Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To Renew or Not Renew 12:11 - May 10 with 9019 viewsJevlar

Hi all. I've been going to Loftus Road on-off since the late 80s. As a kid my dad often worked Saturdays, so we would probably head to W12 perhaps 7/8 a season. Night games were a particular fave of mine.

As I've got older, life (uni/work) took me away from London but for the past 15 years I've had a Season Ticket in SAR (F Block). I sit next to my old man and the biggest part of going to the games is spending time with him (he is the reason I'm QPR) and the people that I sit next to and see who have become friends. Clearly, I've seen some highs and lows as a ST holder.

Currently, my dad is in poor health and unable to attend games, and the state of our beloved club right now, well... people far more eloquent than me have expressed their thoughts on this forum. But my two pennies - it's a f**king mess.

As a result of this and my dad's ill health I'm massively on the fence about renewing.

So my question is, and clearly your reasons don't need to be as emotionally loaded as mine, but is anyone else genuinely having second thoughts about renewing their season ticket? Or is it case of give it a few weeks and then I'll be foaming at the mouth for the release of opening day fixtures.

U Rs!
[Post edited 10 May 2023 13:14]
To Renew or Not Renew on 13:04 - May 10 with 6123 viewsNov77

Can’t blame anyone for not renewing, the club is a shambles. Having the manager tell the fans they need to lower their expectations after what we’ve witnessed this season is staggering, I already expect us to play crap and lose every week, there’s nowhere lower for my expectations to go..

Our fans have been superb, this season they’re the only ones to emerge with any credit.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

To Renew or Not Renew on 13:46 - May 10 with 6044 views08olesen

To Renew or Not Renew on 13:04 - May 10 by Nov77

Can’t blame anyone for not renewing, the club is a shambles. Having the manager tell the fans they need to lower their expectations after what we’ve witnessed this season is staggering, I already expect us to play crap and lose every week, there’s nowhere lower for my expectations to go..

Our fans have been superb, this season they’re the only ones to emerge with any credit.

This^

I find it really hard to listen to GA telling everyone to lower their expectations. The whole point of football is to get excited about going each week. There is absolutely no reason we cant put a respectable effort in at securing top 6- nobody is falling for the 'lucky to be here' messaging.

Then when you couple it with 0 youth players coming though, it begs the question, what the hell is going on.

Personally I think we are a shoo-in for some dross football and a bottom 6 position while GA is in charge- and therefore it makes a season ticket an unappealing prospect sadly.

Poll: Who will the other play off

To Renew or Not Renew on 16:20 - May 10 with 5899 viewsessextaxiboy

If you can afford it and the money and the time is not to the detriment of your family then renew it .
If it is something you care about and its going through hard times then help to support it through. ... IMO
To Renew or Not Renew on 16:36 - May 10 with 5868 viewsPastCaringNW2

Just a reminder again of Ainsworth's all-time record playing at home in the Championship

30 games
20 goals for (17 in 23 with WW)
40 goals against

23 of those games were played with his "own players" and the other 7 with a team allegedly giving their all.

The only incentive to renew is to ensure I keep hold of a seat that I really like having moved a few times in my 28 years as a ST holder. Is that enough? We'll see come June.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 16:38]
To Renew or Not Renew on 16:56 - May 10 with 5807 viewsDorse

Fair play to anyone renewing at this point (i.e. before we have a clue about the makeup of next season's squad). That takes some serious chops.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

To Renew or Not Renew on 17:02 - May 10 with 5787 viewshighleverhoopL

To Renew or Not Renew on 16:36 - May 10 by PastCaringNW2

Just a reminder again of Ainsworth's all-time record playing at home in the Championship

30 games
20 goals for (17 in 23 with WW)
40 goals against

23 of those games were played with his "own players" and the other 7 with a team allegedly giving their all.

