Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic In 17:32 - Jul 17 with 16298 viewsQPRSteve

Begovic confirmed

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/asmir-begovic-completes-qpr-move-170723/
[Post edited 17 Jul 2023 17:33]
Begovic In on 22:04 - Jul 17 with 2814 viewsgazza1

I have not got a clue to make a valued judgement if this is a good or bad signing.......he hasn't played much for most of last season and the previous one, maybe longer, but there is not a lot going for him as far as I am concerned. I hope he is going to be a great signing because we are going to need a goalkeeper who can play well for 90 minutes every match of the forthcoming season - we have nobody else anywhere near the first team, apparently.

Pretty certain he would have got a decent signing on fee and also I see why he would not be on a good wage here.

I'm shocked Norf hasn't committed suicide over this signing.........
Begovic In on 22:10 - Jul 17 with 2765 viewscolinallcars

Fame at last…..a mention of the signing on BBC website among all the 100 million signings.
Begovic In on 23:17 - Jul 17 with 2617 viewsMatch82

I was hoping Walsh was highly thought of enough to step up and do a job while growing into a top end keeper in this division. I guess the feeling is he's not there yet, in which case I'm happy we brought in someone of Begovic's obvious experience and quality rather than trying to survive the season with the other keepers we have who don't fill me with confidence
Begovic In on 00:04 - Jul 18 with 2555 viewsNorthernr

Begovic In on 23:17 - Jul 17 by Match82

I was hoping Walsh was highly thought of enough to step up and do a job while growing into a top end keeper in this division. I guess the feeling is he's not there yet, in which case I'm happy we brought in someone of Begovic's obvious experience and quality rather than trying to survive the season with the other keepers we have who don't fill me with confidence

Since Walsh signed we have done nothing to further his career. Not a first team appearance, not a loan into a serious level of football. Fair enough had a broken hand at a time we were desperate for keepers but knowing Warburton, and Warburton's opinion of our youth set up and the players within it, I think he'd have still looked to do Marshall and/or Westwood regardless. Watched him in the pre-season games and he's no better than the player we signed - miles and miles off it. The goal we conceded in that game on Saturday I'd have done a better job with. I bet he's fcking delighted he came here. Total waste of everybody's time.
Begovic In on 00:17 - Jul 18 with 2536 viewsBoston

Begovic In on 21:01 - Jul 17 by hubble

I think maybe you thought my comment was me being ironic. I guess it was too subtle. If you check it again, you'll see I spelt Asmir as Asmr..... Am I the only person on here who knows what ASMR is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASMR

Well, I thought it was funny....

As eclectic a bunch as Rangers are, most don't do ear w@nking.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Begovic In on 01:02 - Jul 18 with 2471 viewsBoston

Well, although I was aware we were in the market for another keeper, this actually caught me on the hop. Certainly appears to be better than your average stiff and, considering I thought 'Begovic's couldn't be choosers', I feel congratulations are in order to whomever has assumed the responsibility of identifying, signing new players.

Pros - Experienced, steady reliable sort.

Cons - any wobbliness will lead to further 'Balkanization' among the fans.

[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 1:11]

Begovic In on 07:08 - Jul 18 with 2317 viewsdmm

Begovic In on 00:04 - Jul 18 by Northernr

Since Walsh signed we have done nothing to further his career. Not a first team appearance, not a loan into a serious level of football. Fair enough had a broken hand at a time we were desperate for keepers but knowing Warburton, and Warburton's opinion of our youth set up and the players within it, I think he'd have still looked to do Marshall and/or Westwood regardless. Watched him in the pre-season games and he's no better than the player we signed - miles and miles off it. The goal we conceded in that game on Saturday I'd have done a better job with. I bet he's fcking delighted he came here. Total waste of everybody's time.

I agree about Saturday's goal conceded by Walsh. It was a pretty innocuous shot and he should have been able to gather the ball into his body instead of parrying it back into play.

In the recent keeper reaction test video I found Gavin Ward's little throw away comment about Walsh never moving his feet interesting.

