Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of the road... 22:02 - Aug 9 with 9930 viewsbaz_qpr

Hamalainen, Shodipo, Thomas, Bonne

Last chance saloon: Dozzell

Front of the Queue and new first sub: Sinclair Armstrong

I hope that is what Beale learnt tonight
End of the road... on 08:07 - Aug 10 with 2552 viewsdaveB

End of the road... on 00:25 - Aug 10 by baz_qpr

I think the case for the defence with Chair is that he did not train all last week and has a week old baby and that is going to impact both physically and mentally.

Maybe but I'm not seeing excuses for anyone else they all need to go after 1 poor game
End of the road... on 08:16 - Aug 10 with 2530 viewsHunterhoop

What we’re seeing from Chair isn’t one game either. His form has been poor, and arguably been getting worse since AFCON. He’s clearly one of our more talented players, but it’s not translating into good performances. He’s slowing us down in attack and his execution of passes, shots and crosses, is not good at the minute, by anyone’s standards.

We all want him to succeed, but I think he is going to have to develop if he wants to keep his place. He needs to get his head up, move the ball earlier (make the ball do the work if you don’t have raw pace) and move off it better.

At present, especially if he’s tired due to his first baby, play Roberts, Dykes and Armstrong away at Sunderland. Bit of pace on the counter. You can then have a 4 and a 3 or a 5 and 2 (basically Dozzell vs a centre half) behind them to sit deep and break it up. I think we have to think a bit differently with the available players we have and the support we’ll need to provide Niko and Kakay up against an in form Jack Clarke.
End of the road... on 08:30 - Aug 10 with 2484 viewsswisscottage

End of the road... on 08:16 - Aug 10 by Hunterhoop

What we’re seeing from Chair isn’t one game either. His form has been poor, and arguably been getting worse since AFCON. He’s clearly one of our more talented players, but it’s not translating into good performances. He’s slowing us down in attack and his execution of passes, shots and crosses, is not good at the minute, by anyone’s standards.

We all want him to succeed, but I think he is going to have to develop if he wants to keep his place. He needs to get his head up, move the ball earlier (make the ball do the work if you don’t have raw pace) and move off it better.

At present, especially if he’s tired due to his first baby, play Roberts, Dykes and Armstrong away at Sunderland. Bit of pace on the counter. You can then have a 4 and a 3 or a 5 and 2 (basically Dozzell vs a centre half) behind them to sit deep and break it up. I think we have to think a bit differently with the available players we have and the support we’ll need to provide Niko and Kakay up against an in form Jack Clarke.

Chair's best games come when he's playing with technically good players he trusts and has an understanding with around him on the left.

Play him with:
BOS and Eze
Wallace and Willock

And you see the best of him.

Put him with the like of Hamaleinen, Dozell and Bonne and is it any wonder he feels he has to do it all himself and form takes a dive accordingly because he isn't quite at that level.
End of the road... on 08:39 - Aug 10 with 2458 viewsHunterhoop

I think there’s some truth in that, Swiss, but it’s also an easy cop out. The best players don’t drop to the standards of those around him, they rise above it. He was playing inferior opposition to him (in my opinion) and he failed to execute the basics of show for it enough. He resorted to dropping deep to collect it but more often that not set back to the centre half. And this isn’t a short lived things. His form has been poor for 8 months.

He’s obviously still a better player than most of our squad, but I feel he’s stagnating or going backwards at the minute. And for one of our key players, that is a problem. He should be dictating games and worrying opposition. He’s not.

Desperately keen for him to find his form again.
End of the road... on 09:14 - Aug 10 with 2408 viewsderbyhoop

End of the road... on 23:05 - Aug 9 by Antti_Heinola

yeah all very well going 'ship them out' but with a squad as small and thin as ours, there's almost no one we can let leave without new blood, certainly not 5 of them.

Finally, a bit of common sense.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

End of the road... on 09:46 - Aug 10 with 2331 viewsnadera78

Unfortunately, many football fans seem to have forgotten the concept of a 'squad player' - those guys we all know are not in the top 15/16 players but instead fill out a squad and play the odd game here and there when injuries and suspensions strike. Everyone seems to demand 2 equally gifted players for each position, and then a couple more on top. There's certainly no-one in the Championship without a parachute payment who can afford to do that.

And the truth is, even if we could find other clubs for some of the players listed by the OP, at this stage of the season and with our budget restrictions it's unlikely any incoming players would be first choice selections. More likely squad players, but a bit better than the ones we're getting rid of.
End of the road... on 09:53 - Aug 10 with 2296 viewsNorthernr

End of the road... on 08:30 - Aug 10 by swisscottage

Chair's best games come when he's playing with technically good players he trusts and has an understanding with around him on the left.

