Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong 17:50 - Feb 11 with 8054 viewsWestonsuperR

I didn’t go today or watch a stream. How did Armstrong do, any signs that he is Championship standard or does he need game time at a lower level?
Armstrong on 19:13 - Feb 11 with 2448 viewspaulparker

Apart from Dieng & Dunne he was the only one who seemed up for the fight , he was the one shoulder charging Cooper and Creswell , he was the one who wouldn’t back down or hide
The lad was immense and put the majority of our squad to shame with his guts

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Armstrong on 19:14 - Feb 11 with 2438 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 18:02 - Feb 11 by Antti_Heinola

Weird how?

What Connell said, eccentric.

It’s not a negative I love it. Running to the Khazi randomly after going down with a sore eye then flying back out without the ref or fourth official seeing.

Today was the first time I really saw him play freely and to his strengths. He was probably the only positive of the day. I genuinely think he’s got a future.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 19:18]
Armstrong on 19:18 - Feb 11 with 2402 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

You could see that the game plan was to get the ball into him early on the counter so that he could go 1 on 1 with centre back. Next season, and with everyone in form I think he could be devastating at this level. At the moment though he still has loads to learn, but to do that he has to play as often as possible.
More importantly we, as supporters, need to support him.
Armstrong on 19:19 - Feb 11 with 2398 viewsolderR

Armstrong on 18:16 - Feb 11 by VancouverHoop

Yeah, given his age and frame, 'growing pains' may still be a thing. Batting the ball out of the air was pretty dumb though. It's unnecessary card and one that the ref can't ignore.

I thought he wanted to go off due to embarrassment at his hand of god attempt.
Armstrong on 19:21 - Feb 11 with 2375 viewsAntti_Heinola

Armstrong on 19:14 - Feb 11 by BazzaInTheLoft

What Connell said, eccentric.

It’s not a negative I love it. Running to the Khazi randomly after going down with a sore eye then flying back out without the ref or fourth official seeing.

Today was the first time I really saw him play freely and to his strengths. He was probably the only positive of the day. I genuinely think he’s got a future.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 19:18]

He lost his contact lens, but ok, see what you mean!

Bare bones.

Armstrong on 19:30 - Feb 11 with 2314 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Armstrong on 19:21 - Feb 11 by Antti_Heinola

He lost his contact lens, but ok, see what you mean!

Either way it was theatrical.
Armstrong on 19:59 - Feb 11 with 2238 viewsconnell10

Armstrong on 18:58 - Feb 11 by bollockchops

not long ago you were Boris Johnsons greatest supporter so anything that comes out of your gob i will take as a load of cat crap

I always thought it was clap trap I could be wrong js

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Armstrong on 01:12 - Feb 12 with 2017 viewsqpr1976

Armstrong on 19:02 - Feb 11 by traininvain

Funny as I’ve never voted for Johnson in my life but I do try to keep an open mind and look at things from other perspectives.

Anyway your earlier input to this thread suggests that your username is apt so I’ll leave it here and wish you a good evening, Bollockchops.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2023 19:03]

TBF, no one outside of his party voted him in…..
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong on 01:15 - Feb 12 with 2014 viewsqpr1976

Armstrong on 19:19 - Feb 11 by olderR

I thought he wanted to go off due to embarrassment at his hand of god attempt.

Yet fans Loved it when Stan did it (albeit he scored, before being chalked off) !
Armstrong on 02:42 - Feb 12 with 1958 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Armstrong on 18:20 - Feb 11 by BrianWilson

Hyper! Decent Hand of God effort

Like I said on the Willock thread that hand of God effort really fuc*ed us IMO.
Once Willock had to be called into action without warming up everything went to hell.
Now CW could be out long term again with his hamstring and Armstrong himself could have pulled something.
If the Management team know Armstrong has only 60 minutes in him why in Gods name did our subs warm up and be on standby .
Love Armstrong but feel that Martin should have started beat up those Millwall giants a bit then bring him on to do chaos and win a penalty or score maybe
Now who knows what happens Tuesday
Armstrong on 06:32 - Feb 12 with 1873 viewsDixie_CT

Armstrong on 02:42 - Feb 12 by CLAREMAN1995

Once Willock had to be called into action without warming up everything went to hell.
Now CW could be out long term again with his hamstring and Armstrong himself could have pulled something.
If the Management team know Armstrong has only 60 minutes in him why in Gods name did our subs warm up and be on standby .
Love Armstrong but feel that Martin should have started beat up those Millwall giants a bit then bring him on to do chaos and win a penalty or score maybe

I agree about the handball. Daft, obvious, and embarrassing. Such a shame because Armstrong had played well up until his brain fart.

