Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackburn Match Thread 11:15 - Jul 27 with 50433 viewsDieByYourSide

Come on then, let's have some XIs and predictions.

Dieng
Kakay Dickie JCS Paal
Johansen Field Dozzell
Thomas Chair
Dykes

Subs: Walsh, Dunne, Amos, Adomah, Roberts, Willock, Bonne

Rather Amos and Willock started over Dozzell and Thomas but unlikely due to injuries.

1-1 draw, Chair to score.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:50 - Jul 30 with 2537 viewsPinnerPaul

Blackburn Match Thread on 16:58 - Jul 30 by Boston

Oh no, they were well matched. Uninspired, little flair, lackluster game, blimey, what happened to the new manager bounce!
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 16:59]

Blackburn stole it!
Blackburn Match Thread on 17:54 - Jul 30 with 2493 viewstraininvain

I like Dieng but he surely has to save that shot. Top keepers would be catching it.

Hard to read too much into the rest of it. I thought it was fairly even but we didn’t create much. Same story as last third of last season without Willock.

I suspect a lot is resting on keeping Willock fit and how quickly Roberts and Richards (and perhaps Armstrong) adapt.
Blackburn Match Thread on 17:57 - Jul 30 with 2455 viewsdavman

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:48 - Jul 30 by PinnerPaul

Perspective, with only 1 game to go in this round of matches only Burnley has won away.

How many teams registered no shots on target and no corners though?

You can make stats say what you want.

It has to get better from there - would take a point from next week right now to be fair, but can see a P3 L3 by the time we get to Blackpool (h) and add in the abject cup defeat to Charlton when Beale gives a final chance to the second string and we'll need balls of steel to keep positive...

'Twas always thus...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:59 - Jul 30 with 2419 viewsParkRoyalR

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:23 - Jul 30 by Greenbay

FT REPORT
Blackburn 1 QPR 0
OK - let's face it - it wasn't the greatest of starts.
Poor in attack - our biggest problem - as it is with every other team.
Very little creativity.
But let's not overestimate the quality of the Championship.
There are going to be some poor teams in this division.
And based on this match both QPR and Blackburn will finish in the top half.
We will pick up enough points and we will be well clear of the relegation zone.
That's just in case you were worried!!
Top 6 finish - highly unlikely - unless the return of Willock, Amos, along with Tyler Roberts, on loan from Leeds, and Taylor Richards, on loan from Brighton, who had some minutes late in the game, make a big difference.
We are certainly quicker out of defence than last season.
How often have we complained - side to side - getting nowhere.
No doubt this is a big improvement on the last campaign.
A Travis 30 yard goal, 11 minutes before HT, was the difference - but in truth 2-0 would have been fair.
Seny - so calm and thoughtful - could have done much better.
To get nowhere near a long-range shot was very disappointing.
But he is a good goalkeeper.
His positioning and smart clearances - are well worthy of a Championship No.1.
So to the individuals.
I know Osman Kakkay takes a lot of stick on here - but I thought he had a good game.
That was apart from being 'roasted' once by Brereton-Diaz.
As mentioned last season he has great pace and enthusiasm.
I wouldn't mind seeing him wide in the midfield - although we do have an overflow of players in that area - some of them surely will be departing on loan soon.
Our defence looks tidy with Dunne covering the centre-back roles - off the bench.
In midfield - yes Shodipo has pace but debatable at Championship level.
You can't - of course - make a decision after just one game.
As for Dozzell - he threatens to be good - then sort of disappears.
Up front I like Sinclair Armstrong. He's just a baby at this level.
But give him time and plenty of substitute minutes - and he'll come good.
As for Dykes - I go along with several posters.
But here's a plea - Lyndon prove us all wrong.
So where are we after this match.
We are a midtable outfit.
But it could all change - as mentioned - once Willock, Amos, Robert along with Richards all make the starting eleven.
Disappointing this result - yes.
But we expected this anyway.
Give MB time.
Time will tell.

Always enjoy your FT REPORT analysis Greenbay,

Always balanced and looking for the positives!
Blackburn Match Thread on 18:04 - Jul 30 with 2376 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:57 - Jul 30 by davman

How many teams registered no shots on target and no corners though?

You can make stats say what you want.

It has to get better from there - would take a point from next week right now to be fair, but can see a P3 L3 by the time we get to Blackpool (h) and add in the abject cup defeat to Charlton when Beale gives a final chance to the second string and we'll need balls of steel to keep positive...

'Twas always thus...

How long does the Dof get?
He's had 7.5 years and never addressed the right back/wing back role and wasted many millions trying to sort out a goalscorer and recruited donkeys #cluelessLF #wasteofmoney #greatstrikershitDoF #FerdinandOut #QPR
Blackburn Match Thread on 18:09 - Jul 30 with 2316 viewsGreenbay

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:59 - Jul 30 by ParkRoyalR

Always enjoy your FT REPORT analysis Greenbay,

Always balanced and looking for the positives!

