Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saudi money....... 08:42 - Jul 20 with 9611 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Splashing the cash about and disrupting the transfer market, £50 for Mitrovic anyone! Similarities to NASL in the 70s?

So who on here would take the money, or stand by their principals and turn it down?
Saudi money....... on 08:50 - Jul 20 with 4322 viewsGaryBannister86

I think we could afford Mitrovic for £50. Decent value.

99% of football fans would take money from a Putin, Hitler, Fred West consortium if it won their club football matches. It is what it is.

However, it would make no difference to us? Our owners are immensely wealthy and FFP means there is zero we can do about it.

Unless you mean the Saudis would just pump so much money in regardless knowing we would probably get to the PL and ride through fines, points deductions?
Saudi money....... on 09:32 - Jul 20 with 4175 viewsrbee

An interesting question with the list of big name players heading East rapidly growing. These guys are already guaranteed a comfortable retirement but they are now being given the opportunity to retire with a few extra million in the bank.

Jordan Henderson is a good example. Just turned 33, Captain of Liverpool and currently still a part of Gareth Southgate’s plans for the Euros. That is a lot to give up.

Five years ago, if I was him, I would have seen out the remaining two years of my Liverpool contract and continued playing for my country ready to accept a Saudi offer when I turn 35.

Now, however, the World is an increasingly unpredictable place and there is no guarantee that the same offer would be available in a year or two’s time so I would pack my bags and go. I am pretty sure that provisions are being made for these players to stay in frequent contact with their families.
Saudi money....... on 09:41 - Jul 20 with 4125 viewsHayesender

Saudi money....... on 09:32 - Jul 20 by rbee

An interesting question with the list of big name players heading East rapidly growing. These guys are already guaranteed a comfortable retirement but they are now being given the opportunity to retire with a few extra million in the bank.

Jordan Henderson is a good example. Just turned 33, Captain of Liverpool and currently still a part of Gareth Southgate’s plans for the Euros. That is a lot to give up.

Five years ago, if I was him, I would have seen out the remaining two years of my Liverpool contract and continued playing for my country ready to accept a Saudi offer when I turn 35.

Now, however, the World is an increasingly unpredictable place and there is no guarantee that the same offer would be available in a year or two’s time so I would pack my bags and go. I am pretty sure that provisions are being made for these players to stay in frequent contact with their families.

Will Jordan Henderson be taking his principles with him to Saudi I wonder?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Saudi money....... on 09:51 - Jul 20 with 4101 viewsQPR_John

It would not matter if we were owned by the richest group in the world whoever they might be. FFP ensures the FL can ensure to their Premier League masters we and many like us are no threat.
Saudi money....... on 10:08 - Jul 20 with 4048 viewstoboboly

Saudi money....... on 09:41 - Jul 20 by Hayesender

Will Jordan Henderson be taking his principles with him to Saudi I wonder?

It seems principles means something different nowadays to when I was a kid.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Saudi money....... on 10:09 - Jul 20 with 4044 viewsterryb

It will be interesting how the World Club Championship develops.

Perhaps the traditional Europe - South America final will be under threat?
Saudi money....... on 10:24 - Jul 20 with 4002 viewsngbqpr

What disappoints me most is the players who are going are already financially secure for life, their families secure for generations to come.

The standard of football will not match the 'big 5' leagues. At least some (Henderson being the most obvious example) you'd like to think would question playing there on principle too.

Ronaldo's lot just lost 5-0 to Celta Vigo, 13th in La Liga last season.

Hard to se any of these moves being driven by anything other than adding a few more zeros to their already bulging bank accounts. Greed.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Saudi money....... on 10:35 - Jul 20 with 3957 viewsrbee

The money is being offered so I don’t see it as greed. It secures these players futures and those of their children, parents, brothers, sisters, and possibly extended family!

With that in mind it’s a very tough one to turn down.
Login to get fewer ads

Saudi money....... on 10:44 - Jul 20 with 3914 viewsslmrstid

I know we talk about sustainability etc until the cows come home, but I can't see these sort of values carrying on for years - if the interest and revenues don't follow the players then rich oil barons aren't going to want to pour millions into footballers with no return ad infinitum.

Its all so weird, its not going to really improve the standard because the players are getting so much money I'd argue there's not going to be a huge amount of drive from them. You're not going to get bigger fanbases in your own country. And in addition, there's going to be such an ability mismatch within clubs between the big overseas megastars and the local players padding out the rest of the team that as a whole the teams will probably still be crap.

I can only assume they're chasing the football supporting market where people support players rather than clubs (an alien concept to me, but it exists apparently).

Who here is going to have any interest in suddenly following Al-Ittihad because they've got a few good players? Bugger that.
Saudi money....... on 11:04 - Jul 20 with 3853 viewsrbee

I have absolutely no idea on what is happening in Saudi with football but have a theory. I read somewhere that transfer fees were more of an issue for the Saudi clubs than the high salaries.
I would suggest that the Saudi’s are hoping for some big TV deals to cover the costs of expanding their league. They are gambling on there being a sizeable world interest, in my opinion.
Saudi money....... on 11:06 - Jul 20 with 3838 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I don't accept the basic premise that people in the West have better principles than in Saudi Arabia.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Saudi money....... on 11:25 - Jul 20 with 3758 viewsloftboy

Chair must be on their radar surely,international £40 million, thank you very much.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Saudi money....... on 11:26 - Jul 20 with 3755 viewstoboboly

Saudi money....... on 11:06 - Jul 20 by BrianMcCarthy

I don't accept the basic premise that people in the West have better principles than in Saudi Arabia.

