Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest winger? 14:20 - Jan 28 with 7986 viewsdutch

Having just lost BOS, who was the greatest out and out winger ever to wear the hoops? Do I close this down by saying Dave Thomas?
Greatest winger? on 18:57 - Jan 28 with 1802 viewsStanisgod

Greatest winger? on 18:08 - Jan 28 by WatfordR

I think it was Alan McDonald's testimonial v Chelsea, around the start of the 1990s (?), I was sat in front of the press box in SAR, and I remember a journo sat behind me asking "Who's the young fella playing down the left wing?"

The "young fella" was of course Dave Thomas, who must have been in his late 30s/early 40s by then. Best winger I've seen play for us. Though I think it might also have been that game that George Best pulled on the Hoops!

Yeah remember that, didn't Gerry and Stan play, and Gerry was still three passes ahead of everyone else.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Greatest winger? on 20:21 - Jan 28 with 1728 viewsDiggertheMole

Dave Thomas - untouchable
Roger Morgan
Andy Sinton
Mark Lazarus
Clive Clark
Andy Impey
Mike Ferguson

I think that's the right order - plenty of others spring to mind - but they weren't necessarily out and out wingers -I've not included Bright O-S not because I don't rate him but because he's not been part of a "successful"(sic) Rangers side. Best I've seen was DT.
Greatest winger? on 20:56 - Jan 28 with 1705 viewsderbyhoop

Dave Thomas, followed by Sinton. Both miles ahead of any competition.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Greatest winger? on 21:03 - Jan 28 with 1704 viewslightwaterhoop

Dave Thomas by a country mile.After Dave i would chose Andy Impey always thought we were in the game when he was playing.
Greatest winger? on 21:29 - Jan 28 with 1671 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

In the context of the division they were playing in rather than their pinnacle ability, Cook or Ainsworth.
Greatest winger? on 21:45 - Jan 28 with 1646 viewsLythamR

Dave Thomas, he absolutely murdered the the cream of the country's defenders

I missed out on Lazarus but my old man insisted he was the best even after watching Thomas and told me the story of the corner goal outlined above
Greatest winger? on 21:54 - Jan 28 with 1632 viewsMalintabuk

Some great wingers here.... Lazarus was my first look at a great winger.... another great story of him tearing down South Africa Road wing clutching his shorts with the full back then after failing to stop him by ripping his shorts off trying to hack him down
Roger Morgan rather than the twins Roger I thought was the better player
Barry Bridges was mentioned but was not your typical winger.... if I remember correctly he scored our first ever goal in the top flight
Another "winger", well he wore the 11 shirt was Don Givens.... great player
But think it must be Thomas.... though in fairness to the others he played in a much better team
[Post edited 28 Jan 2021 21:57]
Greatest winger? on 22:10 - Jan 28 with 1599 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I'd put BOS on a par with Matty Phillips and below Routledge and Hoilett.

Top 3 wingers I've seen probably

1. Sinton
2. Sinclair
3. Cook

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest winger? on 22:28 - Jan 28 with 1574 viewsBeauRanger

Got to be DT
Greatest winger? on 22:48 - Jan 28 with 1551 viewsShotKneesHoop

Clive Clark and Mark Lazarus on either wing were brilliant - no wonder Brian Bedford got so many goals in the sixties.

But Mark get it for performance, goals and personality - his strike rate was about 1 goal every 3 games - a phenomenal record... and he is the only winger to score at Wembley. so that settles it.

Lazarus, Lazarus, Lazarus, .!!!!!

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Greatest winger? on 00:08 - Jan 29 with 1489 viewsBucksRanger

Greatest winger? on 22:48 - Jan 28 by ShotKneesHoop

Clive Clark and Mark Lazarus on either wing were brilliant - no wonder Brian Bedford got so many goals in the sixties.

But Mark get it for performance, goals and personality - his strike rate was about 1 goal every 3 games - a phenomenal record... and he is the only winger to score at Wembley. so that settles it.

Lazarus, Lazarus, Lazarus, .!!!!!

Just checked Mark's stats - he played 206 games for the Rangers in 3 separate spells and scored 76 goals. That's a goal every 2.7 games.

Dave Thomas, as great as he was, played 182 games for us and scored 27 goals. A goal every 6.7 games.

Nobody will ever convince me that Mark Lazarus wasn't the best ever winger this club of ours has ever had.
Greatest winger? on 00:17 - Jan 29 with 1485 viewsCiderwithRsie

Greatest winger? on 18:57 - Jan 28 by Stanisgod

Yeah remember that, didn't Gerry and Stan play, and Gerry was still three passes ahead of everyone else.

Think that might have been Stan's testimonial for Brentford, I remember Gerry as outstanding then, actually made me sad for what England had missed.
Greatest winger? on 00:37 - Jan 29 with 1476 viewsjohncharles

Dave Thomas. I must have seen every game he played at Loftus Road but would still sometimes think he had pushed the ball too far ahead and was travelling too fast to cross it before he ended up in crowd. A lot of defenders must have thought that as well and gave up because it looked impossible.
A lot of great wingers mentioned here. I’d like to put in a word for Leighton James (OK so I’m Welsh)
Beat defenders not with pace but with great dribbling skills.

Strong and stable my arse.

Greatest winger? on 12:41 - Jan 29 with 1340 viewsW7Ranger

Greatest winger? on 16:26 - Jan 28 by BucksRanger

Brian, Mark Lazarus was fast, strong and aggressive. Opposition defenders always knew they were in for a physically tough time. He was also a consummate showman.

