Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top 6. Surprised??? 11:43 - Sep 19 with 5524 viewsQPRVAS

As we start the first international break of the season I thought I'd say that I'm pleasantly surprised to see us in the top 6.
I went into the new season without any real expectation and although what we've seen has been a right mixed bag I'm now beginning to believe that if injuries are kind to us and we can bring in a striker in January who can score a few goals we might be able to make up for last season's disappointing ending.
Come on you R's.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 11:47 - Sep 19 with 3839 viewsaston_hoop

What has pleasantly surprised me so far has been the style of play. Once the 2 full backs got up to speed, we started playing some lovely stuff. Willock and Chair seem to have so much freedom, Johansen is back to his old self. I'm entertained and I hope to continue to be entertained.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Top 6. Surprised??? on 12:02 - Sep 19 with 3780 viewsdmm

I thought we'd start slowly, improve as the season went on and finish upper-ish midtable. So yes, I'm surprised and really rather pleased. Beale will now work towards getting a consistently high level of performance which, with the players returning from injury, could be achievable.

I'm thinking of reviewing where I thought we'd finish in the table this season but maybe not quite yet.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 13:03 - Sep 19 with 3631 viewsWatfordR

Yes, surprised at where we are and delighted at how well we are playing. Both exceeding my expectations.

However, I think the key issue for us will be depth of squad. We have a number of key positions where we have nothing comparable to cover. Injuries to Dieng, Paal, Laird, Chair or Willock significantly reduce our ability to play as we are beginning to. You're then looking at Archer, Travelman, Kakay, dropping Roberts into cover Illy or Willy, thus reducing options up front, and whoever plays there won't be as good.

Possibly if we are lucky and keep this lot fit until the World Cup starts, and keep the momentum going, we may be able to do something in the next window to address it, but that's probably going to need Dickie or Dunne out the door first.

For now though, pretty pleased.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 13:10 - Sep 19 with 3609 viewskensalriser

Progress is pleasing given the disappointment of some of the opening games, but given how close the table is I think our current position is pretty meaningless right now.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Top 6. Surprised??? on 13:22 - Sep 19 with 3579 viewsPunteR

I'm not surprised. We spent most of last season top 4. We should and so far have built on last seasons performances.
Agree with Kensalriser though it's still very early in the season to properly judge anything.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Top 6. Surprised??? on 14:00 - Sep 19 with 3499 viewsderbyhoop

We're obviously not the finished article but we are getting better with each game. And with each extended training sessions.

At our best we are capable of a playoff place, but injuries to key players could derail the project.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Top 6. Surprised??? on 14:34 - Sep 19 with 3420 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Not surprised, actually disappointed we are not in the top 4. The manager is a massive improvement on Warburton and the squad is better with pace.
We have dropped 7 points at home against Rotherham, Blackpool and Stoke, add them and we are 2nd.
Football wise I haven't seen a better football team than us yet. I still think we will be playoffs minimum if we stay injury free to key players.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 15:19 - Sep 19 with 3310 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Our form hasn't totally surprised me. A little good, a little bad, a little meh. We seem to be rounding into form and have played some good football of late, which I expected to occur a bit later in the campaign.

But I am surprised we're in the top six. Kind of shows the level of parity in the middle of the Championship at the moment. A whole lot of mediocre teams.
Login to get fewer ads

Top 6. Surprised??? on 16:21 - Sep 19 with 3204 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pleasantly.

Even allowing for learning curves, I was slightly concerned after the first few games.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Top 6. Surprised??? on 16:23 - Sep 19 with 3198 viewsDWQPR

Top 6. Surprised??? on 16:21 - Sep 19 by BrianMcCarthy

Pleasantly.

Even allowing for learning curves, I was slightly concerned after the first few games.

Ditto

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Top 6. Surprised??? on 16:58 - Sep 19 with 3095 viewsgazza1

We are 6th because the standard thus far has been pretty average.....Stoke were not bad (best so far), M'boro were OK but when you look at the likes of B'burn, Rotherham, Hull, Blackpool, Millwall & Swansea then we should have gotten more points than we have.

As for us, we are progressing well but are still lacking 'up front'.....and we will get punished for that
Top 6. Surprised??? on 17:26 - Sep 19 with 3036 viewsDavieQPR

We still need to do a lot better on the 'easier' chances and be less reliant on crackers from outside of the box. Otherwise I can only see us getting better under Beale.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 19:59 - Sep 19 with 2862 viewsHastings_Hoops

The elephant in the room is that we need to sell Willock in January as he won’t sign a new contract.

…all comes down to how we re-invest.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 23:22 - Sep 19 with 2657 viewsstevec

15 from 10 is 69 points over the season and 8/9th place so very surprised.

If 76 points gets you a play off spot we are already needing to up the points average from 1.5 to 1.7. If automatic is 86 points we are already needing 2 points a game hereon.

Big ask without a CF. Enjoy the moment.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 00:06 - Sep 20 with 2628 viewsSydneyRs

Great so far but so much depends on injuries. Not a lot to fall back on after the first 11. Full backs especially.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 01:57 - Sep 20 with 2596 viewsbob566

Top 6. Surprised??? on 16:58 - Sep 19 by gazza1

We are 6th because the standard thus far has been pretty average.....Stoke were not bad (best so far), M'boro were OK but when you look at the likes of B'burn, Rotherham, Hull, Blackpool, Millwall & Swansea then we should have gotten more points than we have.

