Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 94082 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 20:07 - Aug 25 with 2221 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 17:24 - Aug 25 by toboboly

Poor girl

Stokesia

"Nice and vigorous but very compact" Exactly what you want from a baby.
Ashes thread on 20:12 - Aug 25 with 2192 viewseastside_r

Ashes thread on 19:38 - Aug 25 by MelakaRanger

I remember the Botham Ashes match where we came back from the dead to win. Unbelievable.

I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup in the last minute against the Aussies, unbelievable too

Todays Ashes match is every bit as memorable as those two and I’ve been lucky enough to watch all three of them live.

As a cricket-mad youngster in 1981, I never thought I would see a better all-round performance in a series than Botham's. I was proved wrong with Flintoff and I never thought that would be beaten. Half-way through this series, I think that Stokes has surpassed both of them.

4 down at lunch I actually thought we were favourites but then batsmen threw their wickets away (Bairstow, Woakes, Archer) when they should have been holding an end for Stokes and we were gone.

Some luck and some disastrous stuff from the Aussies, but that was out of this world.
Ashes thread on 20:35 - Aug 25 with 2136 viewsnumptydumpty

Thats was simply unreal ....

Bit like the world cup final when stepped on boundary rope when caught and deflection of the bat for more overthrows and winning by a run out - the last few moments of this test were similar

Firstly ridiculous review ie there was only eight needed but it was plainly not out - so ok they probably did not think they would get close to using another review but I felt at the time they did that they could regret it.

My god though if we were australian how peeved would we be over one of the poorest umpire decisions ever - lbw hitting the middle of middle stump - not given and no reviews for australia and even then there was also a simple run out messed up and a tough dropped catch also.

And every six stokes hit seemed to just be hit hard enough to clear the ropes and the fielders.

Also take a bow Jack Leach - not many cricketers wear spectacles on the field - only guptil of New Zealand comes to mind - and the fact he was dripping sweat every ball - and the greatest ever one not out innings in the history of test cricket.

Was pleased for Leach - I almost felt as much tension when he was on strike near the end as was imagining how bad I would feel if I played a crap shot to get out after the heroics Stokes doing at the other end.

But yes if there is a betting market on BBC Sports Personality of the Year - lump on Stokes - its inevitable winner already am sure...

The world cup was incredible - have to say this was more amazing !!!

And against backdrop of the night club incident and the criticism he took - cant say I found all that particularly great but to come back from such scenarios and create what Ben has suddenly achieved in last few months is outstanding

If only our politicians could imitate the passion and patriotic fervour that our very top sportsman seem to be able to ignite - then well sadly that one ain't going to happen

But this was beyond amazing - sublime to the ridiculous

Sir Ben Stokes MBE OBE CBE and whatever else

An unbelievable competitor - Ben Stokes probably the only person in the ground that believed England could win this at times - am sure.

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Ashes thread on 20:36 - Aug 25 with 2134 viewsderbyhoop

England got away with one.
Stokes dropped on 33 and again later. Both difficult.
Stokes was out LBW with 2 required and Lyon fluffed a simple run out.

Stokes' heroics should not be allowed to gloss over England's batting troubles. Roy is not a Test batsman, and Buttler can't buy a run. Bairstow's weaknesses have been exposed for most of the first 3 tests.
There needs to be some changes to the batting line up but don't ask me who.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ashes thread on 20:56 - Aug 25 with 2097 viewsTonto

Ashes thread on 19:56 - Aug 25 by BlackCrowe

Stokes Tonto?

Benjamina Stokes Tonto has a certain ring to it dont you think?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Aug 25 with 2086 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 20:36 - Aug 25 by derbyhoop

Stokes' heroics should not be allowed to gloss over England's batting troubles. Roy is not a Test batsman, and Buttler can't buy a run. Bairstow's weaknesses have been exposed for most of the first 3 tests.

For every silver lining there's a cloud, eh?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Aug 25 with 2061 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Stokes' heroics should not be allowed to gloss over England's batting troubles"

Correct, but TBF I think the way England played 2nd Innings (especially Stokes' marathon 2 off 75 balls or whatever it was, but also Denly, Root) showed they'd taken the point. I've always been a bit sceptical about Bairstow but he was excellent today - his attacking the new ball when England were being strangled was a game changer and put us in a strong position by lunch, and I don't think it was reckless because Stokes was channelling Tavare at the other end. He was also very good at Lord's.

