Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread 11:22 - Mar 1 with 34199 viewsDorse

It was 1874 and Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw was reeling after being laid off from Bickerthwaites Clog Factory after 10 years service.
'Unemployed. On t'scrag 'eap at the age o' 17' he sighed to Hector his faithful whippet as he trudged wearily down roads that would later be copyrighted by Hovis.* Even putting another ferret down his trousers couldn't lift his gloom. It helped but only briefly. It were no good. He'd heard that a young man of action could make his fortune down int' that there London - mebbe there'd be a place for a lad such as him, a hearty cherub of a lad with only a hint of tuberculosis, a squint and an orthapaedic clog. He packed his bag, said goodbye to his 19 siblings and got onto the first train South...

Today, visitors from Barnsley are equally as dazzled by the sights, sounds and smells of that there London. The running water. The electricity. The complete lack of incesant brass band music. It all adds up to a heady assault on the senses. And yet, the hopes and dreams of Zebediah Ivanhoe Scrimshaw are still very much evident in the coal-streaked faces of the Barnsley team that come looking for fame, glory or a chip and gravy barm cake. As manager Valerian Ismael says 'It'd be easer for a Grimethorpe pigeon fancier t' gerrint Belper whippet racin' club'house than t' gerra win theer'.

2-0 Rangers.

* Even though they were actually in Shaftesbury.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:34 - Mar 3 with 1976 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:32 - Mar 3 by Northernr

I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Super high tempo, give you zero time on the ball, proper team unit, brilliantly coached, everybody knowing exactly what they were supposed to be doing. Direct, sure, but certainly not in a boring Pulis-style way where it's just lumped down the field and a set shape and set pieces, they're creative in the right areas, with very talented players. Mowatt, who I've been talking about for fcking years, Chaplin, Woodrow, Styles, certainly better than anything we've got.

I'd far rather watch a team like that, with the tempo and the physicality and the speed, with the nice stuff in the right areas, than a team trying to maintain 70% possession by nonsing around in neutral areas. I couldn't watch Neil Harris or Pulisball either, but there's a happy medium and Barnsley look very happy within it. They were fantastic, best team we've played, and thoroughly deserved the win.

The question we should be asking is how they're able to recruit that team, and that manager (and the managers before him), and coach them that well, on that budget, and we're not. Relying on loans who can't play three games a week, while being absolutely run off the park by Barnsley.

Exactly.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:36 - Mar 3 with 1960 viewsdaveB

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:32 - Mar 3 by Northernr

I thought they were absolutely fantastic. Super high tempo, give you zero time on the ball, proper team unit, brilliantly coached, everybody knowing exactly what they were supposed to be doing. Direct, sure, but certainly not in a boring Pulis-style way where it's just lumped down the field and a set shape and set pieces, they're creative in the right areas, with very talented players. Mowatt, who I've been talking about for fcking years, Chaplin, Woodrow, Styles, certainly better than anything we've got.

I'd far rather watch a team like that, with the tempo and the physicality and the speed, with the nice stuff in the right areas, than a team trying to maintain 70% possession by nonsing around in neutral areas. I couldn't watch Neil Harris or Pulisball either, but there's a happy medium and Barnsley look very happy within it. They were fantastic, best team we've played, and thoroughly deserved the win.

The question we should be asking is how they're able to recruit that team, and that manager (and the managers before him), and coach them that well, on that budget, and we're not. Relying on loans who can't play three games a week, while being absolutely run off the park by Barnsley.

They reminded me of Wimbledon under Joe Kinnear. Never more than 2 touches on the ball but without it high energy and win the ball back quickly. Their keeper was very good as well, quick off his line to allow the team to play a really high line and squeeze the play, great save at the end as well.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:40 - Mar 3 with 1904 viewsted_hendrix

Sometimes you have to front up and admit you've been beaten by a better team.

I put on the match thread that they've scored six goals against us over two games, there's a reason for that and that reason is they are better than us.

That's it.

Bitter pill ?swallow it.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:48]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:42 - Mar 3 with 1887 viewspaulparker

Comes down to the board, management & DOF what money we had from Eze we have wasted bar Dickie, & Willock , our manager is limited , we haven’t addressed the fullback situation, and we have given four year deals to two fullbacks who can’t displace the other ones who let’s face it are crap , every year we see clubs with smaller budgets out playing us, out scouting us and out thinking us , Les has had five years here now and if he stays another year it’s a case of the same old same old
If it wasn’t for Austin & Johanson we would be in major trouble this season

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:42 - Mar 3 with 1890 viewsdutch

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:36 - Mar 3 by daveB

They reminded me of Wimbledon under Joe Kinnear. Never more than 2 touches on the ball but without it high energy and win the ball back quickly. Their keeper was very good as well, quick off his line to allow the team to play a really high line and squeeze the play, great save at the end as well.