I had great hopes for the lad when he came. I haven't given up on him but I increasingly wonder whether he's actually good enough.
Begovic In on 07:52 - Jul 18 with 2242 viewsHunterhoop

Surely this is the season he gets a loan in league 2, isn’t it? He was always ahead of Murphy, but now Murphy has got a loan to Swindon, if he actually plays there, you’d have to think he’s leapfrogged Walsh in the pecking order.

I suspect they’ll see how both Murphy and Walsh do on their loans, take a view on how Begovic has gone, and then decide whether to extend the latter or ride with one of the former in the following season. I think it’ll be extend Begovic, but let’s see. Given their ages and the fact that Begovic will be on little money, the situation we’re in isn’t the worst one. I still think there is a potential pipeline here, we’re just not rushing it because we don’t need to.

Selling Dieng for 2m, whilst a lot less than he was worth 12 months ago, and getting Begovic in, is an easy win for the club financially without impacting the playing side of things and allowing your two young keepers to develop elsewhere. You could argue Begovic will be better than Dieng was too.

The biggest plus here, and why I’m happy with it, is Begovic is clearly someone Ainsworth sees as a leader, who will contribute to creating the right culture and ethos in the dressing room. You cannot underestimate the importance of this, not just to Ainsworth but in any team. If Dieng was out clubbing all the time, not looking after himself, safe in the knowledge he was never getting dropped, that will have not been helpful in the dressing room.

You’re beginning to see a team spine that will also act as the leadership group under Ainsworth, I think: Begovic, Dunne, Field, Wing (I expect), Dykes, and maybe one more at RB, CB or CF.
Login to get fewer ads

Begovic In on 07:57 - Jul 18 with 2222 viewsArcticHoop

Very happy about this. You dont play almost 300 games in PL if you don´t do good job. He might be 36,but he looks very fit and could easily keep playing few more years.
Begovic In on 08:48 - Jul 18 with 2122 viewsmonners1969

Yeah but Walsh may have stopped the Penalty from the 13 year old at the SP game.... ;-)
Begovic In on 09:51 - Jul 18 with 1990 viewsfrancisbowles

Well we need a keeper.

I just hope he's still decent after hardly playing for a while.

I expect we will get an idea on the next three Saturdays.
Begovic In on 09:56 - Jul 18 with 1978 viewsSonofpugwash

Is this a prime example of what's known as "Upcycling"?

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Begovic In on 10:05 - Jul 18 with 1940 viewshubble

Begovic In on 00:17 - Jul 18 by Boston

As eclectic a bunch as Rangers are, most don't do ear w@nking.

How do you know?

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Begovic In on 10:11 - Jul 18 with 1907 viewsterryb

Begovic In on 07:52 - Jul 18 by Hunterhoop

Surely this is the season he gets a loan in league 2, isn’t it? He was always ahead of Murphy, but now Murphy has got a loan to Swindon, if he actually plays there, you’d have to think he’s leapfrogged Walsh in the pecking order.

I suspect they’ll see how both Murphy and Walsh do on their loans, take a view on how Begovic has gone, and then decide whether to extend the latter or ride with one of the former in the following season. I think it’ll be extend Begovic, but let’s see. Given their ages and the fact that Begovic will be on little money, the situation we’re in isn’t the worst one. I still think there is a potential pipeline here, we’re just not rushing it because we don’t need to.

Selling Dieng for 2m, whilst a lot less than he was worth 12 months ago, and getting Begovic in, is an easy win for the club financially without impacting the playing side of things and allowing your two young keepers to develop elsewhere. You could argue Begovic will be better than Dieng was too.

The biggest plus here, and why I’m happy with it, is Begovic is clearly someone Ainsworth sees as a leader, who will contribute to creating the right culture and ethos in the dressing room. You cannot underestimate the importance of this, not just to Ainsworth but in any team. If Dieng was out clubbing all the time, not looking after himself, safe in the knowledge he was never getting dropped, that will have not been helpful in the dressing room.

You’re beginning to see a team spine that will also act as the leadership group under Ainsworth, I think: Begovic, Dunne, Field, Wing (I expect), Dykes, and maybe one more at RB, CB or CF.

