Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackburn Match Thread 11:15 - Jul 27 with 50442 viewsDieByYourSide

Come on then, let's have some XIs and predictions.

Dieng
Kakay Dickie JCS Paal
Johansen Field Dozzell
Thomas Chair
Dykes

Subs: Walsh, Dunne, Amos, Adomah, Roberts, Willock, Bonne

Rather Amos and Willock started over Dozzell and Thomas but unlikely due to injuries.

1-1 draw, Chair to score.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Blackburn Match Thread on 21:22 - Jul 30 with 2480 viewsRangersw12

Starting to really dislike Dykes, he does absolutely nothing upfront and barely runs let alone tries to get in decent positions

If he carries on like this then he deserves every bit of stick coming his way. Don't mind if they're not good enough but won't tolerate laziness
Blackburn Match Thread on 21:50 - Jul 30 with 2396 viewsBurnleyhoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 21:07 - Jul 30 by karlski

Not the most inspiring performance, but comes with usual caveats about how early it is (not just in the season, but in MB's reign). What's interesting to me is trying to discern the style of play and minor improvements that can lay the foundation for further progress.

A couple of things stood out: some attempts to get the ball forward quicker with incisive passes out of defence into the middle of the park and one touch layoffs to runners (didn't come off that much, but encouraging to see it tried), Dickie striding forward more which is also encouraging and something he can do well, a bigger appetite for putting the ball in from wide areas, and occasionally getting full backs quite advanced and relatively free to found with diagonals (unfortunately Kakay - who I thought was decent overall - miscontrolled the best opportunity, and it's that type of thing that separates him from decent to good, hope he can improve).

Things lodged in the brain as possible worries: think this team can be outfought and outmuscled, lots of times we looked open to the break and only let off the hook by poor Blackburn final ball/decision making, Chair still hanging on too ball a little too much (if he can get his head up and release the ball earlier sometimes we will go from good to fantastic), not exactly convinced JoJo as the most defensively positioned midfielder will work (Field seemed deeper 2nd half which was generally better). And lastly the big one, little threat up front. I've been a Dykes fan - based on raw potential to develop - and i would love nothing more than for him to come good, but in his time with us I don't think he's added many improvements since he first arrived. You'd hope by now for sharper movements and better involvement in all round play, but it just doesn't seem to be there.

Bonne/Armstrong offered something different when they came on. Loved how Armstrong was constantly showing for the ball and making runs (easier to do off the bench of course, but great attitude. His touch was also a lot better than I'd anticipated - aside from the one where it needed to be perfect at the back post). But like many I'm a little worried about goals, though with Willock back that changes the dynamic because of his ability to carry the ball and create out of nothing. Roberts/Richards could offer something different too.

I love JoJo in concept and he was a great player but honestly he looks like he's going to get overrun more often than not. Obvious quality but legs are gone.

Far, far too early to draw firm conclusions, will be interesting to see how the positives and negatives develop from here.

Agree with most of that Karlski. Ultimately we are very ordinary unless we have Willock in the side. We need someone with that bit of extra quality to turn games. Also think Chair is far less effective without Willock around him as they play on the same wavelength and play off each other. It was even more effective when Eze made up the triumvirate.

The thing I was most disappointed with today was the lack of movement when Dickie or Salter were in possession. They were constantly looking for an outlet, but our midfield seemed static, particularly Dozzell and Johansen. They just don’t have the dynamism and movement needed. For me, that’s why we saw Dickie carrying the ball forwards so often.

I think the balance and movement will improve significantly when Willock, Roberts and Richards are up to speed.

Dykes remains a concern. His hold up play seems nonexistent, although the service into him was paltry. Unless we can find a way of playing to his attributes (what few there seem to be) it seems pointless having him as the focal point of our attack. Maybe Roberts would be far more suited to our current style of play ( coming short, running into channels and supporting Chair/Willock/ Shodipo).

