Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the season gets cancelled....? 08:34 - Mar 13 with 10993 viewsthame_hoops

If say, the championship season gets cancelled, what do you think would happen with promotion/relegation etc?

Would Leeds be champions and charlton, Luton and Barnsley be relegated?

Or;

Would the season be null and void and restart in August?

Discuss....
If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:27 - Mar 14 with 2561 viewsNorthernr

If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:22 - Mar 14 by stevec

They’re now talking on Sky about WBA and Leeds being promoted to a 22 team PL next season.

Can’t imagine they’d be having the same conversation if Brentford and Preston were top two.

If that happens and I'm Brentford then I'm lawyering up big time.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:31 - Mar 14 with 2541 viewsTGRRRSSS

Brentford too - likewise I thought they were talking about less teams, 22 back in PL???

Even more games to fit in.

Mind you in my view there's loads of down times when they could play a game or 2 earlier in the season and the spread would be easier.

How will the poor dears in PL cope with no tours to the far east in July?
If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:34 - Mar 14 with 2533 viewsMytch_QPR

If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:31 - Mar 14 by TGRRRSSS

Brentford too - likewise I thought they were talking about less teams, 22 back in PL???

Even more games to fit in.

Mind you in my view there's loads of down times when they could play a game or 2 earlier in the season and the spread would be easier.

How will the poor dears in PL cope with no tours to the far east in July?

Sky would be loving that.
MORE FOOTBALL 24 / 7....
More fixtures to f*ck about with an inconvenience to thousands of supporters. Mind you, my mate who is a Villa fan is clinging on to this being the only hope of survival.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:39 - Mar 14 with 2523 viewsTGRRRSSS

They would however all depends when we get going again, in the meantime if there is no sport to watch will people give some of the bits the elbow?

Massive problem initially.

But yeah if they did say 5 relegated next season with extra games etc they would love it - potentially.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 11:48 - Mar 14 with 2500 viewsMarc

I really don't like the idea that a season this far in would all be for nothing if cancelled/reset. You could understand it if only a handful of games in, but not this far.

Obviously far more important things going on, but once the situation is settled then they should look to get it completed.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:15 - Mar 14 with 2454 viewsTGRRRSSS

Thinking about the 22 team idea thats gathering pace - Football Focus right now.

I wonder if they'd be so keen if say Barnsley and Luton (or QPR and Brentford for that matter) were run away leaders as opposed to Leeds and WBA - would they have the same appetite to do this.... I suspect not
If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:52 - Mar 14 with 2390 viewsdodge_stoke_r

If the season gets cancelled....? on 09:21 - Mar 13 by Northernr

All this "behind closed doors" stuff depends on the footballers being superhuman and not catching it themselves. It's nonsense.

Why couldn't this happen. After all it would be two groups of people going about thier work. Just like the rest of the country. Emergency services, shop workers, and well, everyone really and if someone catches it then the company they work for has to carry on as best as best they can. I just dont see why footballers are special case and cant play behind closed doors.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 13:01 - Mar 14 with 2364 viewskensalriser

There aren’t many games left, I think the season will be finished.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

If the season gets cancelled....? on 13:24 - Mar 14 with 2313 viewsterryb

The last "proper" extension to a season that I can remember was in 1963 following the Big Freeze. On the Ist April that season Rangers had 15 league matches still to play & we completed 3 1/2 weeks late on the 22nd May.

I expect that this season will follow a similar path to then, but there are some crucial differences:

1) The clubs are a lot more powerful now. In 1963 the FA & the FL ran everything & dictated to their member clubs.

2) Players are far more powerful now & would probably object to a schedule that included playing every three days.

3) The freeze had ended by the start of April, whereas this season we have no idea when playing can be resumed.

A lot will depend on the stance UEFA take towards the Euro's. I suspect that it will be postponed for a year & that would greatly help the national leagues to complete their fixtures. Based on that assumption I expect that the leagues across europe will be allowed to extend until the end of June with the possibility of playing in July if needed. Next season would then be delayed until late August/September 1st with more midweek games being played.

The problem of players being out of contract at the end of June could be resolved (if required) by the authorities (FA, UEFA, FIFA) permitting the affected players to sign a one month extension (ending 31/7/20) & moving the summer transfer period by a month at either end.

Losses incurred by clubs due to the break should be included in the allowable deductions for FFP & where hardship is proven clubs could be propped up by interest free loans from the FA, PL, EFL. Not that the EFL has the funds to contribute a great amount!

Personally, I'm more worried about how the end of seasson will be resolved at the "non league" level. Will Chesham's attempt at promotion to the National League South be ended due to the leagues not being completed? Will the clubs still have to pay the players for the weeks when matches are not played? Or will they be allowed to exchange those payments for when the matches are completed? There will be many a club secretary & treasurer having nightmares about the ramifications!
If the season gets cancelled....? on 13:49 - Mar 14 with 2265 viewsswitchingcode

If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:15 - Mar 14 by TGRRRSSS

Thinking about the 22 team idea thats gathering pace - Football Focus right now.

