Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports 13:45 - Sep 20 with 6065 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Head and shoulders above the rest imho. Such swagger, such skill, and such a gent.
And what an honours list, in two different sports.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 23:37 - Sep 20 with 1283 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 20:37 - Sep 20 by Dorse

Shane Warne.

I know almost nothing about cricket but sat down and watched his incredible Doc on Netflix a few weeks ago .It was very enjoyable and informative watching him come from nothing to one of the top players in the World .
Imagine my shock a day later when I signed back into my account on my phone it had news articles about his death it was so sad ,what a talent RIP.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 00:11 - Sep 21 with 1246 viewsChrisNW6

Jimmy White, met him in Galtymore once in Cricklewood drinking the usual quadruple Vodka and a dash of lemonade.

Gutted he never won a world championship
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 00:16 - Sep 21 with 1244 viewsQPRMendoza

I know there are a few league fans on here. One of my favorite sporting heroes is Kevin Tamati. Probably most renowned for this:

He never took a step backwards and had a glorious mustache.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 00:36 - Sep 21 with 1225 viewsMrSheen

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 17:13 - Sep 20 by ParkRoyalR

Kevin Sinfield, both on and off the pitch, has well earned hero status.

Though I’m a big lad myself I’m always in awe of small guys who play games who look like they shouldn’t be allowed to put themselves at such risk. Rob Burrow for one, thought he might have paid a huge price, and before him the awesome Andy Gregory. Phil Bennett was similar in Union, tubby little bloke who looked like he should be driving a van with a fag in his hand, no one could lay a finger on him.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 00:43 - Sep 21 with 1217 viewsNov77

Botham and Gower,

and Seve, I was at Heathrow once and I turned round and he was standing right in front of me, I was dumbfounded.

Met Gower once too, lovely fella.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 02:07 - Sep 21 with 1186 viewsBoston

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 00:11 - Sep 21 by ChrisNW6

Jimmy White, met him in Galtymore once in Cricklewood drinking the usual quadruple Vodka and a dash of lemonade.

His Uncle was a great mate of my Dad.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 02:26 - Sep 21 with 1171 viewsKiwi76

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 00:16 - Sep 21 by QPRMendoza

I know there are a few league fans on here. One of my favorite sporting heroes is Kevin Tamati. Probably most renowned for this:

He never took a step backwards and had a glorious mustache.

Mate that’s a blast from the past - from NZ perspective would add Mark Graham to league icons - 100% muscle and hard as nails.
Richard Hadlee was wonderful part of my younger years in largely shite NZ side.
Roger Federer - lucky enough to see at Aussie Open a few times and incredible while barely seeming to break a sweat.
Usain Bolt - saw him win London 2012 & perfection as sprinter.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 04:59 - Sep 21 with 1134 viewsSydneyRs

The one he lost against Hendry after being 8 frames ahead in the final was sickening. I still hate the fact that it happened.
Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 05:05 - Sep 21 with 1130 viewsSydneyRs

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 15:14 - Sep 20 by NewBee

Will probably seem odd to people on this forum, but Dame Mary Peters winning Olympic Gold in 1972 in Munich was huge when I was a kid - the only athletics gold at those games for Team GB btw.

Came at a time when things were really bad in NI, so gave a huge lift to everyone. And she has proceeded to do an enormous amount for sport and the community in the decades since.

Barry McGuigan and Dennis Taylor were also in that category too, while Alex Higgins was simultaneously an absolute hero and a complete tramp, whether drunk or sober!

The Dennis Taylor win over Steve Davis was one of the greatest nights of TV ever. Unbearable tension that cracked even the usually ice cool Davis and an incredible finish.

Higgins winning in 82 I think was also amazing, especially as he was probably 10 pints deep while doing it!

McGuigan winning the world title at Loftus Road was epic. My dad found out afterwards that one of his mates went by himself, had spare tickets after people had dropped out and didn't tell us. He is yet to be forgiven for this.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 06:25 - Sep 21 with 1113 viewsnumptydumpty

I have two from different eras in track and field.

Daley Thompson won two Olympic golds in the ultimate sport as it included ten disciplines in the decathlon. A true champion.

The ultimate competitor, I have down as Mo Farah, the guy is never beaten and finds reserves from places when all seems lost. Four Olympic golds and Six World Championship golds, puts him as one of the all time greats ever.

Probably the strongest man have as Steve Redgrave. Five consecutive Olympics. Result. Five Olympic Golds. Not much more needs to be said.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2023 6:26]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 07:01 - Sep 21 with 1099 viewsPaddyhoops

Loved Jimmy . Broke my heart every time he lost a world championship.
Ronnie is the best though and a character to boot.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 07:02 - Sep 21 with 1097 viewsplasmahoop

A lot of the middlesex team from the early 80 s were mine. Roland Butcher was my favourite though
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 07:16 - Sep 21 with 1087 viewspeterlund_dk

Ayrton Senna
Sergey Bubka
Matti Nykänen
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 08:01 - Sep 21 with 1049 viewsEsox_Lucius

Barry Sheene
Lewis Hamilton
Moeen Ali
John Elway

The grass is always greener.

