Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong New Contract ? 17:35 - Apr 6 with 17469 viewsessextaxiboy

No thanks , let him go .
Has learnt the square root of fck all . Clunky centre backs have him sussed . Referees give him nothing and he doesn’t change or try anything new . Doesn’t hold the ball up , limited basic ball skills , can’t finish consistently . Dodgy temperament
He should switch to RL IMO
Not personal as he seems like a nice guy .. it just hasn’t worked .. IMO
Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:56 - Apr 8 with 2594 viewsWatford_Ranger

Find it mental there are people who just want to bin him. Bigger clubs than us would snap him up on a free. I probably won’t say anything about his many pros and cons that hasn’t been said but I don’t think we’re on a position to give up on an appreciating asset with his whole career ahead of him and such potential. He might not fulfil it here or anywhere but he’s a kid and a serious club would have had the squad to allow him to go out on loan at least for the start of this season. I believe in him.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:00 - Apr 8 with 2553 viewsGaryBannister86

Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:56 - Apr 8 by Watford_Ranger

Find it mental there are people who just want to bin him. Bigger clubs than us would snap him up on a free. I probably won’t say anything about his many pros and cons that hasn’t been said but I don’t think we’re on a position to give up on an appreciating asset with his whole career ahead of him and such potential. He might not fulfil it here or anywhere but he’s a kid and a serious club would have had the squad to allow him to go out on loan at least for the start of this season. I believe in him.

Totally agree. If we were to release him or he won't sign a new contract, I think there will be no shortage of suitors. He is a long way from the finished article, as they say, but he's got some key ingredients that I'm sure someone will glue together.

There's surely not a way in the world we would let him go voluntarily.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:12 - Apr 8 with 2526 views1JD

Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:17 - Apr 8 by bosh67

I generally agree with what you are saying Ted. I still think a player like Armstrong needs personal coaching from a veteran striker. As I said in the summer if he stays then perhaps they should assign Furlong to do concentrated sessions with him. I am not sure that sending him out on loan does him much good at this point. Investing time with a striker coach may be a better way to go. He has a very good attitude but he does lack a lot of calmness when he gets into good positions. I actually believe that can be taught. It happened a lot lot lot quicker with Les Ferdinand but I remember watching the first handful of games he played and saying to my dad, this guy is quick but he's not a footballer. I believe a lot of background work went into getting him going. As for Armstrong the idea that he is the answer right now is just so misguided. He is a better impact player than a starter. He just doesn't have the maturity to lead the line yet. I would give him another contract. There is something there but I'm just not sure what it is yet.
[Post edited 8 Apr 10:20]

Furlong has been coaching Armstrong since the u18s, where he was Armstrongs manager for 2 seasons. He also then coached him in the u21 set up when Armstrong stepped up into that age group, along with Furlong who was promoted to the u21 setup.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:25 - Apr 8 with 2467 viewsbosh67

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:12 - Apr 8 by 1JD

Furlong has been coaching Armstrong since the u18s, where he was Armstrongs manager for 2 seasons. He also then coached him in the u21 set up when Armstrong stepped up into that age group, along with Furlong who was promoted to the u21 setup.

Do you know if there has been any concentrated 1-2-1 coaching from Furlong? That is a difference from just being coached generally as part of a squad at whatever level. Even a few coffees with Kevin Gallen would help.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:27 - Apr 8 with 2461 viewsdaveB

Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:29 - Apr 8 by ParkRoyalR

First two paragraphs nail it, you can see this, I can see this, really not sure why Marti's not seeing this.

They were playing quick players in their defence (we knew this an hour before kick-off) so once they nullified our attacking Plan A with their pacy Centre Back, the result was the first 60 minutes which could have been the full 90 minutes if they had'nt scored and decided to drop deep.

Warburton arguably got a tune out of Dykes and Steve Clarke definitely does and he is our least worst option having seen Armstrong & Frey start the last two home games.

What tune did Warburton or Clarke get out of Dykes?

He hasn't scored for Scotland in a year, has 3 goals in his last 16 caps. He's as ineffective for them as he is for us

Under Warburton he scored 3 in his last 16 appearances, he's always been like this regularly goes 10/12 games without a goal

He's had so many chances yet one bad game from Armstrong and people want to bin him and go back to Dykes, unbelievable really
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:36 - Apr 8 with 2413 viewsGaryBannister86

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:25 - Apr 8 by bosh67

Do you know if there has been any concentrated 1-2-1 coaching from Furlong? That is a difference from just being coached generally as part of a squad at whatever level. Even a few coffees with Kevin Gallen would help.

Never understand the assumption that a good player will be a good coach. Gallen's coaching career has hardly....taken off.

