Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 20:20 - Aug 6 with 77838 viewsNortholt_Rs

Credit where it’s due - I thought he had an excellent game today.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lyndon Dykes on 09:37 - Aug 21 with 2232 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 09:33 - Aug 21 by Wilkinswatercarrier

The reason people "support" Dykes is because he is all we have and there is no one else available. Robert's is not a striker (see Leeds strike rate), Bonne is leaving probably and when he does play is clearly not strong enough to lead the line, while Armstrong is extremely raw, his appearance yesterday clearly showed up his lack of experience.
So maybe we as supporters need to "support" Dykes because I think he is going to be our main striker this season.
I also think he works better as a 2 up top, no coincidence his most prolific period was with Austin.

I agree with much of what you said in your post.......I am talking about what PRR says on this MB.

At the games I do not 'shout & holler' at LD, just quiet 'huffs & puffs' about his pretty poor/average play.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:35 - Aug 21 with 2133 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Lyndon Dykes on 09:33 - Aug 21 by Wilkinswatercarrier

The reason people "support" Dykes is because he is all we have and there is no one else available. Robert's is not a striker (see Leeds strike rate), Bonne is leaving probably and when he does play is clearly not strong enough to lead the line, while Armstrong is extremely raw, his appearance yesterday clearly showed up his lack of experience.
So maybe we as supporters need to "support" Dykes because I think he is going to be our main striker this season.
I also think he works better as a 2 up top, no coincidence his most prolific period was with Austin.

I agree he's better in a two as he can win some headers and create some space for the more natural striker. His poor touch and failure to anticipate where crosses are going means he's pretty hopeless up top on his own.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:35 - Aug 21 with 2137 viewsted_hendrix

He's not very good, In all the time he's been here he's still not very good.
Once In a blue moon he might have a good game, but that Is nowhere near what we need up front which Is stating the bleeding obvious.

This Isn't a new problem, It's a problem that hasn't been addressed for a long time and that is the difficulty for our club, finding someone to replace him within our budget.

It's somewhat disappointing though that we're still waffling on about Dykes and his shortcomings, his shortcomings have been around for a long--long time now.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Lyndon Dykes on 10:51 - Aug 21 with 2078 viewsEsox_Lucius

He wasn't worse than Johanssen, Paal or Dickie today. Dickie appeared to have caught Rio Ferdinand disease yesterday the amount of times he failed to read the build up play and was easily turned. He's never been quick but his awareness needs a lot of sharpening up.

The grass is always greener.

Lyndon Dykes on 11:13 - Aug 21 with 2016 viewsdannyblue

Lyndon had an amazing 6 months in the second half of the 21-22 season scoring all kinds of goals and beating defenders up consistently for months. It coincided with his bromance with Charlie. He also looks more impressive for Scotland.

This shows he can do it, and I think it's a mental / comfort thing at Rangers. I can't help suspect that there's something cultural at play. He seems maybe a little shy and covers it up with tattoos, and has a very Aussie approach. He grew up as a sporty kid on the gold coast. He feels comfortable with people like Charlie and perhaps those in the Scottish camp.

He doesn't seem to bond, on the pitch or elsewhere, with our other attacking players. All of them, who have what seems to me a more savvy street style, have been very good at forming bonds. Roberts already seems to fit in with Chair and Willock for example, reading body language and 1-2s.

While he's what we've got, I think he might perform better in a dressing room with a less London culture. Would probably excel at Preston or somewhere like that.

Cue comments 'whoever heard of an Aussie failing to settle in West London'...
Lyndon Dykes on 11:23 - Aug 21 with 1965 viewsHayesender

Smattering of boos yesterday in Q block when the teams were read out and Dykes was starting.

Unforgivable to boo our own players (besides Bosingwa) and helps no one

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Lyndon Dykes on 11:29 - Aug 21 with 1933 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 11:23 - Aug 21 by Hayesender

Smattering of boos yesterday in Q block when the teams were read out and Dykes was starting.

Unforgivable to boo our own players (besides Bosingwa) and helps no one

The same block that gave Austin that emotional send-off after he completely rode the club and its fans last year, can't same I'm surprised.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:29 - Aug 21 with 1930 viewsDejR_vu

Starting to feel reminiscent of the first half of the 20/21 season where we were creating chances but just couldn’t take them and we were staring a relegation battle in the face. Austin comes in, starts taking some of those chances, transformed the whole team.

