Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford Thread 11:39 - Jul 29 with 45110 viewscolinallcars

I'll be watching on Recast….I can't go up the pub, I've hurt my calf.
I'm hoping GA will field the likely team to start at Watford and not completely change it for the second half.
Oxford Thread on 18:19 - Jul 29 with 3648 viewsBushRanger82

Oxford Thread on 17:55 - Jul 29 by Northernr

That was horrific. Should have been a lot more than 5.

A tad worrying, that.
I know it's pre-season. I know Oxford are lower league. I know we're Queen's Park Rangers.
But, all the same.
Oxford Thread on 18:21 - Jul 29 with 3626 viewsderbyhoop

Oxford Thread on 17:40 - Jul 29 by DejR_vu

Well what was he doing then?

Give it a rest.
LF has gone. Pointless to keep sniping.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Oxford Thread on 18:23 - Jul 29 with 3593 viewsslmrstid

I remember in 2009/10 Newcastle lost a pre-season friendly 6-1 to Leyton Orient and they were being ridiculed in all the press about how their Prem superstars who hadn't left were getting their arses handed to them by a League Two side.

Newcastle then won the 2009/10 Championship at a canter.

Clutching at straws I know
Oxford Thread on 18:25 - Jul 29 with 3522 viewsnix

Oxford Thread on 16:57 - Jul 29 by Match82

I quite enjoy this forum. It's ok to be realistic. It's a fcking miserable place to come onto when people are creaming themselves about how badly we're doing because they can say "I was right" though. There's a balance.

Today was awful in every possible way. This is at best going to be a long season and it could be awful from start to finish. There can't be any excuses. But there are going to be some smug fckers saying "I told you so" and delighting in the fact that things are going badly tonight. I don't understand that attitude and it makes this a toxic place.

Yep. That’s pretty much my position.

I cannot defend anything about today though and I’m not sure why things are going so badly. Yes mistakes have been made. Yes we are lacking in several key positions. But that wasn’t it today. It really wasn’t a lack of a decent CD or CF. It was a lack of any identity and structure to the team. We just weren’t playing football in any way that justifies the description. I really don’t know why. Poor movement, poor decision-making, not supporting the man with the ball, not covering back, not making runs, not challenging with conviction. It was a shambles as if a load of amateurs had stolen our kit, kidnapped the first team and conned their way into the pitch.

I don’t know where he goes from here but we can’t carry on in such a lackadaisical way. It was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from us and I was at a Peterborough away game and watched last year’s Blackpool debacle on TV. I really hope GA has a plan B!
Oxford Thread on 18:26 - Jul 29 with 3515 viewsDejR_vu

Oxford Thread on 18:21 - Jul 29 by derbyhoop

Give it a rest.
LF has gone. Pointless to keep sniping.

Sorry Derby, I didn’t realise you were in charge of what can and can’t be said 😉

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Oxford Thread on 18:29 - Jul 29 with 3432 viewsBushRanger82

Oxford Thread on 18:23 - Jul 29 by slmrstid

I remember in 2009/10 Newcastle lost a pre-season friendly 6-1 to Leyton Orient and they were being ridiculed in all the press about how their Prem superstars who hadn't left were getting their arses handed to them by a League Two side.

Newcastle then won the 2009/10 Championship at a canter.

Clutching at straws I know

Straw clutching at it's finest, there.
Newcastle didn't have a squad quite as poor as ours.
And even the merest thought that we might win the Championship at a canter, ought to be good reason to call for the men in white coats carrying butterfly nets.
Oxford Thread on 18:32 - Jul 29 with 3413 viewsbosh67

Most worrying thing is Dunne’s injury. That could be him out for weeks if not months. Our current CB position is horrendous. No one is fit!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Oxford Thread on 18:42 - Jul 29 with 3286 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Oxford Thread on 18:00 - Jul 29 by essextaxiboy

Isn’t this exactly the sort of season to commit to getting there and supporting ?