Buttler's out of sorts but I've seen enough of him to say he can bat in Tests. Hard to assess him today since he was run out by Stokes IMO.

Woakes is a bit of a worry actually, I think he needs to go away and work on his batting against short stuff - chances are he'll get a rest with Jimmy back for the last two tests. Still not convinced by Denly though - got the ticker and brain but not sure about the talent.
Ashes thread on 21:36 - Aug 25 with 2036 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Aug 25 by CiderwithRsie

"Stokes' heroics should not be allowed to gloss over England's batting troubles"

Correct, but TBF I think the way England played 2nd Innings (especially Stokes' marathon 2 off 75 balls or whatever it was, but also Denly, Root) showed they'd taken the point. I've always been a bit sceptical about Bairstow but he was excellent today - his attacking the new ball when England were being strangled was a game changer and put us in a strong position by lunch, and I don't think it was reckless because Stokes was channelling Tavare at the other end. He was also very good at Lord's.

Buttler's out of sorts but I've seen enough of him to say he can bat in Tests. Hard to assess him today since he was run out by Stokes IMO.

Woakes is a bit of a worry actually, I think he needs to go away and work on his batting against short stuff - chances are he'll get a rest with Jimmy back for the last two tests. Still not convinced by Denly though - got the ticker and brain but not sure about the talent.

It'd be great to have Anderson back but the only slight fly in the ointment is that bringing him back lengthens the tail with Archer, Broad, Leach and Anderson 8, 9, 10 and 11. I know your top 7 should get enough runs but Woakes does add that bit of extra insurance at number 8.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 22:32 - Aug 25 with 1963 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 21:36 - Aug 25 by CamberleyR

It'd be great to have Anderson back but the only slight fly in the ointment is that bringing him back lengthens the tail with Archer, Broad, Leach and Anderson 8, 9, 10 and 11. I know your top 7 should get enough runs but Woakes does add that bit of extra insurance at number 8.

Yeah, my worry too. But I think the Aussies have worked Woakes out a bit with bouncers. If that's our worry Curran for Woakes might be a good shout.
Ashes thread on 23:17 - Aug 25 with 1899 viewsClive_Anderson

One of the best things I've ever seen. Amazing.

We must have lost the test about 7 times, but still came back to win. I didn't think I'd see anything like the world cup final for a long time, but this was maybe even better.
Ashes thread on 23:34 - Aug 25 with 1867 viewswillis1980

I felt physically sick listening to it on phone whilst on my holidays, my nerves were shot. You always think there’s an outside chance. Someone will really dig in and get the get home and dry, it never happens. This time it did
Ashes thread on 02:23 - Aug 26 with 1815 viewsHooparoo

Was a hell of a game. Well done England. 1-1 and we go again. A certain Mr Smith looks like he’ll be back too for the next one.

All up for grabs still.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 02:32 - Aug 26 with 1805 viewsSharpy36

That`s the French for you

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Ashes thread on 02:32 - Aug 26 with 1801 viewstimcocking

Absolutely magnificent stuff. What a weekend.
Ashes thread on 03:20 - Aug 26 with 1779 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 02:23 - Aug 26 by Hooparoo

Was a hell of a game. Well done England. 1-1 and we go again. A certain Mr Smith looks like he’ll be back too for the next one.

All up for grabs still.

Oz will need Smith back to counter what can only be described as a rampant Stokes. Not to take anything away from 'Wherever-He's-From' Stokes - the period of that ninth-wicket partnership was an awesome, masterful display of confident batsmanship - but Paine effectively lost the game with that ridiculous review in the penultimate over.

It probably won't happen yet, but I'd like to see Smith fully rehabilitated: he should get back the Captain's armband. With a series crying out for Aussie batting performances from everyone but Smith and ersatz-Smith, Paine's 13 run average isn't helping either him or his side.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 03:29 - Aug 26 with 1775 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 02:32 - Aug 26 by Sharpy36

That`s the French for you

Dit Le Coq Noir?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 05:22 - Aug 26 with 1748 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 20:35 - Aug 25 by numptydumpty

Thats was simply unreal ....

Bit like the world cup final when stepped on boundary rope when caught and deflection of the bat for more overthrows and winning by a run out - the last few moments of this test were similar

Firstly ridiculous review ie there was only eight needed but it was plainly not out - so ok they probably did not think they would get close to using another review but I felt at the time they did that they could regret it.

My god though if we were australian how peeved would we be over one of the poorest umpire decisions ever - lbw hitting the middle of middle stump - not given and no reviews for australia and even then there was also a simple run out messed up and a tough dropped catch also.

