Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 17:57 - Mar 9 with 69716 viewsE17hoop

I'm beginning to think maybe he isn't that great after all. Is it time for him to be dropped?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Begovic on 12:22 - Mar 30 with 2983 viewslassel

He strikes me as someone who knows full well that he’s gone on a year too long and if we had literally anybody else I’m sure he would happily shake hands with Marti and part as friends.

He always just looks so…..stiff? As if everything isn’t coming naturally to him anymore and every action is in slow motion.
Begovic on 12:50 - Mar 30 with 2887 viewsAntti_Heinola

Begovic on 12:09 - Mar 30 by richpr

You clearly think all Championship keepers are perfect. Begovich had an OK game and you're scanning the whole game for a mistake or for a bit of indecision. When the ball drops inbetween the defender and the keeper - the defender should hoof it away and that's exactly what happened. His distribution was pretty good - all those long balls to Dunne on the wing were pretty accurate. When he had to kick it long, he did. Can't think of a mistake he made and yet he still gets criticized by the usual posters. I suggest you watch other championship games and re-evaluate your impression of a standard championship keeper. Plenty of mistakes and examples of poor distribution.

1. You don't know what I 'clearly think'
2. You didn't even read my post before replying, because I said his distribution was ok.

I thought Begovic was a decent (stop gap) signing, and added much-needed experience to our team. I've always seen him as a pretty reliable keeper.

But his starting position is terrible. This isn't just about the two occasions Field and Cook had to clear when very obviously it should have been the keeper's ball if he had been quicker and more alert, it's about the four other occasions balls were played into an area which should have been his and he was both too slow, and also had a starting positition that was too deep meaning Birmingham managed to get to a ball they had no right to get. This was less of an issue earlier in the season, probably because we defended a bit deeper, but now we're better defensively and can defend higher and squeeze the space he must, as every keeper does these days, have a higher starting position himself. Every time Birmingham caused us any issues yesterday (and Bacuna side, that wasn't much) it was because of his inability to sweep up. Two in the second half in particular were shocking where the ball just rolled and rolled and rolled into our box and he was nowhere to be seen. Lost patience with him I'm afraid, and while I think he's been ok for us, it's no more than that.

Bare bones.

Begovic on 12:52 - Mar 30 with 2865 viewstimcocking

Never changes much, does it? I come on thinking everybody will be delighted and being nice to each other today after such a vital victory in that fashion, only to see in fact we’re at loggerheads moaning about the bloody goalkeeper in a game we actually won!

(Ps he hasn’t been brilliant, that’s for sure)
Begovic on 13:07 - Mar 30 with 2800 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Begovic on 10:22 - Mar 30 by terryb

I thought that there were numerous times yesterday that he should have come off of his line & collected the ball. Staying put didn't seem to impress our defenders!

On the other hand, I also thought that he did very well in the first half when Stansfield was through & should have squared the ball for an open goal. I'm still not sure how we got away with that one!

He reminds me of a goalkeeper on a foosball table.
Begovic on 13:12 - Mar 30 with 2803 viewsParkRoyalR

Begovic on 12:50 - Mar 30 by Antti_Heinola

2. You didn't even read my post before replying, because I said his distribution was ok.

I thought Begovic was a decent (stop gap) signing, and added much-needed experience to our team. I've always seen him as a pretty reliable keeper.

But his starting position is terrible. This isn't just about the two occasions Field and Cook had to clear when very obviously it should have been the keeper's ball if he had been quicker and more alert, it's about the four other occasions balls were played into an area which should have been his and he was both too slow, and also had a starting positition that was too deep meaning Birmingham managed to get to a ball they had no right to get. This was less of an issue earlier in the season, probably because we defended a bit deeper, but now we're better defensively and can defend higher and squeeze the space he must, as every keeper does these days, have a higher starting position himself. Every time Birmingham caused us any issues yesterday (and Bacuna side, that wasn't much) it was because of his inability to sweep up. Two in the second half in particular were shocking where the ball just rolled and rolled and rolled into our box and he was nowhere to be seen. Lost patience with him I'm afraid, and while I think he's been ok for us, it's no more than that.