Having followed Gallen on Twitter for a while and listened to him on the podcasts....unless Sinclair needs to know that Gallen's brother was harshly dealt with, I am not full of confidence that he would be of any use.
[Post edited 8 Apr 12:38]
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:45 - Apr 8 with 2346 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:27 - Apr 8 by daveB

What tune did Warburton or Clarke get out of Dykes?

He hasn't scored for Scotland in a year, has 3 goals in his last 16 caps. He's as ineffective for them as he is for us

Under Warburton he scored 3 in his last 16 appearances, he's always been like this regularly goes 10/12 games without a goal

He's had so many chances yet one bad game from Armstrong and people want to bin him and go back to Dykes, unbelievable really

Not sure people want to bin Armstrong, although there's a view he is too inexperienced to lead the line given his technical level and experience at this stage of his career.

Steve Clarke's last must win game versus Northern Ireland he had the choice of an in-form and free-scoring Lawrence Shankland (admittedly in the SPL), Che Adams (regularly starting for Southampton?) not sure where Oli McBurnie's disappeared to and Dykes, and he opted for Dykes to play as a lone striker and lead the line.

Dykes performed well in that game as he did away at Leicester and Bristol City for us and (in my opinion) Cifuentes needs to revert to this starting line up as Frey was very immobile v Birmingham City and Armstrong was the wrong choice to start against Sheffield Wednesday (although was one of the few who at least put the required effort in).

Cifuentes has a poor record in Must Win games with Jimmy Dunne to thank for the one win in these to date.

Plymouth is a must not lose game and Cifuentes needs to keep it simple and not over-think his attack. Play a strong spine (Cook, Dunne, Field, Hadeyn, Dykes) and get a hold of the game, get your back 6 closer to your front 4 and then alternate your 10's and 2nd striker as needed.

What we also don't need is what were for me some fairly chaotic substitutions like Saturday culminating our our running the clock down bringing on Albert Adomah on 90 minutes.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:39 - Apr 8 with 2175 viewsR_from_afar

Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:44 - Apr 7 by Burnleyhoop

Dykes our highest paid player 😳 unbelievable.

That shit needs sorting in the summer. Utter nonsense.

Do we know *for certain* that he is our highest paid player? And if he is, remember, it's relative. I can remember Les saying £10k a week was our maximum a couple of seasons ago, but that may have changed.

I have seen websites quoting figures for most if not all of the squad but I suspect they are based on conjecture. How would anyone know what every player gets?

Also, it was only a few weeks ago that we were in meltdown over Begovic allegedly getting £32k a week.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:40 - Apr 8 with 2177 viewsMonkey_Roots

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:45 - Apr 8 by ParkRoyalR

Not sure people want to bin Armstrong, although there's a view he is too inexperienced to lead the line given his technical level and experience at this stage of his career.

Steve Clarke's last must win game versus Northern Ireland he had the choice of an in-form and free-scoring Lawrence Shankland (admittedly in the SPL), Che Adams (regularly starting for Southampton?) not sure where Oli McBurnie's disappeared to and Dykes, and he opted for Dykes to play as a lone striker and lead the line.

Dykes performed well in that game as he did away at Leicester and Bristol City for us and (in my opinion) Cifuentes needs to revert to this starting line up as Frey was very immobile v Birmingham City and Armstrong was the wrong choice to start against Sheffield Wednesday (although was one of the few who at least put the required effort in).

Cifuentes has a poor record in Must Win games with Jimmy Dunne to thank for the one win in these to date.

Plymouth is a must not lose game and Cifuentes needs to keep it simple and not over-think his attack. Play a strong spine (Cook, Dunne, Field, Hadeyn, Dykes) and get a hold of the game, get your back 6 closer to your front 4 and then alternate your 10's and 2nd striker as needed.

What we also don't need is what were for me some fairly chaotic substitutions like Saturday culminating our our running the clock down bringing on Albert Adomah on 90 minutes.

I trust Marti to be able to define our strategy for Plymouth - I think he's shown us that he's capable.

I don't trust the strategy of anyone who extolls the virtues of Linden Dykes, who is totally incapable.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:52 - Apr 8 with 2152 viewsterryb

Armstrong New Contract ? on 11:12 - Apr 8 by daveB

why not? He played pretty well holding it up at times earlier this season, we seem to have just given up on that

It was 30 minutes after he came on at Swansea before he managed to control a ball. Maybe it is my memory, but I can't recall one game that he has been able to hold the ball with his back to the goal.

Should we get rid of him? Probably not, but the truth is that Armstrong, Dykes & Frey are not good enough. How we get round that for the last five matches I have no idea!
Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:53 - Apr 8 with 2131 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:40 - Apr 8 by Monkey_Roots

I trust Marti to be able to define our strategy for Plymouth - I think he's shown us that he's capable.