No excuse for the subs not being warmed up. I glanced over a few times from the Loft to the paddocks and saw Millwall players out there but not many of ours, only Albert when it was obvious that Willock was unable to continue. I’m not sure why.

Our mental fragility is as plain as the nose on your face. It’s like the whole team has PTSD since Wolves wanting Beale became public. The fact we are only now bringing in a psychologist is so reactionary and it pretty much sums up the whole lack of forward planning.
Armstrong on 07:05 - Feb 12 with 1849 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Armstrong on 06:32 - Feb 12 by Dixie_CT

I agree about the handball. Daft, obvious, and embarrassing. Such a shame because Armstrong had played well up until his brain fart.

No excuse for the subs not being warmed up. I glanced over a few times from the Loft to the paddocks and saw Millwall players out there but not many of ours, only Albert when it was obvious that Willock was unable to continue. I’m not sure why.

Our mental fragility is as plain as the nose on your face. It’s like the whole team has PTSD since Wolves wanting Beale became public. The fact we are only now bringing in a psychologist is so reactionary and it pretty much sums up the whole lack of forward planning.

If this bunch of players need a psychologist every time a manager departs, then they ain't going to have much of a career! In fact, their agents might be better off sounding out Shenley Old Boys F. C. or Broadmoor Staff F.C. in the summer.

It's part and parcel of football: managers and players come and go, professionals get on with it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Armstrong on 07:12 - Feb 12 with 1826 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Armstrong on 07:05 - Feb 12 by PlanetHonneywood

If this bunch of players need a psychologist every time a manager departs, then they ain't going to have much of a career! In fact, their agents might be better off sounding out Shenley Old Boys F. C. or Broadmoor Staff F.C. in the summer.

It's part and parcel of football: managers and players come and go, professionals get on with it.

I was having this conversation with distortR.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the athletes that I know tend to be resilient and singular to the point of even appearing callous. They can be effected by losses in their own form and confidence, but rarely about events outside their control. They have to be like this. Best mate dropped? Another one injured? Manager sacked? They soon forget. It's always about refocussing, controlling what they can control and always about moving on.

That being said, on a general note, I like the use of a sports psychologist/performance coach at any time. Really helpful addition, I always think. Just not sure our players should be so greviously wounded by Beale's lack of ethics.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2023 7:18]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Armstrong on 08:04 - Feb 12 with 1748 viewsQPROslo

Armstrong on 02:42 - Feb 12 by CLAREMAN1995

Especially fuc*ed us up because Chair looked free behind him when he stuck his hand up, but then Chair would have blown the chance anyway on current form. I didn't see Willock warming up but the QPR + guys said he was shortly before he came on.
Armstrong on 08:18 - Feb 12 with 1722 viewsPhilothesuperhoop

I thought he was superb. He pace and strength changes the way we can play.

I also loved his passion, and his desire. The way he sprinted off to sort his contact lens and get straight back on shows a contagious enthusiasm.

However I can buy the argument about inexperience in football decision making, but not this nonsense that he can’t play 90 minutes because he is young! Not only is something wrong there, but there is something wrong with our medical team too as we’ve been talking about this for six months now. Any specific training programme would have had effect by now so clearly there hasn’t been one.

I’ve run youth football teams…. Kids of that age can run around for 180 minutes not 60!
Armstrong on 08:22 - Feb 12 with 1718 viewsEsox_Lucius

Armstrong on 18:04 - Feb 11 by stevec

True but such severe cramp that early at his age. I don’t get it.

He got whacked twice early on in his calf/ lower leg and I would hazard that had lot to do with it.

The grass is always greener.

Armstrong on 08:37 - Feb 12 with 1665 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Armstrong on 08:18 - Feb 12 by Philothesuperhoop

I thought he was superb. He pace and strength changes the way we can play.

I also loved his passion, and his desire. The way he sprinted off to sort his contact lens and get straight back on shows a contagious enthusiasm.

