Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread 11:22 - Mar 1 with 34201 viewsDorse

It was 1874 and Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw was reeling after being laid off from Bickerthwaites Clog Factory after 10 years service.
'Unemployed. On t'scrag 'eap at the age o' 17' he sighed to Hector his faithful whippet as he trudged wearily down roads that would later be copyrighted by Hovis.* Even putting another ferret down his trousers couldn't lift his gloom. It helped but only briefly. It were no good. He'd heard that a young man of action could make his fortune down int' that there London - mebbe there'd be a place for a lad such as him, a hearty cherub of a lad with only a hint of tuberculosis, a squint and an orthapaedic clog. He packed his bag, said goodbye to his 19 siblings and got onto the first train South...

Today, visitors from Barnsley are equally as dazzled by the sights, sounds and smells of that there London. The running water. The electricity. The complete lack of incesant brass band music. It all adds up to a heady assault on the senses. And yet, the hopes and dreams of Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw are still very much evident in the coal-streaked faces of the Barnsley team that come looking for fame, glory or a chip and gravy barm cake. As manager Valerian Ismael says 'It'd be easer for a Grimethorpe pigeon fancier t' gerrint Belper whippet racin' club'house than t' gerra win theer'.

2-0 Rangers.

* Even though they were actually in Shaftesbury.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:59 - Mar 3 with 1901 viewsStanisgod

I'd give Albert a start Saturday, one of only 3 or 4 players who can actually control a ball fully and think ahead.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 1887 viewsjoolsyp

I feared the worst after reading Clive's interview with the two Barnsley fans. They are a very effective side, some hoofball yes but superbly fit, fast, strong all over the pitch and can finish too. Would love to see their running stats! Justifiably the most effective side we have played all season. Let's just get to 50 points as quickly as possible and reflect on where we can improve next year. As for Barnsley I hope they stay in the play-off picture and beat Brentford in the final
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 1881 viewsactonman

Every team that has pressed us and given us no time have been successful! Tonight barnsalona done it on red bull and speed !

Don’t get the criticism of the way they played as it forced us to do the same and we ended up looking like a pub team !

In game management back to work to best but also some of the players need to have a word with them self’s cos to a man , most were fking anonymous tonight at best
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 1883 viewsRog

They do get results but that was some very ugly football from them and we were neither smart enough nor good enough to worry them.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 1863 viewsBoston

Not happy

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:00 - Mar 3 with 1864 viewsA40Bosh

Missed the first 20mins due to work calls tonight and from what I see on here they pretty much bossed us from start to finish.

So no wins in 3, normality resumed in lower mid-table mediocrity this season and you cannot get too upset about losing to a team that are playing with the confidence and the run that Barnsley continue to be on.

From what I saw of the 2nd half Johansen continues to impress with his work rate and skill and really seemed to be trying to do something to get us back in the game.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:01 - Mar 3 with 1849 viewsdutch

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:00 - Mar 3 by joolsyp

I feared the worst after reading Clive's interview with the two Barnsley fans. They are a very effective side, some hoofball yes but superbly fit, fast, strong all over the pitch and can finish too. Would love to see their running stats! Justifiably the most effective side we have played all season. Let's just get to 50 points as quickly as possible and reflect on where we can improve next year. As for Barnsley I hope they stay in the play-off picture and beat Brentford in the final

I hope never have to see that cave men on sulphate football again ever.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:03 - Mar 3 with 1794 viewsBostonR

If you’re going to play hoofball that’s how you do it. If they keep that pace up they will win the play-offs. Whilst, I am not a hoofball lover every player knew how to execute the game-plan including the subs and the keeper.
How many teams will adopt that approach in the Championship next season?
Login to get fewer ads

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:03 - Mar 3 with 1795 viewsgolborne

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:53 - Mar 3 by Ned_Kennedys

Barnsley have totally outplayed us tonight in all areas: they’ve been great, we’ve been terrible. Fair play to them: only Austin can say he’s played well for us tonight. Poor substitutions again: where is the ‘sports science’ in leaving Austin on when the game had been lost as soon as the 3rd went in?