I don't trust the strategy of anyone who extolls the virtues of Linden Dykes, who is totally incapable.

I'll let the vastly experienced + highly regarded coach that is Steve Clarke know of your concerns Monkey!

Marti is not faultless and has made some fairly perplexing decisions over the course of his tenure (Millwall away, Cardiff home etc), possibly driven by unavailability of key players due to injury early on (Cook, Colback etc) and before he had the benefit of the transfer window signings (Hadeyn, Anderson etc).

With Frey & Colback unavailable on Tuesday his hand is forced to play what I believe is our best Starting XI, and I'm just hoping he does'nt dilute this opportunity by making random substitutions too early in the game.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:19 - Apr 8 with 2030 viewsQPRConor2000

Very harsh to say that he doesnt deserve a contract.

Youve got to remember that hes still only 20, so he will be prone to good days and bad days.

At the end of the day, hes still developing.

Id give him a 2 year deal + 1 yr option and send him on loan to L1/L2 to get regular football.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:28 - Apr 8 with 2016 viewsdaveB

The whole thread is based on not giving him a new deal so yeah a few people do want to bin him off.

On Dykes do you mean the Republic of Ireland in the Nations league? Wasn't that 2 years ago. They played Northern Ireland the other week and got beat

As for Marti having a poor record in must wins games?
What is a must win game? I don't really think we've had one yet even on Saturday a draw wouldn't have been a disaster
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:30 - Apr 8 with 2008 viewsdaveB

Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:52 - Apr 8 by terryb

It was 30 minutes after he came on at Swansea before he managed to control a ball. Maybe it is my memory, but I can't recall one game that he has been able to hold the ball with his back to the goal.

Should we get rid of him? Probably not, but the truth is that Armstrong, Dykes & Frey are not good enough. How we get round that for the last five matches I have no idea!

I think he's hold up play has got better but he's rarely given that kind of pass to try and hold it up, is usually over the top for him to chase
Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:14 - Apr 8 with 1925 viewsTheChef

Got a Jambo mate who is so annoyed about Shankland not getting any Scotland game time - by all accounts Steve Clarke is similar to Southgate in having certain 'trusted lieutenants' who will always play regardless of club form.

I seem to recall before we bought Dykes we were also looking at Shankland. I think I know now who I'd rather have...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:26 - Apr 8 with 1902 viewsMonkey_Roots

Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:53 - Apr 8 by ParkRoyalR

I'll let the vastly experienced + highly regarded coach that is Steve Clarke know of your concerns Monkey!

Marti is not faultless and has made some fairly perplexing decisions over the course of his tenure (Millwall away, Cardiff home etc), possibly driven by unavailability of key players due to injury early on (Cook, Colback etc) and before he had the benefit of the transfer window signings (Hadeyn, Anderson etc).

With Frey & Colback unavailable on Tuesday his hand is forced to play what I believe is our best Starting XI, and I'm just hoping he does'nt dilute this opportunity by making random substitutions too early in the game.

Equally, I'll pass on your strategy to Marti :P
Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:34 - Apr 8 with 1851 viewsLazyFan

Armstrong, as we learned from the last game, is a winger, not a forward.

He's a winger based on pace rather than dribbling skills, and his crossing skills have yet to be developed. Close to Smyth than Willock or Chair.

I would renew his contract as he can play on the wing or if we are desperate upfront. So, a useful squad player at the moment with some small potential to be a first-team winger.

If, like Balanta, he refuses to play that way (as he was really an AMC) and wants to be the celebrity forward ith all the goals and all that, then he will end up like Balanta, dropping down the leagues.

Smyth had to adapt his game to improve his early crossing (which still needs work) and be far better at defending without the ball (which is way better than the first time we had him). Smyth has learned to adapt his game; if Armstrong wants to play in the Champ, he will have to do the same.

Smyth has proved it can be done. Dykes is the other side, whereby it will never work. We need to sell Dykes to Grangers for £1m and cut our losses. Frey I doubt will make it either but we have early next season to find out.

Time to spend next year's FFP headroom on a striker. Stansfield is one option, there will be more and cheaper.

zzzzzzzzzz

Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:07 - Apr 8 with 1794 viewsDeanoMD

Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:28 - Apr 8 by daveB

The whole thread is based on not giving him a new deal so yeah a few people do want to bin him off.

On Dykes do you mean the Republic of Ireland in the Nations league? Wasn't that 2 years ago. They played Northern Ireland the other week and got beat

As for Marti having a poor record in must wins games?
What is a must win game? I don't really think we've had one yet even on Saturday a draw wouldn't have been a disaster

He played against N Ireland the other week, he was given the lowest player ranking in the team and described as - Largely Anonymous.

