Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong New Contract ? 17:35 - Apr 6 with 17227 viewsessextaxiboy

No thanks , let him go .
Has learnt the square root of fck all . Clunky centre backs have him sussed . Referees give him nothing and he doesn’t change or try anything new . Doesn’t hold the ball up , limited basic ball skills , can’t finish consistently . Dodgy temperament
He should switch to RL IMO
Not personal as he seems like a nice guy .. it just hasn’t worked .. IMO
Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:35 - Apr 7 with 2120 viewsmart_Goblin

Some great points raised in this thread . Some pointless ones too but in general lots of sense spoken.

Firstly I totally agree with those that criticised the rest of the team for not supporting him enough. 3 or 4 times he was played into the left hand channel, squared up Diaby and the help, options and teammates available were zero. Nothing. From my vantage point in the lower school end with Armstrong right in front of us looking for options , we could clearly see Willock, Anderson, Field and then even Dykes ambling up to join him. It’s poor.
If we can’t get people to help him then why play him and it’s not the first game I’ve said this .
I did feel for him in the end, but there are also moments when you can tell he , very much like Dykes just doesn’t have the strikers instinct or that little run or hold of position just in case the ball drops there.
Big example yesterday was in the second half Jimmy nodding back across the goal for someone to just stick it in, but Sinclair was not only on his heels, he didn’t even move a muscle. If he’d tried to anticipate ala Austin, Gallen, Allen etc etc then he’d just have a tap in.
His hold up play in general is better and improving although he got duffed up a bit yesterday and didn’t play well. Effort and desire is not enough at this level and I agree that the club has really ballsed up his ‘footballing education’.

Also, anyone noticed that when we play Dykes we p*ss about with it in our own six yard box for time imemorium, and when we play Armstrong, Begovic just goes long and we don’t play short at all.
I don’t get this at all. Surely it should be the other way round ?
Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:39 - Apr 7 with 2093 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:35 - Apr 7 by mart_Goblin

Some great points raised in this thread . Some pointless ones too but in general lots of sense spoken.

Firstly I totally agree with those that criticised the rest of the team for not supporting him enough. 3 or 4 times he was played into the left hand channel, squared up Diaby and the help, options and teammates available were zero. Nothing. From my vantage point in the lower school end with Armstrong right in front of us looking for options , we could clearly see Willock, Anderson, Field and then even Dykes ambling up to join him. It’s poor.
If we can’t get people to help him then why play him and it’s not the first game I’ve said this .
I did feel for him in the end, but there are also moments when you can tell he , very much like Dykes just doesn’t have the strikers instinct or that little run or hold of position just in case the ball drops there.
Big example yesterday was in the second half Jimmy nodding back across the goal for someone to just stick it in, but Sinclair was not only on his heels, he didn’t even move a muscle. If he’d tried to anticipate ala Austin, Gallen, Allen etc etc then he’d just have a tap in.
His hold up play in general is better and improving although he got duffed up a bit yesterday and didn’t play well. Effort and desire is not enough at this level and I agree that the club has really ballsed up his ‘footballing education’.

Also, anyone noticed that when we play Dykes we p*ss about with it in our own six yard box for time imemorium, and when we play Armstrong, Begovic just goes long and we don’t play short at all.
I don’t get this at all. Surely it should be the other way round ?

Last paragraph, last game, bringing on Smyth to cross the ball and taking off Frey at the same time? How does that make sense!
Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:33 - Apr 7 with 1999 viewsmart_Goblin

Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:39 - Apr 7 by ParkRoyalR

Last paragraph, last game, bringing on Smyth to cross the ball and taking off Frey at the same time? How does that make sense!

I meant to add that too. Great point . We seem to take off the ‘big centre forwards’ then start slinging crosses in the box . Not just MC either . Previous managers did exactly the same
Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:37 - Apr 7 with 1981 viewsEsox_Lucius

Armstrong New Contract ? on 20:49 - Apr 6 by robith

I dont really get our fans sometimes. Anytime he doesn't start people start chanting for him from like the 25th minute - but a subpar showing in a horror show from the team and suddenly he's useless and should be entirely discarded???

Do you know the reason for our bunch of knicker wetter fans being lauded with the soubriquet Drama QPR? It beats me.

The grass is always greener.

Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:40 - Apr 7 with 1972 viewsBurnleyhoop

Along with Dykes….no coach in the world will get a tune out of either of them as they are simply not footballers of any real calibre.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:44 - Apr 7 with 1962 viewsBurnleyhoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 18:45 - Apr 6 by Rangersw12

We gave Dykes a new contract which made him our highest paid player so surely Armstrong deserves another one as well

He's young and will improve

Dykes our highest paid player 😳 unbelievable.

