Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Armstrong New Contract ? 17:35 - Apr 6 with 17219 viewsessextaxiboy

No thanks , let him go .
Has learnt the square root of fck all . Clunky centre backs have him sussed . Referees give him nothing and he doesn’t change or try anything new . Doesn’t hold the ball up , limited basic ball skills , can’t finish consistently . Dodgy temperament
He should switch to RL IMO
Not personal as he seems like a nice guy .. it just hasn’t worked .. IMO
Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:05 - Apr 7 with 1797 viewsdaveB

for all the talk about team selection, armstrong etc fact is we lost the game because Hayden does a pathetic clearance which hits a man and goes in, without that it's a dire 0-0
Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:15 - Apr 7 with 1761 viewsGaryBannister86

Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:05 - Apr 7 by daveB

for all the talk about team selection, armstrong etc fact is we lost the game because Hayden does a pathetic clearance which hits a man and goes in, without that it's a dire 0-0

Absolutely, we are so weak in mentality and everything else sometimes. Regardless of the impatience of the crowd, 0-0 yesterday would have been a brilliant result in the circumstances. After the first half, should really have been our priority.

What Hayden was doing I have no idea. Should have kicked it into the Loft, R Block, anywhere but there.

Don't get the abuse of Armstrong. Of course he's flawed, he's not Mbappe. He still looked dangerous and I will argue that a pre season under this manager and coaching system will lead to lots more improvement.

What is clear, though, is that he can't jump. At all.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:38 - Apr 7 with 1694 viewsStreathamRanger

Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:15 - Apr 7 by GaryBannister86

Absolutely, we are so weak in mentality and everything else sometimes. Regardless of the impatience of the crowd, 0-0 yesterday would have been a brilliant result in the circumstances. After the first half, should really have been our priority.

What Hayden was doing I have no idea. Should have kicked it into the Loft, R Block, anywhere but there.

Don't get the abuse of Armstrong. Of course he's flawed, he's not Mbappe. He still looked dangerous and I will argue that a pre season under this manager and coaching system will lead to lots more improvement.

I think most people would give Armstrong the benefit of the doubt for now. Give him a pre season with Marti and see how he goes next season but if his scoring record doesn't improve significantly from its current 1 in 11 then we have to do better.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:47 - Apr 7 with 1647 viewsGloucs_R

Abuse is a strong word mate.

People have opinions but I'm not seeing abuse.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:50 - Apr 7 with 1633 viewsGaryBannister86

Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:47 - Apr 7 by Gloucs_R

Abuse is a strong word mate.

People have opinions but I'm not seeing abuse.

True - yes, although asking for him to be chucked out the club is hardly nice (and ridiculous).

Poor choice of word from me, retracted.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:57 - Apr 7 with 1596 viewsdaveB

It was the supply to Armstrong that was the problem, very little he could do with some of it and thought their 2 centre halves played well against him.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:02 - Apr 7 with 1558 viewsNoDiddley

Couldn’t finish his dinner as my old man used to say.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:05 - Apr 7 with 1525 viewsGaryBannister86

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:02 - Apr 7 by NoDiddley

Couldn’t finish his dinner as my old man used to say.

But isn't half the problem that we are not giving him too many chances / he isn't getting in position to get them?

Apart from one balloon over the bar, I don't recall him missing any chances. He's the sort of player who can make chances for himself, but those centre backs had a tight hold. Literally.

As someone said above, he has to start getting on the right side of referees. All the histrionics are childish, the ridiculous goal celebrations (too rare, I know) don't help and he now seems to have a reputation where any 50/50 goes against him. He NEVER seems to get the foul his way.
Login to get fewer ads

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:48 - Apr 7 with 1418 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:57 - Apr 7 by daveB

It was the supply to Armstrong that was the problem, very little he could do with some of it and thought their 2 centre halves played well against him.

Armstrong wasn't the problem yesterday, but starting with him tells you we are going to play a certain way.

Problem with playing that way is no-one else in the team has the pace to keep up,

Problem we have is our 2 quickest players (Armstrong + Smyth) just don't seem the brighest and lack composure with their final pass (compared to say Willock) as their 2 late crosses showed yesterday; head up + cut back the ball lads; whacking a cross looks great but if you're that quick use your pace to get to where you want, then slowdown and get your head up and see where the supporting players are attacking the box.

They had pace across their backline yesterday but my Wednesday supporting pal said they lack game smarts and with that starting XI so did we.

Should have got a draw but hope Marti gets his starting XI right on Tuesday as thats another 'Must not Lose' game.

With Andersen + Hodge now added to our squad we have options on the 10's left + right and I'd start with Dykes and if bringing on a 2nd striker would go with Smyth as think he could be better playing off Dykes than playing Frey + Armstrong.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:54 - Apr 7 with 1403 viewsNortholt_Rs

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:05 - Apr 7 by GaryBannister86

But isn't half the problem that we are not giving him too many chances / he isn't getting in position to get them?

Apart from one balloon over the bar, I don't recall him missing any chances. He's the sort of player who can make chances for himself, but those centre backs had a tight hold. Literally.

