Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andre Gray inbound 11:18 - Aug 30 with 42422 viewsJames_Paddocks

Having a medical this morning, according to the wonderful world of QPR Twitter...

Watford fans seem delighted to see the back of him.

I'll trust Warbs, Les and Lee though.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 11:54]
Andre Gray inbound on 08:44 - Aug 31 with 4390 viewsLanhoop

"We've also got a couple of senior people in Johansen and Austin that could slap him down quite easily."

Hi Andre, here's your dressing room seat, right next to Jordy. He'll look after you.
Andre Gray inbound on 09:05 - Aug 31 with 4219 viewsDorse

Andre Gray inbound on 08:44 - Aug 31 by Lanhoop

"We've also got a couple of senior people in Johansen and Austin that could slap him down quite easily."

Hi Andre, here's your dressing room seat, right next to Jordy. He'll look after you.

Hey, Boss, is Jordy asleep?
No, Andre. Jordy doesn't sleep. He merely waits.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Andre Gray inbound on 09:10 - Aug 31 with 4170 viewsrsonist

Andre Gray inbound on 09:28 - Aug 31 with 4077 viewsBlue_Castello

Andre Gray inbound on 09:10 - Aug 31 by rsonist

Wow a Free transfer that was unexpected, so his agent is negotiating a golden handshake which presumably suits both parties, I'm guessing Gray will get paid most of his remaining contract with them otherwise he wouldn't be walking away from such a massive deal.

After reading all the comments the bottom line for me is I trust Warbs with this transfer, he knows the player well and he won't accept any shit from players, will be interesting to see what sort of contract he gets from us if it's not a loan.
Andre Gray inbound on 09:40 - Aug 31 with 3976 viewsMaggsinho

Lots of what Watford fans think on here but how much do we trust what they think?

Odubajo was universally derided at Wednesday, Stoke were more than happy to see Cameron leave, massive shrug from Hull fans when De Wijs left, etc, etc...
Andre Gray inbound on 09:46 - Aug 31 with 3921 viewsWestbourneR

He went to Watford for £18 million two or three years ago. We're now taking him on a free. He's an extremely rapid striker who has shown he can score lots of goals at this level. Played well and successfully under Warburton before, a man who accepts no level of bad behaviour (see Todd's predicament).

I can see why both our manager and the club see this as good business.

If I'd told you two seasons ago we'd permanently own and have to choose from Austin, Dykes and Gray up front I think you'd have been pretty amazed and pretty pleased.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Andre Gray inbound on 10:02 - Aug 31 with 3775 viewsterryb

Andre Gray inbound on 07:44 - Aug 31 by cpgerber

Might just be the man to help us with decent cup runs this season. Will make me feel comfortable that we have enough depth to get through the season without too much crisis, if and when Field & Amos are available again too. Might have preferred to hang on to Masterson, but he's playing every game so far at Cambridge, so perhaps a better move for his development.

Not too worried about this... he would have been made clear what he should expect here. Warbs won't take any nonsense.

Can we recall Faisal and/or Masterson in January if needed, or are those set as season-long deals? Same for Bonne.

I'm fairly certain that you can recall anyone fron a season long loan in January.

I think we've done it before & Burnley definitely recalled Wells when he was on a season's loan.
Andre Gray inbound on 10:06 - Aug 31 with 3743 viewsloftus77

Andre Gray inbound on 09:46 - Aug 31 by WestbourneR

He went to Watford for £18 million two or three years ago. We're now taking him on a free. He's an extremely rapid striker who has shown he can score lots of goals at this level. Played well and successfully under Warburton before, a man who accepts no level of bad behaviour (see Todd's predicament).

I can see why both our manager and the club see this as good business.

If I'd told you two seasons ago we'd permanently own and have to choose from Austin, Dykes and Gray up front I think you'd have been pretty amazed and pretty pleased.

Yep, good shout. I guess it’s just that this kind of arrival seems (seems) to ‘go against the grain’ of what Rangers are all about post-2015 (unearthing and developing young talent, selling on for higher price to secure the future of the club etc). I do appreciate it’s a loan (or free transfer tbc), but its unexpected.

On reflection, the good news is that, as others have said, it almost certainly means that the club is ‘having a go’ this season. And this ties in with what, I think, Clive and other top Rangers writers have noted about 2021/22 i.e that it’s suddenly become a bit of an ‘unexpected window of opportunity’ in a (hopefully) post-Covid era where many a Championship rival has been weakened while we get ever stronger and more stable. Opportunity knocks, and we are ‘twisting’ — maybe.

Only other thought - it does rather heap the pressure on Andre himself from the off, doesn’t it? Just 3(?) poor performances and ‘the pitchforks’ could well be out in a way they would never be for Kelman, Thomas or many others etc. That could be tough - we shall see.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 10:11]
Login to get fewer ads

Andre Gray inbound on 10:11 - Aug 31 with 3665 viewsBlue_Castello

Andre Gray inbound on 10:06 - Aug 31 by loftus77

Yep, good shout. I guess it’s just that this kind of arrival seems (seems) to ‘go against the grain’ of what Rangers are all about post-2015 (unearthing and developing young talent, selling on for higher price to secure the future of the club etc). I do appreciate it’s a loan (or free transfer tbc), but its unexpected.

