Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest winger? 14:20 - Jan 28 with 7989 viewsdutch

Having just lost BOS, who was the greatest out and out winger ever to wear the hoops? Do I close this down by saying Dave Thomas?
Greatest winger? on 15:15 - Jan 28 with 1576 viewskensalriser

I read the OP as a definitive statement that BOS is the greatest out and out winger ever to wear the hoops.

A colon would have made all the difference. It's not easy being a grammar pedant.

And yes, Dave Thomas in my time. If Lazarus was better he must have been very good.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Greatest winger? on 15:33 - Jan 28 with 1546 viewswelwynranger

Greatest winger? on 14:41 - Jan 28 by dutch

was Wayne Fereday the fastest?

Barry Bridges was fast
Greatest winger? on 16:02 - Jan 28 with 1523 viewsCamberleyR

Greatest winger? on 14:32 - Jan 28 by PinnerPaul

As to be Dave, purely for the level he played at.

Didn't he make 3 goals for Malcolm Macdonald for England at Wembley once?

Two. He made the last two in MacDonald's five against Cyprus, the first with his first touch after coming on as sub (4:50 in the video)

Needless to say as part of my avatar has Dave in it, he has to be the best for me.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Greatest winger? on 16:06 - Jan 28 with 1502 viewsQPRSteve

Generally agree with what's been said so far, but would like to add the Morgan twins into the mix.

I think Ian Stewart suffered from being kicked from pillar to post every time he played.
Greatest winger? on 16:07 - Jan 28 with 1502 viewsAntti_Heinola

Only seen clips, but DT takes it.

I love a wnger - loved Sints, Sinclair, Imps.

But during my decades of watching, it's Cookie for me. I love that lad and no one will ever take away from me that performance against Palace. Butterfield (I think it was), is still crying in the shower, scrunched into a ball, wailing about his lost soul. Also loved a diving header. Left foot that could open a tin of peaches.

People talk about Bolder and Cullip saving us in that season with Gregory. They were important, sure, but it was Cookie. It was always Cookie.

Bare bones.

Greatest winger? on 16:11 - Jan 28 with 1484 viewsqpr_1968

Greatest winger? on 14:34 - Jan 28 by enfieldargh

Yes Dave Thomas for me too

One that never blossomed as I had hoped was Ian Stewart

thought ian stewart was one of the best wingers i'd seen.
the manager at the time wanted and changed, his style of play.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Greatest winger? on 16:11 - Jan 28 with 1484 viewsPeterHucker

Best I've seen in my time of watching QPR is definitely Andy Sinton.
Not only a very good dribbler / crosser / finisher but also incredibly resilient. Many opposition teams would target him & try to kick him out of the game, but he'd just keep on getting back up and playing on.

After that it would be Trevor Sinclair, Lee Cook, Andy Impey & Wayne Fereday.
Had a big soft spot for Kevin McLeod too. He had his faults for sure, but that left foot could whip in a great cross.
Greatest winger? on 16:14 - Jan 28 with 1474 views2Thomas2Bowles

A nod to my user name and the thread should have been locked from the first post.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest winger? on 16:17 - Jan 28 with 1463 viewsKingstan

Socks rolled down for DT.
Greatest winger? on 16:18 - Jan 28 with 1455 viewsCorbyQPR

Kyle Walker - well it felt like he was a winger!
Greatest winger? on 16:19 - Jan 28 with 1453 viewsQPR_John

Another vote for Dave Thomas.
Greatest winger? on 16:26 - Jan 28 with 1444 viewsBucksRanger

Greatest winger? on 14:40 - Jan 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Before my time. I bow to your knowledge, Bucks.

Brian, Mark Lazarus was fast, strong and aggressive. Opposition defenders always knew they were in for a physically tough time. He was also a consummate showman.

One particular incident I remember was him taking a corner up the Loft end. It was a very swirly, windy day and, with everyone lined up in the box, he indicated with an arcing hand movement that he was going to put the ball direct into the opposition net.

He carefully placed the ball, then adjusted its position lightly. He took the kick and the ball was travelling into the top corner only for the opposition goalie to get a hand to it and turn the ball over the crossbar for another corner.

Mark just smiled and shrugged. Then he placed the ball again and made the same arcing hand motion. He intended to try again. He stood there, then appeared to note the windy conditions. He stopped and put his finger in his mouth, held it out in front of him and tested the wind direction. He nodded to himself. Made his run up. And firmly planted the ball in exactly the same top corner of the goal. This time the opposition goalie didn't get a hand to it and Mark achieved the direct from a corner goal he'd just indicated. The crowd went crazy of course.