However I can buy the argument about inexperience in football decision making, but not this nonsense that he can’t play 90 minutes because he is young! Not only is something wrong there, but there is something wrong with our medical team too as we’ve been talking about this for six months now. Any specific training programme would have had effect by now so clearly there hasn’t been one.

I’ve run youth football teams…. Kids of that age can run around for 180 minutes not 60!

Not sure you can compare running youth teams to a 19 year old making the transition from youth to professional men's football. He is a unit so not surprised he is cramping up, they will look at his stats and then adjust his diet etc to help. I think there is a little more to it then expecting him to be able to run around a lot, which he did.

A lot of players, Gerrard being a good example, struggle physically when making the transition. With Gerrard it was his back problems, which was diagnosed as problems with his hamstrings being to tight. It took the Liverpool medical team, and I imagine various external medical professionals, 2 or 3 seasons to finally solve the problem.
Armstrong on 11:34 - Feb 12 with 1471 viewsQPunkR

Armstrong was immense, infectious. Our best player by a country mile yesterday - pretty much all of our senior pros should hang their heads that they can't find it within themselves to mirror his enthusiasm. I love how many Wawll defenders he killed to death

QPR - "shit but local"

Armstrong on 13:46 - Feb 12 with 1376 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Armstrong on 11:34 - Feb 12 by QPunkR

Armstrong was immense, infectious. Our best player by a country mile yesterday - pretty much all of our senior pros should hang their heads that they can't find it within themselves to mirror his enthusiasm. I love how many Wawll defenders he killed to death

Great post but the down side to his play is the amount of punishment he takes sometimes late and always on the sneaky blindside from defenders.
All the more reason for Martin to whack a few of those big boys early then unleash Armstrong but NC did the opposite.
Everybody knows Armstrong cannot shoot for sh*t but will cause chaos and if defenders are on yellows they have to let him run by.
Hope its just cramp and they both can play against Sunderland because we need that win.
Speaking of Sunderland I rooted for Honeyman in that Netflix Doc but he is some wan*er now .
Armstrong on 15:57 - Feb 12 with 1254 viewsPinnerPaul

Armstrong on 17:52 - Feb 11 by Antti_Heinola

Best 45 i’ve seen from him and we have to use him more now for sure. Never threatened to score, but he got the crowd going and it was nice to see some pace for once.

Fair summary.

I suppose the key is which way round for him and Martin
- 1st 60' and last 30' - which in reality is last 35'.

Worked OKish on Saturday so stick with that or reverse - not an easy one?
Armstrong on 16:00 - Feb 12 with 1244 viewsPinnerPaul

Armstrong on 17:56 - Feb 11 by qpr_1968

HE WAS SUPERB...

I do think we need to learn our lesson with reactions like that.

"Superb' is at least scoring or having an effort surely - not digging the bloke out, but with Willock and Dickie we can see how quickly things can change so don't think it does us or him any good to overreact to a decent hardworking hour - but that's all it was IMHO.

Its all opinions in the end though!
Armstrong on 16:04 - Feb 12 with 1235 viewsPinnerPaul

Armstrong on 18:09 - Feb 11 by Antti_Heinola

Well i’m not a physiotherapist so no idea, but large athletes often struggle early on. Flintoff was like that, Gerrard in his early days, even Les to some degree. Not sure how you know the physio didn’t believe it? Believe what?

Agree.

I see players who are 40 years younger than me get cramp all the time at my matches - always makes me smile!

Its the time we're in I guess, but in what world does he make believe he has cramp and for what benefit?!
Armstrong on 16:05 - Feb 12 with 1235 viewsPinnerPaul

Armstrong on 18:14 - Feb 11 by connell10

He reminds me of a silent movie actor, totally over the top reactions to anything he does! It's quite entertaining!!

Shouldn't say this but Millwall fans did make me smile when they sang "He's going to cry in a minute, cry in a minute" - I've seen a photo of him laughing at that himself!
Armstrong on 18:42 - Feb 12 with 1152 viewsbosh67

I think if he can get a goal somehow he’ll be flying. Just needs that goal.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong on 09:41 - Feb 13 with 882 viewsfrancisbowles

Armstrong on 07:05 - Feb 12 by PlanetHonneywood

Well that's kind of doing nothing and hoping the situation sorts itself out. Whatever we may think of their fragility, the reality is there is a real problem and we need to try and find a solution. Bringing in a psychologist is a method of attempting to improve the situation.

It has worked for us in the past.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2023 9:42]
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024