Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So called classic films you’ve never seen. 14:06 - Aug 27 with 9740 viewsSnipper

I’ve never seen:

Gladiator
Pulp Fiction
Braveheart
The Godfather parts 2&3
Taxi Driver

And loads more I can’t think of.

Not classics, but I’ve heard people rave about them:

Any spaghetti western film
Any Harry Potter film
Any Indiana Jones film
Any Fast and Furious film.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 15:19 - Aug 29 with 1976 viewsisawqpratwcity

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 13:51 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

Scary (bizarre) cover for sure, but do watch. Wonderful, wonderful film.

I've never seen the first Terminator. But, I *think* most of the 'classics' I haven't seen are not my kind of movie - Robocop, Terminator etc. However, shamefully I have a real blind spot and have weirdly never seen The Italian Job - seen parts of it, but never the whole thing. Also, The Great Escape, never seen that.

My advice? See Italian Job, it's ok; skip Great Escape (it's ludicrously full of Americans, including James Coburn taking the Oscar for "Worst Australian Accent, Ever" category).

T1 was worth seeing, too. Good call on Sunset Blvd. Billy Wilder was an insane genius.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 15:22]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 15:44 - Aug 29 with 1954 viewskensalriser

You must be under a certain age if you've avoided The Great Escape, because I'm sure it used to be on TV every Easter for years. Perhaps not as many years as I think and certainly, not as many as Bridge Over The River Kwai which I think was a statutory obligation to be screened every sodding bank holiday throughout the year.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 15:50 - Aug 29 with 1957 viewsAntti_Heinola

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 15:44 - Aug 29 by kensalriser

You must be under a certain age if you've avoided The Great Escape, because I'm sure it used to be on TV every Easter for years. Perhaps not as many years as I think and certainly, not as many as Bridge Over The River Kwai which I think was a statutory obligation to be screened every sodding bank holiday throughout the year.

i don't think i am - i remember it always being on, but never sat and watched it!

Bare bones.

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 16:49 - Aug 29 with 1918 viewsEsox_Lucius

Not that I am comparing myself to any sort of benchmark to be applied to this very subjective topic but my most watched films, by number of times watched. (not including Woodstock which was a documentary) are:
1. Pulp Fiction. This film has the highest number of quotable lines of any film I can think of.
2. Dogma. From the opening sequence of two fallen angels utilising The Walrus And The Carpenter as proof that God doesn't exist to a nun in an airport to Jay disrobing during the Apocalypse the film is a Kevin Smith masterpiece of juxtaposition between a ludricrous premise and a believable, well acted film.
3. The Fifth Element. Just an engrossing film from start to finish with a Hoops bonus of featuring One Size in an early scene.

The grass is always greener.

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 17:02 - Aug 29 with 1910 viewsted_hendrix

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 09:04 - Aug 28 by HantsR

Reading this thread, I mused that I had seen and enjoyed most if not all of the 'classic' films - Casablanca and In the Heat of the Night probably my favourites.

Then I realised, I hadn't actually watched Gone with the Wind. Still, tomorrow is another day.

Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger's acting in the the excellent film 'In the Heat of the Night' is up there with best acting from two actors I've ever seen.

Haven't seen 'Rebel Without a Cause'.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 19:07 - Aug 29 with 1874 viewsitsbiga

Midnight Cowboy
Cool Hand Luke
The Hustler
The Graduate
Taxi Driver

In no order, but in my view all faultless movies and must see's.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 19:49 - Aug 29 with 1864 viewsFredManRave

Don't think it's been mentioned yet so what about the classic A Clockwork Orange?!
People talk about classics that last the test of time, well this was a classic ahead of its time. I only watched it for the first time about 10 years ago.

Watch it.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 00:23 - Aug 30 with 1796 views2Thomas2Bowles

2 more must-sees

One flew over the cuckoos nest
Kes

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 00:55 - Aug 30 with 1780 viewsisawqpratwcity

So much appreciation for 12 Angry Men here, I have to post this. I'm sorry it's not the full episode.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 09:49 - Aug 30 with 1713 viewsderbyhoop

There's also films that win awards, could become classics, but not many people have seen them.
Crash won best film Oscar in 2006. I thought it was excellent.
Green Book won it this year. Excellent film, although slightly off-putting seeing French sub-titles under English language dialogue.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:43 - Aug 30 with 1655 viewsYorkRanger

Haven't seen any of the Lords of the Rings films.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:55 - Aug 30 with 1645 viewsR_from_afar

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 00:23 - Aug 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

2 more must-sees

One flew over the cuckoos nest
Kes

I haven't seen the first one but Kes is a great shout. The football match during games at Casper's school is hilarious

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 23:10 - Aug 30 with 1578 viewsnix

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 09:49 - Aug 30 by derbyhoop

There's also films that win awards, could become classics, but not many people have seen them.
Crash won best film Oscar in 2006. I thought it was excellent.
Green Book won it this year. Excellent film, although slightly off-putting seeing French sub-titles under English language dialogue.

I saw Crash and thought it was excellent too. It really played around with your prejudices as you see the characters from different perspectives throughout the film.

I really enjoyed Green Book too.

Tell No One (Ne le dis a personne) is a really good French thriller in a Hitchcockian style.