If I lived closer to the ground, maybe. Just got better things to do with my time than be forced to watch dross like last season. I'll still go to matches (was there last week) but it became a chore last season.
Login to get fewer ads

Oxford Thread on 18:43 - Jul 29 with 3262 viewsstainrods_elbow

Today's debacle, and the terrible outcome with Dunne, makes it crystal clear club has to beg, borrow, or steal two quality CBs, two attacking CMS, and one/two CFs at a minimum if it wants to compete this season, FFP or no FFP. Otherwise, it can just relegate itself and use FFP as the fig leaf/excuse if it prefers. (I increasingly suspect the latter option is the not-so- hidden agenda.)
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 18:43]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Oxford Thread on 18:47 - Jul 29 with 3217 viewsBushRanger82

Oxford Thread on 18:32 - Jul 29 by bosh67

Most worrying thing is Dunne’s injury. That could be him out for weeks if not months. Our current CB position is horrendous. No one is fit!

Even more worrying, the defence isn't much improved even when he's fit and playing.
Oxford Thread on 18:51 - Jul 29 with 3174 viewseastside_r

Made the decision to ignore this game and watch the cricket.

I don’t know if I would have been more alarmed watching this or coming on here now to witness the aftermath.

Either way - this is very bad.
Oxford Thread on 18:54 - Jul 29 with 3132 viewsconnell10

At times today Rangers looked like a bunch of school kids in playground football game, all running around the ball together, getting in each others way , no structure, just headless chickens!! What was the game plan? That's what scared me more than anything I couldn't see what our pattern of play was! I think that's probably up there with the worst performances by us that I've ever seen. Yep I'm scared , very scared!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Oxford Thread on 18:58 - Jul 29 with 3074 viewsSonofpugwash

Maybe it's a cunning plan to lull Watford into a false sense of security.
Or maybe feel sorry for us and let us off lightly.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Oxford Thread on 19:00 - Jul 29 with 3048 viewsloneranger1

Before people jump, Let me clarify that I have been willing Gaz to succeed from the beginning and that won't change... I am usually in the happy clappers camp and I know it was a friendly...

However, with about 15 minutes left, the thought occurred to me... could Gaz actually resign after this? Along the lines of "you know what, I really have bitten off more than I can chew with this one, given the state the club is in, and my previous experience. I can't see how I'm going to get this lot doing what I need".
Unprecedented for a Rangers manager to step back so close to the start of the season, but sure it's happened elsewhere.

I expect we will be properly tonked at Watford and it won't be the last one this season. However, I am also sure that Gaz will not be here for the season if we keep playing like tthat
Oxford Thread on 19:07 - Jul 29 with 2959 viewsngbqpr

Oxford Thread on 19:00 - Jul 29 by loneranger1

Before people jump, Let me clarify that I have been willing Gaz to succeed from the beginning and that won't change... I am usually in the happy clappers camp and I know it was a friendly...

However, with about 15 minutes left, the thought occurred to me... could Gaz actually resign after this? Along the lines of "you know what, I really have bitten off more than I can chew with this one, given the state the club is in, and my previous experience. I can't see how I'm going to get this lot doing what I need".
Unprecedented for a Rangers manager to step back so close to the start of the season, but sure it's happened elsewhere.

I expect we will be properly tonked at Watford and it won't be the last one this season. However, I am also sure that Gaz will not be here for the season if we keep playing like tthat

I actually had a similar thought Lone.

A lot of people saying will he be here in October. Don't think many of us can see many (any) points in those opening fixtures, so even October could be a stretch.

Of today's starting 11, we have seen the vast majority of them be decent players at this level, never mind lining up against the one below. Scant evidence his message is getting through.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Oxford Thread on 19:12 - Jul 29 with 2919 viewsNorthernr

Oxford Thread on 18:25 - Jul 29 by nix

Yep. That’s pretty much my position.