The only incentive to renew is to ensure I keep hold of a seat that I really like having moved a few times in my 28 years as a ST holder. Is that enough? We'll see come June.
[Post edited 10 May 2023 16:38]

Even in our difficult situation he'll have vastly more money than he did at WW.
To Renew or Not Renew on 06:19 - May 11 with 5516 viewsLblock

After 33 years I’m hanging up my season ticket

A lot has changed for me over the last few years and I never ever thought I’d be giving it up but such is life.
This season I think I made six games in total and, in truth, stopping going over lockdowns broke the habit. The football was never the attraction, it was pre and post match that made it all worthwhile which is the same for loads of people I think. Losing that was the scale tipper.
I also think we’ll see an even bigger exodus next summer as the new EFL deal will see some ridiculous kick off changes. The game is “nothing without fans” apparently…… jokers.

I’ll be getting a membership I think but all those people who I used to annoy in block Mu in the loft upper can be safe in the knowledge my ranting won’t return

Gutted but we move on

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

To Renew or Not Renew on 06:39 - May 11 with 5491 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Wont be renewing unfortunately due to son going to uni. However, I wouldn't anyway as the club is a mess.
The style of football served up by Ainsworth isn't how I believe football should be played. Once he has gone I'll renew.
Login to get fewer ads

To Renew or Not Renew on 06:46 - May 11 with 5485 viewsjeffranger

I’ll be renewing & been coming since 1958 & always will until they call me up, probably one of the worst seasons I’ve seen & at times I felt disinterested in the club & going & that is not me, seen bad times before & hopefully we can pull ourselves together for next season
To Renew or Not Renew on 06:55 - May 11 with 5455 viewsWegerles_Stairs

To Renew or Not Renew on 13:46 - May 10 by 08olesen

This^

I find it really hard to listen to GA telling everyone to lower their expectations. The whole point of football is to get excited about going each week. There is absolutely no reason we cant put a respectable effort in at securing top 6- nobody is falling for the 'lucky to be here' messaging.

Then when you couple it with 0 youth players coming though, it begs the question, what the hell is going on.

Personally I think we are a shoo-in for some dross football and a bottom 6 position while GA is in charge- and therefore it makes a season ticket an unappealing prospect sadly.

Yes, let's lower our expectations after losing half of our home matches. "Roll up, roll up, QPR season tickets and one-way passage on the Titanic!"
To Renew or Not Renew on 07:29 - May 11 with 5434 viewswestberksr

OP, I'm 3 years down the line from where you are now.

had my season ticket with my father for 30 odd years and his health has deteriorated dramatically and he's not been for 4 years now and has recently turned 86.

I've stuck with it as you get to know a few people around you and there is a familiarity in that but I'm calling time on it this year. My loyalty to the club, in its current format, has diminished considerably.

This season I only made 7 games, due to holidays, gigs clashing with rearranged fixtures (feck you Sky), 75 mile each way trips for a Wednesday night game that I can watch at home. I think we won 2 of those that I attended.

I'll get a membership and come to as many games as I can as I love the day out and have people that I can pub with and sit close to, JU Upper is pretty empty most games so I'll sit close to my current seat. I just can't be arsed seeing the direct debit going out each month knowing its equated to £100 per game!
To Renew or Not Renew on 07:49 - May 11 with 5408 viewsBluce_Ree

If you're not going to renew then try to set that time aside for something specific and not just listening to the footie on Radio 5 and listening out for the QPR score.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

To Renew or Not Renew on 08:25 - May 11 with 5380 viewsPikey

To Renew or Not Renew on 07:49 - May 11 by Bluce_Ree

If you're not going to renew then try to set that time aside for something specific and not just listening to the footie on Radio 5 and listening out for the QPR score.

I will renew this year and hope to see all those not renewing scrambling for half season tickets when things are going surprisingly ( for the doubters on here) well.

