Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall fans. 17:35 - Dec 5 with 56510 viewsPaddyhoops

They booed the players loudly as they took the knee.
What a classy bunch they are.
Millwall fans. on 08:49 - Dec 6 with 2256 viewsPaddyhoops

It was always going to be an indicator of how far Millwall have come as a club to eradicate some of the more distasteful behaviour of their fans. On this evidence they have failed miserably.
I am fully supportive of our clubs stance on taking the knee. As Les Ferdinand said it will take a lot more than a gesture that has long since lost its original effect to change attitudes.
On yesterday's evidence, nothing will change.
How depressing is that?
Millwall fans. on 09:06 - Dec 6 with 2183 viewsGloucs_R

Millwall fans. on 08:49 - Dec 6 by Paddyhoops

It was always going to be an indicator of how far Millwall have come as a club to eradicate some of the more distasteful behaviour of their fans. On this evidence they have failed miserably.
I am fully supportive of our clubs stance on taking the knee. As Les Ferdinand said it will take a lot more than a gesture that has long since lost its original effect to change attitudes.
On yesterday's evidence, nothing will change.
How depressing is that?

I don't think here is the place for another political debate but I do understand both sides of the argument.

Personally, I think it's now doing more harm than good.

The FA has an anti discrimination campaign, we should be focusing on supporting this.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Millwall fans. on 09:15 - Dec 6 with 2163 viewsRanger_Things

Booing for taking a knee is utterly moronic. I will wait for our first stray pass.
Millwall fans. on 09:22 - Dec 6 with 2148 viewsKonk

Millwall fans. on 08:14 - Dec 6 by stevec

That is absolutely scandalous but entirely predictable, there’s been incidents of bullying and intimidation along those lines in the US though, it has to be said, largely by whites of a certain political persuasion.

I wonder if most black people hate the whites who exploit this situation for their own ends more than anything else.

I would absolutely condemn anyone being forced to take part in a political gesture/act that they weren’t comfortable with - it’s cun tish bullying and is counter-productive. I’m always heartened to see the amount of understanding and tolerance James McLean gets at grounds around the country and on social media for his refusal to wear a poppy on his shirt. Ditto the fact that people on the right don’t turn into swivel-eyed loons every time Jon Snow appears without a poppy, or someone shows up on the BBC without a poppy the size of a dinner plate. If only those on the left would follow this example and recognise that people ought not be obliged to partake in political acts they don’t support, just to appease the mob.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Millwall fans. on 09:28 - Dec 6 with 2129 viewsDannytheR

Millwall fans. on 09:22 - Dec 6 by Konk

I would absolutely condemn anyone being forced to take part in a political gesture/act that they weren’t comfortable with - it’s cun tish bullying and is counter-productive. I’m always heartened to see the amount of understanding and tolerance James McLean gets at grounds around the country and on social media for his refusal to wear a poppy on his shirt. Ditto the fact that people on the right don’t turn into swivel-eyed loons every time Jon Snow appears without a poppy, or someone shows up on the BBC without a poppy the size of a dinner plate. If only those on the left would follow this example and recognise that people ought not be obliged to partake in political acts they don’t support, just to appease the mob.

Agreed. It's a fkng scandal that the Millwall fans were forced to take the knee like that.

And having seen and heard their good-natured banter so often over the years as we all have, I for one am definitely glad to be on the same side of any debate as Millwall.

[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 10:07]
Millwall fans. on 09:38 - Dec 6 with 2106 viewsGroveR

Millwall fans. on 07:05 - Dec 6 by Gloucs_R

What has taking the knee actually achieved in the UK, other than creating more division?

My uncle lives in Manhattan. He was forced out of his car, forced to take a knee and forced to raise his fist. All in fear of his life. He was only driving to work and got caught up in a protest.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 7:19]

What are the odds of getting caught in the middle of a New York Jehovahs Fisters rally?
Millwall fans. on 09:40 - Dec 6 with 2089 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 04:01 - Dec 6 by SydneyRs

Taking the knee lasts less than 10 seconds and can easily be ignored. Not all players do it. If you don't like it why not just ignore it?

It wasn't just booing from the Millwall lot, there was a lot of stuff being shouted very aggressively. Nobody should try and sugar coat it as some sort of considered response about politics. It was pure racial hatred, just listen to the clip. And no surprise from that lot.

There was nothing racist shouted but only' get off your knees you c:::ts'.
Millwall fans. on 09:45 - Dec 6 with 2075 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 23:01 - Dec 5 by kensalriser

Are you sure there's a BLM party?

