Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread 11:22 - Mar 1 with 34204 viewsDorse

It was 1874 and Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw was reeling after being laid off from Bickerthwaites Clog Factory after 10 years service.
'Unemployed. On t'scrag 'eap at the age o' 17' he sighed to Hector his faithful whippet as he trudged wearily down roads that would later be copyrighted by Hovis.* Even putting another ferret down his trousers couldn't lift his gloom. It helped but only briefly. It were no good. He'd heard that a young man of action could make his fortune down int' that there London - mebbe there'd be a place for a lad such as him, a hearty cherub of a lad with only a hint of tuberculosis, a squint and an orthapaedic clog. He packed his bag, said goodbye to his 19 siblings and got onto the first train South...

Today, visitors from Barnsley are equally as dazzled by the sights, sounds and smells of that there London. The running water. The electricity. The complete lack of incesant brass band music. It all adds up to a heady assault on the senses. And yet, the hopes and dreams of Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw are still very much evident in the coal-streaked faces of the Barnsley team that come looking for fame, glory or a chip and gravy barm cake. As manager Valerian Ismael says 'It'd be easer for a Grimethorpe pigeon fancier t' gerrint Belper whippet racin' club'house than t' gerra win theer'.

2-0 Rangers.

* Even though they were actually in Shaftesbury.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:06 - Mar 3 with 1990 views1MoreBrightonR

I'm with Clive on this. I thought Barnsley were hugely impressive. The tactics were fairly basic but they weren't boring by any means and although I'm gutted we lost, that was easily one of the more entertaining games of the season involving us.

I'm sure we would all love to have a team that pleased the tactical purists and passed it around nicely etc, but I wouldn't be complaining if my team was winning games playing at that speed and harassing and pressing the opponents the way they did. It's like half the board have suddenly become football purists after watching seasons of crap championship teams.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:11 - Mar 3 with 1982 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:10 - Mar 3 by stowmarketrange

They only turned it around in the last 6 games,which they’ve won.A couple of those wins turned into draws or losses and they’d be roughly where we are now.
They’re on a good run of form,but that can soon change.Look at us for example.

Well played Barnsley. They deserved their win and they are a handful for anyone at the moment.

But let's not get carried away by this purple patch of their's. They didn't create better chances than us, just took advantage of them on the day. Clearly playing against us suits them but that's the division. They'll also find teams they struggle against.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:25 - Mar 3 with 1918 viewsNorthernr

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:11 - Mar 3 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Well played Barnsley. They deserved their win and they are a handful for anyone at the moment.

But let's not get carried away by this purple patch of their's. They didn't create better chances than us, just took advantage of them on the day. Clearly playing against us suits them but that's the division. They'll also find teams they struggle against.

They didn’t win a game at all until round eight. They’ve since won 16 of 26 league games over four and a half months. That’s quite the “purple patch”. We win three games in a week and there’s cum all over the floor.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:40 - Mar 3 with 1879 viewskensalriser

You can't really lose 1-3 at home and accuse the opposition of playing bad football. If you want to play a certain way you need to impose that way on the game and we couldn't do it. Barnsley played better football - and if we'd scored a goal like that free kick people would be pledging their daughters to the player. Come to think of it, when was the last time we scored like that from a dead ball?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:53 - Mar 3 with 1849 viewsGravyChips

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:40 - Mar 3 by kensalriser

You can't really lose 1-3 at home and accuse the opposition of playing bad football. If you want to play a certain way you need to impose that way on the game and we couldn't do it. Barnsley played better football - and if we'd scored a goal like that free kick people would be pledging their daughters to the player. Come to think of it, when was the last time we scored like that from a dead ball?

Barnsley fan here, it’s interesting and a bit bemusing to see some people berate our style of play and say they wouldn’t want to watch it on the regular.

We absolutely love it. 100mph games, full effort given - nobody goes missing, and teams look terrified of us at the moment. We played Chelsea in the cup recently; most Prem sides park the bus against the big 6 - we pressed them even higher than we did today and were the better side that day as we have been for most games recently (only lost that one to a dubious offside goal).

Our supporters are in dreamland.