Not a complete disaster today, but we need our strongest eleven out or we are going nowhere fast.
Blackburn Match Thread on 22:26 - Jul 30 with 2278 viewsderbyhoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:46 - Jul 30 by Damo1962

Having limited funds doesn't seem to stop Millwall. It's how we use our meagre resource that is the problem. I'll wait till we've played ten matches before I start analysing our prospects for the rest of the season.

As I said, you have to get v lucky to find a striker for this level on the cheap.
I don't think we've had one (of our own) since Austin left first time.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 22:36 - Jul 30 with 2251 viewsderbyhoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 21:22 - Jul 30 by Rangersw12

Starting to really dislike Dykes, he does absolutely nothing upfront and barely runs let alone tries to get in decent positions

If he carries on like this then he deserves every bit of stick coming his way. Don't mind if they're not good enough but won't tolerate laziness

His first touch is poor and he is still slow to react, whereas an instinctive striker would be better placed. But he makes life uncomfortable for any CB who thinks he's going to get an easy game. Dykes works hard at closing down, which is an under rated part of a forwards job

Not lazy, but probably not good enough. But he's still the best we've got. For now.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 22:39 - Jul 30 with 2244 viewsted_hendrix

I'll give It eight games 30 th August, much clearer picture then of how our new players have bedded in so to speak.
Crap game over 90 odd minutes does'nt give you a clear idea of how the season Is gonna pan out.
Today we lost the first of over 40 battles, we did'nt lose the war.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Blackburn Match Thread on 22:47 - Jul 30 with 2219 viewsessextaxiboy

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:59 - Jul 30 by ParkRoyalR

Always enjoy your FT REPORT analysis Greenbay,

Always balanced and looking for the positives!

Sorry to be negative Greenbay but they do my head in . Its nothing personal .
Blackburn Match Thread on 23:02 - Jul 30 with 2162 viewsjoe90

Blackburn Match Thread on 22:39 - Jul 30 by ted_hendrix

I'll give It eight games 30 th August, much clearer picture then of how our new players have bedded in so to speak.
Crap game over 90 odd minutes does'nt give you a clear idea of how the season Is gonna pan out.
Today we lost the first of over 40 battles, we did'nt lose the war.

I agree.

We only lost 1-0, not liked we got completely smashed!
Blackburn Match Thread on 23:06 - Jul 30 with 2146 viewsessextaxiboy

Blackburn Match Thread on 22:36 - Jul 30 by derbyhoop

His first touch is poor and he is still slow to react, whereas an instinctive striker would be better placed. But he makes life uncomfortable for any CB who thinks he's going to get an easy game. Dykes works hard at closing down, which is an under rated part of a forwards job

Not lazy, but probably not good enough. But he's still the best we've got. For now.

George Thomas would do a much better job of closing defenders down and carries a similar goal threat to Dykes
Login to get fewer ads

Blackburn Match Thread on 23:14 - Jul 30 with 2129 viewsNortholt_Rs

Blackburn Match Thread on 23:06 - Jul 30 by essextaxiboy

George Thomas would do a much better job of closing defenders down and carries a similar goal threat to Dykes

Yep….they both offer zero goal threat. Dykes hasn’t scored since January….

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Blackburn Match Thread on 23:48 - Jul 30 with 2065 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:28 - Jul 30 by derbyhoop

For all those crying doom and calling for signings, where 's the money?
We've got 1 of the lowest budgets in Championship.
Unless you get v lucky, a decent striker will cost £5m +.

No shots on target is a worry but there are attacking options to come in.
I dont expect much this season so I'm not pressing panic buttons when we lose at a ground where we rarely get anything.

Last season alone Piroe, Gyokeres, Riis and Adebayo scored more league goals for their teams than any striker has scored for QPR since Charlie in 2014. None of them cost more than £1.5m. In that timespan we’ve paid millions for Dykes, Washington, Bonne, Sylla… probably others that I’ve forgotten.

Our lack of ability to find a goal scorer is farcical. Your suggestion that it’s impossible to find them under £5m is wide of the mark, a bit like our strikers’ finishing for the best part of a decade.

