Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season over for EFL 18:26 - Apr 30 with 44246 viewsGloucs_R

According to talksport. League 1 and 2

https://talksport.com/football/efl/700954/efl-below-championship-unlikely-resume
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 18:27]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Season over for EFL on 11:45 - May 1 with 1973 viewsGloucs_R

Season over for EFL on 10:56 - May 1 by ted_hendrix

Blow football it is for the foreseeable future, keep your distance though-2 metres apart.

Our defence have been doing that on corners all season

Season over for EFL on 12:11 - May 1 with 1920 viewsslmrstid

Season over for EFL on 11:33 - May 1 by daveB

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Gambling industry which is taking a big hit and is something the government get money from and is a big partner of football so having live football in June even if all played at St Georges Park that people can bet on and get the economy moving is going to be encouraged. If England somehow manages to finish the season when everyone else cancels it thats a very small victory for the government. I do think this June 8th start date that is mooted seems unlikely though but they are under pressure from UEFA to finish before August for reasons I can't fathom

I daresay UEFA are desperate for their own cash cow the Champions League to not be affected, and for the 20/21 competition to go ahead as normal...
Season over for EFL on 12:16 - May 1 with 1902 viewsdaveB

Season over for EFL on 12:11 - May 1 by slmrstid

I daresay UEFA are desperate for their own cash cow the Champions League to not be affected, and for the 20/21 competition to go ahead as normal...

yeah I imagine that is the reason
Season over for EFL on 12:22 - May 1 with 1895 viewsRangersDave

if the season is null and voided, would we still have to pay this years FFP?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Season over for EFL on 12:30 - May 1 with 1874 viewsNorthernr

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Gambling industry which is taking a big hit and is something the government get money from and is a big partner of football so having live football in June even if all played at St Georges Park that people can bet on and get the economy moving is going to be encouraged. If England somehow manages to finish the season when everyone else cancels it thats a very small victory for the government. I do think this June 8th start date that is mooted seems unlikely though but they are under pressure from UEFA to finish before August for reasons I can't fathom

Gambling industry pulled all its ads this week. Rather cynically made out that it was doing it as a kind, considerate thing not targeting bored addicts in lockdown but, really, it's because there's no sport. No doubt this will hasten Sky's desire to get some action back as that's big money for them.
Season over for EFL on 12:31 - May 1 with 1870 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 12:11 - May 1 by slmrstid

I read somewhere last week they were still working on ways to finish this season's tournament! Jokers. I can't go off the end of my road by Man City are just going to pop over to Madrid.
Season over for EFL on 12:45 - May 1 with 1841 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Season over for EFL on 08:59 - May 1 by traininvain

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Euros scrapped next summer. Likewise the Olympics. We’ll need a vaccine to be available across the world in early 2021 to realistically have a chance of both events taking place. Otherwise I can’t see how millions of people can travel around the world to watch sporting events.

I would think cancelling the Euros and Olympics will be the very last option, especially for the latter event given the huge investments already made and the monies to be made by such organisations like UEFA and the IOC.

That said, if, as history suggests, a pandemic returns the following winter season, the need to postpone will be considered before cancelling. Incredible if we had the Summer and Winter Olympics in the same year as the Euros and WC. No work would ever get done as we’d be permanently on the phish throughout 2022.

I wonder if the bigger question is being mulled: put the WC back a year to even out the congestion as it were? The economic fallout ain’t going to lift for a while and I wonder if these big sporting events are going to see low crowds?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Season over for EFL on 12:56 - May 1 with 1826 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/01/amiens-vow-to-fight-ligue-1-rel

There'll be lots of this.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Season over for EFL on 13:01 - May 1 with 1818 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 12:56 - May 1 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/01/amiens-vow-to-fight-ligue-1-rel

There'll be lots of this.

Yup.

Was listening to Paul Cook the Wigan manager earlier this week. His team has been bottom three most of the season but went on a run in the month before the lockout so would actually benefit hugely from a stop now, but he very graciously and openly made the point that it would relegate Charlton who have been outside the bottom three for all but the last 20 minutes of the last game played, which seems incredibly harsh.
Season over for EFL on 13:39 - May 1 with 1756 viewsNortholt_Rs

Season over for EFL on 13:01 - May 1 by Northernr

Yup.

Was listening to Paul Cook the Wigan manager earlier this week. His team has been bottom three most of the season but went on a run in the month before the lockout so would actually benefit hugely from a stop now, but he very graciously and openly made the point that it would relegate Charlton who have been outside the bottom three for all but the last 20 minutes of the last game played, which seems incredibly harsh.