Couple of points:

1. Re. Finance, we do indeed have one of the lowest budgets in the division. Our owners play it sensible and don’t invest their own money. All the money we spend is money we’ve made through primarily transfers. We buy young, hungry players from the Conference or foreign lower leagues for 200k, stick them on a 4 year contract then sell them before their last year for £3-5m. We have one of the best scouting systems in the division. There are rare exceptions to ‘the plan’, like getting Dike in on loan and keeping Mowatt this season and probably losing him for nowt in the summer, but on the whole we stick to our proven system.

2. Re. Dike, your commentators got that one wrong. There was a rumour the buyout clause was $20m, but our CEO came out and said it was tosh, with the clause being “around what we normally pay”.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 00:15 - Mar 4 with 1789 viewsStanisgod

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:53 - Mar 3 by GravyChips

Barnsley fan here, it’s interesting and a bit bemusing to see some people berate our style of play and say they wouldn’t want to watch it on the regular.

We absolutely love it. 100mph games, full effort given - nobody goes missing, and teams look terrified of us at the moment. We played Chelsea in the cup recently; most Prem sides park the bus against the big 6 - we pressed them even higher than we did today and were the better side that day as we have been for most games recently (only lost that one to a dubious offside goal).

Couple of points:

1. Re. Finance, we do indeed have one of the lowest budgets in the division. Our owners play it sensible and don’t invest their own money. All the money we spend is money we’ve made through primarily transfers. We buy young, hungry players from the Conference or foreign lower leagues for 200k, stick them on a 4 year contract then sell them before their last year for £3-5m. We have one of the best scouting systems in the division. There are rare exceptions to ‘the plan’, like getting Dike in on loan and keeping Mowatt this season and probably losing him for nowt in the summer, but on the whole we stick to our proven system.

2. Re. Dike, your commentators got that one wrong. There was a rumour the buyout clause was $20m, but our CEO came out and said it was tosh, with the clause being “around what we normally pay”.

Rather you go up than Cardiff or Brentford mate.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 02:02 - Mar 4 with 1706 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:25 - Mar 3 by Northernr

They didn’t win a game at all until round eight. They’ve since won 16 of 26 league games over four and a half months. That’s quite the “purple patch”. We win three games in a week and there’s cum all over the floor.

That change in fortune coincided with the new manager coming in and started with a win against QPR. Valerien Ismael has done an incredible job there. Where the blazes did they find him?
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 07:44 - Mar 4 with 1566 viewsdutch

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:22 - Mar 3 by Northernr

Same. That was absolutely not a lump it and hope performance, and some of the comments to that effect come across a bit sour to be honest.

Of course I am sour. I've just watched Rangers lose, hopelessly, to a form of football which would be booed off on Paddington Rec. I'm no purist, don't much enjoy Swanselona tica taca, but do believe this is a game of pass to your own team, control the ball, play on the ground, create something worth watching. We aint going nowher,e so football has to be enjoyable, that cavemen on speed display was intolerable and if that is the future for championship teams on modest budgets, I'll go and watch the traffic on the Westway which might have some form of aesthetic flow.
Login to get fewer ads

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:01 - Mar 4 with 1518 viewsSK_hoops

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 07:44 - Mar 4 by dutch

Of course I am sour. I've just watched Rangers lose, hopelessly, to a form of football which would be booed off on Paddington Rec. I'm no purist, don't much enjoy Swanselona tica taca, but do believe this is a game of pass to your own team, control the ball, play on the ground, create something worth watching. We aint going nowher,e so football has to be enjoyable, that cavemen on speed display was intolerable and if that is the future for championship teams on modest budgets, I'll go and watch the traffic on the Westway which might have some form of aesthetic flow.

I would happily watch that every week if it got us into the top 6.

At least it was something new. A lot of the championship games feel like you're watching the same match over and over again, can't remember the last time I saw a game that frantic.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:08 - Mar 4 with 1505 viewsdutch

When did frantic equal good?
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:23 - Mar 4 with 1463 viewsFredManRave

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:08 - Mar 4 by dutch

When did frantic equal good?

You've obviously never had frantic sex then.

Dorse, don't call us, we'll call you...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:32 - Mar 4 with 1435 viewspaulparker

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:56 - Mar 3 by Match82

We're probably doing about as expected this year based on our budget, maybe even outperforming it.

