Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First Away Game 12:49 - Jun 2 with 5259 viewsslmrstid

Right, lets have some football chat

The club have in the last few days asked people to share their memories of their first home game, so on here how about sharing of memories of your first away trip for the R's? Double kudos if your first away game was also your first QPR game full stop.

My first away game was Wolves v QPR at Molineux in August 1996, at the beginning of the 96/97 season.

Things I can remember (I was 7 at the time so I cant remember a great deal)...
- There being an almighty thunder storm on the way up there in my Dad's car
- Going to a supermarket before the game for food and annoying my Dad by being a fussy child and not really wanting any of the children's food on offer
- Seeing the QPR team arrive, and the back of the program listing Kevin Gallen in the QPR team when we all knew he had just had a huge injury (this was in the days when programs just listed the prior match squad of 14)
- We didn't actually have tickets in the away end, so my Dad bought 2 tickets in the home ticket office, then when in the ground asked a steward if we could move to the away end. I think the fact he had a small child with him helped persuade the steward to walk us around the edge of the pitch and in with the QPR fans.
- I can remember absolutely bugger all of the game itself, although it was the game where Dichio scored that volley from approximately* 45,000 yards out

*Approximations may not be very accurate.

So come on then y'all, spill the beans on your first away day memories!

Fun extra fact, my second, and to date last trip to Molineux, came on the Easter weekend in the 2007/08 season when we drew 3-3, having been 3-2 up until the referee decided to play a ridiculous amount of injury time/until Wolves scored. A bloke behind me was going spare as he had put £10 on Ladbrokes Special Bet A in the away end betting booth of Akos Buzsaky to score the first goal and QPR to win 3-2 at 135/1. Akos did of course open the scoring in that match.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:51]
First Away Game on 13:05 - Jun 2 with 2509 viewsEsox_Lucius

Birmingham City vs QPR 9th December 1967. We lost 2-0. All I can really remember is just how big the home terrace was at St. Andrews. Trevor Francis may have scored their goals.

The grass is always greener.

First Away Game on 13:19 - Jun 2 with 2476 viewsstowmarketrange

First away game was West Ham in the league cup in October 1976.I told my dad I was going to the local library for a couple of hours,Instead my mate and me got the bus to Putney Bridge station and a district line train all the way to Upton Park.It seemed to take forever past all these different stops.
I guess we got there about 7.15 and just paid to get into the first place we saw,which I later found out was the chicken run.There were a few other Qpr fans in front of us on the same terrace so I felt safe enough.It was only a month after my 16th birthday and I never thought there would any aggro.
I read through their stupid little half size programme as I waited for the teams to emerge.About 5 mins into the game Frank Lampard snr hacked down Dave Thomas right in front of us.Send the dirty b@stard off I remember shouting.
Just then a few monkey nuts were launched in our general direction,and one bloke shouted “shut yer mouf mate you ain’t at ome now.”
We certainly took the hint and moved away quite quickly to a safer place.We ended up moving about quite a bit over the 90 mins of the game,and we certainly didn’t celebrate either of our goals.We left with about 5 mins left and made it safely back to the station,and finally breathed a sigh of relief once we got past Tower Hill,content with the 2-0 win.And the fact that we hadn’t got battered.
I still got in before my dad got home from the boozer so he never found I’d been there in the end.
First Away Game on 13:36 - Jun 2 with 2425 viewsMrSheen

Mine was the Bob Hazell 2-1 away at West Ham in early 1980 (15 at the time), discussed on here a couple of weeks ago. Me and three friends from school. Never been so terrified, absolutely hooked.
First Away Game on 13:36 - Jun 2 with 2422 viewsJeff

24 years ago - Nov 23 1996 - John Spencer and Gavin Peacock making their debuts in a 2-1 loss at Reading at Elm Park...

QPR Team: Roberts, Brevett, McDonald, Ready, Maddix, Sinclair, Barker, Peacock, Impey, Charles, Spencer.

I've hated Reading ever since...
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 13:37]

Can we not knock it?

First Away Game on 13:54 - Jun 2 with 2372 viewsDiscodroids

West Ham. A 2-1 loss with sweatband kingpin Stuart Pearson scoring for the Irons and bobby hazell scoring a belter past his wn keeper.

It was facking freezing and my old man pissed off at half time to go to the Green Man in Katherine road leaving me with my best mate Richard Smythe with a can of coke and a marathon from Kens Cafe next to the ground.

the long lonely walk home amongst my cockney brethren took about 5 minutes .

