Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What to do in jan 07:02 - Dec 28 with 2482 viewsPhildo

Stayed off for a couple of days as I was so browned off I knew I could say foolish things.

We now have January coming with league one hovering in the distance and the wage cap down there could really kill us - so going down and rebuilding is not an option.

So what to do and or sign leaving the manager/DOF debate aside to look at short term rescue again.

I personally would like a left back and a centre midfielder in - before a striker tbh- but who is being offered is hard to know. Sheffield weds wages still unpaid so maybe options there?

So who or what do we sign?
What to do in jan on 07:19 - Dec 28 with 2451 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don’t think signings are our route out of this. If we are sacking off Warburton his compensation will take a bite out of our funds I reckon, and anyway I’m not sure what kind of player is going to join us knowing relegation is a valid possibility other than un ambitious journeymen. Perhaps a few loans?

Change in tactics and formation maybe. A narrow 433 perhaps? Not sure our full backs are up to providing the width though. Manning departure looking more costly than the Eze one in my opinion.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 9:00]
What to do in jan on 08:47 - Dec 28 with 2311 viewsQPROslo

We need to strengthen the Squad imo, top priority is goal scorers both up front and from midfield, on loan if necessary. Think the Board need to sanction this, otherwise we are in serious risk of going down whoever the Manager is, which will be more costly in all likelyhood. I'd stick with Warburton.
What to do in jan on 08:56 - Dec 28 with 2288 viewsstowmarketrange

Am I missing something about league 1’s wage cap?
Other teams seem to adapt to it,including Charlton.Why would it hinder us more than it does them?
I’m not saying it would be a bed of Roses if we went down,but why would we suffer from it more than some others who seem to bounce straight back up year after year?
Would it be such a loss to get a few overpaid players who aren’t performing anywhere near well enough for us now out of the club?

How can teams like Barnsley,Millwall and Luton be doing so much better than us on smaller budgets?
What to do in jan on 09:38 - Dec 28 with 2204 viewsstevec

What to do in jan on 08:56 - Dec 28 by stowmarketrange

Other teams seem to adapt to it,including Charlton.Why would it hinder us more than it does them?
I’m not saying it would be a bed of Roses if we went down,but why would we suffer from it more than some others who seem to bounce straight back up year after year?
Would it be such a loss to get a few overpaid players who aren’t performing anywhere near well enough for us now out of the club?

How can teams like Barnsley,Millwall and Luton be doing so much better than us on smaller budgets?

Because they haven’t had to adapt to it.. yet.

At the mo you could take contracted players with you, essentially avoiding the wage cap in part until their contracts ran out, new or updated contracts then having to fulfil the wage cap criteria.

At the moment we have problems competing in the Championship with teams that can outstrip our contracts, with a cap of £18 mill, we’d be in a far better position to compete in future years.

If we were in league one however, you can turn that scenario on its head. Instead of out spending we’d be competing within a very low wage cap of £2.5 mill, suddenly the Accrington Stanley’s find themselves on a level playing field with Sunderland, and if we’re not careful, us.

What fills me with dread is the 4 year contracts given to the likes of Kakay and Hemlining. Are we already ‘preparing’ for next year? I wouldn’t put it past this board.
What to do in jan on 10:25 - Dec 28 with 2084 viewsBAWHoops

The squad is ridiculously light in central midfield. We have 3 players who can operate there

Cameron - 35 years old and broken
Ball - Tries hard but probably not quite the required level
Carroll - Decent enough at this level but can't play 46 games and do it on his own

I'd genuinely be looking for 2 players to bring in here, both on loan or a short term deal to see us through to the end of the season.
One youngster from a Prem club to do the job Amos did and add a bit of energy, another an early 30's player who knows this level (what Cameron was 2 seasons ago).

We also need a left back, desperately. Neither of the two we have are close to the required level. Again, will need to dip into the loan market here as I cannot see us fixing this long term in Jan

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

What to do in jan on 10:31 - Dec 28 with 2065 viewsdaveB

central midfield is the obvious area we need to improve, if we don't we are going down. I think another striker is needed as well as a centre half.
What to do in jan on 10:44 - Dec 28 with 2042 viewsRangersw12

I would go for Jackson Irvine who is a free agent
What to do in jan on 10:53 - Dec 28 with 2018 viewsRangersw12

Login to get fewer ads

What to do in jan on 10:59 - Dec 28 with 2002 viewsbosh67

What to do in jan on 08:56 - Dec 28 by stowmarketrange

"How can teams like Barnsley,Millwall and Luton be doing so much better than us on smaller budgets?"

Because they aren't dealing with the longterm ramifications of the world's biggest FFP fine. Simple as that.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What to do in jan on 11:08 - Dec 28 with 1965 viewsfrancisbowles

What to do in jan on 10:59 - Dec 28 by bosh67

"How can teams like Barnsley,Millwall and Luton be doing so much better than us on smaller budgets?"