Finding players that may not be the finished article, developing them and increasing their value is literally the modus operandi, it’s what we’re here to do. And with strikers we’ve failed pretty spectacularly.
Blackburn Match Thread on 00:06 - Jul 31 with 2015 viewsRs_Holy

Blackburn Match Thread on 23:48 - Jul 30 by Padulas_Shampoo

Last season alone Piroe, Gyokeres, Riis and Adebayo scored more league goals for their teams than any striker has scored for QPR since Charlie in 2014. None of them cost more than £1.5m. In that timespan we’ve paid millions for Dykes, Washington, Bonne, Sylla… probably others that I’ve forgotten.

Our lack of ability to find a goal scorer is farcical. Your suggestion that it’s impossible to find them under £5m is wide of the mark, a bit like our strikers’ finishing for the best part of a decade.

Finding players that may not be the finished article, developing them and increasing their value is literally the modus operandi, it’s what we’re here to do. And with strikers we’ve failed pretty spectacularly.

yep it is why MB is now manager and why Warburton was relieved of his duties after saying there was very little in the youth team that he could use. Beale is going to have to get a couple of prem quality loan players to prop up the team just the same as MW did initially and Shteeeve before him. The youth team is not producing anywhere near enough Championship standard players. Why have the club put Shadipo and Niko Hämäläinen in the first team squad when neither has had any impact on the many loans they have been sent on?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 0:07]
Blackburn Match Thread on 00:07 - Jul 31 with 2005 viewsVancouverHoop

Strikers need feeding and, until Willock and Amos, return I don't see anyone in the squad capable of doing that. Possibly Richards or Roberts when they've got their feet wet. Certainly no one in the team today looked capable of delivering a pass any of our front men could do anything with.
Blackburn Match Thread on 00:09 - Jul 31 with 1997 viewsloneranger1

Blackburn Match Thread on 21:50 - Jul 30 by Burnleyhoop

Agree with most of that Karlski. Ultimately we are very ordinary unless we have Willock in the side. We need someone with that bit of extra quality to turn games. Also think Chair is far less effective without Willock around him as they play on the same wavelength and play off each other. It was even more effective when Eze made up the triumvirate.

The thing I was most disappointed with today was the lack of movement when Dickie or Salter were in possession. They were constantly looking for an outlet, but our midfield seemed static, particularly Dozzell and Johansen. They just don’t have the dynamism and movement needed. For me, that’s why we saw Dickie carrying the ball forwards so often.

I think the balance and movement will improve significantly when Willock, Roberts and Richards are up to speed.

Dykes remains a concern. His hold up play seems nonexistent, although the service into him was paltry. Unless we can find a way of playing to his attributes (what few there seem to be) it seems pointless having him as the focal point of our attack. Maybe Roberts would be far more suited to our current style of play ( coming short, running into channels and supporting Chair/Willock/ Shodipo).

Not a complete disaster today, but we need our strongest eleven out or we are going nowhere fast.

Definitely agree with most of that...
- Chair will be better when Willock is back
- Willock, Roberts and Richards getting up to speed will be key
- Dozzell and Johansen too static

I was really disappointed with the those two. Johansen is not living up to what I want from a captain, certainly not leading by example today, I didn't think. We are missing a nasty streak and leadership on the pitch, I think. And what did Dozzell offer? I didn't see any defence-splitting passes, nor did I see him impose himself physically. The number of times he could have cut out/intercepted a pass with a bit more anticipation, and the number of times he didn't play a pass because he is sooooo left-footed, was unbelievable. I thought there was a lot of potential there but at the moment he is a part of a midfield which doens't look physical enough (despite Field's best efforts) and is going to get over-run easily by a lot of Championship team midfields.

I'm not about to "c-bomb" Dykes but as someone who didn't have any drink and certainly no coke, I would say today was the most frustrated I have been with Dykes at a match I've been to. Today and against Palace, I haven't been able to work out if we're not playing to his strengths or if he's not offering enough to the team... There's talk about the closing down he does, and I agree that's important, but we need more effort in his all-round game, and I just didnt seen enough today. Both Bonne and Armstrong seemed more involved in their short time on the pitch. I am wondering whether Dykes' heart is in it really - does he want to be here?

