Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season over for EFL 18:26 - Apr 30 with 44242 viewsGloucs_R

According to talksport. League 1 and 2

https://talksport.com/football/efl/700954/efl-below-championship-unlikely-resume
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 18:27]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Season over for EFL on 21:57 - Apr 30 with 2240 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Season over for EFL on 20:49 - Apr 30 by PlanetHonneywood

No idea what ups and downs have already taken place in England. But we’ve not seen in or out of the main leagues have we?

There’s no easy solution; there will be those who benefit and others that do not. Either way, it moves the bigger issue to August when things might be a little safer.

I think the leagues should be finished whenever we return.

Then take abreak and start the next season, albeit truncated if needs be.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Season over for EFL on 22:27 - Apr 30 with 2193 viewsstowmarketrange

Season over for EFL on 21:50 - Apr 30 by slmrstid

Its looking ever more likely it will get scrubbed, interesting article on the BBC Sport site at the minute with Sergio Aguero saying he's scared to go back as it stands, and Glenn Murray talking some real sense about the current plans seeming farcical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52493894 for the curious! Will be interesting to see if player power puts a spanner in the FA/Premier League's plans.

IF, and its a big if, it gets scrapped and Liverpool are awarded the title, you have to ask, from Klopp and the players (and most fans) perspective - wouldn't it just feel a bit empty? You've not won it naturally, it hasn't had the natural conclusion, and its being declared in the middle of the most incredulous thing that will probably (!) happen in our lifetimes.

Same if Leeds and WBA get automatically put up from the Championship - it would all feel a bit empty to me.

Or maybe thats just my perspective as a neutral observer!
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 21:50]

I can see some Liverpool fans not wanting to win the title like that,but it isn’t as if its a close run thing,they’re miles ahead and it would only be a matter of time anyway.
I don’t thinks Leeds fans would give a monkeys how they got promoted to the top division.West Brom fans might be different,but would any fans really be upset going up that way?
And it always gives us a stick to beat them with the season after next when they get relegated again.
Season over for EFL on 01:21 - May 1 with 2099 viewsdavman

Season over for EFL on 21:27 - Apr 30 by Gloucs_R

But you could have a completely different squad finishing the season as to what you have now. so effectively a bottom of the league club could potentially go out and buy a whole bunch of star players to ensure they survive. unless you stop transfer activity but then you have a massive problem with players contracts coming to an end in June.

So what?

This is unprecedented and we need to think slightly differently. How about just for one season we put up with maybe different squads finishing from those that started? We won't be able to change contracts, so that means changes to personnel for everyone.

Whenever the world is safe to go again, restart with whatever the squads look like. Get it done and then move on to the next one...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Season over for EFL on 03:07 - May 1 with 2077 viewsBoston

Season over for EFL on 20:14 - Apr 30 by Clive_Anderson

Why don't they wait to see when we can restart?

If it's not until December then we won't be able to complete next season, so finishing the current one in the remaining time makes more sense.

'alf a sixpence is better than 'alf of nothing...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Season over for EFL on 05:18 - May 1 with 2041 viewsMatch82

Given that this sht could all kick off again next winter unless a vaccine is found there's a legit chance that we won't have football till Jan 2021. In which case I'd just finish the current season then. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Season over for EFL on 07:09 - May 1 with 1979 viewsdaveB

I'm bored of saying it but why can't they just wait and see and just finish the season when it's safe.

The idea we scrap a season and expect to start a new one is laughable, what if we get a second wave in November, do we we scrap next season as well.

If we have to wait until September or even December to finish this one then just wait and do it.
Season over for EFL on 07:40 - May 1 with 1950 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agree with Dave and Davman.

I see no benefit to a truncated season with all of its injustices.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Season over for EFL on 07:55 - May 1 with 1928 viewsGloucs_R

Season over for EFL on 01:21 - May 1 by davman

So what?

This is unprecedented and we need to think slightly differently. How about just for one season we put up with maybe different squads finishing from those that started? We won't be able to change contracts, so that means changes to personnel for everyone.

Whenever the world is safe to go again, restart with whatever the squads look like. Get it done and then move on to the next one...

Personally, I'd rather make this season void and start again rather than carry on with a different squad
[Post edited 1 May 2020 7:55]

Login to get fewer ads

Season over for EFL on 08:13 - May 1 with 1902 viewsNorthernr

It doesn't matter what we as fans think -all this why don't they just do this, why don't they just do that, completely irrelevent.

The whole thing hinges on Sky and what they want.