Thanks ParkRoyalR.
Have to look on the bright side.
Blackburn Match Thread on 18:17 - Jul 30 with 2243 viewspaulparker

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:04 - Jul 30 by superhoopdownunder

How long does the Dof get?
He's had 7.5 years and never addressed the right back/wing back role and wasted many millions trying to sort out a goalscorer and recruited donkeys #cluelessLF #wasteofmoney #greatstrikershitDoF #FerdinandOut #QPR

I find it strange that Les was one of the best strikers in the world at his peak but can’t scout a striker to save his life

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:19 - Jul 30 with 2213 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:09 - Jul 30 by Greenbay

Thanks ParkRoyalR.

Why are we so accepting crap recruitment from a former legend (on the field not off it)
Ferdinand has only wasted money on crap donkeys such as Washington and Dykes
Not good enough for the mighty QPR
Stop freeloaders and hangers on - we need the best people for every role
Les great forward - hopeless DoF (7.5 years to prove how rubbish he is as DoF)
Login to get fewer ads

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:23 - Jul 30 with 2172 viewsDejR_vu

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:17 - Jul 30 by paulparker

I find it strange that Les was one of the best strikers in the world at his peak but can’t scout a striker to save his life

You would think, if there was one thing he could do, it would be that.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:28 - Jul 30 with 2125 viewsTGRRRSSS

I don't think Les is a scout don't we employ scouts?

I always struggle with the Director of Football role as it still seems to have lots of influence but less accountability than Head Coach or Manager.

I have to say though I've been quietly fearing this season a bit something somehow.... be interesting to see where we are 3 games in by 5pm next Saturday.

Blackpool is important because we've got Boro next weekend
Blackburn Match Thread on 18:28 - Jul 30 with 2123 viewsderbyhoop

For all those crying doom and calling for signings, where 's the money?
We've got 1 of the lowest budgets in Championship.
Unless you get v lucky, a decent striker will cost £5m +.

No shots on target is a worry but there are attacking options to come in.
I dont expect much this season so I'm not pressing panic buttons when we lose at a ground where we rarely get anything.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:29 - Jul 30 with 2115 viewsTGRRRSSS

Just realised nexyt game is Boro
Blackburn Match Thread on 18:29 - Jul 30 with 2115 viewsnumptydumpty

A result that could be expected any time really.

But performance wise both teams seemed to be in pre season too.

Some of our subs looked promising.

I was hopeful for shodipo today but like with most our players today, he was fading in and out of the game like most others.

From the first few games Dykes had when Austin joined and few games for Scotland thought we had unearthed a gem but he seems invisible sometimes and not taking up correct positions. Bonne I think currently I prefer to start.

But the guys coming in that missed out today and a new man in, I would hope to be a grade up, but appreciate difficult to find.

But yes Armstrong he definitely has potential to be so much better than our current top two strikers.

Field was noticeably good

Salter Clarke looked assured and there were signs Dickie taking the ball out of defence and striding forwards which he did on several occasions.

Johansen and Dozzell were not up to speed and somehow both need have few good games to keep their places for me.

Adomah flatters sometimes as does Thomas but you can get occasional quality from both.

Richards had a few silky touches which looked good as did Roberts when saw in friendly, willock and Amos to come back also so it wasn't the worst start ever.

And to be fair thought Dieng could have done better with the goal and Kakay hit bar with similar long range strike which could have dipped in on another day.

Chair was the one I felt a tad worried about. Still always seems to want to score the wonder goal as opposed to looking into passing when shots unlikely or also simply to retain possession.

I think Paal was quietly efficient. Kakay is enthusiastic and can look ok going forwards but he cam overdo things and get caught out of position and Blackburn did break couple times when this happened down his flank.

I probably could have predicted 1 or 2 nil loss for this game whenever it could be played though to be fair

I think the key to our season this time will be how is our home form to be. It collapsed last season in second half.

We definitely need our twelfth man on song if we are to get into the top half of the table.

Currently we are in the relegation zone. Can't see that being an issue myself.

Something around 14th but could see us as high as 9th perhaps dependent on extra signings and how the new players bed in.

Think all today really told me was we are not going to be in the champions league in four years, if that is indeed the latest plan !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:47 - Jul 30 with 1968 viewsMick_S

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:09 - Jul 30 by Greenbay

Thanks ParkRoyalR.

Yes sir. Carry on mate, just stop with the drugs. 😂

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:49 - Jul 30 with 1944 viewsTonto

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:50 - Jul 30 by WokingR

You really are a condescending prick at times.

If those times are midnight to 11.59 pm Monday to Sunday.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:20 - Jul 30 with 1807 viewsTGRRRSSS

We got Shodipo almost 7 years ago and thus far at almost 26 (in November) I have yet to see anything that suggests he will do anything, 2 long loans at Sheff Wed and Oxford don't really suggest he's suddenly going to come good.