I'm guessing, but of the 10 teams on or lower than our points total, probably only Rotherham and Wycombe have a significantly lower budget.

We are only outperforming as you say it because of the 2 loan players we bought in , otherwise we would in the bottom three or just above
There’s teams year in and year out with smaller budgets than us who always seem to be better and they always seem to get it right with players, managers, scouting, etc
This year Barnsley & Luton , previous years Preston , Millwall , Huddersfield, sheff Utd , Brentford are now miles in front of us
We had money this year for the first time in a long time and bar Dickie , possibly Willock we haven’t invested very well at all, Clive makes a valid point in asking how these teams can do it but we can’t

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:34 - Mar 4 with 1440 viewsdutch

I think yesterday's game actually poses some big questions for football in general. Given that we support a club, who because of the way the game has evolved can only ever be also-rans, what is it all for? It's entertainment, nothing else, and a game where the majority of passes go to the opposition, where all play is compressed into a tiny strip of the pitch, where extended bouts of head ping pong dominate, where being able to run at 100 mph is the main attribute, where time wasting is blatant and rush goalies are the stars, then for me it is not entertaining, so what is the point?
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:39 - Mar 4 with 1425 viewsstevec

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:53 - Mar 3 by GravyChips

Couple of points:

Barnsley were excellent mate, no delusions of grandeur, just finding their own way to compete on a low budget. Can’t see anything wrong with that.

Not sure why some of ours think they can look down their nose from the lofty perch of 17th place.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:43 - Mar 4 with 1399 viewsdutch

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:39 - Mar 4 by stevec

Barnsley were excellent mate, no delusions of grandeur, just finding their own way to compete on a low budget. Can’t see anything wrong with that.

Not sure why some of ours think they can look down their nose from the lofty perch of 17th place.

Barnsley were excellent at what they do, but what they do is horrible, an abomination. We were simply useless, not looking down my nose, just despairing at what the game has become.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:49 - Mar 4 with 1380 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 08:34 - Mar 4 by dutch

I think yesterday's game actually poses some big questions for football in general. Given that we support a club, who because of the way the game has evolved can only ever be also-rans, what is it all for? It's entertainment, nothing else, and a game where the majority of passes go to the opposition, where all play is compressed into a tiny strip of the pitch, where extended bouts of head ping pong dominate, where being able to run at 100 mph is the main attribute, where time wasting is blatant and rush goalies are the stars, then for me it is not entertaining, so what is the point?

I think there's a four things here.

First, congrats to GravyChips. Well deserved win, and best of luck to you.

Second, Barnsley were excellent at executing their game plan and their chosen style.

Third, is that chosen style to our individual likings? On this I'm closer to dutch's way of thinking. In our half, they played some lovely pass and move. But their long ball game from the back to front was hard to watch. I didn't fancy it, and would not like to watch us play like that every game. That's not a dig - it's just not my preferred style of football.

Fourth, being honest - I didn't fancy our style of play either. I have to watch the game again to see how and why we ended up playing like that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:34 - Mar 4 with 1294 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 23:25 - Mar 3 by Northernr

True. They play a style which is very successful now but teams will adapt to them, find the weaknesses and exploit them. It's just taking longer with everyone playing every three days. The goalkeeper for instance takes crazy risks to back up their high line. That will implode at some point like Allisons piddling about with the ball did at Liverpool.

I didn't think we were playing that well in our 6 out of 7 run. Taking more of the chances with Charlie, yes. The defence obviously improved, particularly against set pieces (ironic after last night). Blocking better. Dieng excellent. The rest of the team much of a muchness.

As far as Barnsley's style is concerned I enjoyed it. There again I have never much appreciated passing the football on the ground for passings sake. Never understood why that's called good football. There are lots of different types of good football. Barnsley have one imho.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:37 - Mar 4 with 1282 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Including in your reports to be fair Clive.

Let he who is without sin etc

Let's face it we all enjoyed the 5 wins from 6 especially given the opposition. Having not won in 9 or ten before that a lot of it was probably relief as well.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:17 - Mar 4 with 1243 viewsNorthernr

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 09:37 - Mar 4 by CroydonCaptJack

Including in your reports to be fair Clive.