The fellas been off what little game/form he had for quite some time now.

I feel a bit sorry for him really at this point because it ain't getting any better for him or us.

Re Armstrong, he's a young lad with some potential, seems a bit silly to just 'bin him off'. Appreciate he's not a natural but we literally have nothing else so i really don't know why everyone keeps going on about it.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 18:27 - Apr 8 with 1579 viewsNed_Kennedys

Armstrong New Contract ? on 16:07 - Apr 8 by DeanoMD

He played against N Ireland the other week, he was given the lowest player ranking in the team and described as - Largely Anonymous.

The fellas been off what little game/form he had for quite some time now.

I feel a bit sorry for him really at this point because it ain't getting any better for him or us.

Re Armstrong, he's a young lad with some potential, seems a bit silly to just 'bin him off'. Appreciate he's not a natural but we literally have nothing else so i really don't know why everyone keeps going on about it.

Dykes played 70 minutes for Scotland, he didn’t play against Netherlands. Their other two forwards Che Adams and Shankland played similar minutes over the two games and also failed to score.
Lyndon’s Scotland record is 9 goals in 35 matches which isn’t too shabby: he deserves to be the n their Euros squad in the summer.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 20:32 - Apr 8 with 1375 viewsnumptydumpty

Armstrong should go out on loan a la Eze and Chair but he won't as we won't have enough striking options without him.

Dykes I would get rid if we can

Frey is a squad man. Tries hard, but we not seen enough as yet to be making any rash decisions.

We forget Kolli has shown some promise but been injured for quite some time. He would be loaned out.

But really next season, we need buy at least one preferably two new men up front.

Not saying this player but an older Premier league player on the way down but still decent strike rate. If affordable, a Danny Ings type. And the other one, hopefully a Marti , rabbit out of the hat, a la Andersen but up front from the Scandinavian leagues perhaps.

It's a big ask though because there are the majority of Championship clubs in exactly the same situations as ourselves. At least if we in this league, we will have more money for next seasons transfer windows

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Armstrong New Contract ? on 20:34 - Apr 8 with 1375 viewsrbee

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:25 - Apr 8 by bosh67

There is squad training and then there is specialist training for strikers, defenders etc. How much of that training is one on one I have no idea. Presumably IF he wanted extra training after regular hours then someone like Paul Furlong would stay with him. I have no doubt that Les Ferdinand would have spent a lot of time with him.

Armstrong scored 2 goals in 8 loan appearances for Torquay, 2 in 3 for Aldershot and 8 in 13 for the Republic of Ireland youth levels so there is goals in him. He is nearly 21 years old, by comparison a heavily criticised Les Ferdinand was 22 when he went out on loan to Turkey.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 23:23 - Apr 8 with 1260 viewsBurnleyhoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:52 - Apr 8 by terryb

Easy, don’t play any of them. The stats show they are highly unlikely to score, so go for a false 9 type approach. Hodge is far better on the ball than any of our strikers and should be able to link better with our 3 attacking midfielders and potentially create more goal scoring opportunities.

Constant movement and rotation of those 4 just might give us an added dimension. Or it might not work at all.Trying something has to be better than accepting the inevitable incompetence of our very limited 3 strikers and effectively playing with 10 men.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 07:27 - Apr 9 with 1074 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Not sure having a non scoring target man upfront is that bigger deal if your players behind are running beyond him. How many times have Chair, Willock or Andersen gone through on goal over past 3 or 4 games? Not many.

Let's just get 1 more win and then worry about who gets contracts etc.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't dump 20 year old Armstrong. This is his learning season, in a pretty useless team.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:01 - Apr 9 with 1009 viewsTonto

Take the one year option on his contract. Try and sell him for money jn the summer. Win win

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:40 - Apr 9 with 878 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 07:27 - Apr 9 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Not sure having a non scoring target man upfront is that bigger deal if your players behind are running beyond him. How many times have Chair, Willock or Andersen gone through on goal over past 3 or 4 games? Not many.

Let's just get 1 more win and then worry about who gets contracts etc.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't dump 20 year old Armstrong. This is his learning season, in a pretty useless team.

This is a key point and applies to our 2 CDM's as much as our 3 No 10's,

Lack of passing & moving was noticeable on Saturday, almost at Dozzell'esque levels,

This is how Steve Clarke plays off Dykes but with the Wing Backs and No 10's at his disposal there are far more willing runners in that team than ours,

Of course Armstrong should get a new contract, lads desire is immense and with experience and played the right way can be effective,

Frey I'm not so sure although he may have already been offered a deal, but we really need to see him after a proper pre-season and again with a 2nd striker or at least with the 10's close to him, not like v Birmingham when he was isolated and 30 yards from anyone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024