We'll have to disagree: ugly is ugly, frenetic, formless, nausea inducing kick and rush. You can do that effectively but not enjoyably or admirably.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:43 - Mar 3 with 1867 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 20:58 - Mar 3 by Greenbay

FT REPORT
What's the problem?
We finish tonight in 17th spot - just one behind our coveted 16th.
And it looks like we're 8 points clear from third from bottom Rotherham - before they finish their match at Sheff. Wed.
And we have a game or two in hand.
Would you have settled for 16th or 17th spot at this stage of the season with 14 games left?
As JFH used to say - it is what it is.
And we all know the reasons why.
We were spoilt lavishly by our 6 wins in 7 - that's probably saved us from relegation.
A point a game from now on and we should be ok especially with three home matches after Bristol City on Saturday.
Wycombe, Huddersfield and Milwall - we could get at least 7 points from that.
We'll be fine.

That's not a report.
It's your opinion.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread (n/t) on 21:43 - Mar 3 with 1865 viewsMichael_Hunt

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:40 - Mar 3 by ted_hendrix

I put on the match thread that they've scored six goals against us over two games, there's a reason for that and that reason is they are better than us.

That's it.

Bitter pill ?swallow it.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:47 - Mar 3 with 1800 viewsaston_hoop

They've got a $20 million option to buy that bloke who scored the first goal. Are they really as broke as everyone says?? Asking out of general curiosity rather than any sour grapes, they were much better than us all over the park.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:51 - Mar 3 with 1749 viewsstowmarketrange

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:40 - Mar 3 by ted_hendrix

That's it.

Bitter pill ?swallow it.

Is that Yorkshire tea Ted?
I don’t doubt that they’re a better team than us,as they’ve prove over last season and this,but they’ve lost only 1 game less than us so far this season,and that was including tonight’s result,but they’ve won more.They have a gd of +4,which doubled after tonight.
They’re on a good run of form,as we were until only a few games ago.
They’ve a very effective team at what they do,but they are a long way from being a good team.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:57 - Mar 3 with 1667 viewsNed_Kennedys

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:36 - Mar 3 by daveB

Some of the comments on here remind me of the bleating that used to happen when Wimbledon turned over the big boys all those years ago. Barnsley almost went down last season and have done brilliantly to turn that around on a budget I'd guess is even lower than ours but people seem pissed off they don't play 'classy' football like Brentford or Swansea.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:58 - Mar 3 with 1668 viewscharmr

What Clive said

We are an average team that can not for every reason that can be thought of end up in League 1 ever or for the foreseeable future.

This is now who we are and it sucks.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:59 - Mar 3 with 1651 viewsStanisgod

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:51 - Mar 3 by stowmarketrange

Is that Yorkshire tea Ted?
I don’t doubt that they’re a better team than us,as they’ve prove over last season and this,but they’ve lost only 1 game less than us so far this season,and that was including tonight’s result,but they’ve won more.They have a gd of +4,which doubled after tonight.
They’re on a good run of form,as we were until only a few games ago.
They’ve a very effective team at what they do,but they are a long way from being a good team.

I think a 3-1win would make their +4 become +6 not double 😊

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:03 - Mar 3 with 1619 viewsstowmarketrange

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:59 - Mar 3 by Stanisgod

I think a 3-1win would make their +4 become +6 not double 😊

They were on +2 and they are now +4 thanks to their win tonight by 2 goals.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:04 - Mar 3 with 1603 viewsOldPedro

I wonder if their high tempo is benefiting from the ability to make 5 subs - they did tail off a bit towards the end but then the keeper took 15 secs each time he had the ball and the ref did nothing. On one occasion, the ref spoke to him and then the keeper left the ball and walked slowly back to the goal-line to drop his water bottle, then slowly walked back to the ball yet no card????

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:07 - Mar 3 with 1566 viewsjoolsyp

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:42 - Mar 3 by dutch

We'll have to disagree: ugly is ugly, frenetic, formless, nausea inducing kick and rush. You can do that effectively but not enjoyably or admirably.

'Formless'? You were clearly watching a different game than me. They were superbly well structured and organised.

Admirable? Well, I admire their ability to chase down everything, win the vast majority of second ball, do their jobs to a man, be creative in our half and show strength and power on and off the ball. All on a bottom 3 budget as somebody else pointed out. Could I watch it every week - compared to tippy-tapping around in the lower reaches of the Championship? Absolutely yes.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:10 - Mar 3 with 1534 viewsstowmarketrange

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:57 - Mar 3 by Ned_Kennedys

Some of the comments on here remind me of the bleating that used to happen when Wimbledon turned over the big boys all those years ago. Barnsley almost went down last season and have done brilliantly to turn that around on a budget I'd guess is even lower than ours but people seem pissed off they don't play 'classy' football like Brentford or Swansea.

