Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unbelievable Jeff 08:58 - Aug 27 with 11597 viewsstevec

They’ve sacked LeTiss, Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson from Jeff Stellings Soccer Saturday, possibly one of the few things worth watching when Rangers are North of Watford.

No idea who their replacements are but whilst I enjoy Clinton Morrison’s delusions of grandeur I suspect we’ll be subjected to a succession of bland compromised replacements.

If they take midweek red button away games off us next season I may be forced to cancel.
Unbelievable Jeff on 10:44 - Aug 27 with 2000 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I miss Saint and Greavsie.

Sometimes they missed the highlights when the tape was put on the wrong train.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:51 - Aug 27 with 1977 viewsNorthernr

They've also binned Scott Minto off the EFL coverage.
Unbelievable Jeff on 10:52 - Aug 27 with 1970 viewsrobith

The show was absolutely rotten tbh. They're under threat from more innovative providers like the also Sky owned Football Daily for younger viewers or even dare I saw it Arsenal TV. People are providing different solutions in this space whilst Soccer Saturday has a load of blokes properly phoning it in. In dire need of a refresh.

As for social media - the mute function and Lists on twitter totally change how you experience the site. The main feed is absolute hellscape stuff. I only use facebook to post Simpsons memes
Unbelievable Jeff on 10:54 - Aug 27 with 1965 viewsCamberleyR

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:51 - Aug 27 by Northernr

Will anybody notice?

He'll have to change his Twitter handle now.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 10:57]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:59 - Aug 27 with 1942 viewsrsonist

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:52 - Aug 27 by robith

The show was absolutely rotten tbh. They're under threat from more innovative providers like the also Sky owned Football Daily for younger viewers or even dare I saw it Arsenal TV. People are providing different solutions in this space whilst Soccer Saturday has a load of blokes properly phoning it in. In dire need of a refresh.

As for social media - the mute function and Lists on twitter totally change how you experience the site. The main feed is absolute hellscape stuff. I only use facebook to post Simpsons memes

People will create their own echo chambers on Twitter but the difference with Facebook is you have an advertising algorithm explicitly calibrated to enrage people's monkey brains. The mainstreaming of Facebook is the precise moment the internet became sht.
Unbelievable Jeff on 10:59 - Aug 27 with 1941 viewsCamberleyR

Surely spawn of Redknapp has got to be next?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:19 - Aug 27 with 1862 viewsrobith

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:59 - Aug 27 by rsonist

People will create their own echo chambers on Twitter but the difference with Facebook is you have an advertising algorithm explicitly calibrated to enrage people's monkey brains. The mainstreaming of Facebook is the precise moment the internet became sht.

Hmm, I'd disagree there, you've got those the wrong way around. As someone who works in media planning, Facebook's algorithm is advertising driven - so it means it's onus is to sell stuff and means the feed is saturated with ads.

Therefore Facebook's real issue is that they have accumulated so much data on people that they use to fuel their ad buying engine, meaning people can ultra target very specific messaging to individuals to influence them. Especially once combined with AI driven ad generation that can create 1000s of ads from a small number of templates that would take humans weeks. That content is then very easily shared and comes peer endorsed by real people you know (Facebook's algorithm prioritises content from your friends amplifying this effect). All marketing research shows that social media advertising in and of itself is very poor at generating long term memory structures that make advertising effective - it's its low cost and peer endorsement that are creating the impact it is having.

Twitter is very much the enraged engagement algorithm however as they want to increase time on site to maximise ad exposure. It's called an echo chamber yet every time I go on there I am bombarded with terrible opinions from people I don't like.
Unbelievable Jeff on 11:25 - Aug 27 with 1847 viewseastside_r

I used to watch this when SSN was on Freeview (admittedly some time ago now, I ‘ve never had a Sky subscription.)

The concept was pioneering and is great for the classic armchair fan. I only watched it when we were away and a game I was not doing. I really enjoyed it for a while but I soon realised it was the data presentation (overload?) that I enjoyed. The ‘personalities’ passed me by.

So now if I am not at the game, I will have the radio on with the (shamelessly copied) BBC version on mute in the background. Works fine for me.

Also. I am sure I can’t be the only one immune to the comedy stylings of Kammy (as apparently, we must call him.) In fact, I find him a massively annoying c***. (He was a dirty clogging bastard as a player, too.)
Login to get fewer ads

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:27 - Aug 27 with 1836 viewskensalriser

Terrible that old white men are being discriminated against and replaced by politically correct people, especially those of the man dem persuasion, you know what I mean.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:33 - Aug 27 with 1807 viewsMrSheen

Arsenal Fan TV must be dreading a spell of quiet competence. Who's going to watch it then?

