Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm 17:49 - Feb 6 with 5875 viewsGloryHunter

With Seny on the bench.

(Stupidly, I've only just realised I can get BBC3 on my TV - I had to retune it, which seems to happen quite often with Freeview.)

Anyway, maybe Mendy will knock himself out on the post and Seny will come on and be the hero for Senegal.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:53 - Feb 6 with 1585 viewsHastings_Hoops

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:38 - Feb 6 by BrianMcCarthy

"Can anybody confirm. Is Seny the first QPR player to win a winners medal in an International tournament?"

Great question, Danny.

To win (while playing for) - probably.

…Cesar won the World Cup as did Ardiles.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 22:55]
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:55 - Feb 6 with 1566 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Goodness that was a hard watch. An eminently forgettable final that brings to an end a largely average tournament. Senegal were clearly the standout team and deserved winners. An Egypt victory would have been hard to stomach; their tactics have been quite negative despite having a pretty decent squad. No surprise to see that they were coached by Carlos Queiroz.

So pleased for Seny. Looking forward to his return.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 23:00]
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:59 - Feb 6 with 1553 viewsBenny_the_Ball

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:02 - Feb 6 by DannyPaddox

Trezeguet is a Cornish name … _shirley

Can anybody confirm. Is Seny the first QPR player to win a winners medal in an International tournament?

What I do know he is the only goalkeeper at this AFCON to be undefeated. 2 games 2 clean sheets. Then on the bench. If he doesn’t get a medal I hope they gave him a soft pillow.

Seny D. is my favourite QPR keeper since Phil Parkes.

Does the Ibiza Cup count as an international tournament?
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 23:02 - Feb 6 with 1525 viewsMrSheen

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:53 - Feb 6 by Hastings_Hoops

Ron Springett was given a World Cup Winner’s medal (by Gordon Brown!) in 2009 when FIFA awarded them retrospectively to all squad players, but he was a Wednesday player during the tournament.

Not forgetting Serge “Olympic Gold” Branco!
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 23:04]
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 00:06 - Feb 7 with 1434 viewsbob566

The only modern players I can think of who were in and around squads who may have were loic remy and Julio Cesar. Don't know if they did though. Probably not as would have seen it on here if they had
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 00:17 - Feb 7 with 1408 viewsSydneyRs

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:55 - Feb 6 by Benny_the_Ball

Goodness that was a hard watch. An eminently forgettable final that brings to an end a largely average tournament. Senegal were clearly the standout team and deserved winners. An Egypt victory would have been hard to stomach; their tactics have been quite negative despite having a pretty decent squad. No surprise to see that they were coached by Carlos Queiroz.

So pleased for Seny. Looking forward to his return.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2022 23:00]

I remember hearing many years ago that an African team would win the world cup by the year 2000. Doesn't look any closer now than it did then.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 01:42 - Feb 7 with 1372 viewsDannyPaddox

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:59 - Feb 6 by Benny_the_Ball

Does the Ibiza Cup count as an international tournament?

Of course the Ibiza Cup counts. It’s a greater tournament than the Champions League FFS. But it is a club tournament and I am referring to International National Sov stuff.

Ibiza Cup second only to be Bortaloti Trofeo (so)
[Post edited 7 Feb 2022 1:51]
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 04:16 - Feb 7 with 1324 viewsBrianMcCarthy

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 00:17 - Feb 7 by SydneyRs

I remember hearing many years ago that an African team would win the world cup by the year 2000. Doesn't look any closer now than it did then.

Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:26 - Feb 7 with 1178 viewsQPR_Jim

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:53 - Feb 6 by Hastings_Hoops

I think Luongo won the equivalent continental competition with Australian but again that was just before he joined us.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:34 - Feb 7 with 1148 viewsstevec

Was going to mention that. Watched a few games and it’s been mind numbing.

When that was mentioned in the 80’s they were free flowing teams and a pleasure to watch. Step in the European coaches and they’ve stifled the skill out of them. Like watching a bunch of robots, all seem to be six foot plus and carbon copy footballers.

Must admit when I first saw Chair my thoughts were neat footballer but at 4 foot 14 inches, might struggle in our modern game. He’s more than disproved that here, but not so it seems in the world of African football.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:40 - Feb 7 with 1153 viewsNorthernr

There's been a couple of near misses - Senegal very good quarter finalists in 2002, Ghana only Suarez cheating away from the semi finals in 2010.

