Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone been to Venice ? 23:04 - Mar 7 with 5091 viewswombat

Heading off their end of the month for a few days , apart from taking deep pockets anything else worth seeing when I’m there .

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:08 - Mar 7 with 3804 viewsBluce_Ree

Try not to look at any videos of the place. When you fired approach by boat, it looks so amazing that you want to see it with your own eyes first.

In terms of stuff to do, it's all galleries and museums. Stay away from the gondolas. Overpriced bullshit.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:19 - Mar 7 with 3757 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:08 - Mar 7 by Bluce_Ree

Try not to look at any videos of the place. When you fired approach by boat, it looks so amazing that you want to see it with your own eyes first.

In terms of stuff to do, it's all galleries and museums. Stay away from the gondolas. Overpriced bullshit.

Agree with all of that, Bluce.

I went at this time of year and loved it. Not at it's busiest and the water didn't smell as it's said to in the heat of Summer.

The buildings are incredible.
Allow plenty of time for just strolling, especially in the mornings and at night.
Try and take in a trip to La Fenice, just to see it, even if you only last a while it's worth it. We stayed in the Hotel attached to it, La Fenice Des Artistes, a quaint but elegant old pile. I don't think I had one decent memorable meal there, maybe others have ideas on that score.
Take loads of boat trips, but maybe not the gondolas.
Take a game in, I wish I had. The stadium looks amazing.
Visit every church and museum you can fit in. The vibes, frescos, sculptures and paintings are staggering.
Enjoy!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:53 - Mar 7 with 3700 viewsSydneyRs

Went a long time ago but I'm sure its much the same. A simply stunning place unlike anywhere else I've been. Loved it.

A tip money wise that we worked out is to walk over to the other side of the main canal from where the touristy stuff like St Mark's square is. There you will find much better value in terms of food, drink etc and less crowds.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:54 - Mar 7 with 3697 viewsSydneyRs

Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:08 - Mar 7 by Bluce_Ree

They were charging 40 quid for gondola rides even when we went in the 90s, heaven knows what the price is now.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 23:55 - Mar 7 with 3692 viewsDannyPaddox

I’ve been once in early Spring and once in mid-Winter. Both times not so overcrowded with tourists. It’s a magical place. You don’t need to visit many or any of the museums and galleries as the town itself is a living museum. Just wander around the narrow streets, alleys, and piazzas. Avoid the gondolas and use the public transport. There’s a boat which is the equivalent of a night-bus, it does a circuit of the main island. It was called something like Il Corsa. We either got the first one or the last one. About 04.00 in the morning. Wrap up warm (take a hip flask) and for a few pennies (or euros) you’ll see this amazing Island-city in the atmospheric silence of dark morning. Just the thrum of the boat’s engine and the lapping of the bow waves. It lasted the best of part of an hour, or maybe longer. It’s been a while (20 years) since I’ve visited. Hopefully the service is still running. Also, and this is important, avoid dwarves in red raincoats.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 00:04 - Mar 8 with 3683 viewsdannyblue

I went in early June last year. If you like food and wine...

I really enjoyed the stretch on the Fondamenta de la misericordia. Go to lots of places and have cichetti and a glass of wine in each one. I particularly liked Paradiso Perduto but there are lots of good places on that stretch. Decent value too - at least compared to the real tourist traps. Spending an early evening doing that is a great joy.

Otherwise just stroll around, get lost, stick your head through doors, try things out. Have a great time.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 01:02 - Mar 8 with 3631 viewscharmr

Get off the main drag and get lost, great advice.

Take a trip out into the bay and see the place from the water.

The day after you leave the world will seem very grey in comparison.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 02:21 - Mar 8 with 3594 viewsB_Wad

Agree with a lot of what's been said.. Being on a boat, even the public transit water bus, at sunset can create some nice memories. Wander the back roads and soak in the local flavor as others have suggested.