Play him with:
BOS and Eze
Wallace and Willock

Put him with the like of Hamaleinen, Dozell and Bonne and is it any wonder he feels he has to do it all himself and form takes a dive accordingly because he isn't quite at that level.

When you talk about 'trust', something I've noticed a couple of times before, and was very apparent from our position down by the left corner flag last night - a few of our players, Chair the worst offender, won't pass to the 'lesser' players they don't trust. Kakay and Nico were on a few times last night, and they shape to pass to them, see the ball, see who it is, and check back and go try find somebody else. They do it to Dykes a bit as well.
End of the road... on 09:54 - Aug 10 with 2294 viewsdaveB

End of the road... on 09:53 - Aug 10 by Northernr

When you talk about 'trust', something I've noticed a couple of times before, and was very apparent from our position down by the left corner flag last night - a few of our players, Chair the worst offender, won't pass to the 'lesser' players they don't trust. Kakay and Nico were on a few times last night, and they shape to pass to them, see the ball, see who it is, and check back and go try find somebody else. They do it to Dykes a bit as well.

And then you get Niko and Kakay getting stick for not wanting the ball enough when no one passes to them.
Login to get fewer ads

End of the road... on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 2286 viewsNorthernr

End of the road... on 09:54 - Aug 10 by daveB

And then you get Niko and Kakay getting stick for not wanting the ball enough when no one passes to them.

Well the only thing I disagree with you on was Niko last night. Again, probably didn't do him any favours that we were basically standing right next to him, but he was so poor.

But, yes, they definitely hold back from passing to him, and Ozzy, when it is on. Did the same to Drewe when he came on, and I've seen Chair do it with Dykes as well.
End of the road... on 10:01 - Aug 10 with 2251 viewsdaveB

End of the road... on 09:58 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Well the only thing I disagree with you on was Niko last night. Again, probably didn't do him any favours that we were basically standing right next to him, but he was so poor.

But, yes, they definitely hold back from passing to him, and Ozzy, when it is on. Did the same to Drewe when he came on, and I've seen Chair do it with Dykes as well.

I didn't think Niko was any good, at best a 5/10 but we had far bigger problems than him last night
End of the road... on 10:04 - Aug 10 with 2241 viewsJamesB1979

Kakay I have criticised before but he does always give 100%. He tries his best to defend and go forward. But Niko….it’s no surprise that he played poorly. Maybe being harsh but the lad just doesn’t seem to have the desire to defend. Young(ish) lad….show some bloody fight.
End of the road... on 10:06 - Aug 10 with 2232 viewsNorthernr

I've been quite happy with Kakay to this point. Done nothing wrong at all.
End of the road... on 10:08 - Aug 10 with 2209 viewsterryb

Shodipo definitely contributed far more thasn Adomah last night!

Personally, I think that Chair's reluctance to pass has increased since his involvement with Morocco. Perhaps due to being ignored by his international team mates?

This isn't a new happening at Rangers though. I can recall players throughout the decades that wouldn't pass to some of their colleagues. Marsh, Wegerle & Freeman being prominent.
End of the road... on 10:49 - Aug 10 with 2104 viewsLazyFan

End of the road... on 10:06 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Yeh he's played okay. If he's our desperate choice at RB, then he's not that bad.

I notice, Uncle and Dozzel have been working with him down the right.

What I noticed is Uncle and Kakay go down the right side of the last third, playing one-twos and then Dozzell comes up behind them if they need support Dozzell can receive the ball and using his left foot spray it to the other side of the pitch once the oppo has been stretched to the right.

This is clearly a new tactic from Beale. If they can pull it off, as it does not involve Willock, this should hopefully when spread left give Willock the space to attack. We'll see.

zzzzzzzzzz

End of the road... on 10:55 - Aug 10 with 2061 viewsHunterhoop

Quite. He’s adequate. He’s not a top 6 full back, but he’s fine for this level. Certainly no worse than Todd Kane or Moses (better defensively, worse offensively), in my opinion.

Niko plays like a wet dish cloth though. No fight or energy. For his size he could/should be so much more physical.
End of the road... on 11:16 - Aug 10 with 1976 viewsstanistheman

Play him with:
BOS and Eze
Wallace and Willock

This is my view of him too.
There was little movement ahead of him last night, although I still expected better shooting from him when he created some space.

I would play either a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 at Sunderland. Armstrong Dykes and Roberts with Chair behind them and Johansen and Field in midfield.

