Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong New Contract ? 17:35 - Apr 6 with 17221 viewsessextaxiboy

No thanks , let him go .
Has learnt the square root of fck all . Clunky centre backs have him sussed . Referees give him nothing and he doesn’t change or try anything new . Doesn’t hold the ball up , limited basic ball skills , can’t finish consistently . Dodgy temperament
He should switch to RL IMO
Not personal as he seems like a nice guy .. it just hasn’t worked .. IMO
Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:01 - Apr 9 with 2185 viewsTheChef

Armstrong New Contract ? on 23:23 - Apr 8 by Burnleyhoop

Easy, don’t play any of them. The stats show they are highly unlikely to score, so go for a false 9 type approach. Hodge is far better on the ball than any of our strikers and should be able to link better with our 3 attacking midfielders and potentially create more goal scoring opportunities.

Constant movement and rotation of those 4 just might give us an added dimension. Or it might not work at all.Trying something has to be better than accepting the inevitable incompetence of our very limited 3 strikers and effectively playing with 10 men.

Well yeah Hodge actually broke the lines (shock horror) to score on his debut so perhaps he'd like the opportunity to try that again.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:42 - Apr 9 with 2015 viewsGroveR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:01 - Apr 9 by TheChef

Well yeah Hodge actually broke the lines (shock horror) to score on his debut so perhaps he'd like the opportunity to try that again.

...from a pass from Armstrong.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:53 - Apr 9 with 1985 viewsDeanoMD

Armstrong New Contract ? on 18:27 - Apr 8 by Ned_Kennedys

Dykes played 70 minutes for Scotland, he didn’t play against Netherlands. Their other two forwards Che Adams and Shankland played similar minutes over the two games and also failed to score.
Lyndon’s Scotland record is 9 goals in 35 matches which isn’t too shabby: he deserves to be the n their Euros squad in the summer.

That's right he did and as I stated he was rated as poor, no surprise, what the other strikers did for them or indeed his record for Scotland is irrelevant. He does not do much for us at all and never really has, that's the reality.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:24 - Apr 9 with 1833 viewsBklynRanger

Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:05 - Apr 7 by WestonsuperR

It’s a strange debate as to whether Armstrong should get a new contract as surely it is purely down to the value. I’ve made it clear I am not fan and would question giving SA a new deal but if it is cheap enough we should take a chance that he will develop, if he pushes for too much then clearly not. Isn’t that debate over?

I've got a better opinion of him but agree with the principle: they need to set a reasonable figure on Armstrong and stick to it, end of. He'll be expecting more I'm sure but there you go.

So I would offer him one on that basis and see how he develops, but I still don't think he actually is a striker / goal scorer anyway. Played as a winger in his (quite recent) youth, and should still be looked at as that - our very own Jonah Lomu, god rest him.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:15 - Apr 9 with 1718 viewsLongRanger

I think Armstrong could prov to eb really good, or at least very effective, but I find him really frustrating now. I don't agree the service/support is the reason, as he only operates in sprint mode, so the ball is always getting away from him and his final ball is often poor, so teammates will question whether to bust their balls to get up there with him when he's often wasting possession, not finding them when they do get there. He also seeks contact with defenders when he doesn't need to, which always go against him with refs and breaks up play. I wish he'd slow down, focus on his composure and just relax.

But ultimately he's only 20, should have been a bit part or on loan in league 1, but we've needed him, he's done ok, but has a lot of potential, so think we all should continue to support him and hope the experience of this season will do him good.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:51 - Apr 9 with 1571 viewsJuzzie

Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:15 - Apr 9 by LongRanger

I think Armstrong could prov to eb really good, or at least very effective, but I find him really frustrating now. I don't agree the service/support is the reason, as he only operates in sprint mode, so the ball is always getting away from him and his final ball is often poor, so teammates will question whether to bust their balls to get up there with him when he's often wasting possession, not finding them when they do get there. He also seeks contact with defenders when he doesn't need to, which always go against him with refs and breaks up play. I wish he'd slow down, focus on his composure and just relax.

