Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread 11:22 - Mar 1 with 33666 viewsDorse

It was 1874 and Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw was reeling after being laid off from Bickerthwaites Clog Factory after 10 years service.
'Unemployed. On t'scrag 'eap at the age o' 17' he sighed to Hector his faithful whippet as he trudged wearily down roads that would later be copyrighted by Hovis.* Even putting another ferret down his trousers couldn't lift his gloom. It helped but only briefly. It were no good. He'd heard that a young man of action could make his fortune down int' that there London - mebbe there'd be a place for a lad such as him, a hearty cherub of a lad with only a hint of tuberculosis, a squint and an orthapaedic clog. He packed his bag, said goodbye to his 19 siblings and got onto the first train South...

Today, visitors from Barnsley are equally as dazzled by the sights, sounds and smells of that there London. The running water. The electricity. The complete lack of incesant brass band music. It all adds up to a heady assault on the senses. And yet, the hopes and dreams of Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw are still very much evident in the coal-streaked faces of the Barnsley team that come looking for fame, glory or a chip and gravy barm cake. As manager Valerian Ismael says 'It'd be easer for a Grimethorpe pigeon fancier t' gerrint Belper whippet racin' club'house than t' gerra win theer'.

2-0 Rangers.

* Even though they were actually in Shaftesbury.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:20 - Mar 4 with 1449 views1MoreBrightonR

I'm just amazed this game and our performance both get way more negative feedback than the Birmingham game, which in my mind, was one of the most typical, awful championship games I've seen. It had virtually no entertainment value whatsoever.

We have people on here, watching two mid to lower championship teams, referencing Dutch football styles....
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:53 - Mar 4 with 1388 viewsjoe90

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:11 - Mar 3 by dutch

If that was a lesson on how to win in the championship I'd rather not. We were abject, worse than useless by sinking to their level, but if that is what it takes to be successful then count me out. I honestly think that is some of the ugliest, most base football I've ever witnessed. Isn't this supposed to be the beautiful game? Isn't there some elan or pattern to be gleaned in this thing we give so much of our time and passion to? There was no joy or entertainment in that lowest common denominator trash fest.

It's shame you found the game such a turn off.

There's a lot to unpack about what exactly constitutes an entertaining game of football vs a technically proficient performance. Sometimes the two don't go hand in hand.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:10 - Mar 4 with 1365 viewskensalriser

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:04 - Mar 4 by BucksRanger

Linzer Athletik-Sport-Klub.

For the 2019—20 Austrian Football Bundesliga Ismaël was succeeding Oliver Glasner as the new head coach and sporting director of Austrian team LASK. In the first few months of his tenure, he led the team to the best start in the club's history (17 points from 8 games). He also led LASK to a first ever appearance in the UEFA Champions League play-offs. After beating favourites FC Basel the team fell short against Club Brugge. In LASK's first ever appearance in the UEFA Europa League the team won the group with Sporting Lisbon, PSV Eindhoven, and Rosenborg Trondheim. After beating AZ Alkmaar in the round of 32, LASK lost against Manchester United. After the Corona induced pause, LASK trained a couple of days too early with full body contact. It was heavily criticised by other clubs, and the media. The team did not play well any more, and 4 points were deducted for breaching the Corona rules, which let them end on fourth position in the league. LASK parted ways with Ismaël on 11 July 2020, as Dominik Thalhammer became available who succeeded him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3%A9rien_Isma%C3%ABl

I can imagine the unbridled delight and joy here had we appointed an unknown manager whose previous gig was for a club from an Austrian town significantly better known for it's eponymous cake than its football club.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:16 - Mar 4 with 1349 viewsted_hendrix

During our promotion season under Warnock we 'stunk the place out' on our travels, Doncaster away where we won 1-0 awful game from memory, and Fratton Park where we stole a draw in the dying seconds.
At Scunthorpe where the much maligned Rob Hulse put us in front with a classy header but on that occasion we 'stunk the place out' so much we ended up losing 4-1.

Warnock out etcetera etcetera..................

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:35 - Mar 4 with 1304 viewsMatch82

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:16 - Mar 4 by TacticalR

According to that Wiki article he's an Alsatian.