They haven’t even played, let alone outplay. We needed to be braver earlier in the game, but they are sh1t to watch. Like a well versed Sunday league team. Thank you Warburton for not making us watch that crap week in week out. Happily give them the points before the game, but pls don’t ruin it. Been waiting days for that, but the only thing that makes me angry is that they turn up acting like squaddies on speed, rather than professional footballers. Their passing accuracy was 49% - half of all passes misplaced. I withdraw the Sunday League reference, I didn’t play in a side as poor at playing football as that
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:04 - Mar 3 with 1772 viewsBurnleyhoop

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:51 - Mar 3 by Stanisgod

Never a free, chuckles on form, same thing with chair first half did nothing.

No point chair being on if we play hoof ball and head tennis. He actually came into the game when we tried to play football on the deck after the subs came on. That was the epitome of our season, awful football until we inject a bit of pace and footballing nouse.

Have been patient with Dykes, but absolutely fail to see what he is bringing to our play.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:05 - Mar 3 with 1761 viewsjoolsyp

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:01 - Mar 3 by dutch

I hope never have to see that cave men on sulphate football again ever.

Would be very interesting to see how they fare in the Prem against sides who can beat the press and keep the ball. I suppose Burnley is the nearest comparison to how they play. But give them some credit - when they needed to get the ball down and play (in our half) they've shown they can do that too.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:05 - Mar 3 with 1756 viewsjoe90

Wow, we got properly turned over. Fair play to Barnsley.

We all know where we're lacking and tonight didn't show us anything we'd not seen before. I think we just put it behind us try and salvage a point at the very least on Saturday.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:06 - Mar 3 with 1729 viewsstevec

Simple really.

Meanwhile our club will carry on trying to reinvent the wheel.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:07 - Mar 3 with 1715 viewskensalriser

Terrible. Barnsley not only dominated the play, they dominated the style and tempo too and we had no answer. Because they're much better at it they won easily.

Our golden run is well and truly over now, I expect we'll be back to winning one in every three or four for the rest of the season.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:08]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:10 - Mar 3 with 1645 viewsted_hendrix

We got done up like a kipper, hook line and sinker by a squad of players who are well drilled and know what they are doing.
Lose 1-3 at home tells you all you need to know.
We've been beaten we've been on a good run that has now ended.
It's Manager time now.
We go again Saturday.

Not a chance in hell we were going to get a result tonight.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:11 - Mar 3 with 1616 viewsdutch

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:05 - Mar 3 by joe90

Wow, we got properly turned over. Fair play to Barnsley.

We all know where we're lacking and tonight didn't show us anything we'd not seen before. I think we just put it behind us try and salvage a point at the very least on Saturday.

If that was a lesson on how to win in the championship I'd rather not. We were abject, worse than useless by sinking to their level, but if that is what it takes to be successful then count me out. I honestly think that is some of the ugliest, most base football I've ever witnessed. Isn't this supposed to be the beautiful game? Isn't there some elan or pattern to be gleaned in this thing we give so much of our time and passion to? There was no joy or entertainment in that lowest common denominator trash fest.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:14 - Mar 3 with 1575 viewsessextaxiboy

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:04 - Mar 3 by Burnleyhoop

No point chair being on if we play hoof ball and head tennis. He actually came into the game when we tried to play football on the deck after the subs came on. That was the epitome of our season, awful football until we inject a bit of pace and footballing nouse.

Have been patient with Dykes, but absolutely fail to see what he is bringing to our play.

Bonne and Kelman are no better but having said that I would start Bonne for the next 5 games regardless of results .

He hasnt got much strikers nouse but at least he has scored a few important goals from open play, can pass a bit and wins the odd header .

