Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Signing 15:51 - Feb 6 with 55455 viewsAntti_Heinola

Club just teasing a new signing on twitter...

must be an out of contract player?

Bare bones.

New Signing on 18:39 - Feb 7 with 3541 viewsenfieldargh

Had we signed an out in the wilderness Andy Carroll either this summer or the previous one I'm sure the noise would have been just as loud.

AC has proved to be extremely effective, wish we had got him in last year

Lets give him a chance, we are crying out for a big lump up front

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

New Signing on 18:43 - Feb 7 with 3522 viewsPunteR

New Signing on 10:25 - Feb 7 by daveB

Yeah thats fair, I'm certainly guilty of that

All I'd say is any prospect we have in midfield is likely out playing for someone else, The B team midfield has been Taylor Richards and Johansen recently. I'd play Amos over Tim every week but he's never fit, Johansen has been out for months, Richards has been injured all season so Tim has been one of the few available and playing for us. I don't think we should have signed him in the first place but now he's here he has to play really

What is quite comical really is that if Tim came through the QPR academy he'd have played 100 games in the lower leagues before playing for us rather than first team regular at 19

You have to be very brave as a club to stick to this development stuff because you are not going to be near the playoffs doing it and thats where as a club we are so confused, we say one thing but lose a few games and we do something else.

That's the football food chain isn't it?
Our youngsters go to league 1 or 2 and Aston Villas go to Championship.
This is the problem isn't it, that our pool of young players that we get to sign are considerably worse than a club like Villa. I've no idea why that is, money? club status? location?, scouting?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

New Signing on 18:46 - Feb 7 with 3504 viewsaston_hoop

New Signing on 18:43 - Feb 7 by PunteR

This is the problem isn't it, that our pool of young players that we get to sign are considerably worse than a club like Villa. I've no idea why that is, money? club status? location?, scouting?

In the case of Tim, its money. He came through at WBA and Villa paid for him. In fact Villa have been nicking most of WBA's best youngsters for a few years now, big bone of contention up there.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

New Signing on 19:29 - Feb 7 with 3303 viewsPunteR

New Signing on 14:20 - Feb 7 by TK1

I find the hysteria about *everything* a bit nuts at the moment. Drama Queens Park Rangers, indeed. I know we had a great season in 2011-12 - but which of the other 25 past years are we basing the outrage on? The year we got promoted breaking FFP? We’re slightly outperforming our budget, massively underperforming our dreams. So what? It’s better than any season in the ‘00s, other than the ones in the league below.

I really can’t understand the pathway thing on this thread. The pathway to the first team for young players hasn't been clearer for decades as far as I can tell. We have several former U23s in the first team, all of whom have value. We had perhaps two between 1998 and 2018. I hardly think it requires mass beheadings in the close-season. We have several players in the B team and U18s with potential. Young players who don't make it at Rangers but make it elsewhere is a massive improvement on previous decades too, making signing even better young talent easier. Feels to me that it’s moving in the right direction, but maybe I am a hopeless romantic.

Chris Martin is a short term big lump centre forward cover signing in the grand QPR tradition of Gary Thompson, Devon White, Iain Dowie, Colin Clarke, even Paul Furlong (who was the same age). It doesn't affect anything long term other than the ability to give Dykes time to recover and QPR the chance to perhaps sometimes win a few headers in the opposition box.

I think "hysteria" is a wrong choice of word. On this site anyway. Some pretty balanced views on both sides of the argument.
I understand your point that QPR have always been a bit shit and badly managed in the past but that doesn't excuse it happening now.
I think what makes it so frustrating atm is the opportunities we've missed and to get our house in order bearing in mind our fairly recent visits to the premier league that most football clubs can only dream of. We have multi billionaire owners that pay the bills and are in a position to build a new training ground and improve the academy. On the surface We're kind of doing the right things but really it doesnt take much to pick under the skin to reveal the lumps in the custard.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

New Signing on 19:45 - Feb 7 with 3242 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I find the hysteria about *everything* a bit nuts at the moment. Drama Queens Park Rangers, indeed. I know we had a great season in 2011-12 - but which of the other 25 past years are we basing the outrage on? The year we got promoted breaking FFP? We’re slightly outperforming our budget, massively underperforming our dreams. So what? It’s better than any season in the ‘00s, other than the ones in the league below.

