Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Julien Stéphan Interview 06:47 - Oct 7 with 13072 viewsNorthernr

Annual sit down with the manager, done in conjunction with Conor/Hoopsa this year, now available to read on site or listen to/watch (free of charge, no subscription required) via the Patreon...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/

https://www.patreon.com/LoftFo

This post has been edited by an administrator
27
Julien Stéphan Interview on 06:53 - Oct 8 with 2953 viewsBklynRanger

Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:22 - Oct 7 by Myke

That’s exactly how I read it. He was VERY clear, there is NO link between injuries and who plays. The latter is based entirely on attitude and hard work. Alfie will lead the line, would be an amazing time to break his duck.


It's either going to be 'there is NO link between injuries and who plays. The latter is based entirely on attitude' and Rayan has shown the right attitude recently.

Or

'There is NO link between injuries and who plays. The latter is based entirely on attitude' and I'm going to need to see it more, or more consistently before Rayan is selected.

I'm leaning toward him separating the injuries and the standards out as a point he wants to make clear, to explain why he's selecting Kolli, but we'll see.

Good stuff anyway Clive and Connor - thanks. I'm going to have to listen back to the first half of that answer on why Ronnie is so good - sounded slightly marijuana assisted to me, but in a good way.
[Post edited 8 Oct 6:58]
2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 07:14 - Oct 8 with 2901 viewsdmm

The point may have already been made but whereas I like the idea of having high standards in training and attitude, I hope the standard of play in a match is included. If a player is unable to meet standards of actual play but another is, what then?
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 08:27 - Oct 8 with 2755 viewsSunnyVanGo

Fantastic listen. Thanks Norf and Hoopsa.

Agree with much said above.

But wanted to highlight something that shouldn’t be taken for granted - the fact that this content is freely available.

Another reason why I find it easy to justify and recommend Patreon subscription. I like LFW values on stuff like this. 💪🏼
10
Julien Stéphan Interview on 10:45 - Oct 8 with 2516 viewsjoe90

I was going to share my thoughts on Kolli, as he's not really been mentioned yet, but I'd rather mention the intro graphics - very nice!

On a serious note...I do appreciate the access and insight. I also think it's good your bringing in people like Hoopsa along with the other guest columnist. Overall there's a great range of content and voices. Well worth the Patreon fee.

As always, a lot to unpack with QPR. But for me, the proof is in the pudding. Let's see how we get on against West Ham. Injuries are the ever present spectre and the Kolli saga just adds to the anxiety.
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 10:54 - Oct 8 with 2500 viewsnix

Julien Stéphan Interview on 07:14 - Oct 8 by dmm

The point may have already been made but whereas I like the idea of having high standards in training and attitude, I hope the standard of play in a match is included. If a player is unable to meet standards of actual play but another is, what then?


Isn’t the point though that if you’re not working hard enough in training then you won’t be fit enough to last 90 minutes plus may not be up to speed with the patterns of play which is a big thing for Stephan.

So you might score one goal every two hundred and seventy minutes but if you’re not fit enough to play more than 60 minutes that’s spread over maybe four-five marches. If you’re not able to undertake the boring bits of the game because you’re not fit enough/haven’t applied yourself in training/CBA then your one goal every four matches isn’t worth as much as it sounds on paper.
4
Julien Stéphan Interview on 10:57 - Oct 8 with 2492 viewsTheChef

Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:22 - Oct 7 by simmo

You are the Russell Martin of pool players.


Moves the balls around the table in pretty patterns, but doesn't put them in the net?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

3
Julien Stéphan Interview on 11:11 - Oct 8 with 2458 viewsdmm

Julien Stéphan Interview on 10:54 - Oct 8 by nix

Isn’t the point though that if you’re not working hard enough in training then you won’t be fit enough to last 90 minutes plus may not be up to speed with the patterns of play which is a big thing for Stephan.