As someone said above, he has to start getting on the right side of referees. All the histrionics are childish, the ridiculous goal celebrations (too rare, I know) don't help and he now seems to have a reputation where any 50/50 goes against him. He NEVER seems to get the foul his way.

He missed a sitter with that header, any half decent striker HAS to score that. There’s a reason he’s scored 3 in 34 games.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:57 - Apr 7 with 1390 viewsNed_Kennedys

Armstrong New Contract ? on 08:57 - Apr 7 by daveB

The supply throughout the game was terrible but Armstrong hardly won a challenge when the ball was played up to him: in most cases he didn’t even jump. And when he did win a few his touch was awful.
At the moment he’s a great impact sub and should not start another game this season: Dykes or Frey will at least win challenges against central defenders and bring our attacking midfielders into play.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:01 - Apr 7 with 1370 viewsed_83

It’s painfully clear that he’s not up to Championship standard yet, but we’ve messed up his development by having to rely on him too much this season because there are no other strikers at the club.

He’s still young, with excellent raw attributes and potentially a very high ceiling, but he’s skipped several stages in his development. He should have been on a L2 loan this season, L1 next, then try to make the step up to Championship.

Hopefully we stay up, FFP headroom allows us to bring in a striker or two so Sincs and Kolli can go on loan. But I wouldn’t be giving up on him yet, or judging him too harshly given what a basket case we’ve been as a club.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:24 - Apr 7 with 1322 viewsessextaxiboy

Armstrong New Contract ? on 21:55 - Apr 6 by traininvain

That’s it though mate. Fcuk this youngster’s career because I’ve got the hump after a loss today and I want to let off some steam.

He’s a youngster learning his trade at a level probably beyond what should be expected at this stage in his career. A 20 year old kid who wears his heart on his sleeve and clearly wants to do well for the club.

He’s had a bad game today but who hasn’t and overall I’d say that Armstrong is one of a a few players in our squad who can hold their heads high at the end of this season.

I don’t want to be harsh on OP but I hope he will reconsider this post tomorrow in the cold light of day.

Another day and as you say calmed down a bit. My feeling are the same but i do regret starting a thread being negative towards an individual player. Never done that before.
Broke one of my own rules of not posting straight after a game . Boy I was fcking angry
Learning all the time ......
Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:39 - Apr 7 with 1285 viewsBushRanger82

We must look to improve on our strikers, all of them. They’re absolutely bloody useless.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:03 - Apr 7 with 1177 viewstraininvain

Armstrong New Contract ? on 10:24 - Apr 7 by essextaxiboy

Another day and as you say calmed down a bit. My feeling are the same but i do regret starting a thread being negative towards an individual player. Never done that before.
Broke one of my own rules of not posting straight after a game . Boy I was fcking angry
Learning all the time ......

Fair enough Essex. Yesterday was a real kick in the bollox and I totally understand your frustration. Hopefully it’ll be a learning experience for the likes of Armstrong as he’s still young and consistency (or lack of) is bound to be up and down.

For what it’s worth, I do think Armstrong has generally improved this season and his contribution has been more positive than negative. But realistically he should’ve been on loan at a league one club not thrown into a relegation battle at this level.

I was more disappointed with some of the senior players yesterday as they don’t have the same excuse as Armstrong.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:28 - Apr 7 with 1136 viewsPunteR

I think its a bit knee jerky to start chucking away contracts after a couple of poor performances.
One thing is for sure is Armstrong needs more development time. He's young. Whether he should be doing that in a relegation battle is questionable and the fact our other two strikers are not much better is not his fault.
I defo think he's one to keep hold of, but im a bit unsure whether the best thing would be to loan him to a L1 club or try and improve him here playing championship football.
His touch is terrible atm, he needs to improve that. Difficult at this level when defenders are snapping at your heels.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:46 - Apr 7 with 1112 viewsGroveR

He looked like he gave a shìt which puts him above 8 or 9 of the other players in my view.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:55 - Apr 7 with 1096 viewsE17hoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:48 - Apr 7 by ParkRoyalR

Armstrong wasn't the problem yesterday, but starting with him tells you we are going to play a certain way.

Problem with playing that way is no-one else in the team has the pace to keep up,

Problem we have is our 2 quickest players (Armstrong + Smyth) just don't seem the brighest and lack composure with their final pass (compared to say Willock) as their 2 late crosses showed yesterday; head up + cut back the ball lads; whacking a cross looks great but if you're that quick use your pace to get to where you want, then slowdown and get your head up and see where the supporting players are attacking the box.

They had pace across their backline yesterday but my Wednesday supporting pal said they lack game smarts and with that starting XI so did we.

Should have got a draw but hope Marti gets his starting XI right on Tuesday as thats another 'Must not Lose' game.

With Andersen + Hodge now added to our squad we have options on the 10's left + right and I'd start with Dykes and if bringing on a 2nd striker would go with Smyth as think he could be better playing off Dykes than playing Frey + Armstrong.

Exactly this.

