Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 22:17 - Jan 25 with 6804 viewsBlackCrowe

Well that was a damp squib. We lacked any intensity until the last 10 minutes. Swansea were quite similar in style to us without much threat up front, played from the back, high line, etc.
So many fouls, the game never got going and the ref didn't really have a grip on it and missed a couple of howlers.
But it shows where we are that a 0-0 almost feels like a loss. I said yesterday that i would be delighted with 4 points from today and next Saturday so on we go to the weekend. You Rs.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Just back on 22:23 - Jan 25 with 3861 viewsMrSheen

We’ve been riding our luck a bit recently, arguably again tonight. Shows again that the parts aren’t interchangeable, Moses worked very hard but interrupts the flow of the play by going back too often. I believe Dozzell has a poor game on Saturday, but I doubt he could have done much less than Amos, at least until his late chance.
Just back on 22:34 - Jan 25 with 3725 viewsSteveB

Just back on 22:23 - Jan 25 by MrSheen

We’ve been riding our luck a bit recently, arguably again tonight. Shows again that the parts aren’t interchangeable, Moses worked very hard but interrupts the flow of the play by going back too often. I believe Dozzell has a poor game on Saturday, but I doubt he could have done much less than Amos, at least until his late chance.

Yup, agree with that. Would like to add somethings that properly boiled my p*ss tonight - every dead ball delivery. Barbet FK from 30 yards, stop it. Who ever thought it was a workable plan?
Every corner, toss...

Oh, and Charlie's offside, not that it mattered - but he was onside, by 2 foot. Ref & Officials were gash.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 22:37]
Just back on 22:51 - Jan 25 with 3553 viewsdannyblue

1. Set pieces. We had a couple inches on their players at every match up but wasted that advantage by slinging it straight to their keeper. Didn't need a good ball, just needed to be kept away from the keepers and we'd have created chances. Frustrating. Could have used that dominance more in open play too.

2. Swansea played some neat stuff but with Austin (not offside), Amos post, and Dykes we had the stand out chances.

3. I felt sorry for Manning. He got kicked in the face by charlie, cleared out by Stef after clearing, and then had his toe trodden on by Albert. All in about 5 minutes, while R block were calling him a cùnt. IIRC all he did wrong was get loaned to Rotherham and not want to renew a contract with a club that didn't seem to want him! Funny though.

4. Their number 4 seemed to have lost it. He got involved when Charlie got manning. Orange carded Albert in basically an assault. And then got Austinned.

5. Dykes was moving very freely. I think we're going to see more from him soon.
Just back on 22:56 - Jan 25 with 3494 viewsthame_hoops

Dykes is becoming one of my favourite Rangers players of the last 8 years, Love him. Reminds me of Sebastian Poulter
Just back on 23:29 - Jan 25 with 3315 viewsWatfordR

Just back on 22:34 - Jan 25 by SteveB

Yup, agree with that. Would like to add somethings that properly boiled my p*ss tonight - every dead ball delivery. Barbet FK from 30 yards, stop it. Who ever thought it was a workable plan?
Every corner, toss...

Oh, and Charlie's offside, not that it mattered - but he was onside, by 2 foot. Ref & Officials were gash.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 22:37]

I always feel uncomfortable having a go at officials when we haven't won, but I make you spot on. If it moved, Swansea fouled it in the first 20 minutes, poor old Moses getting a real working over in particular, including a very early elbow in the throat. Not a thought of a yellow card from the ref to put a stop to it early on.

Charlie's header, definitely onside, that little sh1t Downes should have been off at least 20 minutes earlier for pushing Willock in the back when he'd got goalside, countless fouls missed unless you fell over screaming. Just everything about officiating in the Championship that drives me nuts.
Just back on 23:42 - Jan 25 with 3212 viewsStanisgod

Just back on 22:56 - Jan 25 by thame_hoops

Dykes is becoming one of my favourite Rangers players of the last 8 years, Love him. Reminds me of Sebastian Poulter

A goal or 2 would be nice though.
Agree re officials, awful again, not why we drew but as usual they take action too late.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2022 23:48]

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Just back on 00:34 - Jan 26 with 3019 viewsNorthantsHoop

Never got going in this game, no decent pressing allowing their keeper to venture nearly half way up the pitch for most of their play outs from the back. Dykes missed the best opportunity, half hearted swing with outside of the boot straight at the keeper. You cannot rely on Dykes to score when he gets those type of chances, if that had fell to Austin would have been in the back of the net.
Just back on 00:51 - Jan 26 with 2959 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 00:34 - Jan 26 by NorthantsHoop

Never got going in this game, no decent pressing allowing their keeper to venture nearly half way up the pitch for most of their play outs from the back. Dykes missed the best opportunity, half hearted swing with outside of the boot straight at the keeper. You cannot rely on Dykes to score when he gets those type of chances, if that had fell to Austin would have been in the back of the net.

