Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch runners 00:39 - Sep 22 with 10986 viewspaulhoop2

Well done idiots lovely fine coming our way maybe the club should split it with those that broke the law tonight

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Pitch runners on 15:58 - Sep 22 with 2156 viewsNorthernr

Pitch runners on 15:56 - Sep 22 by E17hoop

So you're happy to accept the accountability of any fine that might be levied at the club for a pitch invasion?

I'd clear your diary for this reply mate.
Pitch runners on 16:01 - Sep 22 with 2146 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pitch runners on 15:15 - Sep 22 by kensalriser

You cad, McCarthy.

All along I thought you were an officially endorsed good fellow and now I find out you appointed yourself. You should be ashamed.

No-one told me either!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Pitch runners on 16:07 - Sep 22 with 2121 viewsconnell10

I thought it was a little bit funny , but I've a weird sense of humour...

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Pitch runners on 16:37 - Sep 22 with 2063 viewsQPR_Jim

Pitch runners on 09:28 - Sep 22 by stainrods_elbow

I feel the same way. Can anyone remember anyone being killed or even significantly injured from a pitch invasion? If it's an army of Millwall fans tearing up seats at Kenilworth Road and advancing like Oliver's Army on the home fans that's one thing, but a handful of over-exuberant arrivistes spilling onto the grass in a high-octane cup game is obviously something else. Making it a criminal offence is just a barmy case of the law overreaching itself into football and symptomatic of the contemporary loss of all nuance and difference in regard to such things. Football is theatre, and, as it might have been Baudrillard who argued, essentially this kind of thing is its protagonists trying to take a bit of the stage. There should be some checks and controls to preserve a sensible degree of sanity and safety, sure, but these kind of new moralist fans who want to see football pitches as legally patrolled zones of state control don't understand the historical spirit of the game and need to take a chill pill - if not a bottle of them.

Fans on trees, sitting on the roofs of stands, and piling ecstatically onto the field after famous cup victories may not have been ripped from the pages from a health and safety handbook, but are part and parcel of the folklore of the game - before the politicians, courts, stewards and pen-pushers got hold of it and did their best to squeeze the joy out of it where they could. I feel the same way as the stupidity of players getting booked for celebrating with the fans who play their wages. Are the same joyless suspects whining about a bit of harmless high jinks at HQ also going to finger-waggingly deny that, in exactly the opposite direction, Cantona taking a Kung-fu kick or two at that Palace arse wasn't one of the most marvellous spectacles in a football ground?

Here's the glorious day of Hereford's historic cup win over Newcastle to warm anyone who's got a footballing soul, which also kind of puts events at HQ in context:

[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 9:30]

"Making it a criminal offence is just a barmy case of the law overreaching itself into football and symptomatic of the contemporary loss of all nuance and difference in regard to such things."

Didn't a match in France get abandoned after a pitch invasion earlier this season? If you decriminalise it and ignoring all the safety issues and other points people have raised for a second, what's to stop pitch invasions instigated to abandon a game if your team is losing?

P.S Taarabt with the ball at his feet is the most marvelous football spectacle I've ever seen, not Cantona kicking people, if I wanted to see that I'd watch MMA.
Pitch runners on 16:37 - Sep 22 with 2058 viewsTW_R

Pitch runners on 14:07 - Sep 22 by stainrods_elbow

And such miscreants can and will be dealt with by the courts, as they would if they did so anywhere else. By your logic, however, none of us would be allowed to buy/use knives because of knife crime, go on dates because of sexual assault, or do anything because of someone. Would you favour retrospective punishment for those Herefordians gloriously invading their own turf? There's a kind of insecure incivility in too much safety. At the very least, it's all about context, as was pointed out recently re a steward's heavy-handed treatment of a kid who came on in a recent game to get Adomah's shirt.

I'd say, if anything, that, in the other direction (i.e players invading the stands), players diving into crowds on pain of coloured cards actually attests to a kind of compensatory movement, whereby their expression of their own need for a greater physical intimacy with fans is manifested. It's a kind of sporting/sociocultural rebalancing protest of sorts, if you will, i.e. saying the law(s) matter less than our letting our humanness run over. (Or, if you like, Cantona's 'excessive' retributive violence on that Palace toe-rag was a form of inverted love, as was Eric Dier's stomping across the stand to confront that fan.) Personally, I love the irrepressible theatre of it. Sadly, we don't even see the odd streaker any more either.

