Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports 13:45 - Sep 20 with 5778 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Head and shoulders above the rest imho. Such swagger, such skill, and such a gent.
And what an honours list, in two different sports.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 13:52 - Sep 20 with 3288 viewsChrisNW6

Steve Ovett in the late 70s and early 80s was great to watch. Him and Seb Coe breaking records what seemed like weekly was amazing.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:39 - Sep 20 with 3244 viewsDaBurgh

Roberto Clémente. Right fielder for my home town baseball team when I was growing up. A hero of mine and many of my friends. A modest unassuming man, an exceptional human being that lost his life at age 38 helping others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Clemente
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:12 - Sep 20 with 3207 viewsHAYESBOY

Always liked Nick Faldo even though he got slaughtered by the press at the time.

He was sort of the reason I got my first clubs from Mum and Dad through Exchange and Mart. 39 quid for a half set of Dunlop power points.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:14 - Sep 20 with 3189 viewsNewBee

Will probably seem odd to people on this forum, but Dame Mary Peters winning Olympic Gold in 1972 in Munich was huge when I was a kid - the only athletics gold at those games for Team GB btw.

Came at a time when things were really bad in NI, so gave a huge lift to everyone. And she has proceeded to do an enormous amount for sport and the community in the decades since.

Barry McGuigan and Dennis Taylor were also in that category too, while Alex Higgins was simultaneously an absolute hero and a complete tramp, whether drunk or sober!
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:33 - Sep 20 with 3164 viewsPaddyhoops

Andy Murray. 3 grand slams in an era dominated by the three greats.
2 Olympics and a Davis cup .
Monstrous will to win.
Good call on Barry Murphy , Brian .
Jack o Shea could play a bit though.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:47 - Sep 20 with 3139 viewsBoston

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:14 - Sep 20 by NewBee

Will probably seem odd to people on this forum, but Dame Mary Peters winning Olympic Gold in 1972 in Munich was huge when I was a kid - the only athletics gold at those games for Team GB btw.

Came at a time when things were really bad in NI, so gave a huge lift to everyone. And she has proceeded to do an enormous amount for sport and the community in the decades since.

Barry McGuigan and Dennis Taylor were also in that category too, while Alex Higgins was simultaneously an absolute hero and a complete tramp, whether drunk or sober!

Had a good chat with Mary Peters the night McGuigan fought Pedrosa.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:00 - Sep 20 with 3111 viewsBklynRanger

Was a big Joe Montana fan as a teenager - unbelievable player. That whole 49ers tram was pretty special anyway.

Greg Norman for golf.
For tennis I remember liking the unfortunately named Henri LeConte. He had a lot of personality.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:03 - Sep 20 with 3106 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:33 - Sep 20 by Paddyhoops

Andy Murray. 3 grand slams in an era dominated by the three greats.
2 Olympics and a Davis cup .
Monstrous will to win.
Good call on Barry Murphy , Brian .
Jack o Shea could play a bit though.

Good call, Paddy.

As a young Cork lad living only two miles from The Border we naturally had no time for the Kerry footballers, but Jacko was different. Jacko was a Gent, and a serious midfielder. In my lifetime, only Brian Fenton has been better.

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:04 - Sep 20 with 3097 viewsAntti_Heinola

Lots in the past, used to love Daley Thompson, John McEnroe, Denise Lewis.

More recent, Ben Stokes is an utter freak of nature.

Bare bones.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:04 - Sep 20 with 3097 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 14:39 - Sep 20 by DaBurgh

Roberto Clémente. Right fielder for my home town baseball team when I was growing up. A hero of mine and many of my friends. A modest unassuming man, an exceptional human being that lost his life at age 38 helping others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Clemente

That's an amazing story, DaBurgh.

Must find out more about him. I'd heard the name, but little else.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:05 - Sep 20 with 3095 viewsNorthernr

Gareth Ellis in Rugby League.
An absolute freak. Built to play that sport, absolutely unplayable.
Did it in the NRL with Wests.
Came back and joined Hull when they were a sht lower table team and won two cups, retired and they immediately went back to being a sht lower table team.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:40 - Sep 20 with 3027 viewsJuzzie

In no particular order;

Valentino Rossi
Daley Thompson
James Hunt
Carl Fogerty
Barry Sheene
Kevin Schwantz

Yes, lots of motorsports, particularly bikes
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:41 - Sep 20 with 3024 viewsted_hendrix

Barry Sheene, his on track battles with Kenny Roberts are and were legendry and of course the utterly brilliant Valentino Rossi, his skill on a bike was ridiculous.

If I'm allowed one more It would be Muhammad Ali.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:46 - Sep 20 with 3018 viewsloftus77

Beefy.

Though I guess, technically, he was briefly a footballer too.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2023 16:47]
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:54 - Sep 20 with 2990 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:41 - Sep 20 by ted_hendrix

Barry Sheene, his on track battles with Kenny Roberts are and were legendry and of course the utterly brilliant Valentino Rossi, his skill on a bike was ridiculous.

Fire away, Ted. I haven't limited to it a certain number, as we never stick to the rules anyway!

Ali is a great shout. I know very little about boxing, but he must surely be one of the finest athletes ever, and this book on him expanded my love for sports, heroes and, well, sporting heroes.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 16:55 - Sep 20 with 2981 viewsrrrspricey

Couldn't agree more about Rossi who has virtually single handedly made MotoGP what it is today
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 17:13 - Sep 20 with 2951 viewsParkRoyalR

Kevin Sinfield, both on and off the pitch, has well earned hero status.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 17:29 - Sep 20 with 2935 viewsloftboy

Alan Minter, Ian Botham, Phil Taylor.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:23 - Sep 20 with 2841 viewsJuzzie

Best ever MotoGP lap?

Catalunya 2009

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:37 - Sep 20 with 2812 viewsDorse

Shane Warne.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:49 - Sep 20 with 2799 viewsRs_Holy

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:37 - Sep 20 by Dorse

Shane Warne.

Mark Cavendish
Johnny Wilkinson
the Rocket
Beefy
Seve
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 21:00 - Sep 20 with 2773 viewsMick_S

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:23 - Sep 20 by Juzzie

Best ever MotoGP lap?

Catalunya 2009

That is something else. Incredible stuff.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 21:05 - Sep 20 with 2756 viewsdistortR

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:49 - Sep 20 by Rs_Holy

Mark Cavendish
Johnny Wilkinson
the Rocket
Beefy
Seve

Mark Cavandish helped put Manx cycling on the map, and has almost single-handedly (Peter Kennaugh actually won an olympic gold, mind) caused hundreds of retired civil servants called James to don lycra, get on a bike, stick their arses in the air and clog up our lanes.
Thanks a'kin million, mark.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 21:14 - Sep 20 with 2725 viewsLogman

Ellen Macarthur
Roger Federer
Darren Stevens (yes, I'm a Kent supporter)
Ilias Chair - I'm small also and never played in 1st teams as a result. NEVER ceases to amaze me how Chair has become a top Championship player despite his height and physical disadvantage.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 21:19 - Sep 20 with 2715 viewsSAPilgrim

Michael Phelps jumps to mind. Consider how much effort and emotion for an athlete to win a single olympic medal, he has the most golds ever and the most medals ever. He just never stopped winning! Inhuman
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024