I agree with a lot of that Northants, but it was the picking of Austin that meant we couldn't do a decent press. He spent most of is time camped out in on the left just watching. If a team is going to press, you can't do it with a man down.

I'm not even sure it was our plan to press. To my eyes, our plan was to invite them through the middle and use Amos to intercept. And it worked at least five times. We just didn't pass or cross well enough once we got away.

Also, Austin missed his own great chance.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 00:58 - Jan 26 with 2934 viewsLythamR

Just back on 00:34 - Jan 26 by NorthantsHoop

I think Dykes had the right idea to hit it early and he just got too much on it so it went straight instead of to the side. I have seen austin sky one straight over the bar from a similar position.

I wouldnt be surprised if Willock misses the reading game he has been properly clattered over the last few game
Just back on 01:31 - Jan 26 with 2863 viewsbob566

Just back on 00:58 - Jan 26 by LythamR

I think Dykes had the right idea to hit it early and he just got too much on it so it went straight instead of to the side. I have seen austin sky one straight over the bar from a similar position.

I wouldnt be surprised if Willock misses the reading game he has been properly clattered over the last few game

Love your positivity but that was a finish I expect from me kicking around with my mates. When you put your laces through it, it's more likely to go straight like it did.
Just back on 03:18 - Jan 26 with 2742 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Just back on 22:56 - Jan 25 by thame_hoops

I'd love him more if he scored. Showed a real lack of composure and awareness with that late miss.
Just back on 08:10 - Jan 26 with 2349 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 03:18 - Jan 26 by Benny_the_Ball

I'd love him more if he scored. Showed a real lack of composure and awareness with that late miss.

Dykes created that opportunity himself with a superb chest pass, showed a real turn of pace and good positional play to take the return pass but unfortunately first touch was a little too close + went to hit it with the outside of his boot and did not get enough on it.

That link up play and running was missing before he came on but unfortunately many will focus on this as sole reason we didn't secure 3 points and not the fact we were in effect playing with 10 men all night and Austin missed an open goal from 6 yards.
Just back on 08:13 - Jan 26 with 2343 viewstraininvain

Despite his miss, I’d be inclined to start Dykes on Saturday and perhaps Thomas as another creative threat alongside Willock.
Just back on 09:09 - Jan 26 with 2209 viewsParkRoyalR

Just back on 08:13 - Jan 26 by traininvain

Despite his miss, I’d be inclined to start Dykes on Saturday and perhaps Thomas as another creative threat alongside Willock.

Dykes with Adomah inside right and Willock inside left with Moses moving over to RWB,

If playing with 2 up top has to be Dykes and Adomah with Willock behind.
Just back on 09:14 - Jan 26 with 2197 viewsPetros

Just back on 08:10 - Jan 26 by ParkRoyalR

Dykes created that opportunity himself with a superb chest pass, showed a real turn of pace and good positional play to take the return pass but unfortunately first touch was a little too close + went to hit it with the outside of his boot and did not get enough on it.

That link up play and running was missing before he came on but unfortunately many will focus on this as sole reason we didn't secure 3 points and not the fact we were in effect playing with 10 men all night and Austin missed an open goal from 6 yards.

This.
Just back on 09:20 - Jan 26 with 2164 viewsTheChef

Swansea got what they came for, easily the most cynical team I've seen this season and of course the ref really didn't enough about it until it was too late. Their number 4 did enough in the game to earn about six yellow cards.

For all that we still had the better chances to win it but there you are, we're still fourth and we have another game on Saturday so let's go again.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Just back on 09:29 - Jan 26 with 2133 viewsBklynRanger

Just back on 09:20 - Jan 26 by TheChef

Swansea got what they came for, easily the most cynical team I've seen this season and of course the ref really didn't enough about it until it was too late. Their number 4 did enough in the game to earn about six yellow cards.