If they're happy to wait and restart when it's safe and keep paying 100% of their fee, that's what we'll do. If they say they'd rather this season was just voided if it means they can get a full season next year and they'll still pay 100% of their fee that's what we'll so. If they say 'well if you haven't got us some action by June we'll only pay 50% of what we owe' then they'll be provided some action in June by hook or by crook.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Season over for EFL on 08:20 - May 1 with 1891 viewsGloucs_R

Season over for EFL on 08:13 - May 1 by Northernr

It doesn't matter what we as fans think -all this why don't they just do this, why don't they just do that, completely irrelevent.

If they're happy to wait and restart when it's safe and keep paying 100% of their fee, that's what we'll do. If they say they'd rather this season was just voided if it means they can get a full season next year and they'll still pay 100% of their fee that's what we'll so. If they say 'well if you haven't got us some action by June we'll only pay 50% of what we owe' then they'll be provided some action in June by hook or by crook.

And that's why football is fcuked

Season over for EFL on 08:38 - May 1 with 1867 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Season over for EFL on 21:57 - Apr 30 by BrianMcCarthy

I think the leagues should be finished whenever we return.

Then take abreak and start the next season, albeit truncated if needs be.

I think the other looming issues, is getting the leagues in harmony, especially the European leagues, as we’ve now got to refit the Euros into the equation for next year and keep an eye on the need to conclude the qualification process for the WC that is the following year.

The UK is at least two weeks behind the curve. So realistically, what are we looking at: resumption at the end of May? Then we’ve got what, two months into July to conclude? Now we could head straight into next season in August, but you’re going to have to have an extended winter break and then that will push the end of next season right bang into the Euros/WC qualification games.

I still think scrubbing and starting next season on a handicap system has some merit in terms of the minor issue of football, but is infinitely more important part in overcoming C-19 as quickly as possible.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Season over for EFL on 08:57 - May 1 with 1838 viewsBostonR

This is bang-on. The PL chose to chase the money and the money will dictate where we go next, irrespective of what some of the PL players are saying.
Would be interesting to see how Sky are currently funding stuff - what are their reserves? The pyramid below the Championship is about to implode but that could be an opportunity to re-organise on a regional basis.
Season over for EFL on 08:59 - May 1 with 1833 viewstraininvain

Season over for EFL on 08:38 - May 1 by PlanetHonneywood

I think the other looming issues, is getting the leagues in harmony, especially the European leagues, as we’ve now got to refit the Euros into the equation for next year and keep an eye on the need to conclude the qualification process for the WC that is the following year.

The UK is at least two weeks behind the curve. So realistically, what are we looking at: resumption at the end of May? Then we’ve got what, two months into July to conclude? Now we could head straight into next season in August, but you’re going to have to have an extended winter break and then that will push the end of next season right bang into the Euros/WC qualification games.

I still think scrubbing and starting next season on a handicap system has some merit in terms of the minor issue of football, but is infinitely more important part in overcoming C-19 as quickly as possible.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Euros scrapped next summer. Likewise the Olympics. We’ll need a vaccine to be available across the world in early 2021 to realistically have a chance of both events taking place. Otherwise I can’t see how millions of people can travel around the world to watch sporting events.
Season over for EFL on 09:18 - May 1 with 1798 views2Thomas2Bowles

Well unless the Gov bans all sports events like France.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Season over for EFL on 09:26 - May 1 with 1783 viewsNorthernr

Season over for EFL on 09:18 - May 1 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Well unless the Gov bans all sports events like France.

Well up to now they've been talking up the opposite.

Also, Canal+ immediately responded to that by saying they'd only pay 30m euros of the 110m they owe the French league. If Sky do that to the EFL we're fcked overnight.

Season over for EFL on 09:41 - May 1 with 1720 views2Thomas2Bowles

Season over for EFL on 09:26 - May 1 by Northernr

Well up to now they've been talking up the opposite.

Also, Canal+ immediately responded to that by saying they'd only pay 30m euros of the 110m they owe the French league. If Sky do that to the EFL we're fcked overnight.

Strange really, most if not all on here hate the way football has been ruined by the FA and Sky.

Maybe this is the reset, painful as many clubs will go under, or semi pro.
the Prem will recover in time but maybe the stupid wages and fees will fall.

Sky won't offer anything like the money they do without safeguards against another pandemic or other.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Season over for EFL on 09:51 - May 1 with 1706 viewsRangersDave

Being fckd over night in football wont be the first time in recent memory.

The problem is and always will be.....sky!

While we bend to their demands football, pay the subscriptions etc they will be the puppet masters, and if they think they can get anything out of football continuing this season, they will have it, simples.

I think this season should be nulled and voided as it stands.
Too much of a can of worms for it to be finished (safely) and legally it will break some clubs and possibly the FA.