Not to me!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Season over for EFL on 13:55 - May 1 with 1718 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 13:39 - May 1 by Northolt_Rs

Not to me!

Well yeh

But you get what he's saying!
Season over for EFL on 14:07 - May 1 with 1708 viewsR_from_afar

Season over for EFL on 22:27 - Apr 30 by stowmarketrange

I can see some Liverpool fans not wanting to win the title like that,but it isn’t as if its a close run thing,they’re miles ahead and it would only be a matter of time anyway.
I don’t thinks Leeds fans would give a monkeys how they got promoted to the top division.West Brom fans might be different,but would any fans really be upset going up that way?
And it always gives us a stick to beat them with the season after next when they get relegated again.

"I can see some Liverpool fans not wanting to win the title like that".

Can you imagine how the ManUre fans will react if their bitter rivals are awarded the title without the PL playing the remaining games? They'll have a field day, they'll still be chanting about it in 2050.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Season over for EFL on 14:34 - May 1 with 1671 viewsrrrspricey

I'm torn on whether i want the season to be scrapped on not.

Pros
Scallies don't win title
Lids miss out on promotion while
Fools, Bus Stops and Florist miss out on play-offs

Cons
We miss out on a potential play-off place
Villa don't get relegated
Looton don't get relegated

On balance i'd get more pleasure with it being scrapped as reaching (and winning) the play-offs is unlikely
Season over for EFL on 14:45 - May 1 with 1646 viewsdavman

Season over for EFL on 09:51 - May 1 by RangersDave

Being fckd over night in football wont be the first time in recent memory.

The problem is and always will be.....sky!

While we bend to their demands football, pay the subscriptions etc they will be the puppet masters, and if they think they can get anything out of football continuing this season, they will have it, simples.

I think this season should be nulled and voided as it stands.
Too much of a can of worms for it to be finished (safely) and legally it will break some clubs and possibly the FA.

Start next season a month or so later to allow corona to bugger off (if it indeed ever does), and keep the clubs in the leagues they are in at the moment. If you started this season on a FFP points fine, you keep it going into next. (whenever 'next' is)

This doesnt have to be a difficult thinking process at all. (remember Bobby Ewing in the shower? this season is that moment, our 'Bobby Ewing shower')

Can't see Leeds, West Brom and Leicester putting up with that simply because of the cash they will lose by missing out on promotion or the Champions League.

Nothing at all to do with the trophies and titles they will miss out on, just the £££. As GloucsR says, it's why football is fckd.

Sky will always pay top dollar to the top 6 or 7 clubs in the country, so the Prem will restart undamaged. What will happen below there is unclear, but seeing as every club, including ours despite all the cuts, is living way, way beyond their means.

Whatever happens, we can wave goodbye to big fees for Eze and it looks increasingly likely that BOS and Manning will go for peanuts. Short term (exactly when we need it), the money simply will not be there. It is a disaster for our financial planning.

Add in Air Asia's troubles and the future looks very bleak unless the Mittals step up again...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Season over for EFL on 15:00 - May 1 with 1608 viewstraininvain

I think people are struggling to picture what this will all actually feel like. Even Liverpool and Leeds fans - the celebration of winning the title they might have in their heads is not the way this will be. It’ll be utterly sh1t and feel pointless. And it’ll always have an asterisks next to it whatever happens.

Personally think the actual consumer experience will be fairly shit whatever they do. Are players really going to fully celebrate goals in the midst of all this? Probably a daft question, I’m sure Dele Alli’s working on his dance routine right now.

This will never happen in a million years but I’d prefer to watch some kind of 5 a side mini tournament to decide anything left unresolved. Get it finished quickly over the course of a couple of weeks in an entertaining way. I have zero interest in watching Burnley vs Crystal Palace in a dead rubber.
Season over for EFL on 15:07 - May 1 with 1596 viewsNorthernr

For quarter one (so not even including April) ....

Sky lost 65,000 ‘customer relationships’, reducing total subscriber numbers by 65,000 to 23.9 milion.
Parent Comcast put the reduction down to the postponement of sports events and the suspension of certain sales channels — Sky will have been forced to shutter the pods that are present in UK shopping centres.

Adjusted EBITDA for Sky decreased 16.9% to $551 million in the first quarter of 2020.

Covid-19 also had an effect on content revenue that decreased 10.5% to $325 million, primarily reflecting the deferral of wholesale revenue from sports programming.

Q2 including April likely to be much worse.
Season over for EFL on 15:47 - May 1 with 1538 viewsGloucs_R

Another thing... Player fitness.