I thought Kakay was just fine, not the best player but by no means the worst. I am more worried about where goals are coming from than I am about right-back, at the moment.
Blackburn Match Thread on 00:16 - Jul 31 with 1985 viewsPunteR

Well I predicted there would be only one goal in it.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Blackburn Match Thread on 00:33 - Jul 31 with 1911 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Blackburn Match Thread on 00:09 - Jul 31 by loneranger1

Definitely agree with most of that...
- Chair will be better when Willock is back
- Willock, Roberts and Richards getting up to speed will be key
- Dozzell and Johansen too static

I was really disappointed with the those two. Johansen is not living up to what I want from a captain, certainly not leading by example today, I didn't think. We are missing a nasty streak and leadership on the pitch, I think. And what did Dozzell offer? I didn't see any defence-splitting passes, nor did I see him impose himself physically. The number of times he could have cut out/intercepted a pass with a bit more anticipation, and the number of times he didn't play a pass because he is sooooo left-footed, was unbelievable. I thought there was a lot of potential there but at the moment he is a part of a midfield which doens't look physical enough (despite Field's best efforts) and is going to get over-run easily by a lot of Championship team midfields.

I'm not about to "c-bomb" Dykes but as someone who didn't have any drink and certainly no coke, I would say today was the most frustrated I have been with Dykes at a match I've been to. Today and against Palace, I haven't been able to work out if we're not playing to his strengths or if he's not offering enough to the team... There's talk about the closing down he does, and I agree that's important, but we need more effort in his all-round game, and I just didnt seen enough today. Both Bonne and Armstrong seemed more involved in their short time on the pitch. I am wondering whether Dykes' heart is in it really - does he want to be here?

I thought Kakay was just fine, not the best player but by no means the worst. I am more worried about where goals are coming from than I am about right-back, at the moment.

"Chair will be better when Willock is back"

I personally think we need to move on from last season.

Illy and Willy is a lovely collection of words but a bit like 'one nation conservative' it's completely meaningless.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Blackburn Match Thread on 01:35 - Jul 31 with 1834 viewsloneranger1

Blackburn Match Thread on 00:33 - Jul 31 by CliveWilsonSaid

Illy and Willy is a lovely collection of words but a bit like 'one nation conservative' it's completely meaningless.

Ha, fair enough and you're probably right... I just think Chair is probably more confident when Willock is on the pitch. It takes some of the creative responsibility off his shoulders and gives him another "reliable" player to pass to... sometimes I wonder if he holds off passing to others because he thinks there is a better chance of retaining possession if he keeps it himslef (however right or wrong he might be!)
Blackburn Match Thread on 02:47 - Jul 31 with 1778 viewsstainrods_elbow

Blackburn Match Thread on 23:48 - Jul 30 by Padulas_Shampoo

This! That should be pinned up over our DOF's + CEO's desk in triplicate! Alongside a mirror for them both to look into.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Blackburn Match Thread on 03:37 - Jul 31 with 1768 viewsmylot50years

Dozzell no energy totally ineffective simply a division one player on a good day, we are not in a position to carry him for another season.
Early days I know but sadly just hasn't got what is required at this level.
Blackburn Match Thread on 04:04 - Jul 31 with 1750 viewsVancouverHoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 00:33 - Jul 31 by CliveWilsonSaid

Maybe, but there's truth in the quote.

I realise we all love Ilias to bits, but he has a serious limitation. When in possession he never looks up. He's always looking at the ball at his feet. Really good players don't do that. It means he rarely sees the open man. We can all join in to dump on Dykes, but maybe if Illy looked up once in awhile the strikers would get more opportunities? At the moment only Willock seems to be able to read Chair well, which why they're so effective together. They're certainly greater than the sum of their parts especially Chair.
Blackburn Match Thread on 07:08 - Jul 31 with 1602 viewsPunteR

Blackburn Match Thread on 04:04 - Jul 31 by VancouverHoop

Maybe, but there's truth in the quote.