Thought Begovic had a good game yesterday, his handling was very good, particularly for that free-kick save in the 90th minute,

Arguably slow off his line one time for Field but his positioning was excellent for that high-risk back-pass Cook played at pace off the outside of his foot; that ball was never Begovic's and it was for Cook to clear and only for good positioning by Begovic that could have been an own goal,

Called Cook out for his finger-pointing before and that was both poor-form and wrong for him to try and dig Begovic out for that one.
Begovic on 13:13 - Mar 30 with 2803 viewsrichpr

Begovic on 12:50 - Mar 30 by Antti_Heinola

Fair enough - I was just expecting to be reading some enthusiastic posts about the game yesterday only to see more criticism of Begovic, most of which I think is a bit harsh. But I understand your opinion. I think he has done ok for us and, crucially, has kept fit but he'll probably be gone next year and hopefully we can get the Rotherham keeper who is definitely one of the better keepers in the Championship.
Begovic on 13:56 - Mar 30 with 2668 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Begovic on 13:12 - Mar 30 by ParkRoyalR

Thought Begovic had a good game yesterday, his handling was very good, particularly for that free-kick save in the 90th minute,

Arguably slow off his line one time for Field but his positioning was excellent for that high-risk back-pass Cook played at pace off the outside of his foot; that ball was never Begovic's and it was for Cook to clear and only for good positioning by Begovic that could have been an own goal,

Called Cook out for his finger-pointing before and that was both poor-form and wrong for him to try and dig Begovic out for that one.

This is not the first time Cook has sent a very arkward back pass this season and Begovic had no option but to boot it out of the stadium . Cook could have easily dealt with it instead it nearly crossed the line for what would have been a catastrophic own goal and probably a loss.
Not sure if the communication is that great but something is going on for sure.
However we are still excellent at the back but dont forget Begovic is under tremendous pressure with our situation and nowhere to hide.
Every other player in our squad gets a breather or time on the bench to release the tension and pressure but Begovich who faces the fire game after game .
He is human ,under savage stress lets respect that .
Move him on to his next career in June if thats what he/QPR wants but for now he is our only option
Begovic on 15:01 - Mar 30 with 2590 viewsEsox_Lucius

Begovic on 10:06 - Mar 30 by hubble

I think that was Archer. But it was Joe Walsh who was on the bench.

Archer wasn't out there yesterday, possibly Matteo Salamon you are thinking of. He was in goal for most of the player drills and the only one he really shone on was where the attacker had to turn his defender(coach) and shoot. He made quite a number off decent saves and palmed/ punched away. The others, he is just there to pick the ball out of the net on the occasions the players shoot straight.
He is also a decent ball juggler and a lot more two footed than either Begovich or Walsh. I believe he is only 18 atm so IMO it's too early to write him off.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 16:10 - Mar 30 with 2465 viewsderbyhoop

I think both Begovic and Archer will be released in Summer. Still leaves Walsh, if he extends his contract, Salamis and Mahoney

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Begovic on 16:17 - Mar 30 with 2430 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

I think if we are mathematically safe with a couple of games to go Walsh will start.
Walsh has only gone on a couple of loans, and if memory serves me right, it was because he is so highly rated they want to keep him around the first team. That Archer is not on the bench anymore (I don't think he is injured) implies they are looking at next season with Walsh to be challenging for the No1 top.
Begovic on 16:31 - Mar 30 with 2375 viewsdmm

I can't see Walsh or Mahoney being our no 1 keeper next season and they'll have to fight it out between themselves to be the first choice cover keeper. 19 year old Salamon needs a few more loans before he can challenge for place in the first team squad.

In the summer we'll see Begovic and Archer depart with their contracts finishing up and a new keeper will come in.
Begovic on 16:43 - Mar 30 with 2312 viewsgazza1

Begovic is not a cheap option, as I understand it he is one of the top earners.

Begovic has cost us a few goals this season. Yesterday, I thought he stayed on his line too much and put the 'fear of god' around the stadium. At least B'ham never scored from his indecisions. He played his part in the winner, I have seen him play worse.