I really can’t understand the pathway thing on this thread. The pathway to the first team for young players hasn't been clearer for decades as far as I can tell. We have several former U23s in the first team, all of whom have value. We had perhaps two between 1998 and 2018. I hardly think it requires mass beheadings in the close-season. We have several players in the B team and U18s with potential. Young players who don't make it at Rangers but make it elsewhere is a massive improvement on previous decades too, making signing even better young talent easier. Feels to me that it’s moving in the right direction, but maybe I am a hopeless romantic.

Chris Martin is a short term big lump centre forward cover signing in the grand QPR tradition of Gary Thompson, Devon White, Iain Dowie, Colin Clarke, even Paul Furlong (who was the same age). It doesn't affect anything long term other than the ability to give Dykes time to recover and QPR the chance to perhaps sometimes win a few headers in the opposition box.

I missed this first time round.

Excellent post.
New Signing on 19:51 - Feb 7 with 3219 viewsderbyhoop

New Signing on 18:43 - Feb 7 by PunteR

Money would be part of it.
Cat 1 academies can nick players from Cat 2, under EPPP. Apparently we've lost 13 players that way over the last 6_10 years.
Location. Crap facilities with 1st team at Harlington and younger teams all over the place. Heston will be a significant improvement in terms of facilities and integration.
Scouting has improved, but from a low base. Scouts might find promising players but if every other club in the area has better facilities, then turning a scouted player into a true academy prospect is going to be difficult.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

New Signing on 19:57 - Feb 7 with 3172 viewspaulparker

New Signing on 18:39 - Feb 7 by enfieldargh

Had we signed an out in the wilderness Andy Carroll either this summer or the previous one I'm sure the noise would have been just as loud.

AC has proved to be extremely effective, wish we had got him in last year

Lets give him a chance, we are crying out for a big lump up front

No dig at you but I find it funny that the majority on here didn’t want Ainsworth as he was Mr Hoofball but are quite happy with a has been 35 year old so we can have a big lump at front to hit it long and get in people’s faces

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

New Signing on 20:01 - Feb 7 with 3157 viewsDavieQPR

The best thing about signing Martin is the speed that the same old moaners come out and blame everyone. Some just can't wait to slag the club off over all and sundry. Could at least wait until he has kicked a ball then form an opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

New Signing on 20:37 - Feb 7 with 3020 viewsenfieldargh

New Signing on 19:57 - Feb 7 by paulparker

No dig at you but I find it funny that the majority on here didn’t want Ainsworth as he was Mr Hoofball but are quite happy with a has been 35 year old so we can have a big lump at front to hit it long and get in people’s faces

I'm not into hoof ball at all, but its the out ball the centre backs seem to resort to after the crabing along the back four gets pushed further back. As when they do lump it forward its totally pointless if theres no bugger able to get anywhere near it.

I would rather see us make progress from defence to midfield out wide etc than hoof ball but we have been playing hoof ball for much of the season.

Also no big lump up front to get on the end of crosses that sometimes find their way into dangerzones in opps box.

Yes we do need a big stricker, Man U went for Burnley cast off Weghorst, weve gone for Martin

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

New Signing on 21:33 - Feb 7 with 2826 viewsplasmahoop

New Signing on 12:16 - Feb 7 by stanistheman

What did Ferdinand do to save QPR from relegation and possible extinction?

I think you give him far too much credit.

We had plenty of overpaid players but most left after being paid off (using up the parachute payments), or ran down their contracts.

He sold Austin for £4m after turning down offers of around £10-12m in the summer.

He sold Fer, Granero and Phillips for fairly small fees.

As for saving us from relegation, his appointment of Ramsey to keep QPR in the Premiership failed and then appointed and sacked him the next season.

He appointed JFH instead of Warnock then sacked him and Holloway was appointed and QPR just about stayed up.

In 8 seasons in this division we have not made the playoffs (I’m including this one as I think that ship has now sailed).

Our squad is unbalanced and our young players clearly not 1st team quality in this division ( they are hardly shining out on loan. Alfie Lloyd is doing well, but that is in the National League.

How many of the players have we sold for profit under his watch . I can think of Eze, Freeman and Smithies.

This is failure as far as I am concerned.

Fer was absolute gash. Phillips was mediocre at times. I can't hardly remember granero. You can only sell players for what people are prepared to pay. And if they've been gash who is going to pay top whack
New Signing on 22:17 - Feb 7 with 2658 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 14:49 - Feb 7 by daveB

quite probable, I'm just a bit fed up with us signing players who spend most of their time at QPR playing for someone else whilst we spend money borrowing players from elsewhere. It's all a bit mad

And who is the one with overall responsibility for the players signed by this club,?
New Signing on 22:26 - Feb 7 with 2637 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 15:03 - Feb 7 by LongsufferingR

Without getting into a pro/anti LF debate, some of your "facts" need correcting:

We didn't turn down £12m for Charlie Austin, he didn't want to go to Leicester, which he probably looks at with more embarrassed hindsight than we should seeing as they won the PL the following season.