So you might score one goal every two hundred and seventy minutes but if you’re not fit enough to play more than 60 minutes that’s spread over maybe four-five marches. If you’re not able to undertake the boring bits of the game because you’re not fit enough/haven’t applied yourself in training/CBA then your one goal every four matches isn’t worth as much as it sounds on paper.


Yes, of course, that is a relevant point. But still, 1 goal every 4 games is better than 1 goal every 14 games. And 1 in 4 is what Kone managed last season.
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 11:19 - Oct 8 with 2417 viewsnumptydumpty

Thanks Clive to you and Conor for the interview. Glad too, you are getting more access and chances to chat with QPR hierarchy again.

Was a very decent interview with some very well thought out answers.

I have to say, Julien Stephan is most definitely an intelligent man and for a man that could hardly string a sentence together in English a year ago, the way he answers questions clearly and with different slants depending on who or what he is talking about is amazingly impressive.

His answers show a lot of his man management skills ie the building up of a young player like Leon Scarlett or a more straightforward "this is what you have to do" impression, with regards to stating all that someone like Rayan Kolli needs to do, to be selected. I think he believes a "I will show em" reaction from Kolli is what he is trying to impress on Rayan and believes this could be the best way of getting the best out of Kolli.


Very clever.


A good listen indeed.
[Post edited 8 Oct 11:20]

"Walking in a Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Whats going to happen to Man City ????

0
Login to get fewer ads

Julien Stéphan Interview on 11:28 - Oct 8 with 2405 viewsnix

Julien Stéphan Interview on 11:11 - Oct 8 by dmm

Yes, of course, that is a relevant point. But still, 1 goal every 4 games is better than 1 goal every 14 games. And 1 in 4 is what Kone managed last season.


And last season Kone was also doing the boring bits. This season he hasn’t been able to because he wasn’t fit enough, hence him being dropped too, even before this latest injury. Lloyd is picked more for being a disruptor and for his pace taking some of the pressure off by moving the ball up the pitch.

It boils down to this: Kolli wiil be picked if he works as hard as Kone did last season and is fit enough to do so.

But with both Kone and Burrell injured I really hope Kolli is finally listening snd buckling down because I agree we definitely need a goal scorer.
6
Julien Stéphan Interview on 11:42 - Oct 8 with 2355 viewsingeminate

Julien Stéphan Interview on 06:53 - Oct 8 by BklynRanger

It's either going to be 'there is NO link between injuries and who plays. The latter is based entirely on attitude' and Rayan has shown the right attitude recently.

Or

'There is NO link between injuries and who plays. The latter is based entirely on attitude' and I'm going to need to see it more, or more consistently before Rayan is selected.

I'm leaning toward him separating the injuries and the standards out as a point he wants to make clear, to explain why he's selecting Kolli, but we'll see.

Good stuff anyway Clive and Connor - thanks. I'm going to have to listen back to the first half of that answer on why Ronnie is so good - sounded slightly marijuana assisted to me, but in a good way.
[Post edited 8 Oct 6:58]


Kolli was also very good against West Ham away last season and Lloyd is more effective coming off the bench against tired legs.

That said I think Kolli is unlikely to go straight back into the team and will have to settle for a place on the bench.

Agree with your JS take that Kolli selection was in no way related to the injury crisis.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 12:23 - Oct 8 with 2254 viewsconnell10

Didn't he threaten to kill Edwards

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 12:31 - Oct 8 with 2226 viewsrbee

Some great questions with some lengthy, interesting replies. Thank you Clive and Conor.

You really should take Julien up on his offer and do this more often, a mid season review for instance.
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 12:51 - Oct 8 with 2183 viewsgigiisourgod

Good to see that photo frame has been nicely squared off...