Catching a boat to Burano and Murano was something I enjoyed. You get out on the lagoon and Burano has a charming character with colorful buildings and is not a bad place for lunch.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone been to Venice ? on 06:44 - Mar 8 with 3475 viewskernowhoop

Mrs Kernowhoop and I have been five times and love it.
The music in the Piazza San Marco (e.g. Florian's) is free to listen to of course, but sitting at a cafe table to enjoy it is very expensive. Be prepared for possibly the most expensive espresso you have drunk.
If you have time and you have seen the main sights, try to walk some of the routes off the beaten track, away from the tourists.
If you can, then stay somewhere fairly central. Then you can enjoy the city before the hordes arrive from far and wide, mid to late morning.
If you do stay somewhere central, get up and have a stroll around the city before breakfast and watch Venice coming to life - truly magical.
Watch other people having gondola rides.
Get a pass for the water buses.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 07:39 - Mar 8 with 3411 viewsdistortR

I've never felt the need to go to Venice, occasionally a spring tide, combined with a storm, will bring the sea into the streets of Ramsey. Kayaks down the high street, the odd floating car, chips, cheese and gravy and pubs resolutely trying to stay open, halcyon days.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 08:17 - Mar 8 with 3351 viewsstevec

Gondolas are expensive, north of £80 last time there, but a previous time shared a boat, other couple at other end of boat(!) for half the price. Best run it past the wife first though.

Good coverage of Venice on here already. Last time we made Venice a 24hr visit, stayed at Lake Garda and took the train to Venice. Only took a couple of hours, so worth doing that if you have the time, Garda was lovely.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 08:34 - Mar 8 with 3336 viewstoboboly

This was pre-covid but there was a much cheaper alternative to a gondola where you could actually have a gondola lesson and try it yourself. Was fun and even though they assured us no-one had ever fallen in I almost did!

edit: think it was this lot

https://rowvenice.org/
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 8:35]

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Anyone been to Venice ? on 08:45 - Mar 8 with 3318 viewsDrewster

As others have said, get lost in the maze of alleyways. There’s more to Venice than canals. You can find yourself squeezing down an alley no wider than your shoulders to emerge in a beautiful (and at this time of the year, quiet) piazza.
We went mid March as well and it’s just perfect.
Didn’t think it was that overpriced but we did our homework and ate at trattoria’s further out from the centre.
Tip: buy a vaparetto pass for the water taxi to last your stay but remember to validate the ticket every time you get on the boat, otherwise you’ll get a big fine. And being a tourist is no excuse, they don’t mess about and it’s instant pay up.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:04 - Mar 8 with 3300 viewswombat

Anyone been to Venice ? on 08:45 - Mar 8 by Drewster

As others have said, get lost in the maze of alleyways. There’s more to Venice than canals. You can find yourself squeezing down an alley no wider than your shoulders to emerge in a beautiful (and at this time of the year, quiet) piazza.
We went mid March as well and it’s just perfect.
Didn’t think it was that overpriced but we did our homework and ate at trattoria’s further out from the centre.
Tip: buy a vaparetto pass for the water taxi to last your stay but remember to validate the ticket every time you get on the boat, otherwise you’ll get a big fine. And being a tourist is no excuse, they don’t mess about and it’s instant pay up.

cheers as always lads, plannong on doing as much walking as the recoving broken leg will allow , obv food is high on the agenda so have a walking tour first day which takes you around some locals bars etc to get an idea whats around off the tourst track trip to the islands as well isd on the agenda , when we do these sort of trips we usually just head off and see what happens , best way to find out the true place we are visiting usually ,

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:18 - Mar 8 with 3286 viewsBluce_Ree

Re: food. I'm going to sound like such a peasant but after having pasta, pizza and whatever, the best thing I had there was a Burger King.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:32 - Mar 8 with 3261 viewsR_from_afar

It’s a great place to visit, enjoy.

Admittedly it was in the 80s when I visited, but back then, there were some religious buildings which you weren’t allowed to enter unless you were dressed demurely. So, my dad and his mate weren’t allowed into a church because they were wearing shorts.

I have since been to some places, monasteries as I recall, where they loan you clothing, like shawls, to enable you to comply with the dress code.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:34 - Mar 8 with 3264 viewsActonExile

If you want to do the main attractions do it early in the morning before the buses, trains and boats rock up, then go and do the other islands, the lido, the one where they make the glass and as stated before just wander around the back streets, you can then do the popular stuff again in the evenings when the buses, trains and boats have gone again.

