Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Begovic 17:57 - Mar 9 with 69671 viewsE17hoop

I'm beginning to think maybe he isn't that great after all. Is it time for him to be dropped?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Begovic on 13:55 - Apr 10 with 2278 viewsGaryBannister86

Begovic on 13:34 - Apr 10 by stainrods_elbow

Funnily enough, I read those arm gestures as him berating himself. In any event, it's clear, whatever his inadequacies, that one or two here just love to hate him whatever he does or doesn't do. If we still somehow sink, any sane fan will know the reasons lie elsewhere.

So the opposite of your opinion is insanity? Blimey.
Begovic on 13:58 - Apr 10 with 2260 viewsHoopsie

Begovic on 13:39 - Apr 10 by Lblock

If he'd held his hands up he'd of probably dropped the mic

The way I see it he should have pushed or flipped it away rather than trying to catch the ball with both outreached hands which he managed to flap it. For all his experience I think this error comes with him not playing very many games before joining us.

It is a team game, and when your forwards are not putting away chances, any mistake by the defence can put enormous pressure on the team.

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Begovic on 14:04 - Apr 10 with 2212 viewsAndybrat

Begovic on 13:58 - Apr 10 by Hoopsie

The way I see it he should have pushed or flipped it away rather than trying to catch the ball with both outreached hands which he managed to flap it. For all his experience I think this error comes with him not playing very many games before joining us.

It is a team game, and when your forwards are not putting away chances, any mistake by the defence can put enormous pressure on the team.

For my sins I used to be a keeper and it’s a real Hero or Zero position even to the point you can be a hero for 89 minutes and all people will remember is one mistake. I had the pleasure of being at the Swansea end the other Monday and they were berating him for being a hero. Saying that he obviously completely misjudged the cross thinking he could easily catch the ball, terrible mistake but if he made as many mistakes as the guys up front we would have lost. Hoping we make a play for the Rotherham keeper pre-season, he was berating himself btw, been there done that. He will be feeling sh1t
Begovic on 14:11 - Apr 10 with 2170 viewsQPunkR

He's played like 40 games this season! How long does it take to get into his stride?

QPR - "shit but local"

Begovic on 15:10 - Apr 10 with 2049 viewsDorse

Begovic on 14:11 - Apr 10 by QPunkR

He's played like 40 games this season! How long does it take to get into his stride?

Based on some of the games this season, his stride must be similar to that of Godzilla.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Begovic on 15:44 - Apr 10 with 1869 viewsR_from_afar

"It is a team game, and when your forwards are not putting away chances, any mistake by the defence can put enormous pressure on the team".

Spot on. Our - cough - "strike force" has managed to score a pitiful number of goals this season and as a team, our finishing is woeful.

Begovic made a terrible error by missing that cross but when your outfield players produce so few goals, a large proportion of our defensive/goalkeeping mistakes are inevitably going to have a result-changing impact.

Apart from fretting about the still very real threat of relegation, I worry that Marti - whom I dearly want us to hang on to - can only do so much with this current squad and the development players. He has worked wonders and we look so much better organised and prepared but I am not sure that he or any other manager can make many more improvements to this current squad. It is short on guile and firepower and key players like Chair, Willock and Dykes have actually regressed this season. I don't think we should kid ourselves that this current squad can be transformed by a full pre-season with Cifuentes. I think we'll be a bit better, but not a lot. New additions will therefore be key.

We'll see. First, we need to stay focused on preserving our Championship status and keeping our excellent manager.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Begovic on 16:00 - Apr 10 with 1808 viewsAndybrat

Begovic on 15:44 - Apr 10 by R_from_afar

"It is a team game, and when your forwards are not putting away chances, any mistake by the defence can put enormous pressure on the team".

Spot on. Our - cough - "strike force" has managed to score a pitiful number of goals this season and as a team, our finishing is woeful.

