Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hogan Ephraim Interview 09:52 - Oct 9 with 8705 viewsNorthernr

Agent tales, TGI Friday's with Paulo Sousa, Kevin Bond isn't just Redknapp's driver, and more...

Subscribe to LFW Patreon to listen to it...
https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords

Or read it for free here...
Part one https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53067
Part two https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/53068/

This post has been edited by an administrator
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 09:58 - Oct 9 with 5877 viewsBklynRanger

Cheers, will cue that up for later. Hogan was always one of the more erudite scamps in our ranks.

As proven by even Fat Flav's willingness to let him have his say while Sousa wittered on about Liyalty.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 11:32 - Oct 9 with 5664 viewsPhildo

its great - so much in it an finishes on a great note with the justice league endorsement.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 12:04 - Oct 9 with 5583 viewsdaveB

I've only read part 2 so far mainly for the juicy bits, Kevin Bond sounds like a right prick
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 13:13 - Oct 9 with 5444 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Superb stuff. Really great.

Now, I should do some work I s'pose...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 13:52 - Oct 9 with 5352 viewsTheChef

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 12:04 - Oct 9 by daveB

I've only read part 2 so far mainly for the juicy bits, Kevin Bond sounds like a right prick

Phil Beard fcking useless too.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:06 - Oct 9 with 5317 viewstoboboly

Thanks Clive, really good interview. Interesting in how he walked away, great interview.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:07 - Oct 9 with 5313 viewsNorthernr

Cheers lads. I have to say, really enjoyed this one. Find him a fascinating character.

Also love the “I turned to him and says and he turn to me and says” storytelling technique.

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:52 - Oct 9 with 5187 viewsNW5Hoop

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:07 - Oct 9 by Northernr

Cheers lads. I have to say, really enjoyed this one. Find him a fascinating character.

Also love the “I turned to him and says and he turn to me and says” storytelling technique.

I'd never really thought about him, but there's clearly plenty going on there. I wonder what he thought when Warnock brought Tommy Smith in, knowing they would be in direct competition for the third spot in the trio behind Helguson. And I wonder how good — leaving "I was always confident in my abilities" boilerplate aside - he thought he was. Are players clear eyed about their own abilities as compared to those of other players? Or does the insane ego and drive needed to become a first team footballer at that level mean you never pause to think about that?

I'm working on a music book at the moment, an oral history of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. I've talked to members of so many bands, from the big ones at the very top, to ones no one in their right minds has heard of. But almost all of believe they were genuinely special, even if they never became more than a second division band. All the people I've spoken to have been delightful, so it didn't really feel right to say: "Honestly, have you never realised you really weren't special? It wasn't management's fault or the label's fault you didn't get a hit album. Your songs just weren't all that great." I wonder if it's the same with footballers. There's a bit of "everything that went wrong was someone else's fault" there. But he comes over well.
Login to get fewer ads

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 15:13 - Oct 9 with 5121 viewsTheChef

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:52 - Oct 9 by NW5Hoop

I'd never really thought about him, but there's clearly plenty going on there. I wonder what he thought when Warnock brought Tommy Smith in, knowing they would be in direct competition for the third spot in the trio behind Helguson. And I wonder how good — leaving "I was always confident in my abilities" boilerplate aside - he thought he was. Are players clear eyed about their own abilities as compared to those of other players? Or does the insane ego and drive needed to become a first team footballer at that level mean you never pause to think about that?

I'm working on a music book at the moment, an oral history of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. I've talked to members of so many bands, from the big ones at the very top, to ones no one in their right minds has heard of. But almost all of believe they were genuinely special, even if they never became more than a second division band. All the people I've spoken to have been delightful, so it didn't really feel right to say: "Honestly, have you never realised you really weren't special? It wasn't management's fault or the label's fault you didn't get a hit album. Your songs just weren't all that great." I wonder if it's the same with footballers. There's a bit of "everything that went wrong was someone else's fault" there. But he comes over well.

Well at a professional level I suppose self-belief plays a big part, and if you start questioning that yourself then I assume everyone else will be.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:03 - Oct 9 with 4951 viewsA40Bosh

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:07 - Oct 9 by Northernr

You struck gold there Clive - a great listen all the way through.

It's always the sign of an excellent interview when the interviewer is hardly heard at all in over 2 and a half hours of a conversation.

Hogan comes across as a really nice guy - perhaps that might have been not served him well at times, but it sounds like he is also well able to stand up for himself when he thinks he has been wronged.

I never really picked up on the reason he ended up dropping down two divisions having also been on the fringes of a QPR squad flirting with the premier league during his time at the club. You would have thought that there might have been other Championship or at worst league one clubs who would have come in for him - perhaps as he said, like Paddy K, he had a reputation that gets around clubs that in his eyes at least was totally undeserved.

There are some good interviews doing the rounds at the moment so there is some more insight into that mental period - was it Paddy Kenny or Mackie who recently mentioned the episode with Shaun Derry and Armand Traore and him having to wrestle Traore in to the manager's office to stop him going out to get a can of tear gas out of his car boot to throw in to the changing room at My Lord?

Have to say that PK is another raconteur having been on the Loftcast and Undr The Cosh in the last couple of weeks.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:06 - Oct 9 with 4941 viewseastside_r

Just burned an afternoon listening to that. Absolutely brilliant - the first one I've listened to.

What a great bloke but it takes two to tango. Can't praise this enough.