The best things about Soccer Saturday are John Gwynne shouting down the line from Crewe, lovely Thomas Hardy heroine Michelle Owen and seeing which rickety scaffold they've put Bianca on this week.
Unbelievable Jeff on 11:36 - Aug 27 with 1797 viewsrsonist

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:19 - Aug 27 by robith

Hmm, I'd disagree there, you've got those the wrong way around. As someone who works in media planning, Facebook's algorithm is advertising driven - so it means it's onus is to sell stuff and means the feed is saturated with ads.

Therefore Facebook's real issue is that they have accumulated so much data on people that they use to fuel their ad buying engine, meaning people can ultra target very specific messaging to individuals to influence them. Especially once combined with AI driven ad generation that can create 1000s of ads from a small number of templates that would take humans weeks. That content is then very easily shared and comes peer endorsed by real people you know (Facebook's algorithm prioritises content from your friends amplifying this effect). All marketing research shows that social media advertising in and of itself is very poor at generating long term memory structures that make advertising effective - it's its low cost and peer endorsement that are creating the impact it is having.

Twitter is very much the enraged engagement algorithm however as they want to increase time on site to maximise ad exposure. It's called an echo chamber yet every time I go on there I am bombarded with terrible opinions from people I don't like.

I'm not sure I follow the distinction you're making. Facebook is surely just as geared towards maximising user attention as it is to targeting its ads, the two go hand in glove.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-knows-it-encourages-division-top-executive
“Our algorithms exploit the human brain’s attraction to divisiveness,” read a slide from a 2018 presentation. “If left unchecked,” it warned, Facebook would feed users “more and more divisive content in an effort to gain user attention & increase time on the platform.”
Unbelievable Jeff on 11:38 - Aug 27 with 1784 viewsJamieNaz

Basic levels of competency for a pundit should be being able to pronounce a footballer's name correctly. The fact that those lads have gotten away with it for so long on Soccer Saturday probably tallies up with the massive decline in audience that I suspect they've seen.

The scant lack of research or preparation that you see some pundits / co-commentators get away with is mad. You wouldn't be allowed to do it in any other job.

Steve McMananananaman on the recent Champions League coverage was awful.

People deserve better, but it seems people have been getting very angry at the changes.

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:42 - Aug 27 with 1766 viewsBAWHoops

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:51 - Aug 27 by Northernr

Find this baffling.

He's really good and in Rosenoir they have the best pundit outside of Carragher and Neville

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:44 - Aug 27 with 1756 viewsBAWHoops

Not sure who the replacements will be. Personally find Clinton Morrison very poor, just think he comes across as pretty dim.

The joy of the show is that there is an easy back and forth between Jeff and the 4 pundits.

Wouldn't surprise me if they added Roy Keane into the mix to drive Social Media clicks

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:44 - Aug 27 with 1756 viewsNorthernr

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:38 - Aug 27 by JamieNaz

Basic levels of competency for a pundit should be being able to pronounce a footballer's name correctly. The fact that those lads have gotten away with it for so long on Soccer Saturday probably tallies up with the massive decline in audience that I suspect they've seen.

The scant lack of research or preparation that you see some pundits / co-commentators get away with is mad. You wouldn't be allowed to do it in any other job.

Steve McMananananaman on the recent Champions League coverage was awful.

People deserve better, but it seems people have been getting very angry at the changes.

Merson not being able to pronounce the names, and it being made out like a comedy thing, really grates. It's disrespectful, and it shows a lack of research on his part, and it's crass of the others to egg him on with it. It's also completely hypocritical from the audience who lap it up and love the montages of it that appear on lad Bible - if Alex Scott is on there next year getting players' names wrongs you watch how different the reaction is.
Unbelievable Jeff on 11:45 - Aug 27 with 1750 viewsNorthernr

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:44 - Aug 27 by BAWHoops

Not sure who the replacements will be. Personally find Clinton Morrison very poor, just think he comes across as pretty dim.

The joy of the show is that there is an easy back and forth between Jeff and the 4 pundits.

Wouldn't surprise me if they added Roy Keane into the mix to drive Social Media clicks

Liam Rosenior is the best pundit on there atm but I think he coaches at Derby atm so couldn't do the Saturday show.

Agree Morrison is a pain in the ars.
Unbelievable Jeff on 11:52 - Aug 27 with 1720 viewsKonk

First it was the supremely talented Richard 'Hanging out the back of it' Keys and Andy Gray, then this. I am fu cking devastated. SKY Sports have lost the plot. It's gone too far. I'll miss the banter, I'll miss the insight, and I'll miss them fighting for screen time by shouting over each other. They were the best of the best. The Golden generation of punditry. The A-Team.