That shit needs sorting in the summer. Utter nonsense.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:05 - Apr 7 with 1895 viewsWestonsuperR

It’s a strange debate as to whether Armstrong should get a new contract as surely it is purely down to the value. I’ve made it clear I am not fan and would question giving SA a new deal but if it is cheap enough we should take a chance that he will develop, if he pushes for too much then clearly not. Isn’t that debate over?
Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:20 - Apr 7 with 1851 viewsGaryBannister86

I'm looking forward to all these amazing strikers we are going to bring in over the summer to replace our current three.

I don't get all the flip-flopping; I didn't understand the loving of Frey after 2 games about how he was so much better than Dykes, and now I don't understand really what has changed after a few more games that he is apparently absolutely useless.

How anyone could watch Sinclair's performance (among others) as a sub at Leicester and think that we should just bin him off because he had an ordinary game when starting a few weeks later - I don't get that either.

Don't forget we gave Kelman a new contract too....don't think he has even kept his place in the side at Wigan.
[Post edited 7 Apr 17:23]
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:37 - Apr 7 with 1807 viewsted_hendrix

I'd like to see one or more of our senior players during the game have a quiet word with Armstrong when he's losing his rag and waving his arms around, bit of advice/bit of guidance/calm him down a bit.
If I'm 100% honest though I'm not entirely convinced he's gonna make the big time so to speak.
As for a new contract, phew I dunno.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:44 - Apr 7 with 1759 viewsmart_Goblin

The strikers are allowed to be criticised. To call the fans over dramatic, moaners, knicker wetters (really?..come on ) etc etc for being critical of our strikers is a little deluded .
Sinclair for me is by miles the one we should have the most patience with. Seems criminal that Les was at the club with him yet (no evidence ) it seems he hardly if ever took him under his wing and got out on the pitch with him and coached him . He could have done that everyday but it’s bizarre that a player in his own mould is left to really learn on the job. It’s actually a direlection by all involved that Les didn’t coach someone so close and so raw to how he was at that age.
Scandalous.

But the facts are the facts . They are there primarily to score goals. The stats are just embarrassing
[Post edited 7 Apr 17:52]
Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:53 - Apr 7 with 1721 viewsmart_Goblin

Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:37 - Apr 7 by ted_hendrix

I'd like to see one or more of our senior players during the game have a quiet word with Armstrong when he's losing his rag and waving his arms around, bit of advice/bit of guidance/calm him down a bit.
If I'm 100% honest though I'm not entirely convinced he's gonna make the big time so to speak.

Great point about senior players . Don’t see it too often do you
Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:57 - Apr 7 with 1702 viewsJevlar

Apologies if I’m repeating others here but what I found frustrating with SA’s game yesterday was a failure to mix it up. Both the centre halves had him physically and weren’t that much slower pace wise, so it would have been nice to see him adopt a different approach even once.

The lack of goals from our strike force is embarrassing - would you back any of them to get near double figures next season - even if it was league one - I have my doubts.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 18:46 - Apr 7 with 1573 views1JD

Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:20 - Apr 7 by GaryBannister86

I'm looking forward to all these amazing strikers we are going to bring in over the summer to replace our current three.

I don't get all the flip-flopping; I didn't understand the loving of Frey after 2 games about how he was so much better than Dykes, and now I don't understand really what has changed after a few more games that he is apparently absolutely useless.

How anyone could watch Sinclair's performance (among others) as a sub at Leicester and think that we should just bin him off because he had an ordinary game when starting a few weeks later - I don't get that either.

Don't forget we gave Kelman a new contract too....don't think he has even kept his place in the side at Wigan.
[Post edited 7 Apr 17:23]

The strike a Leicester can be put down to excellent positioning and anticipation. Or alternatively more of a lucky to be there type strike. And unfortunately his statistics suggest the latter. Hes not shown he’s a finisher. I love his work rate and his channel play, but his ability to play a central 9 role is severely lacking. It may come good, but the jump there is quite significant.

For me, it’s not an either or, discussion. Right now, Armstrong is a player of potential. I’ve yet to see anyone “binning him off”. He may come good, me maybe he quote good, or he may not make the grade. But for me; he already shown he’s a weapon off the bench. Like smyth perhaps. And perhaps that may be the limit. Time will tell.
[Post edited 7 Apr 18:50]
Armstrong New Contract ? on 19:17 - Apr 7 with 1516 viewsderbyhoop

He is getting better, particularly his holdup play. But he's got no left foot, dribbling is erratic, he can't head a ball and, if a defender can March him for pace he has no tricks. Basically, gets an athlete (100m sprinter) that we might be able to turn into a footballer. In time.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 22:33 - Apr 7 with 1387 viewsdaveB

he's not going to get better without playing and he will have poor games for us as he did yesterday but have to stick with him imo
Armstrong New Contract ? on 23:18 - Apr 7 with 1314 viewsnumptydumpty

Armstrong would do well as a running back in American Football or a centre or powerful winger in rugby union

Feel he would be better at both these sports. Sprinter also.

