Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Legends 12:02 - Oct 13 with 4559 viewsPinnerPaul

The club are now asking fans to vote for their 5 legends to be honoured in the Loft area/concourses.

I went for Francis, Thomas, Marsh, Masson & Gillard.

NB Stan not eligible.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2022 16:44]
Legends on 14:16 - Oct 13 with 1133 viewsdmm

Legends on 14:07 - Oct 13 by QPROslo

Marsh, Francis, Thomas, Les Ferdinand, Adel.

My choices too but it's so difficult to leave out so many wonderful players from our past.
Legends on 14:16 - Oct 13 with 1137 viewshantssi

Legends on 13:37 - Oct 13 by DWQPR

If we are only going with the playing staff then for me it is:

Evelyn Lintott - First England international and sadly gave up his life fighting for his country.
Rodney Marsh - He certainly was the catalyst that put Rangers on the footballing map rather than being a perpetual lower league club.
Mike Keen - The only Rangers captain to ever lift a major trophy
Gerry Francis - Our first England captain
Alan MacDonald - The legend of legends

Pretty much can’t top that 👏🏻
Legends on 14:22 - Oct 13 with 1118 viewsLanhoop

Legends on 13:37 - Oct 13 by DWQPR

If we are only going with the playing staff then for me it is:

Evelyn Lintott - First England international and sadly gave up his life fighting for his country.
Rodney Marsh - He certainly was the catalyst that put Rangers on the footballing map rather than being a perpetual lower league club.
Mike Keen - The only Rangers captain to ever lift a major trophy
Gerry Francis - Our first England captain
Alan MacDonald - The legend of legends

Difficult to disagree with this.
Legends on 14:22 - Oct 13 with 1117 viewsToast_R

The Seaman stand would be pretty funny

I've nominated Ferdinand, Wegerle, Taarabt, Wilkins & Austin.
Legends on 14:23 - Oct 13 with 1111 viewsPlanetHonneywood

First off, you have to define and be clear as to what constitutes a legend.

For me, someone who played well isn't enough of itself. A legend is someone whose contribution left an indelible mark on the club; whether that's positively changing the trajectory of the club or defining its DNA. Bowles being the classic example.

Gerry Francis
Alan McDonald
Terry Venables
Rodney Marsh
Ian Holloway or Adel Taarabt

Can't choose a fifth, struggling with either Ian Holloway - average player, but he gave bloody everything and loved . playing for the Rangers. Many forget how his first stint as manager dug us out of the plop; and Adel Taarabt - and while only in the second tier, arguably the best season any QPR player has had and in my book, the best maverick since Stan himself.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Legends on 14:34 - Oct 13 with 1092 viewsqpr_1968

for me, this is like telling you to save 5 members of your family from a firing squad, too many to choose from.

my 5 favourites over the years, excluding stan....
rodney marsh
david bardsley
sir les
adel taarabt
andy sinton.

but to be fair, and there was life before the 70's....
so...

reg allen
brian bedford
rodney marsh
gerry francis
les ferdinand.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Legends on 14:38 - Oct 13 with 1075 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

The first four were quite easy (Rodney, Gerry, Alan and Les) but I couldn’t really decide on the 5th. I ended up going for someone fresh in the memory. Adel.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Legends on 14:39 - Oct 13 with 1064 viewsLblock

Legends on 13:51 - Oct 13 by ngbqpr

I'd have thought Rodney and Macca would be shoo-ins, it'll get interesting after that.

If we want a nod to the more recent past, eg do you go for Adel or Clint? Such a contrast in pretty much every way, but both modern day legends for me.

Adel was too fleeting really but what he achieved does lift him into that legendary status.

Good shout on Clint Hill... what a man.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Legends on 14:43 - Oct 13 with 1049 viewstexasranger

Difficult one this and a 'modern' fan will obviously be choosing from a limited choice whereas an old geezer like me can go back to the 1940's, Reg Allen, Ivor Powell etc.
However, my five would be;
Ingham, Bedford, Keen, Marsh, Francis.
Legends on 14:48 - Oct 13 with 1028 viewsconnell10

Dave Thomas, Gerry Francis, Led Ferdinand, Alan MacDonald and Rodney Marsh ....job done !

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Legends on 15:00 - Oct 13 with 1002 viewsconnell10

I'd say 3 names keeping popping up from the posts Francis, MacDonald and Marsh. I think Thomas deserves more love , behind Stan he is without doubt my favourite Rangers player! Started my love affair with wide players. England international, thighs like tree trunks ,skilful , fast , played without shin pads and is a bloody lovely person to boot! M, lord I rest my case for the untouchable David Thomas!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Legends on 15:15 - Oct 13 with 973 viewsMrSheen

For his brilliant play…
For the £20,000,000…
For risking jail to eat chips and watch his old mates playing…
Eberechi Eze!!!
Legends on 15:28 - Oct 13 with 938 viewsstevec

Quite difficult this.