Why he is captain, I will never understand and because of his experience is not a reason to have a keeper the captain.

He was not a good signing. He will be released at the end of the season, the club will thank him etc, etc and we will sign a new keeper because the others in the club are not good enough.
Begovic on 16:45 - Mar 30 with 2311 viewsNed_Kennedys

Begovic on 16:17 - Mar 30 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I think if we are mathematically safe with a couple of games to go Walsh will start.
Walsh has only gone on a couple of loans, and if memory serves me right, it was because he is so highly rated they want to keep him around the first team. That Archer is not on the bench anymore (I don't think he is injured) implies they are looking at next season with Walsh to be challenging for the No1 top.

Not a chance Walsh will start like you say.
Marti seems like the kind of guy who will respect the integrity of the league competition and is not going to throw in a rookie keeper against teams with promotion or play offs up for grabs.
Still
Begovic on 19:24 - Mar 30 with 2148 viewsMrSheen

Ruddy looked a nervous nelly with the ball at his feet a few times too. He had a long chat with Begovic at the end, maybe two old dogs complaining about having to learn new tricks.
Begovic on 19:27 - Mar 30 with 2136 viewsLanhoop

Begovic on 19:24 - Mar 30 by MrSheen

Ruddy looked a nervous nelly with the ball at his feet a few times too. He had a long chat with Begovic at the end, maybe two old dogs complaining about having to learn new tricks.

Ruddy turned and applauded the Loft at the end of the match. Nice touch.
Begovic on 19:51 - Mar 30 with 2082 viewsmart_Goblin

Good to see the Begovic thread still alive and strong .

Still the same names prepared to die on a hill no one is fighting over .
It’s very clear
Begovic on 18:24 - Apr 1 with 1821 viewsdmm

Most of us have had a moan about our keeper, and rightly so. But today he produced some great saves and claimed a good few crosses too. He might even be MotM!

Well done Asmir.
Begovic on 18:27 - Apr 1 with 1781 viewsdaveB

He was very good today apart from that cock up for the cross which had him beaten but was a good effort so wouldn't be too harsh on him
He certainly kept us in the game with his saves and handling was very good from corners
Begovic on 18:29 - Apr 1 with 1756 viewsNorthantsHoop

Begovic on 18:27 - Apr 1 by daveB

He was very good today apart from that cock up for the cross which had him beaten but was a good effort so wouldn't be too harsh on him
He certainly kept us in the game with his saves and handling was very good from corners

Begovic had a very good game today , kept us in it.
Begovic on 18:34 - Apr 1 with 1705 viewsmart_Goblin

Yeah have to say he was very good today (the over hit cross aside). Good saves and more commanding of his area . 1 or 2 very good saves today . Fair play
Begovic on 18:35 - Apr 1 with 1699 viewsconnell10

Begovic on 18:29 - Apr 1 by NorthantsHoop

Begovic had a very good game today , kept us in it.

Agree I'm not his biggest fan but he did play well today , more please.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Begovic on 19:01 - Apr 1 with 1613 viewsVancouverHoop

Begovic on 18:35 - Apr 1 by connell10

Agree I'm not his biggest fan but he did play well today , more please.

Yeah, moi aussi.

Perhaps his most commanding performance for us?

Swansea kept pumping high crosses in, which plays to his strengths I think. But even so, apart from that weird shot that hit the post/bar he didn't do much to worry us today.
Begovic on 19:49 - Apr 1 with 1468 viewsChrisNW6

He ain't the reason we have been fighting relegation all season, solid pro and is part of a much settled defence. Hopefully we have the cash to replace with someone younger and more mobile in the summer.
Begovic on 19:57 - Apr 1 with 1400 viewsbaz_qpr

His best game in months today, a couple of good saves and for the first time in weeks commanded his area
Begovic on 20:41 - Apr 1 with 1209 viewsWatford_Ranger

Yep more than happy to praise that and I’m not a fan. Didn’t put a foot wrong and deserved a bit of luck with the over-hit cross.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024