Begovic made a terrible error by missing that cross but when your outfield players produce so few goals, a large proportion of our defensive/goalkeeping mistakes are inevitably going to have a result-changing impact.

Apart from fretting about the still very real threat of relegation, I worry that Marti - whom I dearly want us to hang on to - can only do so much with this current squad and the development players. He has worked wonders and we look so much better organised and prepared but I am not sure that he or any other manager can make many more improvements to this current squad. It is short on guile and firepower and key players like Chair, Willock and Dykes have actually regressed this season. I don't think we should kid ourselves that this current squad can be transformed by a full pre-season with Cifuentes. I think we'll be a bit better, but not a lot. New additions will therefore be key.

We'll see. First, we need to stay focused on preserving our Championship status and keeping our excellent manager.

That is a balanced view and the right one. One step at a time though
Begovic on 16:08 - Apr 10 with 1756 viewsgazza1

The forwards are pretty poor, hence why they are not scoring many goals and I keeper is worse conceding shots & corners that he should be doing a lot better with.

Most of them will be transferred out in the summer if we can get rid.
Login to get fewer ads

Begovic on 16:58 - Apr 10 with 1656 viewspaulparker

He has been by and large awful for us the mistakes he has made you would expect a rookie keeper to make not an experienced international keeper
Not since jurgan sommer have I seen a keeper flap so much at corners
The sooner we get to the end of the season the better s we can hopefully say goodbye to him and a few others

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Begovic on 17:29 - Apr 10 with 1602 viewsNorthernr

It's the technique that gets me. If he's not as quick, not as athletic, not as sharp with his reactions etc you'd understand it, but how do you get to that shot at Leicester and elect for a double fisted punch down and back into the traffic? How do you get two hands on the cross last night and think 'punch? catch? nah we'll flap it down open handed". How is a goalkeeper of his experience who wants to run goalkeeper soccer schools in his retirement coming up with such fundamental technique based slop like that?

And, look, 'histrionics', fair enough if you want to call it that, I'm passionate about it and I'm angry. On a more considered point - our goalkeeping recruitment has been fcking dodgy for years. We had the whole Dillon Barnes debacle, you've now got Jordan Archer a senior player with Championship experience (and pay) who we said wasn't good enough when we signed him not even making the bench. It's landed us in this position where we've got down on our knees and handed over thick money, captain's armband and everything to begovic, manager talking about what an absolute privilege it was to have him, and he's crap, with no realistic back up. Even as his biggest critic I look at it and think you can't drop him now, because there's nobody to drop him for, though it is getting to the stage that unless they let us use a ball with a bell in it we may as well stick Walsh in. This is a problem of many years' making and it'll repeat if we recruit next year's goalkeepers in the same way - i.e. DOF, manager, CEO and head of recruitment all shrugging and going "we leave that to the goalkeeper coach".

It also strikes me there is very strong divide on this between the people who go to the away games and the people who don't. Without being a dick about this it's a lot easier to turn off the Sky red button coverage, roll over and go to sleep at 10pm and say "ah well he made some good saves" or "well Smyth missed chances as well" or "people just don't like the guy". When you've spent your time and money and work holiday and you're stuck in Plymouth on a Tuesday night you've got every right to be over the top angry with an experienced goalkeeper earning an absolute fortune who can't catch. And, might I say, getting a bit chippy with a fan by the tunnel at full time as well who'd presumably dared to say something about it.

I'd be interested to know, how many of those who are giving it the 'calm down' 'he's not that bad' 'over reaction' 'sane/insane' stuff were there last night, or go away regularly this season?

Usually it's the fans at the games who are sanguine and the online reaction that's OTT, with begovic it's weirdly the other way round. 24 hours on I'm still fuming with him. That was us safe last night. Reading around, there's some usually calm and sane 'hobbysists' who go to the away game who seem similarly fcking sick of watching somebody's large-arsed dad play in goal for the last nine months and are engaging in some histrionics of their own.