On reflection, the good news is that, as others have said, it almost certainly means that the club is ‘having a go’ this season. And this ties in with what, I think, Clive and other top Rangers writers have noted about 2021/22 i.e that it’s suddenly become a bit of an ‘unexpected window of opportunity’ in a (hopefully) post-Covid era where many a Championship rival has been weakened while we get ever stronger and more stable. Opportunity knocks, and we are ‘twisting’ — maybe.

Only other thought - it does rather heap the pressure on Andre himself from the off, doesn’t it? Just 3(?) poor performances and ‘the pitchforks’ could well be out in a way they would never be for Kelman, Thomas or many others etc. That could be tough - we shall see.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 10:11]

Have a read of Rsonists post further up the page, he's negotiating or should I say his agent,termination of his contract to come on a Free transfer.....
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 10:12]
Andre Gray inbound on 10:36 - Aug 31 with 3451 viewsdmm

Andre Gray inbound on 07:44 - Aug 31 by cpgerber

Might just be the man to help us with decent cup runs this season. Will make me feel comfortable that we have enough depth to get through the season without too much crisis, if and when Field & Amos are available again too. Might have preferred to hang on to Masterson, but he's playing every game so far at Cambridge, so perhaps a better move for his development.

Not too worried about this... he would have been made clear what he should expect here. Warbs won't take any nonsense.

Can we recall Faisal and/or Masterson in January if needed, or are those set as season-long deals? Same for Bonne.

Season long loans can be recalled in the January window. Masterson's loan at Cambridge is until 3rd January in any case.
Andre Gray inbound on 10:45 - Aug 31 with 3372 viewsDavieQPR

Andre Gray inbound on 10:36 - Aug 31 by dmm

Season long loans can be recalled in the January window. Masterson's loan at Cambridge is until 3rd January in any case.

Loans can be recalled if a club is paying part of wage. If they are paying a loan fee and wages then a player can't be recalled unless there was a prior agreement in the contract.
Andre Gray inbound on 11:15 - Aug 31 with 3152 viewsdmm

Andre Gray inbound on 10:45 - Aug 31 by DavieQPR

Loans can be recalled if a club is paying part of wage. If they are paying a loan fee and wages then a player can't be recalled unless there was a prior agreement in the contract.

Ah,righto. Thanks Davie.
Andre Gray inbound on 11:23 - Aug 31 with 3080 viewsHarryHornet

Hello Hoops. Obvious Watford bloke here, come to say my piece. Got lots of Hoop mates who are all asking the same question, "is he any good".

Answer: Yes, he gets in great scoring positions and is lightning fast, but then will totally **** it up, so actually no. QPR were one of my pre season favourites for promotion based on intel from mates who were all in agreement this would be a good season for you. Hopefully our worst ever signing will find his happy place under his old mentor but I think you'll soon see why the Andre Gray thread on a popular Watford forum has so many posts, all saying the same thing.

Just remember he didn't do it for a Championship club last season, (much like Deeney).

Good luck, will be watching with interest.
Andre Gray inbound on 11:24 - Aug 31 with 3050 viewsrsonist

Andre Gray inbound on 11:23 - Aug 31 by HarryHornet

Hello Hoops. Obvious Watford bloke here, come to say my piece. Got lots of Hoop mates who are all asking the same question, "is he any good".

Answer: Yes, he gets in great scoring positions and is lightning fast, but then will totally **** it up, so actually no. QPR were one of my pre season favourites for promotion based on intel from mates who were all in agreement this would be a good season for you. Hopefully our worst ever signing will find his happy place under his old mentor but I think you'll soon see why the Andre Gray thread on a popular Watford forum has so many posts, all saying the same thing.

Just remember he didn't do it for a Championship club last season, (much like Deeney).

Tozser and Angella did it for you once...
Andre Gray inbound on 11:29 - Aug 31 with 3009 viewsrsonist

Andre Gray inbound on 09:40 - Aug 31 by Maggsinho

Lots of what Watford fans think on here but how much do we trust what they think?

Odubajo was universally derided at Wednesday, Stoke were more than happy to see Cameron leave, massive shrug from Hull fans when De Wijs left, etc, etc...

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/andre-gray.58511/page-13#post-3044455
This has to be the worst signing not only the Pozzo's have ever made, but the club have ever made in it's entire history. Of course Success runs him close, and as a contributor, Success has been a lot worse than Gray, but what mitigates him is that the £13m we wasted stayed within the Pozzo empire. With Gray, it was £18.5 and a weekly haemorrhaging of £70k per week. That's £14.5m in wages, plus whatever sign-on and agent fee we paid. The entire package probably cost the club around £35m. Mind boggling.

[...]

Don't clubs bother scouting players anymore. His highlight reel with him in Watford colours must last all of 10 secs. Being a cr@p footballer is not a crime but his arrogant attitude and dreadful behaviour, especially during the pandemic, deserve him to be tossed into the nearest skip like a busted mattress. Good riddance.