I cannot defend anything about today though and I’m not sure why things are going so badly. Yes mistakes have been made. Yes we are lacking in several key positions. But that wasn’t it today. It really wasn’t a lack of a decent CD or CF. It was a lack of any identity and structure to the team. We just weren’t playing football in any way that justifies the description. I really don’t know why. Poor movement, poor decision-making, not supporting the man with the ball, not covering back, not making runs, not challenging with conviction. It was a shambles as if a load of amateurs had stolen our kit, kidnapped the first team and conned their way into the pitch.

I don’t know where he goes from here but we can’t carry on in such a lackadaisical way. It was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from us and I was at a Peterborough away game and watched last year’s Blackpool debacle on TV. I really hope GA has a plan B!

Word for word spot on. The team lacks absolutely everything you would need to be a team - ability, experience, heart, effort, personality.

The only positive is that happened today. I've felt watching them all summer one like that has been coming. My big fear was it would happen at Watford. Gareth even said to us on Thursday "there's a team every year that blows out and gets done 5-0 on the opening day, I desperately don't want that to be us" which tells me he's been thinking the same thing too. Maybe it happening today is a much needed wake up call. But that's the only positive I can take. We're now presumably going in against Watford with a combination of Gubbins/Woodman/Hawkins/Rendall at centre back? Or Field? Or Kakay?
Oxford Thread on 19:12 - Jul 29 with 2913 viewsloneranger1

Oxford Thread on 19:07 - Jul 29 by ngbqpr

I actually had a similar thought Lone.

A lot of people saying will he be here in October. Don't think many of us can see many (any) points in those opening fixtures, so even October could be a stretch.

Of today's starting 11, we have seen the vast majority of them be decent players at this level, never mind lining up against the one below. Scant evidence his message is getting through.

Cheers- I now see another poster asked the same question on the Gaz thread.

It looks like either he can't organise a team (unlikely based on Wycombe, albeit mainly at a lower level), or he players can't/won't do what he wants (mmm....)
Oxford Thread on 19:18 - Jul 29 with 2863 viewswesty

Oxford Thread on 17:39 - Jul 29 by E15Hoop

To be honest, I can't really pass comment as I was having to work overtime, so only turned on to see the 5th goal, which I readily admit, looked like it was defended by a team of underweight U14s.

I saw the comment that GA had his head in his hands when Jimmy Dunne went down injured, so I'll go with that as being an accurate summary of the day's proceedings.

I shall watch the lowlights tomorrow to get up to speed (which it sounds like will be more than the defence managed all game).

Put your tin hat on mate and buckle in 🙈
Oxford Thread on 19:24 - Jul 29 with 2796 viewsWatford_Ranger

Oxford Thread on 19:12 - Jul 29 by Northernr

Word for word spot on. The team lacks absolutely everything you would need to be a team - ability, experience, heart, effort, personality.

The only positive is that happened today. I've felt watching them all summer one like that has been coming. My big fear was it would happen at Watford. Gareth even said to us on Thursday "there's a team every year that blows out and gets done 5-0 on the opening day, I desperately don't want that to be us" which tells me he's been thinking the same thing too. Maybe it happening today is a much needed wake up call. But that's the only positive I can take. We're now presumably going in against Watford with a combination of Gubbins/Woodman/Hawkins/Rendall at centre back? Or Field? Or Kakay?

Fox? Is he available. I’ve entirely lost track. Suspended?

Other people will know far more about Gubbins than me but putting Kakay in there means playing Drewe against Ken Sema and Jamal Lewis which feels like a bloodbath.

Obviously moving Field back creates another huge void but it feels likely to me.
Oxford Thread on 19:31 - Jul 29 with 2710 viewsNorthernr

Oxford Thread on 19:24 - Jul 29 by Watford_Ranger

Fox? Is he available. I’ve entirely lost track. Suspended?