I don’t know how we can provide my re support for the weakest link at left back. If I e can get a loan in that would be the best for the club. Dujon Sterling maybe, and move Kakay across hopefully is still an option.
End of the road... on 11:39 - Aug 10 with 1909 viewsstantheman10

Play him with:
BOS and Eze
Wallace and Willock

If he's a good player he should be able to make poorer players better.
I would personally sell him and use the money to give Willock a better contract because Chair isn't anywhere near the quality of Willock
End of the road... on 11:43 - Aug 10 with 1895 viewsDejR_vu

I think Kakay gets a bit of a bumb rap. He’s never going to be a superstar but I think he’s capable of being a very decent player. He’s managed to come through our academy so must have something about him even if he’s not the most talented. I wouldn’t be surprised if he steps it up another level. I’m pretty sure he won’t give up the shirt without a fight. For a club in our financial position it strikes me that we could spend the money better somewhere else.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

End of the road... on 11:48 - Aug 10 with 1870 viewsBrianMcCarthy

End of the road... on 10:55 - Aug 10 by Hunterhoop

Quite. He’s adequate. He’s not a top 6 full back, but he’s fine for this level. Certainly no worse than Todd Kane or Moses (better defensively, worse offensively), in my opinion.

Niko plays like a wet dish cloth though. No fight or energy. For his size he could/should be so much more physical.

"Quite. He’s adequate. He’s not a top 6 full back, but he’s fine for this level. Certainly no worse than Todd Kane or Moses (better defensively, worse offensively), in my opinion."

Agreed. Also, in his defence, and in the defence of all of our full-backs, they're currently being asked to play narrow in a four and then get out quick to the wings to stop crosses from one/two wide oppo players and often without help from a wide Rangers player.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

End of the road... on 11:52 - Aug 10 with 1856 viewsLongsufferingR

End of the road... on 22:07 - Aug 9 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, believe Shodipo has end product which is a rare commodity in the Championship.

Sorry, I see it the other way. I think end product is exactly what he lacks. All the skills, pace, trickery that you would want but the crossing/final pass/shooting are what lets him down.
End of the road... on 12:03 - Aug 10 with 1810 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Kakay was okay last night but still think we need an upgrade who can cross the ball consistently. We really were spoilt with the Bard and Clive Wilson, weren't we?

I felt sorry for Nico last night. That first half he looked like a competition winner who'd got the opportunity to play with his favourite team. You could steer an oil tanker through the space he was leaving to his man on their right-hand side.
End of the road... on 13:02 - Aug 10 with 1672 viewsQPROslo

End of the road... on 22:07 - Aug 9 by ParkRoyalR

Agree, believe Shodipo has end product which is a rare commodity in the Championship.

Yes, Shodipo very nearly got us a winner at the death there with a good effort.

The one mentioned in the OP who I'd be happy to see let go is Thomas. Never see him do much good, has missed all the great chances he has been given and often as last night the game seems to pass him by. We look like we have enough midfielders considering the promising youngsters so despite his good humour, he'd be first on my list to cut wages.
End of the road... on 13:04 - Aug 10 with 1666 viewsMedwayR

Just watched the highlights, from Hamalainen I noticed a good cross and a good ball up the line to Armstrong, suggesting he might be technically good enough but his lack of ability defensively stood out even in the highlights. Maybe we try him as a winger instead of a left back?

Poll: Who’s better?

End of the road... on 13:29 - Aug 10 with 1553 viewsQPROslo

End of the road... on 13:04 - Aug 10 by MedwayR

Just watched the highlights, from Hamalainen I noticed a good cross and a good ball up the line to Armstrong, suggesting he might be technically good enough but his lack of ability defensively stood out even in the highlights. Maybe we try him as a winger instead of a left back?

I didnt see Niko do much wrong last night and he did put through some decent passes. Thought he did ok, he wasn't great but did seem more involved in the game than both Thomas and Bonne. A 5 or 6 out of 10.
End of the road... on 13:39 - Aug 10 with 1503 viewsNed_Kennedys

End of the road... on 13:29 - Aug 10 by QPROslo

I didnt see Niko do much wrong last night and he did put through some decent passes. Thought he did ok, he wasn't great but did seem more involved in the game than both Thomas and Bonne. A 5 or 6 out of 10.

He’s currently got a 4.2 on the ratings on here.
Yesterday was his best opportunity to show everyone what he could do against a League One reserve team and he blew it (as did a few of his colleagues).
Finances wouldn’t have allowed it but I’d much rather have kept Lee Wallace for another season on some kind of pay if you play deal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024