As a soccer player he has been a slow learner so far...

The temper tantrums are embarrassing at times...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:59 - Apr 8 with 1150 viewsterryb

Armstrong New Contract ? on 21:55 - Apr 6 by daveB

We never gave him a pass to hold up!
Everything for him was over the top to chase

And that is one of the problems when Armstrong plays Dave! There is no point playing to his feet, chest or head when he has his back to the goal.

The only ball that can be played for him is the ball into the channel for him to chase. He often reaches these, but then he can't keep the ball long enough for our other players to reach him in support. A result of the quickest player starting 20 yards further forward than the rest & 30 yards ahead by the time he should be playing the ball.

What he is very good at though, is keeping the ball by the corner flag when we are winning!
Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:17 - Apr 8 with 1097 viewsbosh67

Armstrong New Contract ? on 17:37 - Apr 7 by ted_hendrix

I generally agree with what you are saying Ted. I still think a player like Armstrong needs personal coaching from a veteran striker. As I said in the summer if he stays then perhaps they should assign Furlong to do concentrated sessions with him. I am not sure that sending him out on loan does him much good at this point. Investing time with a striker coach may be a better way to go. He has a very good attitude but he does lack a lot of calmness when he gets into good positions. I actually believe that can be taught. It happened a lot lot lot quicker with Les Ferdinand but I remember watching the first handful of games he played and saying to my dad, this guy is quick but he's not a footballer. I believe a lot of background work went into getting him going. As for Armstrong the idea that he is the answer right now is just so misguided. He is a better impact player than a starter. He just doesn't have the maturity to lead the line yet. I would give him another contract. There is something there but I'm just not sure what it is yet.
[Post edited 8 Apr 10:20]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:26 - Apr 8 with 1056 viewsnadera78

This thread is really something. Sinclair Armstrong is 20 years old and plays mainly off the bench for a team at the bottom of the Championship, I really don't know what some of you are expecting from him.

I'll say it again; Les Ferdinand was 24 before he started scoring goals. Of course Armstrong gets a new contract and of course he gets the time and coaching he needs to develop over the next 2 or 3 years. Anything else would be a terrible decision, and a dereliction of the club's absolute duty to develop players.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:29 - Apr 8 with 1039 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:59 - Apr 8 by terryb

And that is one of the problems when Armstrong plays Dave! There is no point playing to his feet, chest or head when he has his back to the goal.

The only ball that can be played for him is the ball into the channel for him to chase. He often reaches these, but then he can't keep the ball long enough for our other players to reach him in support. A result of the quickest player starting 20 yards further forward than the rest & 30 yards ahead by the time he should be playing the ball.

What he is very good at though, is keeping the ball by the corner flag when we are winning!

First two paragraphs nail it, you can see this, I can see this, really not sure why Marti's not seeing this.

They were playing quick players in their defence (we knew this an hour before kick-off) so once they nullified our attacking Plan A with their pacy Centre Back, the result was the first 60 minutes which could have been the full 90 minutes if they had'nt scored and decided to drop deep.

Warburton arguably got a tune out of Dykes and Steve Clarke definitely does and he is our least worst option having seen Armstrong & Frey start the last two home games.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:12 - Apr 8 with 954 viewsdaveB

why not? He played pretty well holding it up at times earlier this season, we seem to have just given up on that
(No subject) (n/t) on 11:14 - Apr 8 with 950 viewsdaveB

Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:20 - Apr 8 with 930 viewsdangould

Of course he gets anew contract what is wrong with you.

Poll: will a centre forward score for QPR in the remaining games.

Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:26 - Apr 8 with 909 viewsPdog

Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:17 - Apr 8 by bosh67

I generally agree with what you are saying Ted. I still think a player like Armstrong needs personal coaching from a veteran striker. As I said in the summer if he stays then perhaps they should assign Furlong to do concentrated sessions with him. I am not sure that sending him out on loan does him much good at this point. Investing time with a striker coach may be a better way to go. He has a very good attitude but he does lack a lot of calmness when he gets into good positions. I actually believe that can be taught. It happened a lot lot lot quicker with Les Ferdinand but I remember watching the first handful of games he played and saying to my dad, this guy is quick but he's not a footballer. I believe a lot of background work went into getting him going. As for Armstrong the idea that he is the answer right now is just so misguided. He is a better impact player than a starter. He just doesn't have the maturity to lead the line yet. I would give him another contract. There is something there but I'm just not sure what it is yet.
[Post edited 8 Apr 10:20]

Agree. Back to goal hold-up play is an art form that Furs, Zamora and also Gallen we're great at (helped by their excellent first touch of course).

I'm no football coach but id have him on the side, balls slung into him with a dev squad defender crawling on his back, on repeat, all pre-season.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:28 - Apr 8 with 902 viewslassel

Worth pointing out that right now the thread is a bit pointless as it’s Armstrong’s side holding out on singing any new deal..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024