Sunderland (A) was Ramsey's first game in charge, he wasn't appointed after it.

Wolves didn't give their job to Darren Moore, it was Terry Connor.

Also none of us knows whether he was advising replacing Redknapp or not, so you can't possibly state as fact that he wasn't.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 15:21]

I stand corrected on Darren Moore as. yes, it was Terry Connor- ,but you are wrong about Ramsey not bring caretaker manager for the Southampton match.

Ferdinand was appointed as an advisor and that is fact. Redknapp was coming under pressure from fans and in order to try an appease fans Fernandes brought in a crowd favourite to calm us down. I personally rue that day.

What he advised or didn't is not known. However, whatever he advised, the club stuck by Redknapp when he should have been sacked, didn't spend any money to try and climb away from relegation. Either way, I don't think his advising worked and we are now reaping what was sowed.

[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 22:36]
New Signing on 22:37 - Feb 7 with 2596 viewsterryb

New Signing on 22:17 - Feb 7 by stanistheman

And who is the one with overall responsibility for the players signed by this club,?

Ferdinand was appointed DoF in February 2015 which was after Harold had signed all the players you refer to.

It was also Fernandes that decided on appointing Ramsey as manager (one of the many that he described as his dream manager) & not LF.

I'm sure there are many things that he has done wrong, but he's not guilty of these two crimes.
New Signing on 22:48 - Feb 7 with 2555 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 16:21 - Feb 7 by QPR_Jim

The idea that he should have spent more money to stop us being relegated is laughable. Last time we were in that position we spent a fortune on Samba and Remy and ended up in the championship with a record sporting fine. So not sure doing the same would have done much better second time around.

Wrong.

We were bottom of the league and about 8 points adrift when we spent money on Samba and Remy in 2013.
In 2015 we were swapping 17th and 18th place with Burnley s d just a few points away from a few other clubs . so spending money would not have necessarily been a waste. And given how much more money the following season's TV deal was worth i believe a risk worth taking.
New Signing on 22:50 - Feb 7 with 2549 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Good post

This message board has always been Drama Queens Park Rangers.
Frequent bouts of depression and hysteria with brief periods of calm.
Little love of football in the wider sense.
New Signing on 23:08 - Feb 7 with 2481 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 22:37 - Feb 7 by terryb

Ferdinand was appointed DoF in February 2015 which was after Harold had signed all the players you refer to.

It was also Fernandes that decided on appointing Ramsey as manager (one of the many that he described as his dream manager) & not LF.

I'm sure there are many things that he has done wrong, but he's not guilty of these two crimes.

Ferdinand said: "I’ve been liaising closely with the Board over the last week or so regarding the position and it became apparent that Chris is the best man for the job at this time.

"He will have a huge part to play in the long-term future of this club at all levels, and we are confident that Chris, supported by the backroom staff, will be able to deliver our goal of Premier League survival."

Rangers are outside the Premier League's bottom three on goal difference only and go to Hull - one place and one point above - in their next game on February 21.

As the Chairman, Fernandes issued the press release from which the above came from. In it he said he appointed Ramsey's, but it seems clear that Ferdinand was all over this.

Also in response to those who think it laughable that I suggest spending money would have been the right thing to do , take note that before the Hull defeat we were out of the bottom 3 and a win would have taken us above Hull and within reach of other clubs like Sunderland WBA.

[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 23:19]
New Signing on 23:16 - Feb 7 with 2462 viewsLongsufferingR

Not sure why this signing makes you think all of a sudden we will be playing "hoofball" overnight. That's not how his previous teams used him. I remember him as a pain in the arse, a handful for defenders, and a winner of free kicks and penalties by fair means or foul. The fact that he also missed a number of those penalties is another matter, so while it's far from an inspirational signing, it doesn't necessarily mean a change of tactics.
New Signing on 23:28 - Feb 7 with 2429 viewsBrianMcCarthy

New Signing on 23:16 - Feb 7 by LongsufferingR

Not sure why this signing makes you think all of a sudden we will be playing "hoofball" overnight. That's not how his previous teams used him. I remember him as a pain in the arse, a handful for defenders, and a winner of free kicks and penalties by fair means or foul. The fact that he also missed a number of those penalties is another matter, so while it's far from an inspirational signing, it doesn't necessarily mean a change of tactics.