No team can hope to do well without being able to score goals. If we don’t / can’t get one in to score a few, we’re in trouble. Unforgivable that we’re in this situation, yet again.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 11:44 - Aug 21 with 1894 viewsR_from_afar

Lyndon Dykes on 09:16 - Aug 21 by gazza1

You can say what you like about LD but most of it is not correct.....leads the line well, all round game is good, ties up two CB's - really?? (please explain), you constantly go on about service to LD - you have to make good, intelligent & timed runs but LD does not make enough of them.

Chair should have scored (why wasnt it LD making that run that Chair did??), so should Armstrong, so should a couple of others but LD is our CF that has a key responsibility for the team to score goals....sadly he doesn't. But it is not just that, he fails on so many occasions to control the ball and lay it off correctly, he fails to win so many 50/50 headers, he is dominated by the opposition players, he fails to attack the ball in the box so frequently, his runs outside are not good either and 50/50 challenge he frequently turns his back.......he has scored so few goal in the last 20 games.

I fail to see why you constantly 'support' a player, on this MB board, that is so, so limited.

We really do need to remember that even if the board were willing to stump up the considerable funds required to buy a good quality Championship striker, until our revenues increase significantly, we simply do not have the FFP headroom to do that.

For that reason, we have no choice but to try to muddle through with lower quality players bought in the hope they will improve, home grown talent, and loans.

This is the reality of our situation and why FFP is unfair and fatally flawed. From the moment FFP was introduced, clubs with smaller grounds and fanbases were put at an instant disadvantage. There are teams in our division with over twice the ground capacity.

The system favours the big teams and should be replaced by one based on a maximum total player budget per season.

Never going to happen, though

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Lyndon Dykes on 12:07 - Aug 21 with 1811 viewsdavman

Lyndon Dykes on 11:44 - Aug 21 by R_from_afar

We really do need to remember that even if the board were willing to stump up the considerable funds required to buy a good quality Championship striker, until our revenues increase significantly, we simply do not have the FFP headroom to do that.

For that reason, we have no choice but to try to muddle through with lower quality players bought in the hope they will improve, home grown talent, and loans.

This is the reality of our situation and why FFP is unfair and fatally flawed. From the moment FFP was introduced, clubs with smaller grounds and fanbases were put at an instant disadvantage. There are teams in our division with over twice the ground capacity.

The system favours the big teams and should be replaced by one based on a maximum total player budget per season.

Top post.

Slight disagreement on how FFP should pan out though. To me if benefactors pay whatever they want up front directly into the club (no loans or other such shite) and fund every deal at the time of transaction (putting money for transfer fees and wages for the duration of the contract into the club), the EFL should let them do it.

The "fair" in FFP is grossly unfair. Scum and Citee have built their clubs in an "unsustainable" manner, so why can't other small clubs?

As to Dykes, I agree with most of the stuff on this thread. He was shite when he got here, had a good run for 6 months, but has reverted to type.
So, he is shite, but he's ours and we have to get behind him hoping that he improves in time to be sold for a profit before he goes into the last year of his contract.

Unfortunately, none of that is likely...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lyndon Dykes on 12:07 - Aug 21 with 1816 viewsLoftgirl

Lyndon Dykes on 11:13 - Aug 21 by dannyblue

Lyndon had an amazing 6 months in the second half of the 21-22 season scoring all kinds of goals and beating defenders up consistently for months. It coincided with his bromance with Charlie. He also looks more impressive for Scotland.

This shows he can do it, and I think it's a mental / comfort thing at Rangers. I can't help suspect that there's something cultural at play. He seems maybe a little shy and covers it up with tattoos, and has a very Aussie approach. He grew up as a sporty kid on the gold coast. He feels comfortable with people like Charlie and perhaps those in the Scottish camp.

He doesn't seem to bond, on the pitch or elsewhere, with our other attacking players. All of them, who have what seems to me a more savvy street style, have been very good at forming bonds. Roberts already seems to fit in with Chair and Willock for example, reading body language and 1-2s.

While he's what we've got, I think he might perform better in a dressing room with a less London culture. Would probably excel at Preston or somewhere like that.

Cue comments 'whoever heard of an Aussie failing to settle in West London'...

Maybe he's got Ned Zelicitis.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:20 - Aug 21 with 1760 viewsDannytheR

FWIW I don't know how much longer Dykes will be starting games for Scotland. Was up there last week with the Scottish branch of the family, and among the ones who follow the national team, there was a similar sense of him as a player who just hasn't delivered on the promise he was seen to have had a couple of years ago.

They reckon Stewart from Sunderland is likely to be picked ahead of him. (Already got 3 goals this season.)
Lyndon Dykes on 12:24 - Aug 21 with 1732 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 12:07 - Aug 21 by davman

Top post.