Thinking of those that changed the club, Marsh has to be top of the list.
Gerry next for carrying us to the next level and becoming England captain.
Mike Keen, as mentioned for leading us to our one major trophy.
Les for taking us to fifth place in an era when the big clubs and money was becoming dominant.

Fifth is tough, probably should be Holloway for turning round a club heading towards non league and possible extinction.
Legends on 15:31 - Oct 13 with 927 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Legends on 15:00 - Oct 13 by connell10

I'd say 3 names keeping popping up from the posts Francis, MacDonald and Marsh. I think Thomas deserves more love , behind Stan he is without doubt my favourite Rangers player! Started my love affair with wide players. England international, thighs like tree trunks ,skilful , fast , played without shin pads and is a bloody lovely person to boot! M, lord I rest my case for the untouchable David Thomas!!

Can’t say I disagree. He’d definitely be in my top 10 but I couldn’t squeeze him into the 5. I guess Francis and McDonald will be known by multiple generations and Marsh is a club icon like Bowles. If you weren’t around in the 70’s you probably wouldn’t vote for Thomas.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Legends on 15:35 - Oct 13 with 909 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

God, this is difficult. I've just looked at the following players who I didnt have on my original list. And I can't decide!

Wilkins 175 appearances
Maddix 295

I think Maddix has to be in.
Legends on 15:47 - Oct 13 with 889 viewsDavieQPR

Then there's Lee Cook who gave his £250k signing on fee to help keep the club afloat.
Legends on 15:52 - Oct 13 with 878 viewsterryb

I don't expect too many votes for my choices, but three of them have been manager as well as player.

Alec Stock, Gerry Francis, Gordon Jago, Gary Waddock & Ale Faurlin.

Jago was probably not at the club long enough to be a legend, but I couldn't ignore my favourite manager & Rangers team. Waddock possibly because I looked a bit like him & thought he could be my (much younger) brother!
Legends on 16:10 - Oct 13 with 842 viewsStanisgod

Legends on 12:38 - Oct 13 by DavieQPR

Lot depends on your age with regard to who you would choose. I would like to see Tony Ingham and Brian Bedford . Maybe the club should select one from each of the last five decades.

Dont we have a Tony Ingham suite?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Legends on 16:22 - Oct 13 with 822 viewskensalriser

Not easy this, is it!

My starting point has to be that it would be farcical not to include a member of the only team ever to have won a trophy for QPR.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Legends on 16:48 - Oct 13 with 792 viewsizlingtonhoop

Legends on 14:39 - Oct 13 by Lblock

Adel was too fleeting really but what he achieved does lift him into that legendary status.

Good shout on Clint Hill... what a man.

Adel 157 league games.

Rodders 211.

Not too fleeting.

Marsh on absolutely any list of five tho.
Legends on 17:07 - Oct 13 with 766 viewskernowhoop

Kevin Gallen should get a mention somewhere, as a player who - able to control the ball and do something useful with it - gave us hope during some very gloomy years.
Legends on 17:24 - Oct 13 with 748 viewsdannyblue

Wanted Holloway in there because he is a QPR legend. But then he's not a legend as a player, and I read it as playing legends. So he didn't make the cut...
Legends on 17:25 - Oct 13 with 746 viewsHAYESBOY

Marsh
Francis
Gallen
Ferdinand
Mcdonald

Marsh, Francis and Mcdonald definite.

Very difficult. Holloway would be close. Wilkins. Thomas. Clement. Gillard. Waddock. Wilson. Roeder. Fenwick. Barker. Maddix. Sinton. Wegerle. Bannister. Stainrod. Furlong. Impey. Bardsley. Parkes. Byrne. Fereday. Givens.
Impossible really to just pick 5!

Smells like a trout farm in here

Legends on 18:19 - Oct 13 with 691 viewsjoe90

Legends on 16:22 - Oct 13 by kensalriser

Not easy this, is it!

My starting point has to be that it would be farcical not to include a member of the only team ever to have won a trophy for QPR.

Mark Lazarus? Scored the winning goal.
(No subject) (n/t) on 00:41 - Oct 14 with 573 viewsDannyPaddox

Much debate but no firm consensus on the final player. I’m surprised no one has suggested this recent legend. A man who overcame language difficulties, English being not his first, not even his second language. A player whose set pieces from corners and free-kicks would bring gasps from the crowd. A legend not just in football, but also a leading-light in philosophy, politics, and social commentary. A man who overcame dreadful setbacks such as being kidnapped into the French Foreign Legion for a whole season but managing to escape and rejoin the Rs. At least I think that’s what happened. My suggestion for the fifth plinth is Joey …

… okay poor taste. As a penance I will drink one of those foul cans of Coffee-Guinness.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2022 0:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024