Other people will know far more about Gubbins than me but putting Kakay in there means playing Drewe against Ken Sema and Jamal Lewis which feels like a bloodbath.

Obviously moving Field back creates another huge void but it feels likely to me.

Let's just say I'd be absolutely amazed if he picked Drewe.
Oxford Thread on 19:42 - Jul 29 with 2621 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Oxford Thread on 18:54 - Jul 29 by connell10

At times today Rangers looked like a bunch of school kids in playground football game, all running around the ball together, getting in each others way , no structure, just headless chickens!! What was the game plan? That's what scared me more than anything I couldn't see what our pattern of play was! I think that's probably up there with the worst performances by us that I've ever seen. Yep I'm scared , very scared!!!

The game plan is to knock it aimlessly behind their full backs for Chair or Wilock to run onto and hope they pick up the second ball. That is seriously it.
Oxford Thread on 19:54 - Jul 29 with 2526 viewsterryb

Oxford Thread on 19:12 - Jul 29 by Northernr

Thankfully, I was at the Ipswich Beer Festival today & missed everything .

I'm so looking forward to Watford next week. At least pre match should be enjoyable!

I think my 100% record of Rangers winning when I've seen us at Vicarage Road might be under threat! I admit that it's only been twice!

At least the Development side won at Bedford!
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 20:10]
Oxford Thread on 20:19 - Jul 29 with 2366 viewsnomar

My thoughts, for what it's worth.

These kind of performances are becoming more and more the norm with this club rather than the exception.

It doesn't matter who is in charge, what tactics or formations are employed, it's still the same end product.

Players looking totally disinterested, players shying away from any sort of contact or 50/50 balls, nobody taking any responsibility and all of them looking like they don't want to be here and absolutely don't want to play football anymore.

Yes, if we play like that this season we will go down and it’s highly likely we’ll be lucky to get a point all season, or even score a goal.

And yes, Ainsworth would be sacked after about 8 games if that happens.

But I really don't know what difference it would make.

They've turned in performances like this for Warburton, Beale, Critchley and Ainsworth. None of them could stop this happening let alone stop it happening far too often.

Results like today are now results you kind of expect to happen with this club but hope that they actually won't happen.

I can't put it any other way, really. I have genuinely never seen a group of footballers on this planet who appear to care less than this lot.

Of course, it would be the most QPR thing ever to go out next week and beat Watford.

But even if they do, I'm just used to the reality that another result like today's woodshed beating isn't far away.
Oxford Thread on 20:43 - Jul 29 with 2236 viewsSK_hoops

Oxford Thread on 20:19 - Jul 29 by nomar

My thoughts, for what it's worth.

These kind of performances are becoming more and more the norm with this club rather than the exception.

It doesn't matter who is in charge, what tactics or formations are employed, it's still the same end product.

Players looking totally disinterested, players shying away from any sort of contact or 50/50 balls, nobody taking any responsibility and all of them looking like they don't want to be here and absolutely don't want to play football anymore.

Yes, if we play like that this season we will go down and it’s highly likely we’ll be lucky to get a point all season, or even score a goal.

And yes, Ainsworth would be sacked after about 8 games if that happens.

But I really don't know what difference it would make.

They've turned in performances like this for Warburton, Beale, Critchley and Ainsworth. None of them could stop this happening let alone stop it happening far too often.

Results like today are now results you kind of expect to happen with this club but hope that they actually won't happen.

I can't put it any other way, really. I have genuinely never seen a group of footballers on this planet who appear to care less than this lot.

Of course, it would be the most QPR thing ever to go out next week and beat Watford.

But even if they do, I'm just used to the reality that another result like today's woodshed beating isn't far away.

Yet Chair, Willock and Richards were all good first half at Wimbledon and seemed pretty up for it. Didn't watch the game, but doesn't sound like the case today...
Oxford Thread on 21:05 - Jul 29 with 2117 viewsRangersDave

Dont worry guys, we all stand together 🤓

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024