We were set up to play against their high press with Armstrong the out ball. When he got it we were too slow in supporting him. When he had one shot, Chair bawled him out and the next time he passes it to Chair who then fired high wide and handsome.

He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:01 - Apr 7 with 1073 viewsGroveR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:55 - Apr 7 by E17hoop

Exactly this.

We were set up to play against their high press with Armstrong the out ball. When he got it we were too slow in supporting him. When he had one shot, Chair bawled him out and the next time he passes it to Chair who then fired high wide and handsome.

He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

He had one shot just before he went off from near the corner flag that sounded to me like "why the fùck are the rest of you in your own half?"
Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:02 - Apr 7 with 1059 viewsParkRoyalR

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:03 - Apr 7 by traininvain

Fair enough Essex. Yesterday was a real kick in the bollox and I totally understand your frustration. Hopefully it’ll be a learning experience for the likes of Armstrong as he’s still young and consistency (or lack of) is bound to be up and down.

For what it’s worth, I do think Armstrong has generally improved this season and his contribution has been more positive than negative. But realistically he should’ve been on loan at a league one club not thrown into a relegation battle at this level.

I was more disappointed with some of the senior players yesterday as they don’t have the same excuse as Armstrong.

Great post, 100% agree with all your points and as GroveR said he + we can be proud of his effort yesterday, never hid; needed more on the ball from JCS, Cook but particularly Hadeyn yesterday.

Front 4 too easily detached from defensive 6 and as a result too easily contained yesterday.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 13:37 - Apr 7 with 1013 viewsStJude82

What Armstrong needs is proper coaching. With the exception of Marti and his assistant the rest of the coaching staff have been here for years and have managed to develop diddly squat. These are the people who need shipping out and we need to get geezers in that know their onions.
Yesterday was down to Marti, I'm afraid. Wrong team, wrong set up. Looked like he was playing for a draw at home against one of the worst teams in the division. It was obvious it needed changing long before half time and he did nothing. Marti's done a great job so far and I'm confident he'll keep us up but yesterday was a bit of a lesson for him. I'm hoping for a bounce-back against Plymouth.
[Post edited 7 Apr 13:38]
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:22 - Apr 7 with 935 viewscaliforniahoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 07:28 - Apr 7 by bongo_king

Yesterday was the first time I can remember Armstrong being pocketed like that. Sure he always has his limitations, but normally his pace and power terrify defenders. But in Diaby (I think it was) he came up against his match in strength and power, and probably from being older and a CB he was wilier. Armstrong probably was not the horse for the course yesterday, maybe Frey with his more subtle movement would have troubled Diaby more.

On Armstrong more broadly, he's simply doesn't seem to be developing enough. He still relies almost entirely on pace and power, which are rare assets in the game but not enough alone. His game intelligence still seems poor and he has a habit of switching off.. the joy he got yesterday was through running the channels, but the times he did it well, passing the ball to one of the AMs he kind of sauntered around, either admiring his work or catching a breather or both. Exactly the time he needs to either be busting a gut to get in the box, or positioning himself to work the ball into the box on 1-2s or alike.

Worth another contract IMO, if wage reflects his limited role, as his assets are so tough to find (remember we spent 2m on Bonne trying to get a fast forward and remember how that worked out!) But feels like he's 1-2 years behind where he should be in development, and if there isn't that development over the next 18 months or so, I agree he'll probably end up as an highly effective lower L1 to L2 forward based entirely on physicality, with no prospect of playing higher.

Fair points.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 14:49 - Apr 7 with 854 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Armstrong New Contract ? on 12:46 - Apr 7 by GroveR

He looked like he gave a shìt which puts him above 8 or 9 of the other players in my view.

Not sure if the players did not give a sh*t or they were just not able to handle the pressure of another critical game.Beating SW and picking up 9 straight points would have driven us to safety IMO but now we are looking at Tuesday with the usual dread .
What happened between walking off the field on Easter monday sky high to coming out yesterday looking like that.
Same story for years now once we fall behind its almost always a loss that is more mental than physical .
I thought Hodge should have been on with Smyth to give us energy and complete some attacking passes but the game just fell away and they got a meaningless second at the death.
Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:17 - Apr 7 with 790 viewsRangersDave

A summer of coaching from Cifuentes, and his team, he should improve considerably.

I'd draw a line under this season, and start afresh from the first day of the off season.

I'd be inclined to train him properly, and he hasnt had time for that this season, just thrown in to the deep end!
[Post edited 8 Apr 16:56]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Armstrong New Contract ? on 15:33 - Apr 7 with 748 viewsBeckenhamhoop

Armstrong New Contract ? on 09:54 - Apr 7 by Northolt_Rs

He missed a sitter with that header, any half decent striker HAS to score that. There’s a reason he’s scored 3 in 34 games.

At only 20 I’m not overly bothered by his goals to games ratio. No one expects him to be banging in 20 goals a season. It’s his standard of play that I have issues with. Goals will come with a foundation of good technique, judgement and ability. Armstrong appears to have none of those three.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024