Begovic on 17:39 - Apr 10 with 1560 viewsdavman

Begovic on 17:29 - Apr 10 by Northernr

It's the technique that gets me. If he's not as quick, not as athletic, not as sharp with his reactions etc you'd understand it, but how do you get to that shot at Leicester and elect for a double fisted punch down and back into the traffic? How do you get two hands on the cross last night and think 'punch? catch? nah we'll flap it down open handed". How is a goalkeeper of his experience who wants to run goalkeeper soccer schools in his retirement coming up with such fundamental technique based slop like that?

And, look, 'histrionics', fair enough if you want to call it that, I'm passionate about it and I'm angry. On a more considered point - our goalkeeping recruitment has been fcking dodgy for years. We had the whole Dillon Barnes debacle, you've now got Jordan Archer a senior player with Championship experience (and pay) who we said wasn't good enough when we signed him not even making the bench. It's landed us in this position where we've got down on our knees and handed over thick money, captain's armband and everything to begovic, manager talking about what an absolute privilege it was to have him, and he's crap, with no realistic back up. Even as his biggest critic I look at it and think you can't drop him now, because there's nobody to drop him for, though it is getting to the stage that unless they let us use a ball with a bell in it we may as well stick Walsh in. This is a problem of many years' making and it'll repeat if we recruit next year's goalkeepers in the same way - i.e. DOF, manager, CEO and head of recruitment all shrugging and going "we leave that to the goalkeeper coach".

It also strikes me there is very strong divide on this between the people who go to the away games and the people who don't. Without being a dick about this it's a lot easier to turn off the Sky red button coverage, roll over and go to sleep at 10pm and say "ah well he made some good saves" or "well Smyth missed chances as well" or "people just don't like the guy". When you've spent your time and money and work holiday and you're stuck in Plymouth on a Tuesday night you've got every right to be over the top angry with an experienced goalkeeper earning an absolute fortune who can't catch. And, might I say, getting a bit chippy with a fan by the tunnel at full time as well who'd presumably dared to say something about it.

I'd be interested to know, how many of those who are giving it the 'calm down' 'he's not that bad' 'over reaction' 'sane/insane' stuff were there last night, or go away regularly this season?

Usually it's the fans at the games who are sanguine and the online reaction that's OTT, with begovic it's weirdly the other way round. 24 hours on I'm still fuming with him. That was us safe last night. Reading around, there's some usually calm and sane 'hobbysists' who go to the away game who seem similarly fcking sick of watching somebody's large-arsed dad play in goal for the last nine months and are engaging in some histrionics of their own.

Yep, I was there last night and have just got home. Great post match late night curry and few beers with my lad, but still fuming about Asmir's Amateur Hour.

Even on the way back, we popped into Saltram House (a National Trust place) and one of the guides there was part of the Green Army who went last night. When we got on to Ainsworth, I said that the one thing I thought we'd be at set pieces and we weren't even that and were still crap. He pointed out that Plymouth had not scored from a corner all season and their lads were laughing that they still hadn't, because QPR did it for them.

I was towards the back last night; if I had been further forward he'd have heard me too - absolutely ruined the night away.

Its not just the flapping; even when he gets an "accurate" kick up top, it either goes to Chair or Anderson instead of Dykes or Dunne. It is not that tough to kick left or right instead of straight down the middle every time. And he is so bloody casual some times - hence the charged down kick in the first half.

Not sure this confirms your hypothesis, but you can add me to the list of "hysterics" who were actually there last night.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Begovic on 17:40 - Apr 10 with 1559 viewsNorthernr

Begovic on 17:39 - Apr 10 by davman

Yep, I was there last night and have just got home. Great post match late night curry and few beers with my lad, but still fuming about Asmir's Amateur Hour.