But ultimately he's only 20, should have been a bit part or on loan in league 1, but we've needed him, he's done ok, but has a lot of potential, so think we all should continue to support him and hope the experience of this season will do him good.

I really want him to do well and I do though keep thinking back to Les Ferdinand who was 22 when he went to Besiktas for a season loan. So there is time for things to 'click' with Armstrong.

I think 20 though these days is old enough to know what to do by now. Some of the things he should do, and I agree with them, are being told to our 9 year olds at youth games.

It is a quandary.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 22:31 - Apr 9 with 1434 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:53 - Apr 9 by DeanoMD

That's right he did and as I stated he was rated as poor, no surprise, what the other strikers did for them or indeed his record for Scotland is irrelevant. He does not do much for us at all and never really has, that's the reality.

Dykes was very good tonight, benefited from getting a full 90 minutes rather than looking over his shoulder on 55 minutes.

Thought Frey being unavailable would help us and it did. Also thought Smyth was an option as our 2nd Striker, wtf.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 22:36 - Apr 9 with 1370 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Armstrong New Contract ? on 22:31 - Apr 9 by ParkRoyalR

Dykes was very good tonight, benefited from getting a full 90 minutes rather than looking over his shoulder on 55 minutes.

Thought Frey being unavailable would help us and it did. Also thought Smyth was an option as our 2nd Striker, wtf.

Dykes was not "very good" tonight. Improved, perhaps, but still way off the pace.
[Post edited 9 Apr 22:44]
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong New Contract ? on 00:59 - Apr 10 with 1278 viewsWatford_Ranger

Did well for the Smyth chance but if that is very good then he’s not a Championship striker.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:06 - Apr 10 with 1099 viewsgazza1

1 - Armstrong thread and we end up talking LD. Everybody should get into their heads that LD is not good enough to play for a Championship team as a regular starter - end of.
2 - Armstrong is not as good as many think and as far as I am concerned if he is 22 then that is not particularly young. He will probably improve a little but Championship standard on a regular basis, I am unsure about.
3 - We need to sign 2 x strikers if we want any success in the Championship. That will be the Clubs main focus in the summer.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:00 - Apr 10 with 995 viewsWatford_Ranger

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:06 - Apr 10 by gazza1

1 - Armstrong thread and we end up talking LD. Everybody should get into their heads that LD is not good enough to play for a Championship team as a regular starter - end of.
2 - Armstrong is not as good as many think and as far as I am concerned if he is 22 then that is not particularly young. He will probably improve a little but Championship standard on a regular basis, I am unsure about.
3 - We need to sign 2 x strikers if we want any success in the Championship. That will be the Clubs main focus in the summer.

He’s 20
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:20 - Apr 10 with 933 viewsrbee

Signing a new striker capable of hitting double figure goals in The Championship has been a priority for many years unfortunately not only for us but many other clubs.

Hopefully under Christian and Marti we will find one but I am not holding my breath. Right now we only dream of signing Will Keane once again.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:55 - Apr 10 with 847 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Just to add to the debate, Alfie Lloyd is also the same age as Sinclair and is currently not even close to making the step up; Pedder is 22(i think)

Development is different for everyone, some like Walcott burst through at a young age, others like Dieng was a lot older when he made his bow for us. Its not a one size situation and some of our players will naturally find their level further down.

I've not seen enough of him to really give an educated opinion just echo what a few others have said that, this probably isn't the season to judge him and a summer of proper coaching possibly followed by a loan would be a great opportunity to hone/showcase his talents in hopefully an Eze/Chair type situation. That is if we can find him the right loan and get a forward in ourselves!!
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:08 - Apr 10 with 725 viewsdaveB

It was his best performance for a few months but still no more than a 6/10. Hold up play first half was non existent most of the time, nice pass to Smyth for his chance but again when dangerous crosses come in he is nowhere to be seen.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:09 - Apr 10 with 606 viewsderbyhoop

And the ball cleared off the line, before Field bundled home.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 18:32 - Apr 10 with 521 viewsderbyhoop

And the ball cleared off the line, before Field bundled home.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024