Not much to worry about from the current crop on the evidence of this tournament though.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:51 - Feb 7 with 1129 viewsMrSheen

"Small" countries don't win the World Cup, not since 1950 anyway. Assuming big East African nations like Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania aren't going to develop a stronger football infrastructure and culture soon, it is going to take one out of Nigeria, South Africa, DR Congo, Egypt, Algeria or Morocco getting their act together. Not much sign of it on the evidence of this tournament.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:54 - Feb 7 with 1117 viewsRs_Holy

i think it was Pele who said that?
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 09:02 - Feb 7 with 1096 viewsMetallica_Hoop

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 22:02 - Feb 6 by DannyPaddox

Trezeguet is a Cornish name … _shirley

Can anybody confirm. Is Seny the first QPR player to win a winners medal in an International tournament?

What I do know he is the only goalkeeper at this AFCON to be undefeated. 2 games 2 clean sheets. Then on the bench. If he doesn’t get a medal I hope they gave him a soft pillow.

Seny D. is my favourite QPR keeper since Phil Parkes.

Osvaldo Ardiles is the only one I can think off. Admittedly long before us

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 09:04 - Feb 7 with 1092 viewsdanehoop

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:51 - Feb 7 by MrSheen

"Small" countries don't win the World Cup, not since 1950 anyway. Assuming big East African nations like Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania aren't going to develop a stronger football infrastructure and culture soon, it is going to take one out of Nigeria, South Africa, DR Congo, Egypt, Algeria or Morocco getting their act together. Not much sign of it on the evidence of this tournament.

I was disappointed with Morocco. They played really well in the qualifiers, with lots of flowing attacking football, but were comparatively negative in how they played at the tournament and that really didn't play to the strengths at all.

Never knowingly understood

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 09:07 - Feb 7 with 1087 viewsenfieldargh

Did I hear the commentators say that African World Cup qualification matches are behind held March?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 09:11 - Feb 7 with 1076 viewsWegerles_Stairs

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:40 - Feb 7 by Northernr

There's been a couple of near misses - Senegal very good quarter finalists in 2002, Ghana only Suarez cheating away from the semi finals in 2010.

Not much to worry about from the current crop on the evidence of this tournament though.

I think Senegal have a decent shot this time around, assuming they beat Egypt in the play-off.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 09:26 - Feb 7 with 1053 viewsTheChef

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 21:12 - Feb 6 by dmm

Not only do we have Seny on the Senegal bench, but the three in the tv studio, Jermaine Jenas, Nedham Onuoha and Yaya Toure, all have QPR connections.

What is Yaya Toure's connection to QPR?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 10:57 - Feb 7 with 959 viewsdmm

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 09:26 - Feb 7 by TheChef

What is Yaya Toure's connection to QPR?

He spent some time under Chris Ramsey at QPR early last year coaching the youngsters.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 11:01 - Feb 7 with 934 viewsTheChef

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 10:57 - Feb 7 by dmm

He spent some time under Chris Ramsey at QPR early last year coaching the youngsters.

Oh yeah forgot about that!

Not sure how soon Seny is back but I expect he might miss Boro, I would get him back in the side for Saturday (appreciate though Marshall has done pretty well).

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 11:07 - Feb 7 with 918 viewsCamberleyR

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 08:40 - Feb 7 by Northernr

Cameroon in 1990 too. 7 minutes away from knocking us out in the QFs until we get a slightly fortunate penalty.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 11:32 - Feb 7 with 854 viewstraininvain

Probably not helped by France (and other countries) hoovering up some of the most talented players from Africa.

I seem to remember reading that 15 players from the 2018 World Cup winning France squad would have qualified to play for an African country.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 12:11 - Feb 7 with 806 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 12:27 - Feb 7 with 761 viewsdmm

AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 12:11 - Feb 7 by BazzaInTheLoft

That's amazing. You've got to hand it to him for being well prepared and he probably knew the game would go to pens.
AFCON final on BBC3 at 7pm on 12:29 - Feb 7 with 758 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If Gaddafi had got his way, there might have been a singular pan African side that would have cleaned up from 1990 onwards.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024