[...]

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/watford-fc-1-2-qpr-01-02-2021.58029/page
Because for the entire time in the Prem we relied on:
Ighalo having a crazy purple patch or
Pereyra doing something amazing occasionally which meant even in games he didn't teams were so pre-occupied with him others managed to score or
GD doing something amazing on a regular basis resulting in goals and the pre-occupation alluded to above or
Richarlison starting off like a house on fire so even when he'd tailed off he was given excessive respect by other teams

At no time was there any evidence of a structured method of transition from defence into attack that could occur without flashes of mercurial genius. Once that mercurial tendency tails off, we had nothing else, really. It looks like most of the squad have forgotten HOW to attack.
Andre Gray inbound on 11:47 - Aug 31 with 2854 viewsCiderwithRsie

"Hi Andre, welcome to Professor Warburton's Academy for Gifted but Misunderstood and/or Crocked Footballers"

Andre Gray inbound on 11:56 - Aug 31 with 2767 viewsqprd

Clearly we do need a player who can run behind defenses and prevent opposition clubs from playing a high defensive line (which combined with soft pressing high up the pitch, leads to the excessive sideways and backwards passing we see between keeper and centrebacks)

I wonder if we made a mistake in loaning out Bonne... for all his flaws, he is constantly running in behind (even though he was offside loads of times last season).... he's young, hungry and presumably wouldve been ok to be our third choice striker making cameo appearances here and there

by bringing in gray, you kind of throw off the entire balance... lets see if charlie can handle effectively being an impact sub rather than the main man, b/c on the balance of his over all game, i think dykes deserves to be ahead of austin on the pecking order
Andre Gray inbound on 12:07 - Aug 31 with 2679 viewsPhildo

No idea if it is a good signing or not but it does reflect fan base maturity/battlescars that we now say 'is this right' rather than 'more blood'
Andre Gray inbound on 12:27 - Aug 31 with 2490 views00calben

IN WARBS WE TRUST.

Very surprised we're signing him, purely on the basis of our financial situation it seems a little gratuitous. But I think he'll do well for us, he is undoubtedly well capable at this level and he gives us something very different up front.

As others have said, it's really shows the board are going for it this year.

Reminds me very much of the signing of Ishmael Miller in 2010/11.......
Andre Gray inbound on 12:40 - Aug 31 with 2326 viewsRs_Holy

Andre Gray inbound on 11:23 - Aug 31 by HarryHornet

Cheers Harry... so his scoring record at Watford is not too clever and obviously things didn't work out for him there. Just wondering what Luton, brentford or Burnley fans think of him as his record for those clubs looks pretty respectable???

Luton Town 88 (47)
Brentford 47 (18)
Burnley 73 (32)
Watford 113 (19)
[Post edited 31 Aug 2021 12:49]
Andre Gray inbound on 12:48 - Aug 31 with 2232 viewshantssi

Yes, but Stoke picked up Cousins for free so no wonder they were pleased with the deal😜
Andre Gray inbound on 12:48 - Aug 31 with 2226 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Conversely, if you come on here on certain days, you'd think Dykes was a carthorse and Austin was the size of a house but in reality they scored 75% of our goals or something.
Andre Gray inbound on 12:52 - Aug 31 with 2156 viewsjohnhoop

Andre Gray inbound on 12:40 - Aug 31 by Rs_Holy

Cheers Harry... so his scoring record at Watford is not too clever and obviously things didn't work out for him there. Just wondering what Luton, brentford or Burnley fans think of him as his record for those clubs looks pretty respectable???

Luton Town 88 (47)
Brentford 47 (18)
Burnley 73 (32)
Watford 113 (19)

I think that the last of the extracts taken from the Watford board in rsonist's most recent post is pretty interesting. Seems to indicate that with the constant churn of managers and players that they were totally reliant on moments of individual brilliance up front and the tactics were pretty non-existent when it came to the attacking third.
Hopefully Warbs' far greater reliance on tactics in a much more settled team will be to his benefit and enable him to recover the form he showed at the clubs prior to Watford.
Andre Gray inbound on 12:53 - Aug 31 with 2135 viewsHarryHornet

Andre Gray inbound on 12:40 - Aug 31 by Rs_Holy

Luton Town 88 (47)
Brentford 47 (18)
Burnley 73 (32)
Watford 113 (19)

It was always rumoured that he was sent in by lu*on as an undercover agent to wreck us. It worked.
Andre Gray inbound on 12:58 - Aug 31 with 2081 viewsCiderwithRsie

Andre Gray inbound on 18:45 - Aug 30 by BazzaInTheLoft

We should be proud of ourselves.

We would have been like a Cocker Spaniel on it’s owners leg over this transfer a few years ago. Our scepticism shows we’ve grown as fans and brought into the system by and large.

Hopefully we’ll be his road to Damascus club.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 18:46]

A big wait-and-see from me, but it helps that we aren't that club any more. Expectations are low so there can't really be a back-lash if he struggles; he's behind Dykes and Austin in pecking order so our eggs aren't all in this basket; and he must know that he's got to work to make an impact.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024