As for us, we are progressing well but are still lacking 'up front'.....and we will get punished for that

A little disrespectful on Rotherham. Watched them away at Boro. They're a well drilled team who can beat anyone on their day
Top 6. Surprised??? on 06:50 - Sep 20 with 2498 viewsNorthernr

I think like Gazza says we've had quite a kind run of games, after the first week which looked really difficult and we took four points. We come back to Bristol A, Sheff Utd A and Luton A in the first four games which will be interesting.

But, overall, as I keep saying, it's a crap league. We were far better than Watford who've got all manner of advantages over us when we played them there - and yet could easily have lost or drew the game. Nine of the 11 games we've played so far (I thought we took Hull and Millwall apart) could easily have gone the other way to how they ended up. I think Sheff Utd are going to cruise it, and Norwich will be a bit too good again, but the rest of it looks proper sht.

I'm slightly surprised we're as high as we are, and I think you'll struggle to maintain that if you're quite as reliant as we are on goals from outside the area (four games already this season where we've failed to score), but if you've got everybody fit then you've got two of the best ten players in the league in attack, two of the best full backs in the division, decent centre backs and a decent goalkeeper so you'll do alright in a league where fcking Reading are third.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Top 6. Surprised??? on 07:42 - Sep 20 with 2404 viewsgazza1

Top 6. Surprised??? on 01:57 - Sep 20 by bob566

A little disrespectful on Rotherham. Watched them away at Boro. They're a well drilled team who can beat anyone on their day

Yea maybe, I suppose you look at 'Rotherham' and in your mind you think win, win, win BUT I know it is not quite as easy as that. I still think that we should have beaten Rotherham on the day....
Top 6. Surprised??? on 07:45 - Sep 20 with 2397 viewsgazza1

Top 6. Surprised??? on 06:50 - Sep 20 by Northernr

I think like Gazza says we've had quite a kind run of games, after the first week which looked really difficult and we took four points. We come back to Bristol A, Sheff Utd A and Luton A in the first four games which will be interesting.

But, overall, as I keep saying, it's a crap league. We were far better than Watford who've got all manner of advantages over us when we played them there - and yet could easily have lost or drew the game. Nine of the 11 games we've played so far (I thought we took Hull and Millwall apart) could easily have gone the other way to how they ended up. I think Sheff Utd are going to cruise it, and Norwich will be a bit too good again, but the rest of it looks proper sht.

I'm slightly surprised we're as high as we are, and I think you'll struggle to maintain that if you're quite as reliant as we are on goals from outside the area (four games already this season where we've failed to score), but if you've got everybody fit then you've got two of the best ten players in the league in attack, two of the best full backs in the division, decent centre backs and a decent goalkeeper so you'll do alright in a league where fcking Reading are third.

This post has been edited by an administrator

What I have seen thus far, it is a pretty average league - things could change though as we move forward in the season.....'happy' with 6th position, tough games going forward, for sure.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 07:53 - Sep 20 with 2384 viewsDieByYourSide

Bit surprised MB was talking pre-Stoke about how the result on Saturday would define how good our start had been and is now constantly referencing our league position.

Thought he’d said it was irrelevant until March when he just wanted us to be in the conversation?

Poll: And it's hi ho

Top 6. Surprised??? on 07:57 - Sep 20 with 2378 viewsNorthernr

Top 6. Surprised??? on 07:53 - Sep 20 by DieByYourSide

Bit surprised MB was talking pre-Stoke about how the result on Saturday would define how good our start had been and is now constantly referencing our league position.

Thought he’d said it was irrelevant until March when he just wanted us to be in the conversation?

Mate don't try to spot contradictions in what Beale says, you'll be here all night.
Seems to be working though!
Top 6. Surprised??? on 08:25 - Sep 20 with 2305 viewsStevenageRanger

Top 6. Surprised??? on 14:34 - Sep 19 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Not surprised, actually disappointed we are not in the top 4. The manager is a massive improvement on Warburton and the squad is better with pace.
We have dropped 7 points at home against Rotherham, Blackpool and Stoke, add them and we are 2nd.
Football wise I haven't seen a better football team than us yet. I still think we will be playoffs minimum if we stay injury free to key players.

I actually think most teams in this league can easily say if we had done this or hadnt done that we would be here.

Have a mate who is a Swansea ST holder and they have let 3 goals in beyond the 91 minute to drop 3 points, he is saying that should easily put them in play offs.

As said all clubs will have a story of points dropped and thats what makes this league so tight. I always say, win 2 to 3 games on the trot and you talk about play offs/promotion, lose 2 to 3 and you think you could get relegated! :)
Top 6. Surprised??? on 09:33 - Sep 20 with 2173 viewsPinnerPaul

Top 6. Surprised??? on 07:57 - Sep 20 by Northernr

Mate don't try to spot contradictions in what Beale says, you'll be here all night.
Seems to be working though!

"Spot the Contradiction in Post Match Manager Interviews"

A game for all the family, suitable from age 3 upwards.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 09:34 - Sep 20 with 2163 viewsPinnerPaul

In answer to op, as there are only 3 points between 5th and 17th, my answer is no.
Top 6. Surprised??? on 13:11 - Sep 20 with 1946 viewswood_hoop

Top 6. Surprised??? on 09:34 - Sep 20 by PinnerPaul

In answer to op, as there are only 3 points between 5th and 17th, my answer is no.

This I feel is the right answer, tighter than hell in this division, nothing unusual then, one thing I am pleased with is MB seems to be getting across how he wants the team to play, like many have said still a way to go but so far very good.

Like new players it takes time for the manager to settle in, after a rocky start seems to have got the majority of players on his wave legnth, the usual only time will tell, but you do need a bit of luck with the injury situation, just maybe he's a 'lucky manager'.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024