Will I be on the field if we go up this season as I was in 2011? Too bloody right, I will. And, I wager, so will hundreds if not thousands of my fellow Rs. But not you, I guess.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 14:14]

Sorry - where have i said any of that? I was just answering your statement of the law over-reaching itself.

As per comments already made, in 2011 you and others ruined one of the best days in our history for thousands of fans. I won't be running onto the pitch because I'm not 12.
Pitch runners on 17:25 - Sep 22 with 1987 viewsPinnerPaul

Pitch runners on 02:17 - Sep 22 by Boston

Yeah, is it only me, but there seems to be something terribly wrong about British people wearing shorts after the age of eleven?

Yep its you!
Pitch runners on 17:37 - Sep 22 with 1957 viewsstowmarketrange

Pitch runners on 16:37 - Sep 22 by TW_R

Sorry - where have i said any of that? I was just answering your statement of the law over-reaching itself.

As per comments already made, in 2011 you and others ruined one of the best days in our history for thousands of fans. I won't be running onto the pitch because I'm not 12.

I don’t think the people who ran on last night will be watching any more games this season at the Kyan Prince at least.
Pitch runners on 18:03 - Sep 22 with 1901 viewsdaveB

Pitch runners on 17:37 - Sep 22 by stowmarketrange

I don’t think the people who ran on last night will be watching any more games this season at the Kyan Prince at least.

I'm sure they will, didn't look like any of them were arrested
Login to get fewer ads

Pitch runners on 18:06 - Sep 22 with 1903 viewsLanhoop

Pitch runners on 18:03 - Sep 22 by daveB

I'm sure they will, didn't look like any of them were arrested

Pitch runners on 18:30 - Sep 22 with 1863 viewsbollockchops

if Illias Chair has is found guilty then he and QPR must be punished.
Our very brave chunky stewards to a terrific job on a minimum wage .
If Everton are re-instated and QPR thrown out , then Chairs not just let the club down, worse than that , he has let himself down !
Pitch runners on 18:50 - Sep 22 with 1822 viewsWhip_It

Pitch runners on 18:06 - Sep 22 by Lanhoop

13 individual court cases for what happened last night is a massive waste of police and court time. Taking Kevin Friend away in a set of handcuffs, on the other hand...

On the subject of mass disorder, did anyone else see the furore when someone in the lower Ellerslie prodded the lino with one of those accident-waiting-to-happen flags that seem to be left around for people to use. Obviously well deserved, but the lino did not seem to like it 'up 'im'!
Pitch runners on 18:54 - Sep 22 with 1814 viewsRanger_Things

Pitch runners on 19:09 - Sep 22 with 1793 viewsTGRRRSSS

Police have time to round up a couple of kids on a pitch but all the while actively enabling people to block the M25.

Some of the fun police comments on here are ridiculous.
Pitch runners on 10:08 - Sep 23 with 1596 viewsdaveB

what a waste of time and money to send them to court. Just get their details, give them a warning and if they do it again then take them to court.
Pitch runners on 10:12 - Sep 23 with 1594 viewsMick_S

Pitch runners on 18:30 - Sep 22 by bollockchops

if Illias Chair has is found guilty then he and QPR must be punished.
Our very brave chunky stewards to a terrific job on a minimum wage .
If Everton are re-instated and QPR thrown out , then Chairs not just let the club down, worse than that , he has let himself down !

Inflatable chair?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Pitch runners on 10:18 - Sep 23 with 1582 viewsGloryHunter

WLS: QPR could face FA action over pitch invasions

And the flag used to poke the lino was left by Jude the Cat.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-could-face-fa-action-over-pitch-invasion
Pitch runners on 10:31 - Sep 23 with 1531 viewsstowmarketrange

Pitch runners on 10:18 - Sep 23 by GloryHunter

WLS: QPR could face FA action over pitch invasions

And the flag used to poke the lino was left by Jude the Cat.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-could-face-fa-action-over-pitch-invasion

Those flags are left by the sides of the pitch at regular intervals for fans or ball boys to wave when the players run out at the start of the game.But I’m surprised they still use them in these covid times.
Pitch runners on 10:46 - Sep 23 with 1481 viewsW7Ranger

Pitch runners on 10:58 - Sep 23 with 1451 viewsGloryHunter

Stupid thing is, the stewards were shoulder-to-shoulder at the Everton end, but loosely spaced out the other three sides. Better to have have risked the Everton fans running on, then they would have got fined, not us.
Pitch runners on 11:32 - Sep 23 with 1393 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Didn't the referee remove something from the pitch after our first goal? I assume it was thrown on by the Everton end.
Pitch runners on 11:35 - Sep 23 with 1381 viewsstowmarketrange

Pitch runners on 11:32 - Sep 23 by Wegerles_Stairs

Didn't the referee remove something from the pitch after our first goal? I assume it was thrown on by the Everton end.

