Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True 01:43 - Mar 6 with 5743 viewsEmpireStateRanger

The gaffer is now such a polarizing topic. But I think it's more nuanced than simply "he's the one to keep building QPR" or "he ruined our season and needs to leave W12 ASAP".

He could possibly be the one that we build with. There is real growth at the club on and off the field. We're recruiting well, building assets to sell, and giving fans something to cheer about. We have an actual recruiting policy that matches his system and ideals, and despite our form, we're still in fifth place with 3/4 of the season gone. I'm a relatively new fan of the club, but I feel as good about QPR as I have during my time as a fan (my previous high was after Cameron to Wszołek against Villa 3.5 seasons ago).

But he can also be one of the main reasons why we've botched our promotion push, and he ultimately needs to learn from this. From the false 9 at Blackburn, to pulling Willock today while chasing a game we needed to have, some of his decisions have been baffling at best, and very poor at worst. We didn't go after a striker even after the board offered, but added Hendrick, and what's happened since? We can't score goals and our strength in midfield has vanished. Why are we playing Hendrick over our own players, I'll never know why.

In this day and age, I know we have to rush to convictions and stick by them so strongly, but I'd rather we wait until the end of the season before we start. The fact is, out of our remaining 11 games, 5 of them are essentially six pointers. Let's see what happens.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 09:58 - Mar 6 with 3939 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Every manager has a shelf life; he's reached the end of his here. It's not just the results over the last month; it's the performances and the decisions. Turning down a striker; playing without one and packing the team with defensive midfielders; having 'favourites'; doing nothing yesterday when it was clear the game was slipping away. I also don't think we play particularly entertaining football - we're slow and spend 90% of the game playing it sideways and backwards.

Unfortunately, I doubt the powers that be have scoured the planet looking for a bright, forward-thinking coach as his replacement. Tim Sherwood, anyone?
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 14:49 - Mar 6 with 3830 viewsvanrrrr

I always assumed Eustace turned down the Swansea job on the promise of taking over from Warbs eventually?
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:56 - Mar 6 with 3770 viewsPinnerPaul

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 09:58 - Mar 6 by Wegerles_Stairs

Every manager has a shelf life; he's reached the end of his here. It's not just the results over the last month; it's the performances and the decisions. Turning down a striker; playing without one and packing the team with defensive midfielders; having 'favourites'; doing nothing yesterday when it was clear the game was slipping away. I also don't think we play particularly entertaining football - we're slow and spend 90% of the game playing it sideways and backwards.

Unfortunately, I doubt the powers that be have scoured the planet looking for a bright, forward-thinking coach as his replacement. Tim Sherwood, anyone?

Lets not get into another argument, and although I don't agree with all your assertions, let's assume for now that you are correct - BUT, as you say its just ONE month, v 13 months of very good results, performances, recruitment, development etc

Genuine question, and its not having a go because other football clubs have done the same, but do you think one bad month IS justification for change?
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 18:34 - Mar 6 with 3695 viewsbosh67

Despite the recent dip in form and results Mark is the best thing to happen to this club in years. Overall, we have improved year on year, hopefully our position at the end of the season will still reflect that. Personally, I have been surprised that we have been in the play off positions for as long as we have been given our budget and the size of the squad. I've always thought that with the right ins and out at the end of this season that next would be the crucial one. Mark and John have been excellent. We play much better football, have a better squad, better finances and a manager and backroom given seasons, not a handful of games to create something special. This season may fall away but if we keep Mark and John at the helm for a good few more seasons to come I suspect we will be challenging to go up and be in far better condition when we do. Southampton play some lovely stuff and then get battered every so often but they have stuck with Hasenhüttl and generally they are also in much better shape. Similar game stats to Mark. We need to stick and do everything we can to stick with Mark and the backroom team. Whatever happens this season, it is all getting better, although it's easy not to think so on a bad run.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2022 18:35]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 19:53 - Mar 6 with 3591 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 15:56 - Mar 6 by PinnerPaul

Lets not get into another argument, and although I don't agree with all your assertions, let's assume for now that you are correct - BUT, as you say its just ONE month, v 13 months of very good results, performances, recruitment, development etc

Genuine question, and its not having a go because other football clubs have done the same, but do you think one bad month IS justification for change?