They only turned it around in the last 6 games,which they’ve won.A couple of those wins turned into draws or losses and they’d be roughly where we are now.
They’re on a good run of form,but that can soon change.Look at us for example.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:13 - Mar 3 with 1509 viewsstowmarketrange

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:04 - Mar 3 by OldPedro

I wonder if their high tempo is benefiting from the ability to make 5 subs - they did tail off a bit towards the end but then the keeper took 15 secs each time he had the ball and the ref did nothing. On one occasion, the ref spoke to him and then the keeper left the ball and walked slowly back to the goal-line to drop his water bottle, then slowly walked back to the ball yet no card????

That was after their defender deliberately dropped it to give the keeper the option of returning it to the goal.Another shame that fans aren’t allowed in because nobody was picking up on it.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:18 - Mar 3 with 1458 viewsgolborne

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:57 - Mar 3 by Ned_Kennedys

So if we can steal their manager you’d be buying a season ticket to watch that next season? I’m with Brian Clough, you can stick that hoof ball up your arris! Yes, we should and with more confidence could have overcome it, but 49% passing accuracy says it all..no thanks at any cost
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:20 - Mar 3 with 1441 viewsNorthernr

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:10 - Mar 3 by stowmarketrange

They only turned it around in the last 6 games,which they’ve won.A couple of those wins turned into draws or losses and they’d be roughly where we are now.
They’re on a good run of form,but that can soon change.Look at us for example.

They've won 18 of 29 games since that geezer took over.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:22 - Mar 3 with 1426 viewsNorthernr

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:07 - Mar 3 by joolsyp

'Formless'? You were clearly watching a different game than me. They were superbly well structured and organised.

Admirable? Well, I admire their ability to chase down everything, win the vast majority of second ball, do their jobs to a man, be creative in our half and show strength and power on and off the ball. All on a bottom 3 budget as somebody else pointed out. Could I watch it every week - compared to tippy-tapping around in the lower reaches of the Championship? Absolutely yes.

Same. That was absolutely not a lump it and hope performance, and some of the comments to that effect come across a bit sour to be honest.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:28 - Mar 3 with 1362 viewsBAWHoops

To be fair we got very close to having that sort of side last season, but have ended up mismanaging contracts and ended up losing half of them when we really shouldn't have.

The more I think about it the more 2019/20 looks like a huge missed opportunity to have established ourselves as something more than a bottom half Championship side.
Can only imagine how good a team of Dieng, Kane, Dickie, Hall, Barbet, Manning, Amos, Johanssen, Chair, Bright, Austin/Wells/Hugill could've been this season

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:31 - Mar 3 with 1346 viewsstowmarketrange

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:20 - Mar 3 by Northernr

They've won 18 of 29 games since that geezer took over.

This post has been edited by an administrator

They were also on a winless run of 5 games in January before their run of 6 wins started.They are a better team than us,but they were last season too because they’ve won their last 4 games against us.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:37 - Mar 3 with 1308 viewsBostonR

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:22 - Mar 3 by Northernr

Same. That was absolutely not a lump it and hope performance, and some of the comments to that effect come across a bit sour to be honest.

Agree. I fully expect to see a lot of Championship sides adapt a full-on Barnsley like hoofball game next season. Their back five launched the ball into orbit and their midfield won the 50-50’s and they played really quick stuff around us. You don’t need a team of maestros to do that, but you do need a top coach, fit players and a little bit of quality- they had all of that tonight.
Rather than our consistent 16th place finish, I could easily go for a Barnsley full-on approach for a season or two. At some point the club has to stick or twist and stick is killing us.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:56 - Mar 3 with 1205 viewsMatch82

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 21:42 - Mar 3 by paulparker

Comes down to the board, management & DOF what money we had from Eze we have wasted bar Dickie, & Willock , our manager is limited , we haven’t addressed the fullback situation, and we have given four year deals to two fullbacks who can’t displace the other ones who let’s face it are crap , every year we see clubs with smaller budgets out playing us, out scouting us and out thinking us , Les has had five years here now and if he stays another year it’s a case of the same old same old
If it wasn’t for Austin & Johanson we would be in major trouble this season

We're probably doing about as expected this year based on our budget, maybe even outperforming it.

I'm guessing, but of the 10 teams on or lower than our points total, probably only Rotherham and Wycombe have a significantly lower budget.
The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:58 - Mar 3 with 1199 viewsstowmarketrange

The Really Early 'FredManRave Made Me Do It' Barnstoneworth United Match Thread on 22:37 - Mar 3 by BostonR

Agree. I fully expect to see a lot of Championship sides adapt a full-on Barnsley like hoofball game next season. Their back five launched the ball into orbit and their midfield won the 50-50’s and they played really quick stuff around us. You don’t need a team of maestros to do that, but you do need a top coach, fit players and a little bit of quality- they had all of that tonight.
Rather than our consistent 16th place finish, I could easily go for a Barnsley full-on approach for a season or two. At some point the club has to stick or twist and stick is killing us.

We’d need a whole new team because most of ours can barely break into a sweat for a half let alone 90 minutes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024