I have to say I share Paul's wariness about our style of play, with or without Martin.

I'm one of those who dislikes watching Ainsworth's football, and I'm also cautious about Critchley's. Time will tell.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New Signing on 23:28 - Feb 7 with 2429 viewsstanistheman

New Signing on 23:16 - Feb 7 by LongsufferingR

I agree. I don't think this is a bad signing, especially if he can play as he did last season.

He can use his feet better than Dykes can so there is no need to hit high long balls to him. If we can get crosses into the box from the full backs or wide players his height and heading ability should be useful.

But also he can tie up the CBs and this will allow Lowe, Willock, Chair or whoever is up in attack to make the most of any free space.

Hopefully he will get off to a good start.
New Signing on 00:07 - Feb 8 with 2355 viewsBurnleyhoop

Martin may well be old, fat and have an arse the size of a small planet, but I suspect his ball control, positional sense and finishing ability is far superior to that of Dykes.

To be honest, I’m almost looking forward to seeing what he can add to our game, as it won’t take much to improve on what we have been enduring of late.
New Signing on 02:18 - Feb 8 with 2221 viewsFredManRave

New Signing on 20:01 - Feb 7 by DavieQPR

The best thing about signing Martin is the speed that the same old moaners come out and blame everyone. Some just can't wait to slag the club off over all and sundry. Could at least wait until he has kicked a ball then form an opinion.

No offence meant Davie but, imo, your post is completely missing the point.

I would suggest that, despite the, quite honestly, weird opinion that some fans seem to have on here of believing that other fans hope that we do badly, so they can remonstrate and complain, etc that is not actually the case. Even writing that seems weird. Difference of opinion, ideals, process, etc, maybe but end goal will always be the same for any true QPR fan.

We ALL want what is best for QPR and for us to be successful, even though it's understandable that we have our own differing opinions of "the best" and "successful".

Getting to my main point, ALL the "nay sayers" as some might call them, ALL want CM to do well, play a blinder on Saturday, score the winning goal and finish the season as top scorer.

The angst is not against the player, it's against the fact that we're in a position where we have to sign him.

I think the main issue for most is that we've now been with our current "set up" for over 7 years now!

And where are we? Where is the consistent improvement over time? What have we improved and what consistency in our philosophy have we maintained?

Can anybody really see the clear path that is being maintained within the club that no matter who the manager is they will have to tow the clearly defined line of our recruitment and development policies and won't be allowed to make their own decisions or calls as that would be an exit from the clearly laid out plan that has been set up with a view to steady progression for the last 7 years!

There's not one QPR fan on here that doesn't want us to win on Saturday and have CM score the winning goal off his arse.

But there are many, many fans that are not seeing the progession and devlopment that would be expected after 7 years of a stable hierachy and with all the promises that were made at the very start and they're within their rights to voice those frustrations, quite understandably.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2023 2:20]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

New Signing on 04:41 - Feb 8 with 2143 viewsLblock

New Signing on 02:18 - Feb 8 by FredManRave

I would suggest that, despite the, quite honestly, weird opinion that some fans seem to have on here of believing that other fans hope that we do badly, so they can remonstrate and complain, etc that is not actually the case. Even writing that seems weird. Difference of opinion, ideals, process, etc, maybe but end goal will always be the same for any true QPR fan.

We ALL want what is best for QPR and for us to be successful, even though it's understandable that we have our own differing opinions of "the best" and "successful".

Getting to my main point, ALL the "nay sayers" as some might call them, ALL want CM to do well, play a blinder on Saturday, score the winning goal and finish the season as top scorer.

The angst is not against the player, it's against the fact that we're in a position where we have to sign him.

I think the main issue for most is that we've now been with our current "set up" for over 7 years now!

And where are we? Where is the consistent improvement over time? What have we improved and what consistency in our philosophy have we maintained?

Can anybody really see the clear path that is being maintained within the club that no matter who the manager is they will have to tow the clearly defined line of our recruitment and development policies and won't be allowed to make their own decisions or calls as that would be an exit from the clearly laid out plan that has been set up with a view to steady progression for the last 7 years!

There's not one QPR fan on here that doesn't want us to win on Saturday and have CM score the winning goal off his arse.

But there are many, many fans that are not seeing the progession and devlopment that would be expected after 7 years of a stable hierachy and with all the promises that were made at the very start and they're within their rights to voice those frustrations, quite understandably.