I suspect that Murphy Mahoney is the 'keeper that the club is hoping they will be able to promote.

He handled his two appearances well & looked that he knew what goalkeeping is about.
Begovic In on 10:41 - Jul 18 with 1809 viewsHoopsie

Dieng was mid 20 when he became number one, so by this logic, Walsh has a few more years of apprenticeship?

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Begovic In on 10:45 - Jul 18 with 1792 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Very happy with this signing. Very happy indeed. Dare I say it, despite his 'age' an upgrade?
Begovic In on 10:48 - Jul 18 with 1773 viewshubble

The keeper is arguably the single most important player on the pitch. This could prove to be a season-defining (and season saving) appointment.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Begovic In on 11:17 - Jul 18 with 1707 viewsrobith

Who "gets the badge in" more - young lads in Stone Island, or QPR with Heston on media statements?
Begovic In on 11:20 - Jul 18 with 1679 viewsdmm

Begovic In on 10:48 - Jul 18 by hubble

The keeper is arguably the single most important player on the pitch. This could prove to be a season-defining (and season saving) appointment.

And that is exactly what I told everyone in the team in my keeper days as a lad. Did they listen? Did they heck.
Begovic In on 11:21 - Jul 18 with 1676 viewsQPROslo

Begovic In on 07:08 - Jul 18 by dmm

I agree about Saturday's goal conceded by Walsh. It was a pretty innocuous shot and he should have been able to gather the ball into his body instead of parrying it back into play.

In the recent keeper reaction test video I found Gavin Ward's little throw away comment about Walsh never moving his feet interesting.

I had great hopes for the lad when he came. I haven't given up on him but I increasingly wonder whether he's actually good enough.

Really have to see if Begovic is still good enough or not, it's a concern that he's hardly played for 3 seasons. It would have been interesting to have seen his 36 year old reactions in that test you mention.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 11:22]
Begovic In on 11:28 - Jul 18 with 1648 viewsdmm

Begovic In on 11:21 - Jul 18 by QPROslo

Really have to see if Begovic is still good enough or not, it's a concern that he's hardly played for 3 seasons. It would have been interesting to have seen his 36 year old reactions in that test you mention.

Whereas his reaction time will almost certainly be a tad slower at his age, the many years experience he has should mean his positioning compensates for that. We'll soon find out.
Begovic In on 13:00 - Jul 18 with 1529 viewskensalriser

Begovic In on 11:21 - Jul 18 by QPROslo

Novak Djokovic’s 36 yo reactions weren’t too bad on Sunday.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Begovic In on 13:05 - Jul 18 with 1507 viewsaston_hoop

Begovic In on 10:41 - Jul 18 by Hoopsie

Dieng was mid 20 when he became number one, so by this logic, Walsh has a few more years of apprenticeship?

Dieng was on loan in the National League South at an older age than Walsh who has already been on loan in the league above. I wouldn't be worried at all about his development at this stage. I'd give him the Norwich cup game before loaning him out, just to get an idea where he is at. I did initially think we'd keep him around as third choice or even second choice as we already know Archer is shite, but I suppose its fair that its game he needs at this age.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Begovic In on 15:03 - Jul 18 with 1378 viewsBoston

Can't see anything about injuries either.😀

Begovic In on 15:55 - Jul 18 with 1292 viewsCamberleyR

Begovic In on 13:05 - Jul 18 by aston_hoop

Dieng was on loan in the National League South at an older age than Walsh who has already been on loan in the league above. I wouldn't be worried at all about his development at this stage. I'd give him the Norwich cup game before loaning him out, just to get an idea where he is at. I did initially think we'd keep him around as third choice or even second choice as we already know Archer is shite, but I suppose its fair that its game he needs at this age.

Not sure what the defences were like he was playing in front of at Dorking and Maidenhead in the NL but in his eight games last season he conceded seventeen goals which probably wouldn't have done much for his confidence.

As you say, I'd play him in the League Cup game as we'll learn bugger all if Archer is picked.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2023 15:57]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024