I remember they played Flying Lizads' Money' on the tannoy at half time.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 14:01]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

First Away Game on 13:56 - Jun 2 with 2370 viewsAirtomoreira

My first game ever:

Nov 29th 1969: Bolton 6 QPR 4

I should have known then what I'd be letting myself in for......
First Away Game on 13:57 - Jun 2 with 2361 viewsstevec

Think it was last game of the season, April 1969, in a 2-1 loss at Chelsea.

We were already relegated, you could sit in the home sections back then, spent whole match listening to them laughing about going easy on their neighbours. Heard the same stuff on the walk to LR the next season in 2-4 defeat in FAC.

Was made up then, that we battered them game after game for the bulk of the 70’s, made school an absolute pleasure.
First Away Game on 14:02 - Jun 2 with 2341 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I think my first away was the 3rd round FA cup match at the Dell 1992. The game after the famous New Years Day victory over Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Expectations were through the roof as we skipped down the road to the ground. On arrival I marveled at the impossibly wonky stand laid before me.

Memories of the match are few. The team of course didn’t show up and we lost convincingly.

Twas ever thus!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

First Away Game on 14:10 - Jun 2 with 2317 viewsW7Ranger

First ever time watching the R's away from Loftus road was Oct 84 v Reykjavik...

@ Highbury! Won 4-0.

So I guess that doesn't really count.

However, first "away" game was actually v Arsenal. December 86. Lost 3-1, Quinn and Hayes for them. Think Bannister for us, can't be certain.

So Highbury first away ground then.
First Away Game on 14:16 - Jun 2 with 2302 viewsBrianMcCarthy

West Ham for me as well.

August 85. I was 15 and we'd just moved back to Ireland. I was born in London and lived there from 1970 to 75 but pretty sure I was never brought to an away game during those years.

So, back in England and our first away game was at West Ham. I had a soft spot for them and they had a good team. They did us 3-1 with McAvennie getting two . Can't remember who got ours but Parkes was in goal for them.

Don't remember any trouble. Always enjoyed trips to West Ham including one legendary night when our game was postponed and I helped out behind the bar for free drink through a quality lock-in.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

First Away Game on 14:23 - Jun 2 with 2285 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

First Away Game on 13:36 - Jun 2 by Jeff

24 years ago - Nov 23 1996 - John Spencer and Gavin Peacock making their debuts in a 2-1 loss at Reading at Elm Park...

QPR Team: Roberts, Brevett, McDonald, Ready, Maddix, Sinclair, Barker, Peacock, Impey, Charles, Spencer.

I've hated Reading ever since...
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 13:37]

Yep I was at that one too. I was living in High Wycombe at the time and took the bus to Reading which for some inexplicable reason takes an eternity.

Dreadful match. Hate them!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

First Away Game on 14:32 - Jun 2 with 2263 viewsDannytheR

Start of 84/85, got cocky after seeing the moustachioed genius of Wayne Fereday dismantle Forest at LR and tagged along with 2 older kids from school the next Saturday to Tottenham. None of us had been anywhere near it before. I thought north London meant Stonebridge.

Felt nauseous from a hot dog throughout. Central Line was fked by the time we got back to it afterwards.

As usual with us, can’t for the life of me remember the result.
First Away Game on 14:45 - Jun 2 with 2232 viewsW7Ranger

First Away Game on 13:05 - Jun 2 by Esox_Lucius

Birmingham City vs QPR 9th December 1967. We lost 2-0. All I can really remember is just how big the home terrace was at St. Andrews. Trevor Francis may have scored their goals.

Bit too early for Trevor Francs isn't it? Didn't he start playing in the 70's?
First Away Game on 14:52 - Jun 2 with 2210 viewsMrSheen

First Away Game on 14:32 - Jun 2 by DannytheR

Start of 84/85, got cocky after seeing the moustachioed genius of Wayne Fereday dismantle Forest at LR and tagged along with 2 older kids from school the next Saturday to Tottenham. None of us had been anywhere near it before. I thought north London meant Stonebridge.

Felt nauseous from a hot dog throughout. Central Line was fked by the time we got back to it afterwards.

As usual with us, can’t for the life of me remember the result.

If it was the 5-0 when Clive Allen stuck the Vs up at us after his second goal, I can understand why you blanked the result. I hope you went to the next game...5-5. Good old Alan Mullery, never a dull moment.
First Away Game on 15:00 - Jun 2 with 2199 viewsfrancisbowles

First Away Game on 14:45 - Jun 2 by W7Ranger

Bit too early for Trevor Francs isn't it? Didn't he start playing in the 70's?