Extremely well put and sums it up for me in a nutshell

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

New Signing on 06:26 - Feb 8 with 2059 viewsHunterhoop

New Signing on 02:18 - Feb 8 by FredManRave

Top post. I support the publicly voiced strategy of buy low sell high, signing players based on data not managers’ whims, having a club ethos around style, develop talent either signed at 15/16 after braving let go by others’ youth set ups or through our own academy, and, most importantly, operate within FFP.

I agree with all that stuff that Hoos and Ferdinand continually spout. I do think they have failed to verbalise and sell a vision that excites and gets more of the fanbase on board (as opposed to just explaining the challenges) but I agree with their strategy.

That’s what makes this signing frustrating. It is simply not part of the strategy. We should not have to resort to this. They’re not acting how they told us they would, and needed to.

I hope Martin is a roaring success, like Paul Furlong, one of my favourite ever players.

I am just getting frustrated at how much we’re pandering to managers and making these short term decisions that go against the supposed strategy: Warburton’s last year (extending Wallace, signing Gray, pushing the boat out on players, Hendrick!, etc), Beale being able to sign a load of his men (Balogun, JCS) and bring in an army of loanees (like under McClaren) who have broadly underperformed, and now signing a 34 yr old released by a team well below us in the league only a couple of months ago.

We’re being told one thing, which I agree with, only to act completely differently. We’re told it is all about the big picture, long term development of the club, and then we make blindingly obvious short term decisions that clearly undermine the supposed strategy.

My problem is not the DOF model, my issue is we’re not following the DOF/Data Analytics model religiously enough. As soon as we have a wobble we waste money on a short term signing. Martin’s money could have been saved and help us capture a lower league talent in the summer, whilst we give more development time to Armstrong. We shouldn’t go down with the squad we have even without Dykes given the points total we’re on, so use the time wisely and build up a small pot to go get a long term target in the summer.

We are just inconsistent in approach. That permeates through the club and onto the pitch.
New Signing on 07:06 - Feb 8 with 1968 viewsdistortR

New Signing on 06:26 - Feb 8 by Hunterhoop

Top post. I support the publicly voiced strategy of buy low sell high, signing players based on data not managers’ whims, having a club ethos around style, develop talent either signed at 15/16 after braving let go by others’ youth set ups or through our own academy, and, most importantly, operate within FFP.

I agree with all that stuff that Hoos and Ferdinand continually spout. I do think they have failed to verbalise and sell a vision that excites and gets more of the fanbase on board (as opposed to just explaining the challenges) but I agree with their strategy.

That’s what makes this signing frustrating. It is simply not part of the strategy. We should not have to resort to this. They’re not acting how they told us they would, and needed to.

I hope Martin is a roaring success, like Paul Furlong, one of my favourite ever players.

I am just getting frustrated at how much we’re pandering to managers and making these short term decisions that go against the supposed strategy: Warburton’s last year (extending Wallace, signing Gray, pushing the boat out on players, Hendrick!, etc), Beale being able to sign a load of his men (Balogun, JCS) and bring in an army of loanees (like under McClaren) who have broadly underperformed, and now signing a 34 yr old released by a team well below us in the league only a couple of months ago.

We’re being told one thing, which I agree with, only to act completely differently. We’re told it is all about the big picture, long term development of the club, and then we make blindingly obvious short term decisions that clearly undermine the supposed strategy.

My problem is not the DOF model, my issue is we’re not following the DOF/Data Analytics model religiously enough. As soon as we have a wobble we waste money on a short term signing. Martin’s money could have been saved and help us capture a lower league talent in the summer, whilst we give more development time to Armstrong. We shouldn’t go down with the squad we have even without Dykes given the points total we’re on, so use the time wisely and build up a small pot to go get a long term target in the summer.

We are just inconsistent in approach. That permeates through the club and onto the pitch.

I agree with that there is a gap between what we say and do (The road to Hull was paved with good intentions, and all that). I also think we needed to get a striker, I don't think it would be productive or fair to put everything on Armstrong's shoulders at this stage, but I do hope to see him used a lot more regularly now. What I can't accept is the need to make an emergency signing because 1 player is injured, that's not bad luck, it's bad management.
New Signing on 07:59 - Feb 8 with 1829 viewsTK1

No idea if it'll work or not, but Chris Martin scored more goals in the Championship last season than any of our players, as well as contributing more assists than Dykes, Austin and Gray combined, for a team who were statistically worse than QPR. So 'has-been' is a moot. And he's 34.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024