Apart from the Brentford goal all Dykes has done is smash in a few pens
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:15 - Mar 3 with 1554 viewsactonman

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:03 - Mar 3 by golborne

They haven’t even played, let alone outplay. We needed to be braver earlier in the game, but they are sh1t to watch. Like a well versed Sunday league team. Thank you Warburton for not making us watch that crap week in week out. Happily give them the points before the game, but pls don’t ruin it. Been waiting days for that, but the only thing that makes me angry is that they turn up acting like squaddies on speed, rather than professional footballers. Their passing accuracy was 49% - half of all passes misplaced. I withdraw the Sunday League reference, I didn’t play in a side as poor at playing football as that

Trouble is they don’t need to have great passing accuracy cos any manager with a bit of planning would see that we give the ball away so often , they will end up with it back anyway.
We are a perfect victim for their tactics but the fking annoying thing is , if Warbs deployed his side to side , back then forward possession football we got sussed out on earlier in the season , we would have done better.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:16 - Mar 3 with 1525 viewsstowmarketrange

They had never won at our place before last season.Now they look like they own it.Hope they go up so we don’t have to give them another 6 points next season.
They were worse than Preston with the time wasting though and the ref allowed them to get away with it.Between 12-16 seconds for the keeper to release the ball in the last 30 mins is taking it to a new level.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:21 - Mar 3 with 1434 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:03 - Mar 3 by golborne

You slagging them off smacks of arrogance: they looked fitter, quicker, smarter, sharper and far better than us.

I'm sure their supporters hate that they have won 6 in a row and are in the playoffs with a bottom three budget......
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:26 - Mar 3 with 1383 viewsdutch

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:21 - Mar 3 by Ned_Kennedys

You slagging them off smacks of arrogance: they looked fitter, quicker, smarter, sharper and far better than us.

I'm sure their supporters hate that they have won 6 in a row and are in the playoffs with a bottom three budget......

It's not arrogant to suggest that caveman football played at 1000 miles an hour with zero control is irredeemably ugly. I'm sure their supporters are loving it, but I am certainly allowed to say I would not, could not watch that with any regularity. I would rather go down't pit. I just wish we had been able to rise above that wretched playground display of British bulldog masquerading as football.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:30 - Mar 3 with 1324 viewsMatch82

That was 100 miles and hour and quite entertaining (not high quality but certainly action packed) result aside. But...is that what we were all expecting? I haven't watched Barnsley this year, from Clives preview promising "attractive football" I felt quite unprepared for that
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:30 - Mar 3 with 1317 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:26 - Mar 3 by dutch

It's not arrogant to suggest that caveman football played at 1000 miles an hour with zero control is irredeemably ugly. I'm sure their supporters are loving it, but I am certainly allowed to say I would not, could not watch that with any regularity. I would rather go down't pit. I just wish we had been able to rise above that wretched playground display of British bulldog masquerading as football.

Totally disagree.
We also play far more direct now Austin is in the side with far less playing out from the back and for a while we were getting better results: were you moaning about that?
Barnsley outplayed us tonight and played well in doing so: you don't score 3 away from home and win comfortably if you are a poor team.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:30 - Mar 3 with 1320 viewsSuperhoop83

A strange match.

Barnsley didn't impress me for the most part but we were very poor for long stretches. I cannot recall a more frenetic match or seeing the ball in the air so much.

Time for Warburton to make some tactical and player changes as some of the players look knackered.

Suffering since 1978.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:32 - Mar 3 with 1300 viewsNorthernr

I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Super high tempo, give you zero time on the ball, proper team unit, brilliantly coached, everybody knowing exactly what they were supposed to be doing. Direct, sure, but certainly not in a boring Pulis-style way where it's just lumped down the field and a set shape and set pieces, they're creative in the right areas, with very talented players. Mowatt, who I've been talking about for fcking years, Chaplin, Woodrow, Styles, certainly better than anything we've got.

I'd far rather watch a team like that, with the tempo and the physicality and the speed, with the nice stuff in the right areas, than a team trying to maintain 70% possession by nonsing around in neutral areas. I couldn't watch Neil Harris or Pulisball either, but there's a happy medium and Barnsley look very happy within it. They were fantastic, best team we've played, and thoroughly deserved the win.

The question we should be asking is how they're able to recruit that team, and that manager (and the managers before him), and coach them that well, on that budget, and we're not. Relying on loans who can't play three games a week, while being absolutely run off the park by Barnsley.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024