Slight disagreement on how FFP should pan out though. To me if benefactors pay whatever they want up front directly into the club (no loans or other such shite) and fund every deal at the time of transaction (putting money for transfer fees and wages for the duration of the contract into the club), the EFL should let them do it.

The "fair" in FFP is grossly unfair. Scum and Citee have built their clubs in an "unsustainable" manner, so why can't other small clubs?

As to Dykes, I agree with most of the stuff on this thread. He was shite when he got here, had a good run for 6 months, but has reverted to type.
So, he is shite, but he's ours and we have to get behind him hoping that he improves in time to be sold for a profit before he goes into the last year of his contract.

Unfortunately, none of that is likely...

How can you call a player shite and then says let's get behind him?

Had an average game yesterday but in comparison to the much loved Conor Washington who I can't recall touching the ball,

Dykes had a decent strike with his weaker left foot well saved, but like his chance last week needed to find the corner, won a good near post header for Roberts far-post chance / penalty appeal, made a good near post run when Dunne's cut-back was blocked, made a good far post run when Chair maybe should have put in a first time cross on his left but took 6 touches and then whacked in a cross...on his left and...arguably was missed as a focal point from our attack when subbed-off,

Conor Washington was shite, Austin was shite for the whole of last season, but Dykes shite?... yet he's been our 1st Choice striker in front of Austin, Gray and Bonne? How bad must they be?
Lyndon Dykes on 12:41 - Aug 21 with 1699 viewsdaveB

Lyndon Dykes on 11:29 - Aug 21 by ParkRoyalR

The same block that gave Austin that emotional send-off after he completely rode the club and its fans last year, can't same I'm surprised.

Good to see Charlie is still living rent free in your head.
In fairness to the fans they also sang his name in the second half when he was clearly struggling.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:45 - Aug 21 with 1682 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 12:24 - Aug 21 by ParkRoyalR

How can you call a player shite and then says let's get behind him?

Had an average game yesterday but in comparison to the much loved Conor Washington who I can't recall touching the ball,

Dykes had a decent strike with his weaker left foot well saved, but like his chance last week needed to find the corner, won a good near post header for Roberts far-post chance / penalty appeal, made a good near post run when Dunne's cut-back was blocked, made a good far post run when Chair maybe should have put in a first time cross on his left but took 6 touches and then whacked in a cross...on his left and...arguably was missed as a focal point from our attack when subbed-off,

Conor Washington was shite, Austin was shite for the whole of last season, but Dykes shite?... yet he's been our 1st Choice striker in front of Austin, Gray and Bonne? How bad must they be?

There we go again, going on about Washington, Chair, Austin, Gray, Bonne, etc, etc......this a a thread about LD, you are just deflecting the argument!!!

He was poor again yesterday, the shot from 12 yards should have been in the bottom corner and not into the keeps hands like it was - poor strike whether it is with his left or right foot. He had to keep it low, he had so much space and time but he bungled it. Keeper 'well saved', it was a pass back at a fantastic height for the keeper to catch it - he is a pro footballer earning a lot of money every week ffs. All your examples are simple stuff, key things like scoring is what counts and he has scored 2 in 20 or something of that order. AS for the focal point stuff....I thought Armstrong got more involved in the time he was on that LD did.

I really don't understand why you think so highly of LD.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:49 - Aug 21 with 1676 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 12:41 - Aug 21 by daveB

Good to see Charlie is still living rent free in your head.
In fairness to the fans they also sang his name in the second half when he was clearly struggling.

Not at all, but when a player is spending weeks tweeting about Swindon and trying to take them for the mugs he took us for, then acting shocked when his contract isn't extended, I certainly wouldn't be singing his name, especially after his performances all season when he did make himself available, conditioning aside.

And by comparison they boo Dykes, we do have some special fans.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:51 - Aug 21 with 1668 viewsgazza1

Lyndon Dykes on 11:44 - Aug 21 by R_from_afar

I don't know and don't want to know about FFP......my interest is football but I understand that we cannot buy ££££ players for budgetary reasons.

Bottom line is that LD is a poor footballer imho, and I fail to see how supporters do not see that most times that he pulls the shirt on. He has cost us 5 points in the last two games imho.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 12:51]
Lyndon Dykes on 12:57 - Aug 21 with 1659 viewsdaveB

Lyndon Dykes on 12:49 - Aug 21 by ParkRoyalR

Not at all, but when a player is spending weeks tweeting about Swindon and trying to take them for the mugs he took us for, then acting shocked when his contract isn't extended, I certainly wouldn't be singing his name, especially after his performances all season when he did make himself available, conditioning aside.