U rsss
To Renew or Not Renew on 08:37 - May 11 with 5359 views100percent

I will be renewing - both mine and my sons season tickets.
I'm not saying that this season has been a joy to watch by any stretch of the imagination, but over the years I've seen many worse.
It's not just about the football for me - in fact, I'm not sure how anyone who supports QPR can base their engagement solely on football - it's about the social - meeting with friends, family, long term pals. The roller coaster of emotion and the joy of 'occasionally' having one of those special moments that are few and far between.
It's a transitional period for us.... like so many other transitional periods in our history. It's not perfect and I don't pretend to know the answers to what is going on but I will continue to give my full support at the games until I am physically or financially unable. My fiftieth first year of visiting Loftus Rd. Let's see what next season has in store.
To Renew or Not Renew on 08:37 - May 11 with 5361 viewsWesty75

I’ll be there.
To Renew or Not Renew on 08:48 - May 11 with 5339 viewsknocker

Been going since early 60's and was adamant that if relegated would call it a day but would renew is still in championship. But after suffering that garbage Saturday I'm really not sure. Couldn't watch that every week. Will wait till last minute but totally undecided.
To Renew or Not Renew on 09:34 - May 11 with 5290 viewsEsox_Lucius

Live football, meeting people I have come to know as friends over the years, Stockholm Syndrome all mean I will be renewing again. Along with the knowledge that someone is going to have carry all the AKTUR'S boxes out of the car

The grass is always greener.

To Renew or Not Renew on 09:44 - May 11 with 5272 viewsJevlar

To Renew or Not Renew on 07:29 - May 11 by westberksr

OP, I'm 3 years down the line from where you are now.

had my season ticket with my father for 30 odd years and his health has deteriorated dramatically and he's not been for 4 years now and has recently turned 86.

I've stuck with it as you get to know a few people around you and there is a familiarity in that but I'm calling time on it this year. My loyalty to the club, in its current format, has diminished considerably.

This season I only made 7 games, due to holidays, gigs clashing with rearranged fixtures (feck you Sky), 75 mile each way trips for a Wednesday night game that I can watch at home. I think we won 2 of those that I attended.

I'll get a membership and come to as many games as I can as I love the day out and have people that I can pub with and sit close to, JU Upper is pretty empty most games so I'll sit close to my current seat. I just can't be arsed seeing the direct debit going out each month knowing its equated to £100 per game!

A lot of this resonates with me, westberksr. I've probably missed 5 home games this season which is a lot for me, and the worst of it was, I wasn't as bothered as I thought I would be.

Loyalty to the club, as it currently is - hit the nail on the head there. I'd love to see wholesale change behind the scenes if truth be told, but know that's very unlikely to happen.
To Renew or Not Renew on 09:49 - May 11 with 5261 viewsRangersw12

I will be renewing mainly because we have a decent group of us in HU.

The new TV deal with Sky moving too many games will more influence my decision going forward than the performances on the pitch
To Renew or Not Renew on 09:58 - May 11 with 5242 viewsrobith

Hey Jevlar,

re: the state of the club, it's not for me to tell anyone what they're allowed to think or experience on that front, so you have to weigh it up for yourself. I have found it really hard to adapt to the change in temperature caused by results. I love having a few pints before and after, shooting the breeze, but I have a limit on QPR chat, especially if we've lost. By 2 hours after the game everyone's still arguing about management structures and debt and Directors of Football, and I just cba with it? But I'm 39 on Sunday, I can't find another hobby at this age.

But on your dad's health, I was similar last season. Went all the time with me dad, who passed away just after last season finished. I moved seats with my mates to go without him, but this when the Beale going was good - I hated it. It just wasn't the same. I hated being reminded of the loss, of him not being there. The World Cup was a nice break but I found I just didn't miss going at all. So I just....stopped. And it felt great, not gonna lie.

Eventually my pals bullied me (I say in jest) into coming back, and I came for a couple at the end of the season and it felt a bit different and I actually perversely enjoyed myself. I'll be renewing for next year because for better or ill it does actually form a fairly large part of my character and life.

Why I am telling you this long winded self indulgent dirge? Because faced with change, turmoil or potential grief and loss, we feel we have to make these huge binary decisions with tremendous finality.

But we don't. We can, to some extent , do whatever we want. If you give up your ST next year cos of everything around you, it doesn't have to be forever, you can come back. Or not. You can miss a few games if things are hard. There's more than one way to be a supporter.
To Renew or Not Renew on 10:49 - May 11 with 5193 viewsfrancisbowles

I'll be renewing. It's an addiction. I've had it since childhood and it is now my only link with the area where I was born.