I wonder if they'd be so keen if say Barnsley and Luton (or QPR and Brentford for that matter) were run away leaders as opposed to Leeds and WBA - would they have the same appetite to do this.... I suspect not

In fairness if Bees and Qpr were runaway leaders I think we would be having a different conversation
maybe
If the season gets cancelled....? on 14:48 - Mar 14 with 2196 viewsRed_Ranger

have been thinking about latest suggestion flying around.
22 in prem next season with 5 going down.
how about 5 go up as well?
5 up and 5 down every season.
4 up and 1 play-off.

that could make whole thing more interesting/exciting IMHO.

Im voting for this.
If the season gets cancelled....? (n/t) on 14:55 - Mar 14 with 2172 viewsRed_Ranger

If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:15 - Mar 14 by TGRRRSSS

[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 14:57]
If the season gets cancelled....? on 15:12 - Mar 14 with 2131 viewsDavieQPR

If they extend the season will you be able to play out of contract players to make up a side.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 15:59 - Mar 14 with 2054 viewskensalriser

No football but lots of radio shows and column inches that need to be filled with something...

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

If the season gets cancelled....? on 16:01 - Mar 14 with 2046 viewsBoston

Break out the Subbuteo.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

If the season gets cancelled....? on 16:02 - Mar 14 with 2046 viewsdistortR

If the season gets cancelled....? on 15:12 - Mar 14 by DavieQPR

If they extend the season will you be able to play out of contract players to make up a side.

if we got to the play offs, I take it Remy would be available then?
If the season gets cancelled....? on 16:48 - Mar 14 with 1964 viewsClive_Anderson

I read that if the season isn't completed then broadcasters might not have to pay for this season so can get a refund.

I can't see why another 10 games or so can't be squeezed in and then the season shifts up and finishes later instead.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 18:24 - Mar 14 with 1864 viewsJuzzie

Season should be completed. Even if the weather gets hot play evening games even at weekends.
The question of out of contract players is an interesting one. I’d say they should play as they’ve been paid for games not played during the suspension.
However, football and morals don’t go hand in hand.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:07 - Mar 15 with 1677 viewsdaveB

There is no need to overcomplicate it, just finish the season when possible, if thats September then do it then and just extend contracts to the new end date of the season, not ideal I know but is surely the easiest way to do it.

Then for next season you can be more creative, maybe a shorter play each other once season or change the dates from December - September which would actually fit in with the 2022 world cup

This whole well the new season has to start in August thing is no longer the case
If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:33 - Mar 15 with 1651 viewsTGRRRSSS

If the season gets cancelled....? on 13:49 - Mar 14 by switchingcode

In fairness if Bees and Qpr were runaway leaders I think we would be having a different conversation
maybe

Of course but I'm not talking about the average Fans I'm talking about Media and people within the game floating it about in a way that suggests it's something they'd like to try based I suspect on how they view WBA and Leeds.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:59 - Mar 15 with 1608 viewsfrancisbowles

I agree with Dave B. Try and finish the season whenever that is possible. Every team play every three days as necessary. Play cup out and playoffs have a 10 day break and go again when you can.

Next season, maybe split divisions into two halves followed by some sort of 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th playoffs making a shorter season to get things back on track. Next years cup tournaments at the end of the season, when clubs can field weaker teams if international players required for rescheduled Euros. Loss of revenue would be an issue but maybe get league to lobby government and liaise with overseas leagues to get them to lobby EU etc to tax top earning players and feed money back to clubs.

There shouldn't under any circumstances be 'prizes' and relegations handed out on current positions. I would rather write the season off and start again with a new season in August or when possible.
If the season gets cancelled....? on 17:21 - Mar 15 with 1496 viewsswitchingcode

If the season gets cancelled....? on 12:33 - Mar 15 by TGRRRSSS

Of course but I'm not talking about the average Fans I'm talking about Media and people within the game floating it about in a way that suggests it's something they'd like to try based I suspect on how they view WBA and Leeds.

👍
If the season gets cancelled....? on 18:11 - Mar 16 with 1314 viewsloftboy

If and it’s a big if football restarts will Roy Hodgson be in the dugout for Palace seeing as he’s over 70?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

If the season gets cancelled....? on 22:07 - Mar 16 with 1189 viewsKonk

It's only fair to finish this season and then worry about 20/21 afterwards. Whatever form 20/21 took, at least everyone would know where they stood at the outset. Given every European league is in the same boat, I would just sack-off European football for a year to reduce the fixture congestion. Given the money involved, that would never happen, and with the wealthiest clubs turning out B sides for the domestic cup games, I'm not sure that would help with cramming a whole season into 6 months or something.

They should definitely finish this season, though.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

If the season gets cancelled....? on 22:53 - Mar 16 with 1128 viewstimcocking

If i was after a healthy dose of schadenfreude and i could pick who was top if they don't finish the year, i might have picked Leeds and Liverpool. Please God...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024