And every six stokes hit seemed to just be hit hard enough to clear the ropes and the fielders.

Also take a bow Jack Leach - not many cricketers wear spectacles on the field - only guptil of New Zealand comes to mind - and the fact he was dripping sweat every ball - and the greatest ever one not out innings in the history of test cricket.

Was pleased for Leach - I almost felt as much tension when he was on strike near the end as was imagining how bad I would feel if I played a crap shot to get out after the heroics Stokes doing at the other end.

But yes if there is a betting market on BBC Sports Personality of the Year - lump on Stokes - its inevitable winner already am sure...

The world cup was incredible - have to say this was more amazing !!!

And against backdrop of the night club incident and the criticism he took - cant say I found all that particularly great but to come back from such scenarios and create what Ben has suddenly achieved in last few months is outstanding

If only our politicians could imitate the passion and patriotic fervour that our very top sportsman seem to be able to ignite - then well sadly that one ain't going to happen

But this was beyond amazing - sublime to the ridiculous

Sir Ben Stokes MBE OBE CBE and whatever else

An unbelievable competitor - Ben Stokes probably the only person in the ground that believed England could win this at times - am sure.

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!

Interestingly Stokes himself reckons the DRS got it wrong with the no review decision at the end. Says the ball didn't spin and was going down leg side until it flicked his front pad . I guess he'd know, unless he's lying of course!

Unbelievable from Stokes, we were gone when I went to bed last night and I couldn't believe the result when I got up for work. The Aussies choked big time too with Lyon (couldn't happen to a nicer bloke) stuffing up a simple run out and of course that ridiculously daft waste of a review. Stokes completely rattled them.
Ashes thread on 05:51 - Aug 26 with 1743 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 21:19 - Aug 25 by CiderwithRsie

It’s a shame that Stokes was unavailable for the series down under in 2017/18.We might’ve seen a slightly different outcome rather than 4-0.I’m not saying we would’ve won,but we might’ve put up more of a fight with him there.
Shame he showed his fighting spirit in the wrong place.
Ashes thread on 09:20 - Aug 26 with 1638 viewsnix

Labuschagne was dropped twice too, once with a really easy catch when only on 14 and once on 60. England's run chase would have been much smaller. Also England were a bit unlucky when they had their tails up bowling in the first innings that they kept having to go off for rain, allowing Australian batsmen to regroup. The luck wasn't just on England's side, although ours mainly came in the last couple of overs, so seemed more obvious.

We certainly changed tack between the first and second innings with our batting. Never thought I'd see Stokes channeling Geoffrey Boycott. Let's hope they can do that more in the next match. We do need a really steady Eddie opening bat. No one seems to be the obvious choice from what the pundits are saying. It's a shame because our bowling looks pretty exciting with Archer on the team.
Ashes thread on 10:38 - Aug 26 with 1581 viewsBlackCrowe

Day 5 Oval tickets still available.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 10:49 - Aug 26 with 1567 viewsWatford_Ranger

Ashes thread on 10:38 - Aug 26 by BlackCrowe

Day 5 Oval tickets still available.

Gutted I’m away. Well worth risking £25 even if it’s just to possibly get the final hours after an earlyish work finish.
Ashes thread on 11:22 - Aug 26 with 1540 viewsJamesB1979

Joel Wilson for overseas sports personality of the year?
Ashes thread on 13:02 - Aug 26 with 1484 viewsAntti_Heinola

Absolutely brilliant, listening to TMS and not allowing myself to believe they might do it. As good as the World Cup Final, and I thought that was once-in-a-lifetime.

Still, I love scoring a cheap point. Does our resident cricket expert still laughably believe Stokes 'is not a Test batsman'? While accepting his shot in the first innings was one of the worst of his life, his reaction with ball and bat marks him out as one of the world's best. If he's not a Test batter I'm Jude the Cat's grandad.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 13:13 - Aug 26 with 1470 viewsEsox_Lucius

A cricketer wearing glasses.
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2015/03/31/09/Dani

The grass is always greener.

Ashes thread on 13:19 - Aug 26 with 1459 viewsCaptainPugwash

Arrrrrrrrrr...
If'n Sir Geofrey say it be best innings he seas in 50 year then it be so.
An' if'n Our Ben get fined fer "F" ridden Tweet then oy be payin' outta me oan stash o' Dubloons.

Yo Ho!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024