Debut in 70-71 age 16.
First Away Game on 15:03 - Jun 2 with 2184 viewsW7Ranger

First Away Game on 14:52 - Jun 2 by MrSheen

If it was the 5-0 when Clive Allen stuck the Vs up at us after his second goal, I can understand why you blanked the result. I hope you went to the next game...5-5. Good old Alan Mullery, never a dull moment.

Why did he (Allen) do that? Was he getting abuse or did he part the club on bad terms or something?
First Away Game on 15:08 - Jun 2 with 2172 viewsMrSheen

First Away Game on 15:03 - Jun 2 by W7Ranger

Why did he (Allen) do that? Was he getting abuse or did he part the club on bad terms or something?

Usual carry-on...Reject, Judas, Bannister's better than Allen, he claimed afterwards he was just showing us how many goals he'd scored. By then everyone had forgotten about him and were getting stuck into Mullery!
Come to think of it, there might have been something about him describing it as a dream come true, I think he was supposed to be a Spurs fan. They were a great side then, Hoddle, Falco, Galvin, Hazard, Perryman, Hughton, Roberts..
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 15:22]
First Away Game on 15:16 - Jun 2 with 2144 viewsloftboy

Didn’t start going to away games until 1985, first one was Everton the day they won the league, went to most the following season and didn’t miss many until I got married in 1991, since then it’s been in fit and starts, lots some seasons very few others , my last was Sheffield Wednesday this season.
Edit: just realised I was at the 5-0 at spurs, that must have been my first.
Double Edit: didn’t realise cup finals counted so Wembley 82
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 9:36]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

First Away Game on 15:20 - Jun 2 with 2139 viewsizlingtonhoop

Pretty sure it was this:

15 Oct 1977 Arsenal v Queens Park Rangers W 1-0

The date seems right, and I remember it was 1-0

Malcolm McDonald with what my kids call a 'banger', north bank.
First Away Game on 15:27 - Jun 2 with 2121 viewsGalileo

Was at both those games...the trip to Shite Hart Lane ruined my birthday and by half time the following week I was wondering if being 16 years old was ever going to be fun. The next hour was phenomenal.
First Away Game on 15:29 - Jun 2 with 2113 viewsDannytheR

That's the one. As you can imagine I didn't go again at all for a while. (The Newcastle game included.)

You could do an amazing split screen of Rangers down the years. On one side, us trailing up to Haringey that Saturday, talking in our squeaky voices about how brilliant Mullery was and how he was going to finish what Venables started and win us the title. (Seriously). On the other, the scene many years later when I took my own son to the home game v Swansea at the start of Hughes' first full season in charge. "We've got a brilliant team this year," I told him. "You're going to really love the football this season."

Again, the memory goes blank soon after that.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 15:30]
First Away Game on 15:34 - Jun 2 with 2094 viewsHayesender

Chelsea in the 82/83 season. Asked my mum if me and my mate John could go, and all was OK until John's mum mentioned that Chelsea fans had a bit of a reputation, so that was that.

Or it was until John came up with the brilliant idea of just lying to our mums. Asked our mums this time if we could get a red bus rover and go up to Oxford St.

For some reason this was fine, so we red bussed rovered to stamford Bridge to see us win 2-0. I'm pretty sure Flanagan got one of our goals?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

First Away Game on 15:43 - Jun 2 with 2071 viewsW7Ranger

First Away Game on 15:08 - Jun 2 by MrSheen

Usual carry-on...Reject, Judas, Bannister's better than Allen, he claimed afterwards he was just showing us how many goals he'd scored. By then everyone had forgotten about him and were getting stuck into Mullery!
Come to think of it, there might have been something about him describing it as a dream come true, I think he was supposed to be a Spurs fan. They were a great side then, Hoddle, Falco, Galvin, Hazard, Perryman, Hughton, Roberts..
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 15:22]

Was quite surprised that we got more for Allen the first time we sold him in to Arsenal in '80 (£1.25m), than we did when we sold him to Spurs in '84 (£700k).
First Away Game on 15:48 - Jun 2 with 2061 viewsenfieldargh

7th April 1973 away to Oxford lost 0-2

2nd away game and first away win I witnessed was at Millwall, Don Givens 1-0 two fingered salute to the home fans...thanks Don!!!! There was a thread on this game quite recently

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

First Away Game on 16:04 - Jun 2 with 2031 viewsrrrspricey

Don't remember the date but it was 1970 at a very empty looking Valley with my dad. Finished 1 - 1 if memory serves (i was only 5 tbf!)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024