Start next season a month or so later to allow corona to bugger off (if it indeed ever does), and keep the clubs in the leagues they are in at the moment. If you started this season on a FFP points fine, you keep it going into next. (whenever 'next' is)

This doesnt have to be a difficult thinking process at all. (remember Bobby Ewing in the shower? this season is that moment, our 'Bobby Ewing shower')

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Season over for EFL on 09:55 - May 1 with 1696 viewsloftus77

It’s so tough isn’t it? As said in another thread, I can’t see how the league season cannot be null and void (‘Bobby Ewing in the shower’ - lots of Dallas fans on here, I notice...). If you think about it it’s the only real answer contractually, financially and in terms of safety (top priority) and credibility.

As someone said, Liverpool will not want to ‘win’ a bogus title either BCD or with a massive gap ¾ of the way through their championship season.

However, in the short/medium term — there could be a national ‘morale boost’ solution which lies (IMHO) in British football turning to its 2 oldest competitions of all — the FA Cup and the Scottish Cup.

Here, there are 10 games left involving a maximum of 8 English (QFs, SFs, Final) and 4 Scottish (SFs Final) teams. Could not these be safely played BCD say one game every Saturday for the 10 weeks from say, mid-June to late August? (Finals in late Aug). With a testing regime in place, that must be practically manageable and it would keep football ticking over meaningfully.

It could also serve as a useful blueprint for decisions on a new league campaign which is vastly more complicated.

And I love a good Edinburgh derby, me.
[Post edited 1 May 2020 9:56]
Season over for EFL on 10:23 - May 1 with 1651 viewsterryb

I've not read every post so I apologise if I'm repeating1

Lower down the pyramid at levels 7 to 10 (steps 3 to 6) the FA have cancelled the season & stated that there will be no promotions or relegations. The National League has also finished following a vote by the clubs, but the last that I knew was that they had made no decision as to cancel, use the existing tables or finalise the tables using PPG. Those of you that have a connection to Wealstone etc might know differently!

The FA have not stated that they won't allocate a club to fill a vacancy at a higher level though. On that basis, I expect Bury to be replaced in the EFL by Barrow or a club chosen by ther FA. How it would be decided who replaced Barrow in the National Leagus I don't know!
Season over for EFL on 10:50 - May 1 with 1623 viewsJamesB1979

Season over for EFL on 07:09 - May 1 by daveB

I'm bored of saying it but why can't they just wait and see and just finish the season when it's safe.

The idea we scrap a season and expect to start a new one is laughable, what if we get a second wave in November, do we we scrap next season as well.

If we have to wait until September or even December to finish this one then just wait and do it.

Completely agree. We seem so keen to rush the decision about this season but no one knows when the next season can start. What happens if we start next season and 2nd wave of virus arrives? We bin that one too. Maybe have other more important things to worry about. But let’s finish this season whenever that is, even if many many months from now. Also.....I think we’ve got chance of playoffs!
Season over for EFL on 10:56 - May 1 with 1602 viewsted_hendrix

Blow football it is for the foreseeable future, keep your distance though-2 metres apart.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Season over for EFL on 10:57 - May 1 with 1600 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just wait until next March and start where we left off.

Bare bones.

Season over for EFL on 11:23 - May 1 with 1568 viewsstowmarketrange

Next season’s fixtures are due out in almost 7 weeks.Who do you think we’ll get 1st game?
Season over for EFL on 11:24 - May 1 with 1566 viewsClive_Anderson

Season over for EFL on 20:45 - Apr 30 by paulparker

Problem is this will have an effect on Euros and World cups
If the season starts in say September or October which looking at it would be a possibility I would just have league games until May
You would have to scrap the cups unless you play them as a pre season tournament or warm up games as I can’t see many clubs going to China /Asia etc for a pre season
The champions league/europa league would have to be scrapped so you don’t get teams travelling

Well if we don't restart until March next year then carrying on seems the best option to me.
Or another likely scenario that it starts earlier, but with more delays later on which won't allow next season to be played in full either.

Once it has been announced that the season has been cancelled then there will be no going back as teams that were at the bottom of the current season will not allow it.

I don't see why we can't play out this season and then have a reduced next season with whatever time is available. Maybe each team plays each other once only, one team goes up and the next two play off for another promotion spot. It might be quite interesting.

Also does this mean Bolton will have to start another season on -12 points? That must be pretty depressing.
Season over for EFL on 11:33 - May 1 with 1544 viewsdaveB

one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the Gambling industry which is taking a big hit and is something the government get money from and is a big partner of football so having live football in June even if all played at St Georges Park that people can bet on and get the economy moving is going to be encouraged. If England somehow manages to finish the season when everyone else cancels it thats a very small victory for the government. I do think this June 8th start date that is mooted seems unlikely though but they are under pressure from UEFA to finish before August for reasons I can't fathom
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024