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 08:59 - Sep 21 with 1021 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

I have Dan Marino's jersey tattooed to my leg.

He pretty much made me fall in love with my 'other sport'. I was completely in awe of him as a kid. Every time he stepped on the field there was a buzz and a feeling that anything could happen. I still don't think I've seen a more influential team sportsman and don't think I ever will.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:29 - Sep 21 with 986 viewsGaryBannister86

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 08:59 - Sep 21 by Padulas_Shampoo

I have Dan Marino's jersey tattooed to my leg.

He pretty much made me fall in love with my 'other sport'. I was completely in awe of him as a kid. Every time he stepped on the field there was a buzz and a feeling that anything could happen. I still don't think I've seen a more influential team sportsman and don't think I ever will.

.Andy Murray (as echoed above, his achievements quite amazing, even more so in the era of the greats)

Ian Botham (as a kid, Godlike status, nothing seemed unachievable when he was there)

Ben Stokes (hot on Botham's heels now, if he wins Ashes as captain would overtake him)

Seve Ballesteros (so compelling)

Phil Taylor (the best)

Nigel Mansell (brilliant, brave)
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:37 - Sep 21 with 968 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Roger Federer - and I can't stand tennis, but he was wonderful to watch.

Ian Botham - 1981 Ashes still unsurpassed.

Ayrton Senna - Day he died, I basically stopped watching F1; I don't believe I have missed much since!

Muhammed Ali - The way he was 'guided' toward the end of his career was repugnant. Utter legend, transcended sport, not sure how some of his 'advisers' sleep at night!

Haille Gabrselassie - That 10k at the 2000 Olympics against the great Paul Tergat one, if not the best finishes to a race ever!

Mo Farah and Coe & Ovett - poetry in motion.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:37 - Sep 21 with 967 viewsCamberleyR

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 02:07 - Sep 21 by Boston

His Uncle was a great mate of my Dad.

His Nan lived down the same road as mine in South Wimbledon. My mum has got an old photo of the two of them taken at some gathering.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:47 - Sep 21 with 934 viewsCamberleyR

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 04:59 - Sep 21 by SydneyRs

The one he lost against Hendry after being 8 frames ahead in the final was sickening. I still hate the fact that it happened.

Wasn't he six ahead and Hendry won ten on the bounce to win it?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:50 - Sep 21 with 928 viewsSydneyRs

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:29 - Sep 21 by GaryBannister86

.Andy Murray (as echoed above, his achievements quite amazing, even more so in the era of the greats)

Ian Botham (as a kid, Godlike status, nothing seemed unachievable when he was there)

Ben Stokes (hot on Botham's heels now, if he wins Ashes as captain would overtake him)

Seve Ballesteros (so compelling)

Phil Taylor (the best)

Nigel Mansell (brilliant, brave)

Agree with most of these. Murray shared his era with 3 all time greats who have all won 20 or more slams and still won 3 himself plus two olympic golds and pretty much won the Davis cup by himself. A superb competitor who would have a ton of slams if born at another time.

Botham and Stokes have both produced performances that will never be forgotten.

Mansell as you say was both brilliant and brave. I was at the first F1 GP he ever won at Brands Hatch. Have a lot of time for Hamilton too, should have a record 8 world titles already, but for that disgraceful end to the season a couple of years ago where Red Bull basically got away with bullying officials into breaking the rules so their guy could win. I've not really watched F1 since, that did it for me. I'm sure the twitter "not a real sport" brigade wouldn't shit themselves at all in one of those cars...
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:53 - Sep 21 with 924 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 09:37 - Sep 21 by CamberleyR

His Nan lived down the same road as mine in South Wimbledon. My mum has got an old photo of the two of them taken at some gathering.

Bloke I knew from back in the day, played at the snooker club JW started out at as a pup. He said JW was basically as good at 14, 15 as he went on to be.

However, because JW basically bunked off school his maths wasn't the best. So when the club played against other clubs, JW would come to the table, clear it and then discover he'd lost because he wasn't able to work out he needed a snooker or two. So the club had to sit him down and do some maths lessons with him.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 10:03 - Sep 21 with 906 viewsTonto

Ian Botham

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 10:16 - Sep 21 with 898 viewsterryb

Muhammed Ali has to be at the top of my list with Steve Ovett my favourite Englishman. Currently, Lando Norris would be in pole position.
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 11:06 - Sep 21 with 857 viewsboobishabang

Marco Pantani
Favourite Sporting Heroes From Other Sports on 11:54 - Sep 21 with 798 viewsAirtomoreira

Jack Nicklaus. I was a 15 year old golfing novice at the time, when this wonderful gesture of sportsmanship took place

Can you imagine this happening nowadays? No chance. Anyone who made such a concession would be crucified by social media. Jack was a fierce competitor, but a true gentleman.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024