All successful clubs know when it's time for a change. Personally, I feel this season would be the right time; I have zero faith in Warburton's ability to take us to the next level, unfortunately. He's done a great job but the last month has shown why Brentford got rid of him - I'd be interested to hear what the Brentford fans on here think of our current malaise. The drop-off has been so great that it's hard to have any faith in him going forwards - I thought his game management yesterday was absolutely dire - and that's why I'm hoping he goes at the end of the season. Of course, others will have the opposite opinion, which is absolutely fine.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 20:00 - Mar 6 with 3579 viewsqueensparker

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 19:53 - Mar 6 by Wegerles_Stairs

All successful clubs know when it's time for a change. Personally, I feel this season would be the right time; I have zero faith in Warburton's ability to take us to the next level, unfortunately. He's done a great job but the last month has shown why Brentford got rid of him - I'd be interested to hear what the Brentford fans on here think of our current malaise. The drop-off has been so great that it's hard to have any faith in him going forwards - I thought his game management yesterday was absolutely dire - and that's why I'm hoping he goes at the end of the season. Of course, others will have the opposite opinion, which is absolutely fine.

I’d say the complete opposite - most successful clubs don’t look to change all the time but stick to their guns over a long period, through the tough times as well as the good.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 21:38 - Mar 6 with 3509 viewsPunteR

Changing managers at crucial times has never worked at QPR.
Big test for MW but he's more than capable to get us through this blip.
And lets be honest, no one really thought we would be getting promoted this season so im not sure why the upheaval of sacking MW now is essential.
Another season in the championship wont hurt us. We're still making steady progress on and off the field despite this run of poor results.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 21:54 - Mar 6 with 3474 viewsDamo1962

If we lose more than half the remaining matches(which on current form looks likely) - it will be hard to make a case for him. And as much as everyone goes on about how great our player acquisitions have been since he arrived, we still have a some who perplex me. We seem to have a lot of unfit,slow players who have been found out at the business end of the season. More youth and pace please Rangers...whoever is in charge.
Login to get fewer ads

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 22:02 - Mar 6 with 3463 viewsdaveB

blimey it's amazing how quickly things change.

Couple of bits from me, he didn't play a false 9 at Blackburn he played a front 2 of Chair and Willock. Taking Willock off yesterday also didn't cost us the game, we were already losing at that stage and Willock was struggling to get involved, I'd have kept him on but not sure the result would have been any different

We're obviously struggling but for me we need to win 6 games to make the playoffs and despite recent results and performances that's not impossible
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 22:57 - Mar 6 with 3396 viewsCamberleyR

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 09:58 - Mar 6 by Wegerles_Stairs

Sorry, with all due due respect, you're talking absolute shite.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 01:35 - Mar 7 with 3315 viewsstainrods_elbow

I don't know what to make of Warburton and his coaching staff, or this team, anymore. In my book, he was hanging onto his job by his fingertips at the turn of 2021, was saved by the arrival of his trio of loans, and took the side on a terrific run that rightly and reasonably had us all excited about a playoff tilt this campaign. This season, despite one or two blips, we played so impressively till Xmas, until, around a year later, the wheels seem to have come off again, our swashes have buckled, and our spirit seems to be one of defeatism and desolation. It just baffles me.

Perhaps it's not baffling, with the analysis we've all been engaging in. Possibly converted into a complacent version of himself by his cosy contract back at lil ol' QPR, perhaps just getting (prematurelly) old, Chaz appears frankly shot - if he were a horse, he probably would be. Johansen is a shadow of the player he was and seems to have retreated into some kind of defensive screener. Willock has been found out, is getting kicked out of games, or has just lost his mojo. Dykes' injuries, illnesses or whatever else are frankly becoming tedious, and then we does play, we never seem set up (Reading excepted) to play to his limited but potentially effective strengths. Chair, and the team with Chair in it, is simply not sparking, post-AFCON. Our goalkeeper's now out for a month, and our hitherto excellent 2nd choice now appears to be descending into almost Lumley-esque levels of fallibility. Gray has seriously and serially underwhelmed. Thomas and Ball are willing, but limited. Hendrick is decent, but seems to have dislodged Amos, possibly destablised the camp, and adds next to nothing to our attacking threat. And, to cap it all, officials dump us out of the Cup, aid and abet our opponents on a regular basis, and seem to be conspiring to entrench our demise. If QPR were water, the Champ is turning into our plughole. Where do we go from here?