It looked to be a bottle of water.I doubt it would’ve come from our fans.
Pitch runners on 11:38 - Sep 23 with 1364 viewsKonk

I used to love an end-of-season pitch invasion - usually after finishing in midtable, but back then, the away fans were penned-in, and you'd have a load of coppers stood in front of the away end, and there was much less chance of it kicking-off. However, I don't think I've ever seen a pitch invasion involving more than one-or-two people, that hasn't resulted in some divs running towards either opposition fans to give it large, or have a pop at opposition players.

In 2016, Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years, there was a mass pitch invasion with thousands of Hibbies on the pitch, of which, a few hundred thought the best way to celebrate would be to run up to the Rangers End and give them a load of sh it, which inevitably led to quite a bit of scrapping on the pitch. Hibs then weren't able to walk around the pitch with the cup to celebrate with the fans.

As others have said, the stewards/OB/players, have no way of telling whether the pitch invader is just a daft, giddy t wat, or is going to lump someone. And the more it happens, and the more it's normalised, the more often it will happen, because as you can see nowadays with football fans throwing beer everywhere in concourses up and down the country, there are a lot of sheep at the football.

As someone who grew-up in the era of fences, I'd sooner fans stayed off the pitch. Fences were sh it. I've gone absolutely mental at loads of goals and final whistles over the years, but I've never felt the need to go on the pitch.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Pitch runners on 11:41 - Sep 23 with 1354 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Pitch runners on 16:37 - Sep 22 by QPR_Jim

"Making it a criminal offence is just a barmy case of the law overreaching itself into football and symptomatic of the contemporary loss of all nuance and difference in regard to such things."

Didn't a match in France get abandoned after a pitch invasion earlier this season? If you decriminalise it and ignoring all the safety issues and other points people have raised for a second, what's to stop pitch invasions instigated to abandon a game if your team is losing?

P.S Taarabt with the ball at his feet is the most marvelous football spectacle I've ever seen, not Cantona kicking people, if I wanted to see that I'd watch MMA.

Nice-Marseille. Bit more spicy than a few kids running around taking selfies.
Pitch runners on 12:01 - Sep 23 with 1299 viewsBoston

Charlie's vid...teletubbies appear at 7.26. The 3/4 running around don't look like teenagers.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Pitch runners on 12:05 - Sep 23 with 1292 viewsGloryHunter

Pitch runners on 11:38 - Sep 23 by Konk

I used to love an end-of-season pitch invasion - usually after finishing in midtable, but back then, the away fans were penned-in, and you'd have a load of coppers stood in front of the away end, and there was much less chance of it kicking-off. However, I don't think I've ever seen a pitch invasion involving more than one-or-two people, that hasn't resulted in some divs running towards either opposition fans to give it large, or have a pop at opposition players.

In 2016, Hibs won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years, there was a mass pitch invasion with thousands of Hibbies on the pitch, of which, a few hundred thought the best way to celebrate would be to run up to the Rangers End and give them a load of sh it, which inevitably led to quite a bit of scrapping on the pitch. Hibs then weren't able to walk around the pitch with the cup to celebrate with the fans.

As others have said, the stewards/OB/players, have no way of telling whether the pitch invader is just a daft, giddy t wat, or is going to lump someone. And the more it happens, and the more it's normalised, the more often it will happen, because as you can see nowadays with football fans throwing beer everywhere in concourses up and down the country, there are a lot of sheep at the football.

As someone who grew-up in the era of fences, I'd sooner fans stayed off the pitch. Fences were sh it. I've gone absolutely mental at loads of goals and final whistles over the years, but I've never felt the need to go on the pitch.

Exactly. I hated watching football from behind a fence, and I don't want the game to be forced back to that. The moronic pitch invaders should be forced to watch footage of the bodies laid out at Hillsborough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024