They are now officially registered as a political party which is why the FA and FL should be dropping this nonsense.
Login to get fewer ads

Millwall fans. on 09:49 - Dec 6 with 2067 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 20:56 - Dec 5 by Konk

I think the main thing is the manner it's done in. Getting stopped and searched can be hugely embarrassing and humiliating - especially when it's done where you live and people you know are passing by.

As someone who bowled around in Stone Island coats/jackets from 1995-2000, I got used to being pulled over for a chat by police at away games, and I never minded when it was done politely, because as you say, I fitted the demographic of dickheads acting-up. What I wasn't so keen on, was the odd occasion when I was pushed into walls, called a "cockney cu nt/wan ker" and threatened, when all I was doing was walking along with mates minding our own business.

I knew a copper who covered Victoria, and she said that most of the time, if they had a mugging, the shocked victim understandably gave a vague description of who'd robbed them, and it would often be 2/3 black lads, 15-20 years old, and then almost nothing descriptive on clothing/footwear other than hoodies or dark clothing. So, she and her colleagues then had to approach any group of 2/3 black lads in that age range with any of them wearing hoodies/dark clothing, knowing that they were probably not the muggers, but being obliged to check anyway. She said she would go in all apologetic and explain they had a very vague description, and try and do it off in a quieter spot, but that other colleagues would start from a position of presumed guilt and be really aggressive from the off. I think that's what really upsets people. You need to do it in a respectful way, where possible, and not humiliate people.

They take a position of guilt with football fans too but most of us don't play the victim card.

I know this will get the embarrassing 'thumbs down' from the usual suspects but it's the truth.
Millwall fans. on 09:51 - Dec 6 with 2071 viewsWatford_Ranger

Millwall fans. on 08:14 - Dec 6 by stevec

That is absolutely scandalous but entirely predictable, there’s been incidents of bullying and intimidation along those lines in the US though, it has to be said, largely by whites of a certain political persuasion.

I wonder if most black people hate the whites who exploit this situation for their own ends more than anything else.

I’m not black but I’m going to have a wild guess most would still reserve more hate for the massive racists.
Millwall fans. on 09:53 - Dec 6 with 2064 viewsPaddyhoops

I'm with you on the James McLean thing.
Although he doesn't help himself posting videos of himself in balaclava whilst playing with his kids.
On the subject of " taking the knee" . Nobody should be forced to do it.
It was always going to be a problem for a lot of people and I would personally pack the whole thing in now.
At the same time, a dignified silence would have put the Millwall in a better light, however lots, not all Millwall fans have got form . We all know that and they didn't disappoint yesterday!!
Millwall fans. on 10:04 - Dec 6 with 2035 viewsKonk

Millwall fans. on 09:49 - Dec 6 by St_Pollock

They take a position of guilt with football fans too but most of us don't play the victim card.

I know this will get the embarrassing 'thumbs down' from the usual suspects but it's the truth.

Difference being, as far as the authorities are concerned, you're only treated as a football fan on match days a few dozen times a year at most. It's not something that impacts how you're treated by the police on a Monday afternoon in July or when you pop out to the shops on a Thursday evening. It doesn't impact your employment prospects, who will rent a flat to you, what clubs will let you in etc.

Football fans rightly complain when they're treated badly by those police that lump everyone in with the idiots, but the most whiny fans in my experience, are the self-proclaimed lads (generally tubby 50 year olds) or their junior followers. They hate the police and whinge away about ticket/travel restrictions/dry trains/pubs being shut, without ever stopping to consider their role in things.

Millwall fans. on 10:07 - Dec 6 with 2024 viewsKonk

I'm off out for the day, so will be brief, but I have heard and read an awful lot from black people here, in the States and on the continent, saying that they appreciate support from white people in the push for a fairer society with less discrimination.

Millwall fans. on 10:08 - Dec 6 with 2009 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 10:04 - Dec 6 by Konk

Difference being, as far as the authorities are concerned, you're only treated as a football fan on match days a few dozen times a year at most. It's not something that impacts how you're treated by the police on a Monday afternoon in July or when you pop out to the shops on a Thursday evening. It doesn't impact your employment prospects, who will rent a flat to you, what clubs will let you in etc.

Football fans rightly complain when they're treated badly by those police that lump everyone in with the idiots, but the most whiny fans in my experience, are the self-proclaimed lads (generally tubby 50 year olds) or their junior followers. They hate the police and whinge away about ticket/travel restrictions/dry trains/pubs being shut, without ever stopping to consider their role in things.

Football hooligans are a problem for Police on match days, street crime is a problem for Police each day.

Until white 18-30 males aren't the main problem at football and black 18-30 males aren't the main perpetrators of street crime nothing will change and, to be honest, nothing should.
Millwall fans. on 10:16 - Dec 6 with 1978 viewsSt_Pollock

The white middle class have now deemed BAME to be offensive BTW...