This has been going on for weeks now, and Warburton says the same thing about our moving the ball too slowly, being leggy and lethargic, and yet seems powerless to change it. It's take him three quarters of the season to accept it never works for us playing with (any) two strikers, who aren't good enough individually and/or well coached enough to play together in any remotely coordinated way, so now we've started playing without a striker of late and finding another way to lose. We apparently don't have a single other raw forward in the U23s who's good enough to sit on the bench and are unable/unwilling to bring in any loan attacker who could at least offer the team physical fitness, commitment and a goal threat that would improve on what we have, which could hardly be hard. All in all, as well-starred as our promo push was looking, it now looks astrally ill.

Sadly and ominously, but understandably, the fans also seem to have lost some love, faith and voice, which to me is the team's fault. The players' lack of bottle, bravery, industry, and responsibility is contagious. We deserve better from the whole staff.

So, there we have it. I admire Warburton, but fear he's been found out. I credit his commitment, but question his talent. Warburton in, Warburton out. My name is Stainrod's Elbow, and I'm a schizophrenic.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 02:39 - Mar 7 with 3294 viewsDamo1962

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 01:35 - Mar 7 by stainrods_elbow

I don't know what to make of Warburton and his coaching staff, or this team, anymore. In my book, he was hanging onto his job by his fingertips at the turn of 2021, was saved by the arrival of his trio of loans, and took the side on a terrific run that rightly and reasonably had us all excited about a playoff tilt this campaign. This season, despite one or two blips, we played so impressively till Xmas, until, around a year later, the wheels seem to have come off again, our swashes have buckled, and our spirit seems to be one of defeatism and desolation. It just baffles me.

Perhaps it's not baffling, with the analysis we've all been engaging in. Possibly converted into a complacent version of himself by his cosy contract back at lil ol' QPR, perhaps just getting (prematurelly) old, Chaz appears frankly shot - if he were a horse, he probably would be. Johansen is a shadow of the player he was and seems to have retreated into some kind of defensive screener. Willock has been found out, is getting kicked out of games, or has just lost his mojo. Dykes' injuries, illnesses or whatever else are frankly becoming tedious, and then we does play, we never seem set up (Reading excepted) to play to his limited but potentially effective strengths. Chair, and the team with Chair in it, is simply not sparking, post-AFCON. Our goalkeeper's now out for a month, and our hitherto excellent 2nd choice now appears to be descending into almost Lumley-esque levels of fallibility. Gray has seriously and serially underwhelmed. Thomas and Ball are willing, but limited. Hendrick is decent, but seems to have dislodged Amos, possibly destablised the camp, and adds next to nothing to our attacking threat. And, to cap it all, officials dump us out of the Cup, aid and abet our opponents on a regular basis, and seem to be conspiring to entrench our demise. If QPR were water, the Champ is turning into our plughole. Where do we go from here?

This has been going on for weeks now, and Warburton says the same thing about our moving the ball too slowly, being leggy and lethargic, and yet seems powerless to change it. It's take him three quarters of the season to accept it never works for us playing with (any) two strikers, who aren't good enough individually and/or well coached enough to play together in any remotely coordinated way, so now we've started playing without a striker of late and finding another way to lose. We apparently don't have a single other raw forward in the U23s who's good enough to sit on the bench and are unable/unwilling to bring in any loan attacker who could at least offer the team physical fitness, commitment and a goal threat that would improve on what we have, which could hardly be hard. All in all, as well-starred as our promo push was looking, it now looks astrally ill.