Bond's disastrous spell as Southend manager is no surprise once you've heard this.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:08 - Oct 9 with 4936 viewsdaveB

can't wait to listen to this properly next week, the bit where Bond tried to force him out without realising he had been at the club for 6 years summed that regime up.
A real shame he never got a chance in the prem under Warnock
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:09 - Oct 9 with 4934 viewsNorthernr

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:06 - Oct 9 by eastside_r

Just burned an afternoon listening to that. Absolutely brilliant - the first one I've listened to.

What a great bloke but it takes two to tango. Can't praise this enough.

Bond's disastrous spell as Southend manager is no surprise once you've heard this.

If you enjoyed that mate you should give lovely Ale and angry Warbs a go.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:15 - Oct 9 with 4912 viewseastside_r

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:09 - Oct 9 by Northernr

If you enjoyed that mate you should give lovely Ale and angry Warbs a go.

I definitely will.

The written word and audio (podcasts are essentially like radio) are very different beasts so I had stuck with the tried and tested i.e. your written stuff.

I suspect that Hogan is a very good interviewee but this medium seems to work well for you as well.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:49 - Oct 9 with 4857 viewsR_from_afar

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 14:52 - Oct 9 by NW5Hoop

Allowing myself to be sidetracked for a moment - plus ca change, as the French say, great name for a prog brand - that book sounds wicked, hats off to you. Have you "done" Tygers of Pantang and Tank? Good luck with the project. Someone I used to work with has written biographies of Rush and Marillion.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 18:10 - Oct 9 with 4823 viewsNW5Hoop

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 17:49 - Oct 9 by R_from_afar

Allowing myself to be sidetracked for a moment - plus ca change, as the French say, great name for a prog brand - that book sounds wicked, hats off to you. Have you "done" Tygers of Pantang and Tank? Good luck with the project. Someone I used to work with has written biographies of Rush and Marillion.

Can't get hold of Algy Ward, and Tank are peripheral. But I have spoken to members of Leppard, Maiden, Tygers, Raven, Venom, Judas Priest, Gillan, Rainbow, Diamond Head, Saxon, Vardis, Girlschool, Angel Witch, Witchfynde, Witchfinder General, Handsome Beasts, Samson, UFO and more who I can't remember off the top of my head. Plus writers, photographers, promoters, A&R people, publicists, fans. Endless three-hour interviews. Got to say, Def Leppard are genuinely the most helpful people in the world.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 18:23 - Oct 9 with 4809 viewsdannyblue

Really enjoyed that, thanks so much.

The surprising thing to learn for me was that Gigi de canio was not a tactical genius. I had it in my mind that we were brilliant with him, that we destroyed teams in the first half, and that other teams just couldn't handle our new-fangled foreign 4231 (which I don't recall in the championship much before then). To hear that instead it was just off the cuff from good players was a surprise to me.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 20:03 - Oct 9 with 4625 viewsHunterhoop

In part 1, who do we think the old boys were who kept going over the bosses’ heads to Briatore and Paladini, and who tried to dump Hogan in re. his lifestyle?

The only one that springs to my mind is Rowlands. Was Gallen still around? Birch? It feels later than that, but it was such a transient time I can barely remember who was around for long then.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 21:10 - Oct 9 with 4511 viewsqueensparker

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 20:03 - Oct 9 by Hunterhoop

In part 1, who do we think the old boys were who kept going over the bosses’ heads to Briatore and Paladini, and who tried to dump Hogan in re. his lifestyle?

The only one that springs to my mind is Rowlands. Was Gallen still around? Birch? It feels later than that, but it was such a transient time I can barely remember who was around for long then.

Legs and Hall sprung to mind for me
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 21:11 - Oct 9 with 4510 viewsJamesB1979

Very interesting to hear him talk about Adel. At my age, Adel is best qpr player I have seen live. The grief he gets kind of grates me but then you listen to Hogan. Almost idolises Adel, remember him saying he was just a kid who wanted to play football. That’s how I’ll remember him in a qpr shirt.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 21:39 - Oct 9 with 4469 viewsBlackCrowe

A lovely bittersweet read of life as first rate footballer. Clearly a decent man and a good judge of character....that in itself is good enough for me. Oh and that Reading goal...thanks for being a key part of one of the, if not the, happiest stage of supporting this fckng club.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 22:35 - Oct 9 with 4398 viewsgigiisourgod

Brilliant stuff, thoroughly enjoyed it. Remember his debut that beautiful sunny day in Bristol. It feels a shame that he didn’t achieve more in the game, but he seems very content with the choices he’s made. Loved him under Sousa and was an integral part of the promotion squad. A great player for us and comes across as an even better person.
Hogan Ephraim Interview on 22:44 - Oct 9 with 4385 viewsDejR_vu

What a top bloke. Comes across as really humble, decent, honest. Just sat and listened to both episodes back to back and didn’t want them to end. I could listen to him for hours.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 22:49 - Oct 9 with 4376 viewsDejR_vu

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 18:23 - Oct 9 by dannyblue

The surprising thing to learn for me was that Gigi de canio was not a tactical genius. I had it in my mind that we were brilliant with him, that we destroyed teams in the first half, and that other teams just couldn't handle our new-fangled foreign 4231 (which I don't recall in the championship much before then). To hear that instead it was just off the cuff from good players was a surprise to me.

Yeah that was interesting. I’ve always thought most managers are hopeless and just stealing a living in an industry where the one-eyed man is king. That sort of backs it up.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 12:14 - Oct 10 with 3890 viewsNorthernr

Hogan Ephraim Interview on 18:23 - Oct 9 by dannyblue

I’d heard at the time that basically the team didn’t understand him/ignored him and did their own thing. Tactics decided in the huddle before kick off and senior players in charge etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024