I realise we all love Ilias to bits, but he has a serious limitation. When in possession he never looks up. He's always looking at the ball at his feet. Really good players don't do that. It means he rarely sees the open man. We can all join in to dump on Dykes, but maybe if Illy looked up once in awhile the strikers would get more opportunities? At the moment only Willock seems to be able to read Chair well, which why they're so effective together. They're certainly greater than the sum of their parts especially Chair.

This was alluded to by dykes in a pre season match interview. When asked about his goal he said something along the lines of Chair passed to him for once. Was a bit tongue in cheek but I think they're all aware of his limitations.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Blackburn Match Thread on 08:31 - Jul 31 with 1477 viewsParkRoyalR

Blackburn Match Thread on 07:08 - Jul 31 by PunteR

This was alluded to by dykes in a pre season match interview. When asked about his goal he said something along the lines of Chair passed to him for once. Was a bit tongue in cheek but I think they're all aware of his limitations.

This was most apparent Millwall away last year where I think all 3 of Dykes, Austin and Gray were despairing of getting a simple pass off Chair.

If Armstrong was showing his frustration after 10 minutes yesterday you can see the root of our attacking problems without Willock.

Hughill was also a forward who didn't create chances for himself, yet how many good chances did he regularly put into the Upper Loft as he was continually fed quality early ball by Eze.

Just don't see an effective 442 with our current squad and unless these other 2 players we're after land, believe we're between two systems without the right players for either.
Blackburn Match Thread on 09:04 - Jul 31 with 1386 viewsQPROslo

Blackburn Match Thread on 07:08 - Jul 31 by PunteR

I didn't rate Chair's performance as a whole yesterday. He didn't have the ball at his feet much at all, let alone do much with it. For large parts of the game he looked a spectator.
Blackburn Match Thread on 09:25 - Jul 31 with 1297 viewsdmm

Football message boards are all about opinions and the occasional rant. Most of us do that. But after one game - meaning there's 45 over the next 9 months left to go - aren't some going overboard with the negativity?

If we'd won yesterday and some were saying we were the best thing since sliced bread, I'd feel the same about overdoing the positivity.
Blackburn Match Thread on 09:47 - Jul 31 with 1226 viewsmonners1969

At best we might get 2 players in ? Just wondering where we’d want them

Right back is a must (kakay did fine yesterday but we only have drewe as cover?)
Where else do we spend our “money” ( almost certainly to be a loan)

CB Dms and AMs we seem ok?

Dunne dickie JCS and one from gibbons masterston
SJ SF JD Luke Amos with Bettache as cover
Chair willock shodipo Richards Adomah

We have 3 strikers (one in poor form one unsettled and one very young and raw)

A lot seems to depend on where Roberts will play once fit?

It’s a tough challenge for Beale and the management team to solve
Blackburn Match Thread on 09:51 - Jul 31 with 1212 viewsDixie_CT

Blackburn Match Thread on 09:25 - Jul 31 by dmm

Football message boards are all about opinions and the occasional rant. Most of us do that. But after one game - meaning there's 45 over the next 9 months left to go - aren't some going overboard with the negativity?

If we'd won yesterday and some were saying we were the best thing since sliced bread, I'd feel the same about overdoing the positivity.

Pretty much agree with the marathon, not a sprint sentiment.

However, I think it was the limp nature of the defeat against a bang average opponent that is priming the negativity.

There was also a lack of visible change in style and approach from Warburton to Beale with us still trying to find new answers to the same questions but with the same input.

Dozzell, Shodipo, Thomas, and increasingly, Dykes, don’t look like helping to move us forward and there is a change for Bonne, Richards, Roberts, and a returning Willock, to dramatically change the dynamic of this team. I think we will also see two new players come in before the deadline, probably Dujon Sterling, and hopefully Cameron Archer. Both would get on the way of Kakay and Armstrong but we are in a competitive league and not just a breeding ground for potential.

Having said all this, Chair shows more quality and Armstrong controls the cross from Kakay, and we could have left with something.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024