That would explain some of the playing style
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 13:40 - Mar 4 with 1280 viewsdannyblue

Just to put my stake in the ground I thought the game was very entertaining. I wouldn't want to watch it every week. But it was a very different challenge, and always good to see something new, and a team do what they do so well
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 15:47 - Mar 4 with 1179 viewsPinnerPaul

Deep breath, haven't read anything yet so apologies for any repetition.

Thought we were beaten by the most effective side we have played this season, maybe not the 'best' but certainly most effective.

Still think we have to look at the bigger statistical picture, that's 19 points from 10 games, yes its 1 from 9, but lets just hope we can go on another run with 3/4 at 'home' upcoming.

Referee - Not too bad, but I did think he missed 3 yellows;

1) The foul by Barnsley 1st half over by touchline that was very similar to the one Willock got booked for at the weekend but much further up the pitch
2) Johansson's tackle through the back of oppo player in 2nd half
3) Missed a poor Dykes late one in the 1st half

The foul before their 2nd goal WAS a foul and the Dickie yellow was correct.

There is a certain referee who would have given out 5/6 cards last night, so this is preferable to that.

Finally the blatant dive by Barnsley player - I'm not blaming the ref for that, if players want to do that, then don't come moaning when another referee gets conned by a dive in YOUR penalty area.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 15:57 - Mar 4 with 1165 viewsPinnerPaul

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:03 - Mar 3 by dutch

There's clearly a real division of opinion here, I think that is the worst 45 minutes of football I've seen this season. They are unwatchable and we're letting them do it.

It wasn't even the worse half of football I've seen this week!
Login to get fewer ads

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 16:02 - Mar 4 with 1161 viewsPinnerPaul

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:32 - Mar 3 by actonman

Are we playing 1 touch ? For all the good Warbs done in feb , it’s all quickly Unraveling

Well we won 6 out of 7, and now lost 2 out of 3, so maybe not quite as quickly as some make out!
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 16:09 - Mar 4 with 1146 viewsthemodfather

that barnsley goalie did well, he made 2 good stops in added time among others , there were 2 shots cleared near the goal line and we were run ragged? that 3rd goal did us, a classic break away
when qpr were trying to go forward. finding the net ( bar Austin) is an issue, dykes needs a few asap. unless i watched a different game i felt qpr were ok, dieng made some good saves, a decent game, attacking away side and some good goals,
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 16:26 - Mar 4 with 1109 viewsPinnerPaul

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:16 - Mar 3 by stowmarketrange

They had never won at our place before last season.Now they look like they own it.Hope they go up so we don’t have to give them another 6 points next season.
They were worse than Preston with the time wasting though and the ref allowed them to get away with it.Between 12-16 seconds for the keeper to release the ball in the last 30 mins is taking it to a new level.

It was 20 seconds once and the stretching of the hamstrings was a joke!

Should have added that to my ref analysis on reflection.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 17:16 - Mar 4 with 1050 viewsVancouverHoop

View from a Barnsley buddy:

"I'm really conflicted about this Barnsley team.

The style of football can be terrible to watch. Even late in the game last night, when we were comfortably heading towards our sixth win in a row (the first time we've ever done that in the second tier) I found myself shouting "Just pass the ball!" at the TV. Watching it game after game feels soul destroying... but it's successful.
We are the fittest, hardest working team in the division. It's the same tactics every game with virtually the same players. We've six forwards. Three start the game, run themselves silly closing things down for sixty minutes, and then the other three come on and close things down for the rest of the game. Every other team knows what's coming and not a single one can do a thing about it (at the moment....). We didn't play particularly well last night and our manager said we looked tired, so for you to say we're the best team you've faced is even more of a compliment.

I don't think we'll get promoted at all and it's probably just as well. Not one of our players is top division quality and I also could see us getting ripped apart week after week. I have to say though, it's nice to be checking results for the top teams rather than the bottom ones for once."
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 18:48 - Mar 4 with 975 viewsdutch

I'd rather be bored than appalled. That just made me feel seasick and sad.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 19:56 - Mar 4 with 921 viewsDorse

Told you I shouldn't do these threads.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:05 - Mar 4 with 907 viewskensalriser

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 19:56 - Mar 4 by Dorse

Told you I shouldn't do these threads.

You're banned from starting match threads.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024