Because they aren't dealing with the longterm ramifications of the world's biggest FFP fine. Simple as that.

That fine that the owners were paying.

I get the normal FFP budget and that covid has hammered our finances but if there is any money left in either the club or the owners pockets, now is the time to invest a little in the squad to try and get us to safety.
What to do in jan on 11:25 - Dec 28 with 1915 viewsstowmarketrange

What to do in jan on 11:08 - Dec 28 by francisbowles

That fine that the owners were paying.

I get the normal FFP budget and that covid has hammered our finances but if there is any money left in either the club or the owners pockets, now is the time to invest a little in the squad to try and get us to safety.

My thoughts exactly.The owners picked up the tab for their previous mistakes,so why can’t we compete with some other clubs similar,or even smaller than us,who haven’t just sold their star player for £20 million either?
Last season was a breath of fresh air in terms of some of the football played,but that seems to have been a temporary bright spot in a sh@t show of scraping along the bottom of the table for the last 5-6 seasons.And IF we stay up this season,why should it be any better next season?
Why do we keep getting it wrong time after time after time?
What to do in jan on 11:50 - Dec 28 with 1866 viewsWadR

Agree with most people's posts in this thread. Think we are really weak in CM and to a lesser extent at fullback. And all over the pitch, we are lacking leaders.

Of course issues go deeper than signings and it's not sustainable to constantly be demanding more players but think of the lift signings like Rangel, Wells, Freeman have made in recent seasons. A good vocal fullback and a mobile central midfielder would change things.
What to do in jan on 12:53 - Dec 28 with 1793 viewsbosh67

We do things like renaming the ground really well. We have players/staff that take time out to talk to disabled fans and people like me who have lost family members. There is no better club in the land than us at that.

We're just sh*t at the football bit so perhaps we should ditch that?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

What to do in jan on 13:53 - Dec 28 with 1682 viewsBenny_the_Ball

What to do in jan on 10:59 - Dec 28 by bosh67

The EFL made it a condition of the deal that the fine be payable by the owners, not the club. It does not count towards current P&S calculations.

The truth of the matter is that Mittal reduced his shareholding (presumably because he got fed up with having to bankroll the board's crazy spending) and the remaining shareholders decided to stop spending on the club. The FFP fine has since been used as a smokescreen to justify their decision to move to austerity.

In any event, Barnsley and Luton still have smaller budgets yet are making a better fist of this season. This leads me to believe that our problems are not solely financial.
What to do in jan on 13:54 - Dec 28 with 1679 viewsterryb

I don't like the loan market & I have no clue as to who could be available.

However, I do remember that in January 2006(?) we signed Cullip & Bolder & those two signings saved us from what seemed like a certain relegation. I'm not sure if they were loans or not though! The equivalalent of those two are very much on my wish list!

The following season we signed Vine & Ephrain on loan when we were in the mire & their impact was a great lift to the team.

Hopefully our management team are aware that we need these kind of signings & know who the players are that will be available & able to deliver this!
What to do in jan on 14:01 - Dec 28 with 1663 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Given the uncertainty around the manager's job the only sensible move is to dip into the loan market. Central midfield is key for me as it is currently lacking on many levels. It affords the defence little protection, contributes few goals and lacks creativity.
What to do in jan on 14:29 - Dec 28 with 1619 viewsgolborne

Glenn Murray, regardless of age. If nothing else our two development strikers might learn from him in the coming months
What to do in jan on 16:08 - Dec 28 with 1504 viewsMyke

What to do in jan on 09:38 - Dec 28 by stevec

Because they haven’t had to adapt to it.. yet.

At the mo you could take contracted players with you, essentially avoiding the wage cap in part until their contracts ran out, new or updated contracts then having to fulfil the wage cap criteria.

At the moment we have problems competing in the Championship with teams that can outstrip our contracts, with a cap of £18 mill, we’d be in a far better position to compete in future years.

If we were in league one however, you can turn that scenario on its head. Instead of out spending we’d be competing within a very low wage cap of £2.5 mill, suddenly the Accrington Stanley’s find themselves on a level playing field with Sunderland, and if we’re not careful, us.

What fills me with dread is the 4 year contracts given to the likes of Kakay and Hemlining. Are we already ‘preparing’ for next year? I wouldn’t put it past this board.

Your last paragraph is probably a bit harsh. We are annoyed that BOS and Manning weren't/aren't tied down to longer contracts, so we can't really complain when two potential prospects are. Don't think we can go far wrong really, both are important members of the first team squad, pretty sure the weekly wage would be quite low and if they do improve significantly over the next 2 years or so, we will be in a strong selling position
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024