Great listen as always!!!
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:29 - Oct 8 with 2089 viewsHoopsaYT

Thanks all for the positive response. Found it a very enjoyable chat and left feeling like our team's in good hands with Julien. Hopefully something we get to do more often with him as he suggested at the end.
17
Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:44 - Oct 8 with 2046 viewsR_from_afar

Julien Stéphan Interview on 15:54 - Oct 7 by Match82

Maybe it's just me but the reference to standards in two different parts of the interview made it seem like the Kolli thing wasn't about giving it his all in training, but more about willingness to close down and do the hard yards as the "first defender" as a striker


As Pep did with Agueroooooo...

Not that our Rayan and Sergio A are quite comparable at this juncture .

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

0
(No subject) (n/t) on 17:15 - Oct 8 with 1763 viewsSunnyVanGo

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:21 - Oct 8 with 1659 viewshopekillsyou

The head coach/ managers job is to manage a squad of disparate personalities,get the best out of them and pick his strongest team on the day. For JS, Taarabt would probably not have displayed the “ right attitude” ( which sounds like something out of stories of dressing rooms in the 60s & 70s - the younger players in awe of the seniors, cleaning their boots, etc all that character building bullshit. ).Anyone who’s been in management knows that you take account of individual personalities to get the best out of them. Your own ego and feelings are irrelevant. Warnock knew this.
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:14 - Oct 8 with 1541 viewsnix

Julien Stéphan Interview on 18:21 - Oct 8 by hopekillsyou

The head coach/ managers job is to manage a squad of disparate personalities,get the best out of them and pick his strongest team on the day. For JS, Taarabt would probably not have displayed the “ right attitude” ( which sounds like something out of stories of dressing rooms in the 60s & 70s - the younger players in awe of the seniors, cleaning their boots, etc all that character building bullshit. ).Anyone who’s been in management knows that you take account of individual personalities to get the best out of them. Your own ego and feelings are irrelevant. Warnock knew this.


You’re not seriously comparing Kolli and Taarabt? Certain players get away with more because they’re supreme talents. But you have to earn that.

I think Stephan is doing fine with player morale and engagement.
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:51 - Oct 8 with 1493 viewshopekillsyou

Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:14 - Oct 8 by nix

You’re not seriously comparing Kolli and Taarabt? Certain players get away with more because they’re supreme talents. But you have to earn that.

I think Stephan is doing fine with player morale and engagement.


Very different players. Taraabt was almost certainly neuro divergent. Don’t know about Kolli- agree that he’s not at Adele’s level. But you implicitly accept the point that the manager/head coach needs to be able to manage “ difficult personalities “ for the benefit of the team and club rather than insist on a “Stepford Footballer” personality model. That’s the point about Warnock.
I havent fallen in love with JS, unlike what I read in some of the posts here. I suspect there’s a big ego there which could get in the way of his job. There’s a whiff of the Uriah Heep about him. ( What's the French for Uriah Heep?)Maybe I’m being unfair.
We’ve had some good signings this season - credit to Nourry , but we were due a good summer signing season …
[Post edited 8 Oct 20:54]
0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 00:51 - Oct 9 with 1246 viewsnumptydumpty

Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:51 - Oct 8 by hopekillsyou

Very different players. Taraabt was almost certainly neuro divergent. Don’t know about Kolli- agree that he’s not at Adele’s level. But you implicitly accept the point that the manager/head coach needs to be able to manage “ difficult personalities “ for the benefit of the team and club rather than insist on a “Stepford Footballer” personality model. That’s the point about Warnock.
I havent fallen in love with JS, unlike what I read in some of the posts here. I suspect there’s a big ego there which could get in the way of his job. There’s a whiff of the Uriah Heep about him. ( What's the French for Uriah Heep?)Maybe I’m being unfair.
We’ve had some good signings this season - credit to Nourry , but we were due a good summer signing season …
[Post edited 8 Oct 20:54]


Your second sentence here is causing myself some interest.

"Taraabt was almost certainly neurodivergent."


Wow. How do you come to that diagnosis about the great man. Thats an interesting take.

He didn't like training - he liked Kebabs - he had a god given talent - not sure how you claim from what we know whether he was Autistic, Dyslexic or has ADHD.