One particular incident I remember was him taking a corner up the Loft end. It was a very swirly, windy day and, with everyone lined up in the box, he indicated with an arcing hand movement that he was going to put the ball direct into the opposition net.

He carefully placed the ball, then adjusted its position lightly. He took the kick and the ball was travelling into the top corner only for the opposition goalie to get a hand to it and turn the ball over the crossbar for another corner.

Mark just smiled and shrugged. Then he placed the ball again and made the same arcing hand motion. He intended to try again. He stood there, then appeared to note the windy conditions. He stopped and put his finger in his mouth, held it out in front of him and tested the wind direction. He nodded to himself. Made his run up. And firmly planted the ball in exactly the same top corner of the goal. This time the opposition goalie didn't get a hand to it and Mark achieved the direct from a corner goal he'd just indicated. The crowd went crazy of course.

When I see another QPR winger do that, I'll know we have a winger as great as Mark Lazarus.

Gregory Goodridge ?

Ginooooooooooooooo ?
Greatest winger? on 15:06 - Jan 29 with 1296 viewsPinnerPaul

Greatest winger? on 18:18 - Jan 28 by daveB

Bit of Dave Thomas for you

Thanks Dave

Come on folks, its not even close is it?!
Greatest winger? on 16:44 - Jan 29 with 1258 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Greatest winger? on 16:28 - Jan 28 by ted_hendrix

Dave Thomas would run out at 2.58 on a Saturday afternoon, run over the the Ellerslie Road stand, take his shin pads out and throw them onto the touchline, he would then spend the next 90 minutes destroying any opposition player who had the misfortune to be in front of him, he was an all weather player, muddy pitch? no problem to Dave.

Mentioned this before but we Christened our first Son Dave Thomas.

My favourite QPR player of all time.

I don’t think we can underestimate the challenges posed by playing on a quagmire at a time of general thuggery being dished out on a weekly basis by right backs.

Thomas everyday of the week for me.

That said: Cook, Sinton and Sinclair were bloody good.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Greatest winger? on 18:39 - Jan 29 with 1217 viewsThe_Beast1976

Greatest winger? on 16:44 - Jan 29 by PlanetHonneywood

I don’t think we can underestimate the challenges posed by playing on a quagmire at a time of general thuggery being dished out on a weekly basis by right backs.

Sinton. I did also like Impey. Cook fantastic as well
Greatest winger? on 19:30 - Jan 29 with 1194 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest winger? on 16:44 - Jan 29 by PlanetHonneywood

Possibly the weirdest down-arrow ever.

So I added another, Honney.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest winger? on 19:44 - Jan 29 with 1180 viewsT_Block

Probably Thomas

personal favourite was Cook

Sinclair Impey Sinton all close all wonderful
Greatest winger? on 20:39 - Jan 29 with 1157 viewsLazyFan

Greatest winger? on 18:08 - Jan 28 by WatfordR

I think it was Alan McDonald's testimonial v Chelsea, around the start of the 1990s (?), I was sat in front of the press box in SAR, and I remember a journo sat behind me asking "Who's the young fella playing down the left wing?"

The "young fella" was of course Dave Thomas, who must have been in his late 30s/early 40s by then. Best winger I've seen play for us. Though I think it might also have been that game that George Best pulled on the Hoops!

It gets even better when I remember in that game Chelscum had some of their first team out and the RB was indeed a first-team player.

Thomas skinned him hard, dribbling with both feet this way, that way, again and again, ran him ragged. Thomas must have been 20 years older than him and he did him for pace again and again as well as the crossing and dribbling.

People in the crowd were saying things like "we should bring him back". And "if your good enough your young enough". "There is no excuse for Gerry and Besty now".

I mostly saw Fereday onwards, but really one can look back and from that game alone see Thomas who was way past his prime, was still good enough to play top-flight football many years after retiring.

He was that good.

zzzzzzzzzz

Greatest winger? on 20:46 - Jan 30 with 1086 viewsdixiedean

Winger not whinger !
Greatest winger? on 23:52 - Jan 30 with 1036 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Greatest winger? on 20:39 - Jan 29 by LazyFan

It gets even better when I remember in that game Chelscum had some of their first team out and the RB was indeed a first-team player.

Thomas skinned him hard, dribbling with both feet this way, that way, again and again, ran him ragged. Thomas must have been 20 years older than him and he did him for pace again and again as well as the crossing and dribbling.

People in the crowd were saying things like "we should bring him back". And "if your good enough your young enough". "There is no excuse for Gerry and Besty now".

I mostly saw Fereday onwards, but really one can look back and from that game alone see Thomas who was way past his prime, was still good enough to play top-flight football many years after retiring.

He was that good.

He was unreal in that game.

Great post by you to get that across.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Greatest winger? on 00:41 - Jan 31 with 1015 viewstimcocking

On this site, would it be L Block? Oh, wingers. Sorry. Ahem.
Greatest winger? on 13:38 - Jan 31 with 963 viewsShotKneesHoop

Still say Lazarus was the best - his record says so. And his goal at Wembley in 67 won us the Cup.

End of.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Greatest winger? on 13:53 - Jan 31 with 954 viewsterryb

Greatest winger? on 13:38 - Jan 31 by ShotKneesHoop

Still say Lazarus was the best - his record says so. And his goal at Wembley in 67 won us the Cup.

End of.

He only played 9 games in the top division although he did manage 3 goals.

I don't see that this record states he was the best.

The most popular? Possibly, but the best?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024