Even on the way back, we popped into Saltram House (a National Trust place) and one of the guides there was part of the Green Army who went last night. When we got on to Ainsworth, I said that the one thing I thought we'd be at set pieces and we weren't even that and were still crap. He pointed out that Plymouth had not scored from a corner all season and their lads were laughing that they still hadn't, because QPR did it for them.

I was towards the back last night; if I had been further forward he'd have heard me too - absolutely ruined the night away.

Its not just the flapping; even when he gets an "accurate" kick up top, it either goes to Chair or Anderson instead of Dykes or Dunne. It is not that tough to kick left or right instead of straight down the middle every time. And he is so bloody casual some times - hence the charged down kick in the first half.

Not sure this confirms your hypothesis, but you can add me to the list of "hysterics" who were actually there last night.

I enjoyed that bowl out first half straight into the nearest Plymouth player. Fcking heart attack. I thought he was going to appeal LBW.
Begovic on 17:47 - Apr 10 with 1516 viewsPaddyhoops

He doesn’t look like an athlete to me.
He made a couple of decent saves last night but he should be making those saves.
The concession of the equaliser was pretty awful though .
It’s just plain bad goalkeeping.
Let’s get behind him for the remaining games. There isn’t an alternative.
Begovic on 17:59 - Apr 10 with 1474 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic on 05:38 - Apr 10 by Hunterhoop

I’m not really sure why there is a long thread about him or any different views on here.

The stats tell us (goals conceded vs Expected Goals against) across the whole season he is one of the poorest in the league.

From memory he has cost us points with some weak shot stopping and corner flapping that resulted immediately in goals (Cardiff home springs to mind as well as tonight)

Visually, he looks slow and heavy. It looks like his legs have gone. He was lucky to get away with a very slow clearance charged down in the first half.

We win that game 1-0 if he doesn’t miss a corner. There was no excuse. It was simply very poor goalkeeping. Yes, he saved some shots, but, as ever, they were all rudimentary.

Whilst he’s apparently on nothing like the salary quoted by some (under £10k per week) we should still move on in the summer.

I've never known such a leaden footed goalkeeper. I can't quite work out whether his legs or his footballing brain have gone.

Against Birmingham he was very slow to react to a Cook back pass, pausing for a second or two, before finally plodding across to stop the ball just before it crossed the line.

Yesterday, Whittaker almost caught him out with a free kick from the flank that Asmir was very slow to get across to, and just about turned around the post.

He was very lucky to get away with that but eventually came unstuck attempting to claim a routine cross. It was if he didn't know whether to catch or punch. In the end, he did neither, flapping the ball on to an unsuspecting Uncle for a comical own goal.

Steve Cook's reaction to Asmir said it all (and there's been a few of those his season).
[Post edited 10 Apr 18:37]
Begovic on 18:03 - Apr 10 with 1463 viewsdavman

Begovic on 17:40 - Apr 10 by Northernr

I enjoyed that bowl out first half straight into the nearest Plymouth player. Fcking heart attack. I thought he was going to appeal LBW.

Yes, if we weren't so invested, a lot of what we see would be funny, wouldn't it?

Just watched the Extended "Highlights" on the Official Website.

Begovic's reaction (and that of Cook) is quite something. There was no-one on him - ZERO pressure and he does that, then appears to have a go at Albert. Cook's look says it all.

Honestly, the day he leaves is not a day too soon.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Begovic on 18:15 - Apr 10 with 1424 viewsR_from_afar

A problem we had before we made additions in the January window was that there was no competition for places for certain key roles.