What the hell contract did we give him FFS?
Blackburn Match Thread on 19:22 - Jul 30 with 1803 viewsDTIG

Blackburn Match Thread on 17:12 - Jul 30 by DejR_vu

Hmm, let’s see how many we win away. Short memories

Yep. Please Tell me how many we won away in the last half / third of the season, which is what I was referring to.
Nothing wrong with my memory
Blackburn Match Thread on 19:30 - Jul 30 with 1764 viewsMyke

I blame this defeat on the OP being started too early in the week. By mid-way through the second half we looked listless and out of ideas.
Blackburn Match Thread on 19:32 - Jul 30 with 1745 viewsDejR_vu

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:22 - Jul 30 by DTIG

Yep. Please Tell me how many we won away in the last half / third of the season, which is what I was referring to.
Nothing wrong with my memory

Hmmm, very selective

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:39 - Jul 30 with 1694 viewsstainrods_elbow

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:30 - Jul 30 by Myke

I blame this defeat on the OP being started too early in the week. By mid-way through the second half we looked listless and out of ideas.

And we weren't exactly bursting with ideas for the first one and a half halves, unless I missed something.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:40 - Jul 30 with 1699 viewsMatch82

Blackburn Match Thread on 16:40 - Jul 30 by joolsyp

Without wanting to be too down on Dykes - Armstrong's shown more in 5 mins than Dykes did in 70.

Have to say the thing I noticed most about Armstrong was how irritated he got when he didn't get a perfect pass exactly where he wanted. Two or three times he reacted angrily towards team mates. Love the passion, but that's bold reacting like that for a young unproven striker making their debut at this level.
Blackburn Match Thread on 19:46 - Jul 30 with 1672 viewsstevenomad01

Just Back,

Two sides pretty evenly matched. Difference was their worldly goes in ours hits the bar. We have so little up front though its difficult to see where the goals will come from.
Not to defend Dykes, but he didn't get any quality service and neither Chair or Shopido got with in 10m of him at anytime. I think he needs someone up with him, just not that loan man up front type. Bonne did well and looks more suited to the style of play.
Blackburn Match Thread on 19:46 - Jul 30 with 1665 viewsDamo1962

Blackburn Match Thread on 18:28 - Jul 30 by derbyhoop

For all those crying doom and calling for signings, where 's the money?
We've got 1 of the lowest budgets in Championship.
Unless you get v lucky, a decent striker will cost £5m +.

No shots on target is a worry but there are attacking options to come in.
I dont expect much this season so I'm not pressing panic buttons when we lose at a ground where we rarely get anything.

Having limited funds doesn't seem to stop Millwall. It's how we use our meagre resource that is the problem. I'll wait till we've played ten matches before I start analysing our prospects for the rest of the season.
Blackburn Match Thread on 19:59 - Jul 30 with 1613 viewsDejR_vu

Blackburn Match Thread on 19:46 - Jul 30 by Damo1962

Having limited funds doesn't seem to stop Millwall. It's how we use our meagre resource that is the problem. I'll wait till we've played ten matches before I start analysing our prospects for the rest of the season.

Indeed.

A few years ago it was Brentford and all the apologists were saying “it’s not a fair comparison, we’re years behind them”. Whilst excuses continue to be made here they’ve carried on and gone onto a totally different level. No accountability at this club. We can’t afford any passengers. Any organisation is only as good as the people making the important decisions. LF and CR have both failed abysmally.

Blackburn Match Thread on 21:07 - Jul 30 with 1428 viewskarlski

Not the most inspiring performance, but comes with usual caveats about how early it is (not just in the season, but in MB's reign). What's interesting to me is trying to discern the style of play and minor improvements that can lay the foundation for further progress.

A couple of things stood out: some attempts to get the ball forward quicker with incisive passes out of defence into the middle of the park and one touch layoffs to runners (didn't come off that much, but encouraging to see it tried), Dickie striding forward more which is also encouraging and something he can do well, a bigger appetite for putting the ball in from wide areas, and occasionally getting full backs quite advanced and relatively free to found with diagonals (unfortunately Kakay - who I thought was decent overall - miscontrolled the best opportunity, and it's that type of thing that separates him from decent to good, hope he can improve).

Things lodged in the brain as possible worries: think this team can be outfought and outmuscled, lots of times we looked open to the break and only let off the hook by poor Blackburn final ball/decision making, Chair still hanging on too ball a little too much (if he can get his head up and release the ball earlier sometimes we will go from good to fantastic), not exactly convinced JoJo as the most defensively positioned midfielder will work (Field seemed deeper 2nd half which was generally better). And lastly the big one, little threat up front. I've been a Dykes fan - based on raw potential to develop - and i would love nothing more than for him to come good, but in his time with us I don't think he's added many improvements since he first arrived. You'd hope by now for sharper movements and better involvement in all round play, but it just doesn't seem to be there.

Bonne/Armstrong offered something different when they came on. Loved how Armstrong was constantly showing for the ball and making runs (easier to do off the bench of course, but great attitude. His touch was also a lot better than I'd anticipated - aside from the one where it needed to be perfect at the back post). But like many I'm a little worried about goals, though with Willock back that changes the dynamic because of his ability to carry the ball and create out of nothing. Roberts/Richards could offer something different too.

I love JoJo in concept and he was a great player but honestly he looks like he's going to get overrun more often than not. Obvious quality but legs are gone.

Far, far too early to draw firm conclusions, will be interesting to see how the positives and negatives develop from here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024