None of this not match fit excuses... They'll all be the same.

Season over for EFL on 16:07 - May 1 with 1503 viewsPinnerPaul

Season over for EFL on 05:18 - May 1 by Match82

Given that this sht could all kick off again next winter unless a vaccine is found there's a legit chance that we won't have football till Jan 2021. In which case I'd just finish the current season then. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Don't think winter has anything to do with it - its in countries whose coldest temperatures are far warmer than Europe's summers.
Season over for EFL on 16:12 - May 1 with 1496 viewsPinnerPaul

Season over for EFL on 08:59 - May 1 by traininvain

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Euros scrapped next summer. Likewise the Olympics. We’ll need a vaccine to be available across the world in early 2021 to realistically have a chance of both events taking place. Otherwise I can’t see how millions of people can travel around the world to watch sporting events.

Without straying too far into the Virus thread, I think waiting for 100% protection before resuming 'normal' lives is unrealistic.

We don't have 100% protection against dying from umpteen diseases or an accident - a fact that seems to have been forgotten in all this.
Season over for EFL on 16:16 - May 1 with 1486 viewsPinnerPaul

Season over for EFL on 08:13 - May 1 by Northernr

It doesn't matter what we as fans think -all this why don't they just do this, why don't they just do that, completely irrelevent.

The whole thing hinges on Sky and what they want.

If they're happy to wait and restart when it's safe and keep paying 100% of their fee, that's what we'll do. If they say they'd rather this season was just voided if it means they can get a full season next year and they'll still pay 100% of their fee that's what we'll so. If they say 'well if you haven't got us some action by June we'll only pay 50% of what we owe' then they'll be provided some action in June by hook or by crook.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I think you're largely correct, but of course the timing is still in the hands of the government.

If, like France, they say no sport, even behind closed doors until September, then even Sky and the PL would have to adhere to that.

The other unknown and I haven't seen it mentioned is what insurance the broadcasters and the PL have in place - you can insure against anything - at a cost - it became quite a big thing - risk management - towards the end of my time at ITV Sport - would be interesting to know if Sky or the PL do have anything in place.
Season over for EFL on 16:21 - May 1 with 1480 viewsPinnerPaul

The greater economy is a good argument.

40%+ of the PL wage bill is a big chunk of money that 'we' get as is the VAT the PL have to hand over on every rights invoice they pay.
Season over for EFL on 16:45 - May 1 with 1441 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 16:16 - May 1 by PinnerPaul

I think you're largely correct, but of course the timing is still in the hands of the government.

If, like France, they say no sport, even behind closed doors until September, then even Sky and the PL would have to adhere to that.

The other unknown and I haven't seen it mentioned is what insurance the broadcasters and the PL have in place - you can insure against anything - at a cost - it became quite a big thing - risk management - towards the end of my time at ITV Sport - would be interesting to know if Sky or the PL do have anything in place.

Well like I see our government hasn't shown any signs of that, quite the opposite, talking up sport coming back, raising the spirits and all that World War 2 bollocks we like to engage in in 2020.

And as soon as the French government did that Canal+ told the French league they could only have 30m of the 110m owed. So if we did that, and then Sky did that, that's half the Football League at least dead in the water, and all of Rugby League.
Season over for EFL on 16:58 - May 1 with 1413 viewsMelakaRanger

I think that this season should be allowed to complete, even if we cannot restart it for another 3 or 4 months. Then we start the next season after a short break.

Maybe even better when its not really clear when any restart will occur (after all it could take until 2021) just combine this season with the next. That way the teams at the top benefit from the points lead they already have, likewise those at the bottom. Then at the end of the combined season promotion and relegations occur as normal. Probbaly the fairest way to deal with this issue?
Season over for EFL on 17:03 - May 1 with 1398 viewsstevec

Season over for EFL on 16:45 - May 1 by Northernr

Well like I see our government hasn't shown any signs of that, quite the opposite, talking up sport coming back, raising the spirits and all that World War 2 bollocks we like to engage in in 2020.

And as soon as the French government did that Canal+ told the French league they could only have 30m of the 110m owed. So if we did that, and then Sky did that, that's half the Football League at least dead in the water, and all of Rugby League.

Think that’s unlikely, the risk of Sky losing the next TV rights if they did ask for a ‘refund’ would be huge.
Season over for EFL on 17:34 - May 1 with 1359 viewspaulparker

It’s a shame we won’t get to see how far we could have gone this season, we were just hitting a bit of form as well, also typical is the fact we have a 20 million player in Eze who due to the current climate in football will probably be sold for some bibs & spare balls

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024