Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Colback! 11:08 - Jul 31 with 28821 viewsDoudou87

Apparently GA's top target, close to agreeing terms!

Opinions.....?

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-looking-to-sign-midfielder-colback

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Jack Colback! on 17:42 - Jul 31 with 3261 viewsPaddyhoops

Jack Colback! on 15:18 - Jul 31 by Antti_Heinola

The enthusiasm for this signing… jesus christ. I’ve got nothing against the Ginger Pirlo as he was once (bafflingly) christened, and can see how he’d be useful to teams in this league.
But all it really confirms is that we’re firefighting been the season has even started, recruitment this summer has been an absolute farce (i suppose you could say that most summers!). I guess if he is fit and can play that will be something.
Christ, we are miles and miles off.

Great points Antti but needs must . We’re running to stand still at the moment.
Gareth will be lucky to last until October at this rate. I hope we’re proved wrong.
Jack Colback! on 17:43 - Jul 31 with 3227 viewsgazza1

Jack Colback! on 17:13 - Jul 31 by tkqpr

Although i can see a need for a no nonesense CM to help Field, a missed opportunity to sign Oxford's Brannagan for free a few weeks back would have been a better option and still only just turned 27.

There are many more im sure, Alistair Smith, Regan Poole etc etc all on free's yet still young enough to develope on or make into decent long term club legends perhaps?

Im not saying he cant do a job for us, but a northerner (almost) coming to London for a one year deal smacks scrapping the barrel, when i believe there were plenty more ready made younger options available.

Well, if there was more 'ready made' options why didn't we sign them??.....never heard of them myself but I don't keep up with it like i used to.
Jack Colback! on 17:56 - Jul 31 with 3139 viewsNorthantsHoop

Think if he signs will be OK, decent player if he does a job like Geoff Cameron did a couple years back at the same sort of age, fine by me.
Jack Colback! on 17:58 - Jul 31 with 3111 viewsDejR_vu

Jack Colback! on 12:31 - Jul 31 by Padulas_Shampoo

I'd be pretty thrilled with this if it happens.

I think he's the type of midfielder we need - busy and irritating. He's play 408 league games in England, never below the Championship. We talk about Field and Dunne being our leaders... Field has played about 140, Dunne about 80.

On a one year deal, a scrappy player in a season where we'll absolutely have to scrap, with all that experience. Sign me up.

Given we can't afford a Wycombe CB Who's only been a pro for a year and a bit... Within those limitations, this is surely the best we could hope for?

I actually think we've missed players like this at this stage of their careers for the last 3/4 years. He'll certainly improve the mental fragility. He's also a better player on the ball than he gets credit for.

I wouldn't mind another 2 or 3 of this type at all.

Agreed. Given the financial predicament, I’m not sure what else the club can do.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Jack Colback! on 18:01 - Jul 31 with 3092 viewsDejR_vu

Jack Colback! on 12:40 - Jul 31 by Rangersw12

He was a DOF not a head scout

Jees, is the head scout signing off signings? No wonders it’s such a mess😉

Jack Colback! on 18:03 - Jul 31 with 3065 viewsNorthantsHoop

Jack Colback! on 17:58 - Jul 31 by DejR_vu

Agreed. Given the financial predicament, I’m not sure what else the club can do.

Another thing not to be overlooked, Ainsworth has to trust the players he sends out and think we all know he does not trust most of the lot he has inherited(do we?) bar a select few. We need experience and grafters if we have any chance of remaining in the Championship.
Jack Colback! on 18:05 - Jul 31 with 3046 viewsDejR_vu

Jack Colback! on 13:35 - Jul 31 by TK1

Well, they are both central midfielders. They've both played most of their careers at a high level. The career differences are:

SJ is 18 months younger but has played 40 odd league games more than Colback, plus 55 international games more. So that's 100 more games that SJ has played in less time than Colback (though some of those games were in Norway, so probably less wear and tear involved).

Last season SJ looked totally cooked to me (apart from away at Millwall). Yet he still made 30 appearances. Colback made half as many: 16, albeit at a higher level.

So, yeah, worth comparing the old midfielder we've just released with the older one we may sign I think. Everyone hopes it works out. It *has* to work out. But let's not pretend it's not a hit and hope signing. He's nearly 34 and hasn't played much football in the last 12 months. Fingers crossed.

I suspect the two contracts will be vastly different.

Jack Colback! on 18:07 - Jul 31 with 3015 viewsPunteR

My guess is he's carrying loads of injuries as most professionals do at the age of 33 and is looking for his last pay day. Sound familiar?
He'll do a few games , probably play average in half of those, finish the season and then never seen again.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Jack Colback! on 18:45 - Jul 31 with 2800 viewsdmm

I'm pleased everyone is convinced he'll only get a one year contract. I'm worried we've offered him two years in order to beat any competition for his signature.
Jack Colback! on 18:51 - Jul 31 with 2755 viewsnumptydumpty

If he is generally available, this is a very sensible signing.

Lots of experience, a bit of nastiness about him, something we currently lack, so that's extremely important.

Honestly flabbergasted by some of the posts.

What do they want us to do. Ruud Gullitt and Cesc Fabregas are not available anymore so Jack Colback it is.

We unfortunately are not AC Milan or Barcelona

Pleased if this goes ahead

Perhaps another who maybe able to chip in at centre back if circumstances require.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Jack Colback! on 18:52 - Jul 31 with 2727 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Are there seriously no younger prospects in the lower leagues or elsewhere in the world? I get that we have no money but surely there are other players out there - Oxford's new signings seemed a significant upgrade on who we're targeting.
Jack Colback! on 18:53 - Jul 31 with 2737 viewsdmm

Jack Colback! on 18:51 - Jul 31 by numptydumpty

If he is generally available, this is a very sensible signing.