Sadly and ominously, but understandably, the fans also seem to have lost some love, faith and voice, which to me is the team's fault. The players' lack of bottle, bravery, industry, and responsibility is contagious. We deserve better from the whole staff.

So, there we have it. I admire Warburton, but fear he's been found out. I credit his commitment, but question his talent. Warburton in, Warburton out. My name is Stainrod's Elbow, and I'm a schizophrenic.

Exhausting...but very good analasys. Can't disagree with any of it👍
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 06:12 - Mar 7 with 3251 viewsCamberleyR

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 01:35 - Mar 7 by stainrods_elbow

"We apparently don't have a single other raw forward in the U23s who's good enough to sit on the bench and are unable/unwilling to bring in any loan attacker"

Unless you meant during January, loans can only be brought in during the transfer window...
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 6:14]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 08:25 - Mar 7 with 3169 viewsstevec

As the old legs run out of steam so does our form.

As Albert, Johansen, Austin and Wallace falter it’s frightening how quickly we are slipping back into the Aug-Dec 20 disorganisation.

I was hoping that, when that inevitably happened, the other players might have learned from them over the last 12 months and step up. Seems that may not be the case.

Do admire how MW has set up our style of play, it’s been good to watch, but it does heavily rely on specialist players rather than all rounders and I fear that means we will be recruiting from a very narrow market. Could be tough for him next season.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 08:39 - Mar 7 with 3158 viewsozexile

I'll be mightily disappointed if he's not here in August. Think it will be a huge backward step to punt him.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 08:58 - Mar 7 with 3139 viewsToast_R

Well it's only this season really that he hasn't had to start the season with a blank canvass after off-loading dead wood and selling the assets. Signing a host of new players at bargain basement prices is very difficult. Lets be honest, the club's position progressed every season he's been here. If we miss out on the playoffs it will sting for a few weeks but then just being involved in the playoff picture is a huge step up in where the club is. Talk of him running his shelf life is utter madness. Who the hell would do a better job with the clubs stretched budget?

And this interpretation that he decided not to sign a striker in January is for the birds. The club couldnt afford it, it would have breached the FFP budget. Simple as that.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 09:37 - Mar 7 with 3086 viewsswitchingcode

First of all we didn’t get rid of him as been discussed many times on here.He did very well after taking over what was a decent squad from Rosler when he left us for Wigan and in fairness he was very much involved in that squad as he was director of football during that time.It was his decision to leave after he was told he would be reporting to 2 DoFs at the start of the following season.
His leaving split the fans as many took his side ( I wasn’t one of them )as much as I am not a fan of his I think he’s done a good job with what he’s had to work in regards to budget.Surprised he didn’t sign younger players in the summer as he is very good at improving raw talent.Dispite being on a poor run your still in the play offs would have thought it’s the time to get behind your team and moan at the end of the season if you don’t go up.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:08 - Mar 7 with 3026 viewsRangersw12

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 09:37 - Mar 7 by switchingcode

First of all we didn’t get rid of him as been discussed many times on here.He did very well after taking over what was a decent squad from Rosler when he left us for Wigan and in fairness he was very much involved in that squad as he was director of football during that time.It was his decision to leave after he was told he would be reporting to 2 DoFs at the start of the following season.
His leaving split the fans as many took his side ( I wasn’t one of them )as much as I am not a fan of his I think he’s done a good job with what he’s had to work in regards to budget.Surprised he didn’t sign younger players in the summer as he is very good at improving raw talent.Dispite being on a poor run your still in the play offs would have thought it’s the time to get behind your team and moan at the end of the season if you don’t go up.

"Dispite being on a poor run your still in the play offs would have thought it’s the time to get behind your team and moan at the end of the season if you don’t go up."

Half the people on here don't go so the moaning isn't a true reflection of what it's like in the ground ( or where I sit anyway)
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:15 - Mar 7 with 3010 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:08 - Mar 7 by Rangersw12

"Dispite being on a poor run your still in the play offs would have thought it’s the time to get behind your team and moan at the end of the season if you don’t go up."