I think most black people I openly discuss this with understand that racism will always exist and they're not bothered about that. Some even admit that they'd be horrified if their son or daughter had mixed race children and others hate Africans or Muslims.

What they don't want is shops or pubs not serving them because they are black and not being called a black c___ when walking down the street.

They also don't want to be overlooked by potential employers for being black but acknowledge that when just 8% of the population looks like them that there's going to be more white people than them at a company and no company will have a black CEO just because they are black.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 10:19]
Millwall fans. on 10:20 - Dec 6 with 1977 viewsstevec

Well I respect your well made point. People should be able to present differing views without intimidation and from a political angle that can come from left or right.

Think BLM protest is perfectly plausible, if it makes people think then it’s a good thing. My daughter works for one of the biggest companies in the world, says since BLM she thinks of her office and now notices that whilst people come from all around the world, ‘we all look the same’. She says not a conscious thing but we probably unconsciously employ people who we immediately relate to.

As such, you can see where BLM has a case and that’s the one it’s trying to push but sadly it’s getting slightly lost largely due to what I might call white interference, which has become far too prevalent in street protest, taking of the knee and alienating sections of an otherwise supporting public.
Millwall fans. on 10:42 - Dec 6 with 1918 viewsSt_Pollock

Why are posts mentioning Flo Lloyd Hughes being removed?

If she's happy to express her opinions on this at every opportunity on a public platform we should have the rights to discuss her on here.

She has turned herself into a public QPR '' personality' so we should not avoid discussing her just because some admin are friends with her.
Millwall fans. on 10:51 - Dec 6 with 1911 viewsdistortR

Millwall fans. on 08:48 - Dec 6 by Gloucs_R

Well his girlfriend is American Korean but he was on his own. 50s, white, short hair (as he's losing it) and was one of only a few people told to get out of their car by a mob. Interestingly though, he said it wasn't just black people in the mob... He said the most vocal were the manly lesbian types. Very aggressive and loud.

Fair to say he sh1t himself and did what he was told.

there is shit in all colours, creeds whatever, which should be enough to kill off racism, really.

Absolutism is a curse.
Millwall fans. on 11:00 - Dec 6 with 1895 viewsGloryHunter

A Government Minister says he respects the Millwall fans:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/06/millwall-fans-who-booed-players-ta
Millwall fans. on 11:28 - Dec 6 with 1846 viewsTopCat34

BLM the political party is separate to BLM the movement, and trying to put them together is an attempt to confuse the debate.

A political party can be disagreed with but a movement for racial equality is not up for discussion - it's something we should all be behind. As far as I can tell, taking the knee is part of the movement, not the party, and therefore booing it is nothing more than scum behaviour.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:29]
Millwall fans. on 11:40 - Dec 6 with 1816 viewsqprd

Millwall fans. on 10:42 - Dec 6 by St_Pollock

Why are posts mentioning Flo Lloyd Hughes being removed?

If she's happy to express her opinions on this at every opportunity on a public platform we should have the rights to discuss her on here.

She has turned herself into a public QPR '' personality' so we should not avoid discussing her just because some admin are friends with her.

i think you should do a bit of self-reflection
Millwall fans. on 11:43 - Dec 6 with 1803 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 11:40 - Dec 6 by qprd

i think you should do a bit of self-reflection

A period of self reflection for asking why a self made QPR personality who expresses views on a public platform has posts with her name in them removed?

Righty ho...
Millwall fans. on 11:49 - Dec 6 with 1794 viewsLythamR

Millwall fans. on 11:28 - Dec 6 by TopCat34

BLM the political party is separate to BLM the movement, and trying to put them together is an attempt to confuse the debate.

A political party can be disagreed with but a movement for racial equality is not up for discussion - it's something we should all be behind. As far as I can tell, taking the knee is part of the movement, not the party, and therefore booing it is nothing more than scum behaviour.

Indeed

Taking the Knee for Black Lives Matter is/was simply meant to be showing support for Black people to be treated fairly in society.

Personally I think its impactful time has gone in terms of football matches but anyone actually booing players for taking a knee while they continue to do so is displaying overt racism in my book.
Millwall fans. on 11:52 - Dec 6 with 1776 viewsSt_Pollock

Millwall fans. on 11:28 - Dec 6 by TopCat34

The two have become synonymous, that's the problem.

Another problem is that, as Les said, it's become pointless and a gimmick that is diluting any message it was meant to express.
Millwall fans. on 11:54 - Dec 6 with 1775 viewsjohnhoop

Clive must absolutely love whoever started this thread.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024