For all that we still had the better chances to win it but there you are, we're still fourth and we have another game on Saturday so let's go again.

I see the Swansea manager is calling us 'very aggressive' - first time I've read that.

They were a lot different to what I was expecting though. I'd guess those high possession stats are inflated by the amount of time they have the ball in hand during stoppages, throw ins, arguments and general fcukery. They did a good job of breaking up what momentum we had in the second half particularly.

Was all very disjointed and we weren't at our best again. Two or three corners wasted and the same with crosses - I enjoyed seeing Moses using his pace in the first half (first time I really remember that) but his final ball let him down a couple of times. Such a pity Luke's shot hit the post - one goal like that in a scrappy affair would have felt just about right.
Just back on 09:35 - Jan 26 with 2103 viewsfrancisbowles

Just back on 22:51 - Jan 25 by dannyblue

1. Set pieces. We had a couple inches on their players at every match up but wasted that advantage by slinging it straight to their keeper. Didn't need a good ball, just needed to be kept away from the keepers and we'd have created chances. Frustrating. Could have used that dominance more in open play too.

2. Swansea played some neat stuff but with Austin (not offside), Amos post, and Dykes we had the stand out chances.

3. I felt sorry for Manning. He got kicked in the face by charlie, cleared out by Stef after clearing, and then had his toe trodden on by Albert. All in about 5 minutes, while R block were calling him a cùnt. IIRC all he did wrong was get loaned to Rotherham and not want to renew a contract with a club that didn't seem to want him! Funny though.

4. Their number 4 seemed to have lost it. He got involved when Charlie got manning. Orange carded Albert in basically an assault. And then got Austinned.

5. Dykes was moving very freely. I think we're going to see more from him soon.

Agree with most of that but with Manning. He was loaned out under a different manager as he was regarded as not being needed and for his development. The loan at Rotherham started well but after that it tailed off and he didn't always make the starting line up.

Under Warburton, he was regularly in the side and the club did want him to sign another contract, despite the fact that he regularly fell over looking for fouls and was incredibly slow and uninterested in tracking back.

Last night, I thought he played quite well, the falling over is still there and this ref was fooled by it. He looked like he has toughened up a bit and seems to have aged ten years with that bushy beard. He seems to play a bit more centrally these days and I would have thought he is a bit small and weak in the air for that but that left foot is a dangerous weapon and I was concerned that he might pull a match winning through ball.

As you say the targeting of the 'little sh1t' was quite funny.
Just back on 09:35 - Jan 26 with 2099 viewsBurnleyhoop

Just back on 03:18 - Jan 26 by Benny_the_Ball

“Snatched at it” as they used to say back in the day.

He could have smoked a cigar whilst deciding which corner to put that in, he had that much space and time. As you say, a lack of composure and awareness. Usually, that quality is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

Far more energy from him tonight though, although he needs to maintain that for a full 90 mins.

Chance creation is becoming a worry and the further delay of Chairs return is starting to hurt, as is the constant targeting of Willock. Without his quality, we become reliant on servicing the strikers from out wide, which was poor last night.

I thought Swansea’s ability to “manage” the ball last night was our undoing. We got frustrated chasing them around the park and lost our composure. Charlie and JoJo in particular.

Still, we go again on Saturday. Can we please ensure someone sticks tight to Swift?
Field, consider yourself nominated.
Just back on 09:37 - Jan 26 with 2073 viewstoboboly

Just back on 09:29 - Jan 26 by BklynRanger

I see the Swansea manager is calling us 'very aggressive' - first time I've read that.

They were a lot different to what I was expecting though. I'd guess those high possession stats are inflated by the amount of time they have the ball in hand during stoppages, throw ins, arguments and general fcukery. They did a good job of breaking up what momentum we had in the second half particularly.

Was all very disjointed and we weren't at our best again. Two or three corners wasted and the same with crosses - I enjoyed seeing Moses using his pace in the first half (first time I really remember that) but his final ball let him down a couple of times. Such a pity Luke's shot hit the post - one goal like that in a scrappy affair would have felt just about right.

Pot. Kettle. Black. From Swansea there.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Just back on 10:03 - Jan 26 with 1994 viewsBlue_Castello

Just back on 09:35 - Jan 26 by francisbowles

Agree with most of that but with Manning. He was loaned out under a different manager as he was regarded as not being needed and for his development. The loan at Rotherham started well but after that it tailed off and he didn't always make the starting line up.