Love The Graduate and All the Presidents Men

Have never seen Taxi Driver or The Shining. Saw Blade Runner years after it came out and thought it was a pile of pretentious poo. And yes I know it's loads of people's favourite film. But definitely not for me.

Oh and I agree In the Heat of the Night is a fantastic film.

And finally, has anyone seen Tyrannosaur with Olivia Coleman and Peter Mullan? The performances are just extraordinary. But I'm the only person I know who's seen it.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2019 23:25]
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:06 - Aug 31 with 1481 viewsDorse

Horny Housewives 4

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 11:25 - Dec 18 with 1272 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The Babadook.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:27 - Dec 18 with 1220 viewsMick_S

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:06 - Aug 31 by Dorse

Horny Housewives 4

Films you haven't seen Dorse...

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. (n/t) on 12:40 - Dec 18 with 1207 viewsBlackCrowe

[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 12:40]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:41 - Dec 18 with 1204 viewsBlackCrowe

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 20:43 - Aug 27 by queensparker

Whether you think they’re any good or not this is the most impressive achievement- they were about the only films on TV for about 30 years! Surely you saw one even if by accident?

(Live and Let Die is best btw)

I'll see your Live And Let Die and raise you with From Russia With Love.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2019 12:42]

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:42 - Dec 18 with 1203 viewsstowmarketrange

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 16:12 - Aug 27 by Toast_R

Watched it'a a wonderfull Life last xmas. Enjoyed it. I like watching old movies, when you consider pretty much all of the people involved in making it are now brown bread, sends a shiver down ya.

I’m surprised they have never remade this film for the modern era.
I’ve never seen any of the Star Wars films either.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 14:01 - Dec 18 with 1154 viewsDaBurgh

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:42 - Dec 18 by stowmarketrange

I’m surprised they have never remade this film for the modern era.
I’ve never seen any of the Star Wars films either.

Double indemnity - classic 1940's film noir. Fred McMurray as the naive insurance man and Barbara Stanwick as the femme fatale. Gripping stuff. Yes i've seen it. So not really in keeping wiff the fred.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 14:36 - Dec 18 with 1133 viewsCLAREMAN1995

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 12:27 - Dec 18 by Mick_S

Films you haven't seen Dorse...

He didn't see all of it just the first scene or 2
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 14:37 - Dec 18 with 1132 viewsterryb

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 20:43 - Aug 27 by queensparker

Whether you think they’re any good or not this is the most impressive achievement- they were about the only films on TV for about 30 years! Surely you saw one even if by accident?

(Live and Let Die is best btw)

Honestly, I've ever seen one & have had no wish to watch a Bond film. I would rather watch a blank screen! However, I realise that this is rather condescending as I have made a judgement based on no information whatsoever!

On the other hand, I watched In The Heat of The Night for the first time a couple of months ago.

Thank you Talking Pictures.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 15:44 - Dec 18 with 1096 viewsOutWestR

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 23:10 - Aug 30 by nix

I saw Crash and thought it was excellent too. It really played around with your prejudices as you see the characters from different perspectives throughout the film.

I really enjoyed Green Book too.

Tell No One (Ne le dis a personne) is a really good French thriller in a Hitchcockian style.

Love The Graduate and All the Presidents Men

Have never seen Taxi Driver or The Shining. Saw Blade Runner years after it came out and thought it was a pile of pretentious poo. And yes I know it's loads of people's favourite film. But definitely not for me.

Oh and I agree In the Heat of the Night is a fantastic film.

And finally, has anyone seen Tyrannosaur with Olivia Coleman and Peter Mullan? The performances are just extraordinary. But I'm the only person I know who's seen it.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2019 23:25]

Yep, good shout on Tyrannosaur.

If you like a gritty, directorial debut I can recommend Ray & Liz. Chuck in 'Nil by Mouth' and you've got the perfect, miserable British film trio.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 20:08 - Dec 18 with 1044 viewsnix

So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 15:44 - Dec 18 by OutWestR

Yep, good shout on Tyrannosaur.

If you like a gritty, directorial debut I can recommend Ray & Liz. Chuck in 'Nil by Mouth' and you've got the perfect, miserable British film trio.

I haven't seen either of those but will check them out. Thanks OutWest.
So called classic films you’ve never seen. on 09:55 - Dec 19 with 933 viewsdaveB

always enjoy these threads with people saying how bad films are they have never watched or seen and even if you have seen them and didn't like them so what, just move on and watch something else.

I'll stand alone and say I enjoyed Gladiator, Pulp Fiction, Brave heart, all the Godfathers, taxi Driver, All the Marvel Films, Star Wars, terminator & Alien (well the first 3 were good the rest have been crap), Indiana Jones. Disney films are mostly great especially Finding Nemo.
Harry Potter was alright but a bit long, I enjoyed the last Fast and Furious film with the Rock in as well.
I also like James Bond films.

Movies for me are escapism, I enjoy the worlds they take me into and the emotions they create from joy to fear to sadness.

I get those more popular films are frowned on nowadays as we're all supposed to be miserable and hate this stuff and look for meaning but I'm happy to be the odd one out and enjoy them over the more intellectual stuff.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024