Half the people on here don't go so the moaning isn't a true reflection of what it's like in the ground ( or where I sit anyway)

Good to hear.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:33 - Mar 7 with 2970 viewsBurnleyhoop

“Why are we playing Hendrick instead of our own players”
1. Johansen is becoming frustratingly unavailable despite being rested regularly
2. Dozzell has potential, but is naïve at this level and will often go missing in games.
3. Hendrick is proven at this level and the one above, but has admittedly, not hit the ground running in terms of the way we prefer to play the game. He must get a grip quickly.
4. Willock had a great first half on Saturday, but became more isolated as we dropped deeper and deeper and gave up the midfield areas. Unless we remain compact and provide bodies around him, he loses his effectiveness.
5. We have 12 games left to secure a play off spot and have lost our mojo. Throwing development prospects on to recover the situation is unlikely to help the situation. Their time will come.

I believe Warburton and the club are doing a fantastic job. I was delighted with Warburtons response on Saturday. He was rightly furious with our second half performance and shows the standards he expects from the team and he will no doubt be expressing those feelings this coming week during training.

If ever there was a time to call out the manger and players. This is absolutely not it.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:54 - Mar 7 with 2934 viewsdannyblue

Warburton's doing a fantastic job and we're overachieving.

It's a shame our form has been 2nd half of one season and 1st half of another - because it's a whole season's worth of great form but we don't get the promotion benefit. If someone could work out the points total of the 46 games until the end of January I'm sure it would be close to automatic promotion form.

Football is alchemy and how it's changed after ACON and Jeff's arrival is difficult to understand. I think they're red herrings coincident with the change rather than causing the change. I explain it this way. Through a season analysts get a good idea of how to block a team's strengths and that has happened to us: keep the middle tight, let the centrebacks have the ball, pick us off on the turnover. We haven't readapted yet. Plus weariness.

I do think this season will fizzle out now, but if we keep our cool we'll be even stronger next season. Warbs is a thinker and will learn and build, and I expect us to trade to a better squad.

IWWT.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 11:28 - Mar 7 with 2894 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:08 - Mar 7 by Rangersw12

I'm a season ticket holder. Can't say the mood was particularly positive at 4.50 on Saturday.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 11:54 - Mar 7 with 2845 viewsRangersw12

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 11:28 - Mar 7 by Wegerles_Stairs

I'm a season ticket holder. Can't say the mood was particularly positive at 4.50 on Saturday.

Is it ever after a defeat or when Barbet steps up for a free kick!?

Point was the moaning on here doesn't seem to transfer to the stadium
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 12:35 - Mar 7 with 2768 viewsdmm

Here's a piece on Waburton in today's Daily Mirror: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mark-warburton-qpr-premier-league-2

Nothing that we didn't know about him already, but a good brief profile on him if you know little of him.
Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 13:45 - Mar 7 with 2677 viewsTheChef

Both Things About Warburton Can Be True on 10:54 - Mar 7 by dannyblue

Warburton's doing a fantastic job and we're overachieving.

It's a shame our form has been 2nd half of one season and 1st half of another - because it's a whole season's worth of great form but we don't get the promotion benefit. If someone could work out the points total of the 46 games until the end of January I'm sure it would be close to automatic promotion form.

Football is alchemy and how it's changed after ACON and Jeff's arrival is difficult to understand. I think they're red herrings coincident with the change rather than causing the change. I explain it this way. Through a season analysts get a good idea of how to block a team's strengths and that has happened to us: keep the middle tight, let the centrebacks have the ball, pick us off on the turnover. We haven't readapted yet. Plus weariness.

I do think this season will fizzle out now, but if we keep our cool we'll be even stronger next season. Warbs is a thinker and will learn and build, and I expect us to trade to a better squad.

IWWT.

I think it's a combination of factors relating to the spine of the team.

Both Dieng and Dykes being injured.
Defence and midfield form dropping off (whether that be physical and/or mental fatigue)

We can probably work our way through a couple of those happening, but not all at the same time.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2022 14:05]

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024