You're right Brian, stoning homosexuals and locking up women for daring to voice an opinion is definitely principled. Just not the principles I would want to be around or supporting.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Saudi money....... on 11:29 - Jul 20 with 3744 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Would you care to elaborate Brian? Is there not a pretty stark difference between 'our' ethical shortfalls and that of a nation that legalises ownership of women, torture, execution for fairly minor crimes and illegalises homosexuality, for example?

I know which society I'd rather be a part of.

This thread is probably not what Clive is after is it?!
Saudi money....... on 11:36 - Jul 20 with 3714 viewsJuzzie

Saudi money....... on 10:35 - Jul 20 by rbee

The money is being offered so I don’t see it as greed. It secures these players futures and those of their children, parents, brothers, sisters, and possibly extended family!

With that in mind it’s a very tough one to turn down.

They'll all already be secure. Henderson is already worth around £23 million. If that can't secure his immediate family then I don't know what will.
Saudi money....... on 11:46 - Jul 20 with 3692 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Saudi money....... on 11:36 - Jul 20 by Juzzie

They'll all already be secure. Henderson is already worth around £23 million. If that can't secure his immediate family then I don't know what will.

We heard a lot about 'security' from LIV golfers too. Apparently a wealth large enough to own multiple mansions on multiple continents and literal collections of supercars isn't enough to secure a future for one family.

Of course it's greed. It's easy to criticise when it's not you faced with the moral quandary but it does leave a very sour taste in the mouth. It appears the richer most people get, the hungrier they get for more gratuitous money. It's a funny old world.
Saudi money....... on 12:01 - Jul 20 with 3658 viewsPaddyhoops

Saudi money....... on 11:46 - Jul 20 by Padulas_Shampoo

We heard a lot about 'security' from LIV golfers too. Apparently a wealth large enough to own multiple mansions on multiple continents and literal collections of supercars isn't enough to secure a future for one family.

Of course it's greed. It's easy to criticise when it's not you faced with the moral quandary but it does leave a very sour taste in the mouth. It appears the richer most people get, the hungrier they get for more gratuitous money. It's a funny old world.

I think Henderson will change a lot of things over there.
He was a great ambassador for LGBTQ rights and starred in many campaigns for equality for woman.
He’ll fit right in over there.
Brian to a degree is right though but we are making an effort.
Saudi money....... on 12:09 - Jul 20 with 3628 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Boom. Whoop, there it is!
Saudi money....... on 12:09 - Jul 20 with 3632 viewskensalriser

The autocratic regime in Saudi doesn't want change, it wants to buy international political and cultural influence, which is exactly what it's doing. The players signing for Saudi clubs are just pawns in that vile game.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Saudi money....... on 12:11 - Jul 20 with 3622 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Saudi money....... on 11:26 - Jul 20 by toboboly

You're right Brian, stoning homosexuals and locking up women for daring to voice an opinion is definitely principled. Just not the principles I would want to be around or supporting.

As reported by Western media; and we all know that they're the cornerstone of everything that is true and holy.
Saudi money....... on 12:19 - Jul 20 with 3589 viewsJuzzie

Saudi money....... on 12:01 - Jul 20 by Paddyhoops

I think Henderson will change a lot of things over there.
He was a great ambassador for LGBTQ rights and starred in many campaigns for equality for woman.
He’ll fit right in over there.
Brian to a degree is right though but we are making an effort.

Henderson won't make a blind bit of difference. He'll probably be told to STFU.
Saudi money....... on 12:28 - Jul 20 with 3527 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Saudi money....... on 11:29 - Jul 20 by Padulas_Shampoo

Would you care to elaborate Brian? Is there not a pretty stark difference between 'our' ethical shortfalls and that of a nation that legalises ownership of women, torture, execution for fairly minor crimes and illegalises homosexuality, for example?

I know which society I'd rather be a part of.

This thread is probably not what Clive is after is it?!

It probably isn't - fair point, he's on his hols - so I'll drop it, bar saying that we have plenty to be ashamed of too and I think we need to be careful about being judgemental. I think we covered all of this during the World Cup, so forgive me for dragging it up again.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Saudi money....... on 12:30 - Jul 20 with 3514 viewskensalriser

Saudi money....... on 12:11 - Jul 20 by Benny_the_Ball

As reported by Western media; and we all know that they're the cornerstone of everything that is true and holy.

As reported by numerous outlets all over the world, and of course the recipients themselves of human rights abuses, and their family members.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/08/19/saudi-arabia-woman-sentenced-34-years-tweets

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Saudi money....... on 12:44 - Jul 20 with 3443 viewsSakura

The big clubs set up the "FFP" scam to protect themselves from lower clubs being able to overtake them. This is why it's going to be hilarious if the Saudi's use that as a means of taking chunks out of their market share and outspending them

The big incumbents can use corruption to manoeuvre regulations that protect them from competition in their home markets but they've left a gap on the global market to be out done. Good luck to the Saudi's. Crony capitalism like in UEFA deserves to fail

People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones. Imagine what the Saudis think of us considering what we've been up to in their region. Was such a surprise that we never found those WMD's that Campbell and Blair used to justify the War that led to millions of civilian deaths

While Assange remains locked up, we have a prime minister that no one voted for and America has a president with Dementia while his son does Coke in the Whitehouse. It’s North Korean levels of censorship imposed to pretend the West isn’t a total sham
Saudi money....... on 12:45 - Jul 20 with 3452 viewsPaddyhoops

Saudi money....... on 12:19 - Jul 20 by Juzzie

Henderson won't make a blind bit of difference. He'll probably be told to STFU.

I was being sarcastic about Henderson. I think he’s being been vocal over issues regarding LGBTQ and inclusivity over here and I think it’s a bit hypocritical to go to a country to earn a fortune which isn’t exactly on the same page regarding the issues he’s Been championing over here.
Mind you were all hypocritical to a certain degree.
Nobody’s perfect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024