Classic line though.

[Post edited 9 Oct 0:52]

"Walking in a Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Whats going to happen to Man City ????

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:22 - Oct 9 with 776 viewsStocktake

If he's late for training or completely disinterested when he's there that's one thing. But if it's because he doesn't perform to the intensity JS requires that's a worry in my view. Both Lineker and Shearer have admitted they weren't great at the fitness side of training. Kolli's young - give him a run of games and he'll get fit .
2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 17:36 - Oct 9 with 555 viewsconnell10

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:22 - Oct 9 by Stocktake

If he's late for training or completely disinterested when he's there that's one thing. But if it's because he doesn't perform to the intensity JS requires that's a worry in my view. Both Lineker and Shearer have admitted they weren't great at the fitness side of training. Kolli's young - give him a run of games and he'll get fit .


Also I think that's bollocks if we had 9 front players missing he wouldn't play kolli if he wasn't showing it in training. Your gonna have a very short shelf life as a coach if that's your stand , football unfortunately is a business and having principles don't come into it , so I think that statement was just lip service.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

2
Julien Stéphan Interview on 00:32 - Oct 10 with 344 viewswombat

Julien Stéphan Interview on 13:22 - Oct 9 by Stocktake

If he's late for training or completely disinterested when he's there that's one thing. But if it's because he doesn't perform to the intensity JS requires that's a worry in my view. Both Lineker and Shearer have admitted they weren't great at the fitness side of training. Kolli's young - give him a run of games and he'll get fit .


He’s had runs before he don’t get fit in fact he did the opposite he played four or five games then funnily was injured again , and repeat

Poll: which is your favouite foot

0
Julien Stéphan Interview on 01:11 - Oct 10 with 305 viewsnix

Julien Stéphan Interview on 20:51 - Oct 8 by hopekillsyou

Very different players. Taraabt was almost certainly neuro divergent. Don’t know about Kolli- agree that he’s not at Adele’s level. But you implicitly accept the point that the manager/head coach needs to be able to manage “ difficult personalities “ for the benefit of the team and club rather than insist on a “Stepford Footballer” personality model. That’s the point about Warnock.
I havent fallen in love with JS, unlike what I read in some of the posts here. I suspect there’s a big ego there which could get in the way of his job. There’s a whiff of the Uriah Heep about him. ( What's the French for Uriah Heep?)Maybe I’m being unfair.
We’ve had some good signings this season - credit to Nourry , but we were due a good summer signing season …
[Post edited 8 Oct 20:54]


I wasn’t disagreeing with the point about managing difficult personalities. I just think it’s ridiculous to think that Warnock would’ve made the same allowances for Kolli as he did for Adel.

I don’t think Stephan thinks they have to be Stepford Footballers - where’s he ever said anything iike that? But any manager expects their young players to work hard in training. More experienced players who’ve shown their abilities and have less to learn will get away with more. But he’s managed to get on with players as disparate as Mbengue, Dunne, Madsen and Smythy and they all seem to respect him so that’s good enough for me.

I don’t see JS as having a bigger ego than NW. And I’m a bit confused that he’s being accused of having too big an ego and being faux humble at the same time.

But we all have our opinions which is fine. I’m more worried about someone pinching him than whether he’s good enough for us but then I’m still weary about the recent Beale, Critchley and Ainsworth triumvirate that nearly pushed me over the edge. JS is a breath of fresh air in comparison.
1
Julien Stéphan Interview on 07:24 - Oct 10 with 210 viewsStocktake

Julien Stéphan Interview on 00:32 - Oct 10 by wombat

He’s had runs before he don’t get fit in fact he did the opposite he played four or five games then funnily was injured again , and repeat


Young players are often injury prone for various reasons. Only way to find out if he's grown out of that is to play him. Thought it was poor from Stefan to select him from nowhere against a side like west ham when he's not been on the bench previous games .
0
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026