Lots of experience, a bit of nastiness about him, something we currently lack, so that's extremely important.

Honestly flabbergasted by some of the posts.

What do they want us to do. Ruud Gullitt and Cesc Fabregas are not available anymore so Jack Colback it is.

We unfortunately are not AC Milan or Barcelona

Pleased if this goes ahead

Perhaps another who maybe able to chip in at centre back if circumstances require.

At 5' 8" I think Colback should stay in midfield.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 18:53]
Jack Colback! on 18:54 - Jul 31 with 2710 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Jack Colback! on 14:30 - Jul 31 by robith

Look Dozzell has turned out to be a bit of a wet fart, but he was really highly regarded. I can't believe I'm about to quote FIFA, but on FIFA 20 he used to go on to be one of the highest rated midfielders in the world in career mode

I assume Les used the same criteria.
Jack Colback! on 18:58 - Jul 31 with 2674 viewsvanrrrr

Jack Colback! on 18:52 - Jul 31 by Wegerles_Stairs

Are there seriously no younger prospects in the lower leagues or elsewhere in the world? I get that we have no money but surely there are other players out there - Oxford's new signings seemed a significant upgrade on who we're targeting.

Indeed. Seems like just yesterday GA was telling us him and Dobbo knew the lower leagues inside and out and we'd see some rough diamonds.

All thoroughly depressing
Jack Colback! on 19:20 - Jul 31 with 2491 viewsted_hendrix

Jack Colback! on 18:58 - Jul 31 by vanrrrr

Indeed. Seems like just yesterday GA was telling us him and Dobbo knew the lower leagues inside and out and we'd see some rough diamonds.

*All thoroughly depressing*

Quite the opposite for me, well pleased If we can get him in.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Jack Colback! on 19:45 - Jul 31 with 2357 viewsqprcmob

Jack Colback! on 15:18 - Jul 31 by Antti_Heinola

The enthusiasm for this signing… jesus christ. I’ve got nothing against the Ginger Pirlo as he was once (bafflingly) christened, and can see how he’d be useful to teams in this league.
But all it really confirms is that we’re firefighting been the season has even started, recruitment this summer has been an absolute farce (i suppose you could say that most summers!). I guess if he is fit and can play that will be something.
Christ, we are miles and miles off.

I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking that the recruitment has been an absolute farce
Jack Colback! on 20:07 - Jul 31 with 2224 viewsTomMorgz7

According to WLS we have, in fact, offered 2 years...

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-jack-colback-agreed
Jack Colback! on 20:12 - Jul 31 with 2172 viewsPunteR

Whats the difference between this signing and Chris Martin.? Why didnt we just extend his stay? Obviously they play in different positions but still, this is hardly an inspired signing, if it happens.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 20:22]

Jack Colback! on 20:19 - Jul 31 with 2102 viewsjoolsyp

#announcetheginge

The last ginger midfielder we had was Sir Gary Waddock so I’m delighted with this signing, even if Jack is 93. I’m speaking as a ginge myself so no I’m not being racist.
Jack Colback! on 20:21 - Jul 31 with 2066 viewsDejR_vu

Jack Colback! on 18:58 - Jul 31 by vanrrrr

Don’t disagree but Larkeshe is young, Smyth is hardly old. We definitely need some experience. Begovic ticks that box, I suspect Fox was only ever intended to be cover.

I’m guessing even lower league players with potential to step up have a price and we appear to be absolutely skint. I get the impression it’s far worse than GA realised. So much for Hoos saying we weren’t pushing the boat out a couple of seasons back.

Jack Colback! on 20:27 - Jul 31 with 2014 viewsPunteR

Jack Colback! on 20:19 - Jul 31 by joolsyp

#announcetheginge

The last ginger midfielder we had was Sir Gary Waddock so I’m delighted with this signing, even if Jack is 93. I’m speaking as a ginge myself so no I’m not being racist.

Ben Watson ?

Jack Colback! on 20:29 - Jul 31 with 1998 views1JD

Jack Colback! on 20:07 - Jul 31 by TomMorgz7

According to WLS we have, in fact, offered 2 years...

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-jack-colback-agreed

If true, 2 years is madness for a player that turns 34 in a few weeks.

The team is crying out for legs and pace, yet we appear to be interested in recruiting old senior pros in the last year or two of their career. Martin is probably next.

Whatever happened to all those players Ainsworth claimed he knew in league 1 and 2 who were out of contract? It seems they have zero interest in signing for him and have gone elsewhere.
Jack Colback! on 20:30 - Jul 31 with 1986 viewsPunteR

Jack Colback! on 20:21 - Jul 31 by DejR_vu

Don’t disagree but Larkeshe is young, Smyth is hardly old. We definitely need some experience. Begovic ticks that box, I suspect Fox was only ever intended to be cover.

I’m guessing even lower league players with potential to step up have a price and we appear to be absolutely skint. I get the impression it’s far worse than GA realised. So much for Hoos saying we weren’t pushing the boat out a couple of seasons back.

Tbf at least you know what your getting with older players
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 20:34]

Jack Colback! on 20:35 - Jul 31 with 1928 viewsGloucs_R

2 years???

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Don't we ever learn??

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Poll: Are we staying up?

Jack Colback! on 20:38 - Jul 31 with 1907 viewsDejR_vu

Jack Colback! on 20:30 - Jul 31 by PunteR

Tbf at least you know what your getting with older players
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 20:34]

The other factor, of course, is that we’re not an attractive proposition. Everyone knows we have no money, a weak squad, limited manager and are a decent bet for relegation. Anyone with other options is probably not going to choose us. Hence, I’m guessing why we have to offer two years. If ours was a one year offer and other Championship clubs offered the same, why would he come here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024