With being able to stream games, I am now content to miss the odd one for a holiday or if the weather is sh1t for a night game, as driving two hours in torrential rain after a defeat is no fun not to mention risky. I do now see more matches as I can watch away games too.

I am looking forward to, tickets and holidays permitting, going to Plymouth for the first time and possibly revisiting St Mary's.
To Renew or Not Renew on 13:01 - May 11 with 5049 viewsJevlar

To Renew or Not Renew on 09:58 - May 11 by robith

Hey Jevlar,

re: the state of the club, it's not for me to tell anyone what they're allowed to think or experience on that front, so you have to weigh it up for yourself. I have found it really hard to adapt to the change in temperature caused by results. I love having a few pints before and after, shooting the breeze, but I have a limit on QPR chat, especially if we've lost. By 2 hours after the game everyone's still arguing about management structures and debt and Directors of Football, and I just cba with it? But I'm 39 on Sunday, I can't find another hobby at this age.

But on your dad's health, I was similar last season. Went all the time with me dad, who passed away just after last season finished. I moved seats with my mates to go without him, but this when the Beale going was good - I hated it. It just wasn't the same. I hated being reminded of the loss, of him not being there. The World Cup was a nice break but I found I just didn't miss going at all. So I just....stopped. And it felt great, not gonna lie.

Eventually my pals bullied me (I say in jest) into coming back, and I came for a couple at the end of the season and it felt a bit different and I actually perversely enjoyed myself. I'll be renewing for next year because for better or ill it does actually form a fairly large part of my character and life.

Why I am telling you this long winded self indulgent dirge? Because faced with change, turmoil or potential grief and loss, we feel we have to make these huge binary decisions with tremendous finality.

But we don't. We can, to some extent , do whatever we want. If you give up your ST next year cos of everything around you, it doesn't have to be forever, you can come back. Or not. You can miss a few games if things are hard. There's more than one way to be a supporter.

Robith thanks for the thoughtful reply. Didn't feel like self-indulgent dirge to me. I'm a similar age to you, and as you say I'm probably stuck with this hobby also.

There is something in those big moments in life, when change is seemingly all around that does make it feel very binary, but it isn't and also it's not forever.

I shall see how I'm feeling come the ST renewal announcements.
To Renew or Not Renew on 11:03 - May 15 with 4690 viewsWatford_Ranger

Reading have increased ST prices :)

I’ve weighed it up and made the difficult decision not to renew. I’ll inevitably miss a few games even if we’re flying which makes it uneconomical to lay out £555 or more again and I can’t see it being much of a return on my investment. I’ll still go to as many away games as possible including the few grounds I’ve not done hopefully.
To Renew or Not Renew on 11:30 - May 15 with 4574 viewsWatford_Ranger

To Renew or Not Renew on 08:37 - May 11 by 100percent

I will be renewing - both mine and my sons season tickets.
I'm not saying that this season has been a joy to watch by any stretch of the imagination, but over the years I've seen many worse.
It's not just about the football for me - in fact, I'm not sure how anyone who supports QPR can base their engagement solely on football - it's about the social - meeting with friends, family, long term pals. The roller coaster of emotion and the joy of 'occasionally' having one of those special moments that are few and far between.
It's a transitional period for us.... like so many other transitional periods in our history. It's not perfect and I don't pretend to know the answers to what is going on but I will continue to give my full support at the games until I am physically or financially unable. My fiftieth first year of visiting Loftus Rd. Let's see what next season has in store.

I’m probably a fair bit younger than you. Out of interest which have been worse? I’d say it’s arguably the worst I’ve had.
To Renew or Not Renew on 11:36 - May 15 with 4536 viewsRangersw12

To Renew or Not Renew on 11:30 - May 15 by Watford_Ranger

I’m probably a fair bit younger than you. Out of interest which have been worse? I’d say it’s arguably the worst I’ve had.

I'm 40 and I would put it 2nd worst season I've seen with number 1 being relegation in 00/01
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024