When eating and drinking 'if you can see something interesting or famous from your seat it will be double the price than if you can't'.

There is also a part which used to be the fishing village part which is quiet and cheap, but it is lovely.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:43 - Mar 8 with 3235 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Get to the football if you can! Look at where this stadium is

[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 9:46]
Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:47 - Mar 8 with 3234 viewsheadhoops

hi wombat, most advise already on here, there is a designer store right by the ponte vechio, has amaizing views at the top and was free. Toilets well posh too, added bonus after walking around for hours! Eat in the 'local' places, you may well have to queue, book, much better than Burger King! Enjoy.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:53 - Mar 8 with 3223 viewsTheChef

Anyone been to Venice ? on 00:04 - Mar 8 by dannyblue

I went in early June last year. If you like food and wine...

I really enjoyed the stretch on the Fondamenta de la misericordia. Go to lots of places and have cichetti and a glass of wine in each one. I particularly liked Paradiso Perduto but there are lots of good places on that stretch. Decent value too - at least compared to the real tourist traps. Spending an early evening doing that is a great joy.

Otherwise just stroll around, get lost, stick your head through doors, try things out. Have a great time.

Amazing place - just soak it all in, it's like a living museum. And Venice this time of year has a special atmosphere very distinct from the summer months (see Don't Look Now if you never have!). Not heaving with tourists and stinking hot/humid.

Fond memories of Paradiso Perduto - I was visiting friends and we had a very late night there, realised we'd missed the last train back to Padua where I was staying. Ended up sleeping in a gondola and got the first train back in the morning!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Anyone been to Venice ? on 09:57 - Mar 8 with 3212 viewsjohann28

My tip when choosing a place to stay and for dining is to go for something a little outside the central area such as San Polo or Cannaregio - it's more authentically Italian and cheaper to boot.

Try and get to Torcello and/or Padua if you've time.
Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:12 - Mar 8 with 3181 viewsjoe90

I went many years ago for the Biennale. Well worth it if you're into contemporary art.

https://www.labiennale.org/en
Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:12 - Mar 8 with 3181 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ignore everything else and just buy this book, Venice for Pleasure.

https://amzn.to/3ZApxT1

Recommended to me by Sheila Hancock. She used to use it on holidays there with John Thaw. It is absolutely outstanding. 4 long, leisurely, self-guided, fun, fascinating walks around Venice. No rush, no boring stuff, loads of encouragement to stop for coffee / ice cream, beautifully written and just crammed with absolutely fascinating information. At one point spent about half an hour looking at some pillars, which sounds daft, but each one told a story, and it was so interesting. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Have recommended to loads of people and they all loved it and came back so happy.

The only way to see Venice.

Bare bones.

Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:35 - Mar 8 with 3146 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:12 - Mar 8 by Antti_Heinola

Ignore everything else and just buy this book, Venice for Pleasure.

https://amzn.to/3ZApxT1

Recommended to me by Sheila Hancock. She used to use it on holidays there with John Thaw. It is absolutely outstanding. 4 long, leisurely, self-guided, fun, fascinating walks around Venice. No rush, no boring stuff, loads of encouragement to stop for coffee / ice cream, beautifully written and just crammed with absolutely fascinating information. At one point spent about half an hour looking at some pillars, which sounds daft, but each one told a story, and it was so interesting. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Have recommended to loads of people and they all loved it and came back so happy.

The only way to see Venice.

Pick that name up from the floor Antii! 😆
Anyone been to Venice ? on 10:46 - Mar 8 with 3132 viewsCiderwithRsie

Went there for my honeymoon, in midwinter. The place was flooded, and not just in the old "streets are falloff water, please advise" gag way, the hotel had moved everything out of the ground floor. We bought wellies from the shop next door.

Anyway, echo the points others have made about this being a good time of year to go, and that just wandering around is the thing to do. Whole place is about the size of the West End, but with no cars and everything built about 500 years ago.

St Mark's and the Doge's Palace are obvious choices but still essential - I was taken with the enormous globes in the Palace, gave me a real sense of those guys sitting there plotting out trade routes across the world, Marco Polo-style.

Also: cafe corretto - an espresso with a shot in it - is the absolute business on a cold morning.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024