When I see another QPR winger do that, I'll know we have a winger as great as Mark Lazarus.
Greatest winger? on 16:28 - Jan 28 with 1440 viewsted_hendrix

Dave Thomas would run out at 2.58 on a Saturday afternoon, run over the the Ellerslie Road stand, take his shin pads out and throw them onto the touchline, he would then spend the next 90 minutes destroying any opposition player who had the misfortune to be in front of him, he was an all weather player, muddy pitch? no problem to Dave.

Mentioned this before but we Christened our first Son Dave Thomas.

My favourite QPR player of all time.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Greatest winger? on 16:31 - Jan 28 with 1433 viewsDavieQPR

We've had so many down the years. As well as the previously mentioned The Morgan twins weren't too shabby. Clive Clarke, Roy Wegerlie and Trevor Sinclair also come to mind. Having seen them all from Conway Smith onwards I think my vote would be for Thomas by a whisker.
Greatest winger? on 16:35 - Jan 28 with 1413 viewsWren67

Greatest winger? on 16:17 - Jan 28 by Kingstan

Socks rolled down for DT.

Yes. DT with his socks rolled down.
Key man in the best ever Rssssss team.
Greatest winger? on 17:00 - Jan 28 with 1369 viewsTHEBUSH

I"m old enough to remember Clive Clark and he was really good.

For me it's between him and Dave Thomas.

I loved the way Dave used to cross the ball early, without getting complicated.

If I have to choose , it's Dave Thomas for me, for his direct play.
Greatest winger? on 17:02 - Jan 28 with 1356 viewsgazza1

Mark La La Lazarus was a great winger, Dave Thomas was a good and I enjoyed watching him and Barry Bridges was most enjoyable. Fereday was another favourite of mine and I would suggest the fastest we had. Dont forget Sinclair and Sinton too.

You can forget Lee Cook, very average indeed, despite many thinking he was a good player but he does bring back fond memories for me of Norf being a proper young rascal, attending matches with his Uncle(??), and Lee Cook being his favourite player who could not do anything wrong!!! I had some good laughs with that man who for the life of me I cannot remember his name.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 17:08]
Greatest winger? on 17:03 - Jan 28 with 1353 viewssimmo

Thomas and other before my time, but I would say Sinclair was my favourite - although I concede Sinton was probably the better player for us... Cook though seemed more 'QPR' than any of them, so it's a rizla paper between the 3 of them.

All 3 should make top 5 all-time though, shirley?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Greatest winger? on 17:19 - Jan 28 with 1326 viewsPinnerPaul

Greatest winger? on 16:02 - Jan 28 by CamberleyR

Two. He made the last two in MacDonald's five against Cyprus, the first with his first touch after coming on as sub (4:50 in the video)

Needless to say as part of my avatar has Dave in it, he has to be the best for me.

Cheers
Greatest winger? on 17:22 - Jan 28 with 1317 viewsStanisgod

Thomas
Sints
Sinclair
Cook
Never saw Lazarus

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Greatest winger? on 17:53 - Jan 28 with 1255 viewsQPROslo

Dave Thomas.
Greatest winger? on 18:08 - Jan 28 with 1241 viewsWatfordR

I think it was Alan McDonald's testimonial v Chelsea, around the start of the 1990s (?), I was sat in front of the press box in SAR, and I remember a journo sat behind me asking "Who's the young fella playing down the left wing?"

The "young fella" was of course Dave Thomas, who must have been in his late 30s/early 40s by then. Best winger I've seen play for us. Though I think it might also have been that game that George Best pulled on the Hoops!
Greatest winger? on 18:18 - Jan 28 with 1224 viewsdaveB

Bit of Dave Thomas for you

Greatest winger? on 18:19 - Jan 28 with 1218 viewsdaveB

Greatest winger? on 18:08 - Jan 28 by WatfordR

I think it was Alan McDonald's testimonial v Chelsea, around the start of the 1990s (?), I was sat in front of the press box in SAR, and I remember a journo sat behind me asking "Who's the young fella playing down the left wing?"

The "young fella" was of course Dave Thomas, who must have been in his late 30s/early 40s by then. Best winger I've seen play for us. Though I think it might also have been that game that George Best pulled on the Hoops!

It was, George best playing for QPR and pictured with our new star signing Dominic Iofra
Greatest winger? on 18:45 - Jan 28 with 1176 viewsterryb

Definitely Dave Thomas.

It is good to see Mark lazarus & the Morgans being mentioned, buy from the 60's Clive clark was the best! He played far more games at the top level than the other three.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024