And by comparison they boo Dykes, we do have some special fans.

a handful of people booed him, the majority got behind him again
Lyndon Dykes on 12:59 - Aug 21 with 1647 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 12:45 - Aug 21 by gazza1

There we go again, going on about Washington, Chair, Austin, Gray, Bonne, etc, etc......this a a thread about LD, you are just deflecting the argument!!!

He was poor again yesterday, the shot from 12 yards should have been in the bottom corner and not into the keeps hands like it was - poor strike whether it is with his left or right foot. He had to keep it low, he had so much space and time but he bungled it. Keeper 'well saved', it was a pass back at a fantastic height for the keeper to catch it - he is a pro footballer earning a lot of money every week ffs. All your examples are simple stuff, key things like scoring is what counts and he has scored 2 in 20 or something of that order. AS for the focal point stuff....I thought Armstrong got more involved in the time he was on that LD did.

I really don't understand why you think so highly of LD.

I accept forwards are judged on goals as some of our excellent posters previously noted, some strikers who offer very little to the team (e.g. Gray) need to be 1 in 2 whereas some forwards who offer more to the team and create space for your 10's to score should be achieving a 1 in 3 ideally.

All the stuff you said he didn't do yesterday I have highlighted he actually did, so usual tosh, that stuffs now easy, it's now not about that stuff, it's only goals that count.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:03 - Aug 21 with 1644 viewsJPC

Without re-watching the game on highlights, seemed to me that a lot of our crosses, particularly from Laird, were along the ground. I suspect that this is deliberate, but wonder why no run is being made into the near post? It’s my only real criticism of Dykes is that he seems to be on his heels waiting to see what happens rather than gambling. It makes the crossing look really poor. I could be getting this completely wrong of course and he’s been told to anticipate a clipped ball in, but it didn’t look like it yesterday
Lyndon Dykes on 13:20 - Aug 21 with 1599 viewsderbyhoop

Lyndon Dykes on 23:51 - Aug 16 by DannytheR

Agreed. I can only envy the sophisticated football mind able to relish just how beautifully Dykes "led the line" tonight. As a clueless philistine, it looked to me like a poor and seemingly not very interested performance from a player who increasingly delivers that as the norm.

This isn't working out for anyone. He's going backwards. We need better.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 23:52]

Put up the £4-5m necessary and you can choose who you want.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lyndon Dykes on 13:36 - Aug 21 with 1556 viewsDannytheR

Lyndon Dykes on 13:20 - Aug 21 by derbyhoop

You seriously think it would take £5m to improve on Dykes?
Lyndon Dykes on 13:37 - Aug 21 with 1554 viewsstanistheman

Lyndon Dykes on 13:03 - Aug 21 by JPC

Without re-watching the game on highlights, seemed to me that a lot of our crosses, particularly from Laird, were along the ground. I suspect that this is deliberate, but wonder why no run is being made into the near post? It’s my only real criticism of Dykes is that he seems to be on his heels waiting to see what happens rather than gambling. It makes the crossing look really poor. I could be getting this completely wrong of course and he’s been told to anticipate a clipped ball in, but it didn’t look like it yesterday

Dykes has always been $-hit as a lone striker at QPR. His only good spell was alongside Austin (who was mostly poor last season as often also played on his own as Warburton preferred a 1 striker formation). As last long as Beale continues the same attack formation with Dykes nothing will change.

The Board need to pay for a striker and perhaps recoup the money in the January window by selling a player (preferably with a loan back agreement - Fulham and Liverpool had one with Carvahlo but it failed to register in time). Other clubs have done these too and we should have 2 seasons ago to fund signing Wells by selling Eze and loaning him back.

Of course we can do nothing and hope that the injured players will recover and stay fit and everything will click into place with goals shared out between Willock, Chair, Roberts, Richards, Amos, Armstrong and of course Dykes scoring his 8-10.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:45 - Aug 21 with 1523 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Lyndon Dykes on 13:20 - Aug 21 by derbyhoop

No offence but I don't buy into this lazy argument. There are plenty of other clubs with limited budgets unearthing better strikers than Dykes. For example, the lad who scored for Rotherham yesterday already has 4 for the season.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:51 - Aug 21 with 1500 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 13:45 - Aug 21 by Benny_the_Ball

No offence but I don't buy into this lazy argument. There are plenty of other clubs with limited budgets unearthing better strikers than Dykes. For example, the lad who scored for Rotherham yesterday already has 4 for the season.

And scored 4 in the whole of last season in a promotion winning League 1 side.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024