If the rumours are true and SKY are replacing them with Stormzy, Owen Jones and Germaine Greer, then I am afraid this is just another example of woke cancel culture gone mad. Do the people at SKY really believe that Owen Jones is capable of shouting, "OH, NO! WHAT A MISS!" and then describing a cross that's been headed over?

First they came for Matt Le Tissier, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not Matt Le Tissier.
Then they came for Phil Thompson, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not Phil Thompson.
Then they came for Charlie Nicholas, and I did not speak out–
Because I was not Charlie Nicholas.
Then they came for me –and there was no one left to speak for me.

People need to wake-up before Jeff Stelling's replaced by Eddie Izzard in a frock.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:56 - Aug 27 with 1690 viewsrsonist

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:44 - Aug 27 by Northernr

Merson not being able to pronounce the names, and it being made out like a comedy thing, really grates. It's disrespectful, and it shows a lack of research on his part, and it's crass of the others to egg him on with it. It's also completely hypocritical from the audience who lap it up and love the montages of it that appear on lad Bible - if Alex Scott is on there next year getting players' names wrongs you watch how different the reaction is.

As someone with a foreign (but phonetically spelled and straighforward) name, can confirm this has always been the #1 top parochial Brit passive aggression.

At least I hope so anyway, if it's honest illiteracy that would be much more frightening.
Unbelievable Jeff on 11:57 - Aug 27 with 1684 viewsEsox_Lucius

Unbelievable Jeff on 09:18 - Aug 27 by stevec

But very boring

I could happily live the rest of my life without ever hearing another pundit but I would take her calm measured approach over that braying donkey Thompson every minute of every day. As soon as I heard his voice I would switch channels.

The grass is always greener.

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:58 - Aug 27 with 1677 viewsrsonist

Jobi McAnuff was getting a lot of airtime during the playoffs, was pretty okay. Nice bit of silver fox eye candy and all.
Unbelievable Jeff on 12:02 - Aug 27 with 1649 viewsPhildo

One of the best pundits of the lot who has not had much of a chance other than local stuff is Paul Parker although he probably dos not fit the age profile they are looking for.
Unbelievable Jeff on 12:09 - Aug 27 with 1619 viewsingeminate

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:44 - Aug 27 by Northernr

Ah Merse is a bit dim, but he's enthusiastic and helps keep the show light hearted, he's the only I'd have kept and my bet will be that he gels well with whoever comes on board.

I'd like to see any three from Trevor Sinclair, Patrice Evra, Dennis Wise, Teddy Sheringham, Wayne Bridge, Alex Scott.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Unbelievable Jeff on 12:14 - Aug 27 with 1589 viewspaulparker

Unbelievable Jeff on 12:09 - Aug 27 by ingeminate

Ah Merse is a bit dim, but he's enthusiastic and helps keep the show light hearted, he's the only I'd have kept and my bet will be that he gels well with whoever comes on board.

I'd like to see any three from Trevor Sinclair, Patrice Evra, Dennis Wise, Teddy Sheringham, Wayne Bridge, Alex Scott.

Trevor Sinclair the racist , no thanks

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Unbelievable Jeff on 12:17 - Aug 27 with 1582 viewsDWQPR

Unbelievable Jeff on 10:14 - Aug 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Phil Thompson last kicked a ball in 1986. 34 years ago. That doesn't in itself make him a bad pundit or out of date (though he is both).

But it's the equivalent of a 10-yr old Brian putting on the telly in 1980 and being lectured to by Dennis Compton, who retired in 1946.

Denis Compton scored nearly 4,000 runs in 1948 Brian so I bloody well hoped you listened to him! 🤣

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Unbelievable Jeff on 12:22 - Aug 27 with 1550 viewsrobith

Unbelievable Jeff on 11:36 - Aug 27 by rsonist

I'm not sure I follow the distinction you're making. Facebook is surely just as geared towards maximising user attention as it is to targeting its ads, the two go hand in glove.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebook-knows-it-encourages-division-top-executive
“Our algorithms exploit the human brain’s attraction to divisiveness,” read a slide from a 2018 presentation. “If left unchecked,” it warned, Facebook would feed users “more and more divisive content in an effort to gain user attention & increase time on the platform.”

You said facebook prioritises making people angry to keep attention. It does not. It prioritises advertising and content from your peers. The anger is a consequence. With twitter it is a direct intention
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024