Let he who is without sin etc

Let's face it we all enjoyed the 5 wins from 6 especially given the opposition. Having not won in 9 or ten before that a lot of it was probably relief as well.

Absolutely.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:25 - Mar 4 with 1226 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Despite creating chances I did feel we were well beaten last night. We have been competitive in most games this season with the exception of 4 or 5 and that was one of them.

It wasn't necessarily pretty but they were effective and industrious and quite impressive I thought.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:42 - Mar 4 with 1185 viewsMyke

The winning run we had lifted us clear of relegation, no more than that. Any talk of play-off places was ludicrous, the last three games have highlighted that. We are pretty much where I expected us to be after the last 5 games, albeit the sequence of results were different. We still need to post another 4 wins to be safe. Once we achieve that, we can start planning for next season, whether that is dropping the loanees and playing our own players, or signing the loanees that we want, permanently. We have seen enough of Austin and Johansen to know how much they improve us, but obviously wages are the main stumbling block. Jury still out on Field. Despite becoming an automatic cult hero by scoring against Brentford, he hasn't overly impressed me. And as for De wijs.....
Lets hope we get to 52 as quickly as possible so we can start planning ahead
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 10:56 - Mar 4 with 1148 viewsderbyhoop

Couple of points:

No complaints about the result. Barnsley's the better team on the night. They played with a higher tempo than us, won most of the aerial duels, pressed our team into unfamiliar tactics and took the chances.

It was a bit harum-scarum but both sides contributed to that. We like to get the ball down and pass it. We weren't allowed to do that.

Even with a well defined, low budget model I'm sure Barnsley fans struggle to believe how far they've come. But on last night's evidence the league position doesnt flatter them.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:00 - Mar 4 with 1091 viewsNorthernr

Any thoughts on the QPR Star Man?

Struggling. Mostly 5s and 6s.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:04 - Mar 4 with 1088 viewsBucksRanger

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 02:02 - Mar 4 by Benny_the_Ball

That change in fortune coincided with the new manager coming in and started with a win against QPR. Valerien Ismael has done an incredible job there. Where the blazes did they find him?

Linzer Athletik-Sport-Klub.

For the 2019—20 Austrian Football Bundesliga Ismaël was succeeding Oliver Glasner as the new head coach and sporting director of Austrian team LASK. In the first few months of his tenure, he led the team to the best start in the club's history (17 points from 8 games). He also led LASK to a first ever appearance in the UEFA Champions League play-offs. After beating favourites FC Basel the team fell short against Club Brugge. In LASK's first ever appearance in the UEFA Europa League the team won the group with Sporting Lisbon, PSV Eindhoven, and Rosenborg Trondheim. After beating AZ Alkmaar in the round of 32, LASK lost against Manchester United. After the Corona induced pause, LASK trained a couple of days too early with full body contact. It was heavily criticised by other clubs, and the media. The team did not play well any more, and 4 points were deducted for breaching the Corona rules, which let them end on fourth position in the league. LASK parted ways with Ismaël on 11 July 2020, as Dominik Thalhammer became available who succeeded him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3%A9rien_Isma%C3%ABl
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:16 - Mar 4 with 1076 viewsTacticalR

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 12:04 - Mar 4 by BucksRanger

Linzer Athletik-Sport-Klub.

For the 2019—20 Austrian Football Bundesliga Ismaël was succeeding Oliver Glasner as the new head coach and sporting director of Austrian team LASK. In the first few months of his tenure, he led the team to the best start in the club's history (17 points from 8 games). He also led LASK to a first ever appearance in the UEFA Champions League play-offs. After beating favourites FC Basel the team fell short against Club Brugge. In LASK's first ever appearance in the UEFA Europa League the team won the group with Sporting Lisbon, PSV Eindhoven, and Rosenborg Trondheim. After beating AZ Alkmaar in the round of 32, LASK lost against Manchester United. After the Corona induced pause, LASK trained a couple of days too early with full body contact. It was heavily criticised by other clubs, and the media. The team did not play well any more, and 4 points were deducted for breaching the Corona rules, which let them end on fourth position in the league. LASK parted ways with Ismaël on 11 July 2020, as Dominik Thalhammer became available who succeeded him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3%A9rien_Isma%C3%ABl

According to that Wiki article he's an Alsatian.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024