Under Warburton, he was regularly in the side and the club did want him to sign another contract, despite the fact that he regularly fell over looking for fouls and was incredibly slow and uninterested in tracking back.

Last night, I thought he played quite well, the falling over is still there and this ref was fooled by it. He looked like he has toughened up a bit and seems to have aged ten years with that bushy beard. He seems to play a bit more centrally these days and I would have thought he is a bit small and weak in the air for that but that left foot is a dangerous weapon and I was concerned that he might pull a match winning through ball.

As you say the targeting of the 'little sh1t' was quite funny.

Exactly he was loaned out by McLaren or Holloway I can't remember exactly but somebody will , that's no fault of Warburtons and Warbs picked him regularly making him an integral part of the team. He was really good at the attacking element of his game and would have slotted into the left wing back role giving us more pace in that area and his crossing was excellent.
At the end of his contract another one was put on the table but he turned it down, who knows exactly why maybe he was still holding a grudge for being loaned out. The fans used to sing his name as he was "one of our own" , ok we purchased him from Ireland but it felt like a product of the youth recruitment process and for some reason maybe it was just more money he felt he couldn't stay with the club who gave him his big chance.....
Just back on 10:10 - Jan 26 with 1946 viewsPinnerPaul

Referee - thought he was a little hesitant and inconsistent.

Manning did what he did for us, exaggerated any contact and fell over when no contact, despite being 'fouled' by Albert and SJ and 'hit in the face by Charlie' - all right in front of me - didn't need treatment for any of it - funny that?

Ordinary player who would behind Barbet and Wallace if still here.

'One of our best players lost and heading for the PL'?, as some said at the time - I don't think so!
Just back on 10:38 - Jan 26 with 1853 viewsBlue_Castello

Just back on 10:10 - Jan 26 by PinnerPaul

Manning did what he did for us, exaggerated any contact and fell over when no contact, despite being 'fouled' by Albert and SJ and 'hit in the face by Charlie' - all right in front of me - didn't need treatment for any of it - funny that?

'One of our best players lost and heading for the PL'?, as some said at the time - I don't think so!

Yeah I agree the Premier League hype may well have got into Mannings head, there was paper talk of West Ham being interested and his agent may have talked him into not signing as he could make more money as a free agent.
I find it really strange that Martin is using him as a left sided centre back, it was never the strong part of his game but it's all about opinions and I would have really liked him as a left wing back in the current team, his attacking skills were good as I believe he started as a winger and his crossing was excellent which last night was something so badly lacking I can't remember one cross going into the box that I thought was of sufficient quality to give any striker a chance of a strike on goal....
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 10:39]
Just back on 11:17 - Jan 26 with 1767 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just back on 10:10 - Jan 26 by PinnerPaul

I was interested in hearing your view on the ref Pinner. Due to a positive test, had to watch on TV last night, and I had absolutely no problems with the ref bar one or two 50-50 decisions, but you can't expect more than that. Was quite surprised to come on here and find a lot of people felt he didn't ref it well. I suspect had I been there I might have had that opinion too. Thought he got the red card right - that player was a walking red, and could easily have gone earlier imo.
Agree on Manning, although thought he was decent if annoying (as you say, he was always falling over for cheap free kicks for us - although TV replays suggested SJ barely touched him - they both just got up and got on with it).

Bare bones.

Just back on 11:25 - Jan 26 with 1737 viewsTheChef

Just back on 11:17 - Jan 26 by Antti_Heinola

I was interested in hearing your view on the ref Pinner. Due to a positive test, had to watch on TV last night, and I had absolutely no problems with the ref bar one or two 50-50 decisions, but you can't expect more than that. Was quite surprised to come on here and find a lot of people felt he didn't ref it well. I suspect had I been there I might have had that opinion too. Thought he got the red card right - that player was a walking red, and could easily have gone earlier imo.
Agree on Manning, although thought he was decent if annoying (as you say, he was always falling over for cheap free kicks for us - although TV replays suggested SJ barely touched him - they both just got up and got on with it).

Much as I prefer a ref to keep cards in his pocket, an early yellow or two last night would have tempered Swansea's behaviour.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024