I can't be sure if it is a contributory factor, but since the new players came onboard, goalkeeper is perhaps the only position for which there is still no serious competition.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Begovic on 18:50 - Apr 10 with 1353 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic on 17:29 - Apr 10 by Northernr

Whether one watched it in person or watched it on TV, it's difficult to reach any conclusion other than Begovic made an absolute hash of a routine cross. Under no circumstances are goalkeepers taught to flap at a ball. That cross was catching practice for an average goalkeeper, let alone a seasoned one. And it's not the first time, nor the second. I wonder if the apologists will be quite so generous in their appraisal of Asmir if QPR end up getting relegated.
[Post edited 10 Apr 18:54]
Begovic on 18:51 - Apr 10 with 1347 viewsNorthernr

Begovic on 18:50 - Apr 10 by Benny_the_Ball

Whether one watched it in person or watched it on TV, it's difficult to reach any conclusion other than Begovic made an absolute hash of a routine cross. Under no circumstances are goalkeepers taught to flap at a ball. That cross was catching practice for an average goalkeeper, let alone a seasoned one. And it's not the first time, nor the second. I wonder if the apologists will be quite so generous in their appraisal of Asmir if QPR end up getting relegated.
[Post edited 10 Apr 18:54]

Well, I obviously agree, you wouldn't have thought so, but I keep coming out of grounds thinking if I ever see that twt again it'll be too soon, and then coming on here and being told I'm overreacting. It's bizarre.
Begovic on 18:56 - Apr 10 with 1319 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic on 18:51 - Apr 10 by Northernr

Well, I obviously agree, you wouldn't have thought so, but I keep coming out of grounds thinking if I ever see that twt again it'll be too soon, and then coming on here and being told I'm overreacting. It's bizarre.

Bizarre, indeed. I'm used to it because I remember folk making similar excuses for Tony Roberts back in the day.
Begovic on 18:56 - Apr 10 with 1317 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Even the usually temperate Hoopsa was scathing in his post-match review.

Begovic on 18:58 - Apr 10 with 1309 viewsNorthernr

Begovic on 18:56 - Apr 10 by Benny_the_Ball

Bizarre, indeed. I'm used to it because I remember folk making similar excuses for Tony Roberts back in the day.

Ha ha, ruined my childhood that guy. Hated him as well.

We seem to have goalkeepers I either absolutely adore or couldn't bare to watch ever again, and very little in between.

Simon Royce maybe. Steady Eddie.
Begovic on 19:00 - Apr 10 with 1298 viewsLanhoop

Begovic on 18:51 - Apr 10 by Northernr

You aren't overreacting and you aren't wrong.

With, I think, at least 4 keepers out of contract this summer I worry they'll do something stupid like re-sign him.
Begovic on 19:27 - Apr 10 with 1175 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Begovic on 18:58 - Apr 10 by Northernr

Ha ha, ruined my childhood that guy. Hated him as well.

We seem to have goalkeepers I either absolutely adore or couldn't bare to watch ever again, and very little in between.

Simon Royce maybe. Steady Eddie.

Oddly, it's usually the routine stuff that the calamity keepers fail to deal with. I always had a horrible feeling when tame shots would gently make their way to Tony. I get that same feeling now when Asmir faces routine crosses. Honestly, as the corner came in and I saw Asmir prepare to claim, my stomach churned. Something inside me just knew that he was going to screw up.
Begovic on 19:29 - Apr 10 with 1157 viewsdaveB

I'm still angry about it now, it was such a basic error, his kicking again in the first half was so casual and rubbish

Clive did call this a while ago that he was going to cost us in the run in, we just have to hope results go for us tonight and it's a point won rather being a very costly mistake
Begovic on 19:30 - Apr 10 with 1150 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Begovic on 19:27 - Apr 10 by Benny_the_Ball

Oddly, it's usually the routine stuff that the calamity keepers fail to deal with. I always had a horrible feeling when tame shots would gently make their way to Tony. I get that same feeling now when Asmir faces routine crosses. Honestly, as the corner came in and I saw Asmir prepare to claim, my stomach churned. Something inside me just knew that he was going to screw up.

Roberts...tame shot...I can feel the anxiety all over again!!

Agree also on Begovic. And with Clive - I still can't fathom what was going through his head. It's not just the error, it's the thinking that has me stumped.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024