Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Willock: How Good Can He Be? 23:35 - Feb 2 with 4009 viewsDylanP

From recent performances, there seems to be a lot to like in Willock. He seems to be growing in confidence and, with it, making more and more of a contribution. He is listed as a striker but looks more like an attack-minded midfielder. Against Watford he played an important role in both goals and made a real contribution.

Without putting pressure on the lad (not that he reads this board) I hope he has done enough to stay on the team sheet and that he grows into a freekin legend!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 23:54 - Feb 2 with 3525 viewsLythamR

hes good very good control, is nimble and plays with his head up. needs a bit more steel adding and championship game experience and he could be extremely good in this division,
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 01:45 - Feb 3 with 3455 viewsEmpireStateRanger

I thought he kind of moved with a bit of awkwardness on the pitch when got his first minutes in here. Not necessarily in a bad way, but in sort of a raw, untapped potential way.

Now... he seems so graceful and his instincts seem to be top-notch. Think he's a player that thrives when confident, and that goal against Cardiff seems to have done wonders. Looking forward to seeing how he does the rest of the season.
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 07:04 - Feb 3 with 3349 viewsnix

I think he's got a hell of a lot of potential. He's got good feet, reads the game well, seemingly a good attitude and can put in a great cross. He lacks confidence, experience at this level and a bit of bulk but that's improving. The other thing is I thought there was something about him from the first time I saw him, which happens rarely with new players.

If he can grow in confidence enough to start imposing himself on a game he could be another real find. There are signs already this is happening and it says a lot about him that he wanted to come to somewhere like QPR. He obviously wants to do an Eze and improve and learn rather than sit on a Premiership bench and count his earnings.

Maybe Arsenal have the wrong Willock!
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 7:06]
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 08:55 - Feb 3 with 3244 viewsmcqpr10

Liked him from the first time i saw him, and weirdly, despite not playing too regularly i think we can all see he is improving already.

Warburton is a great manager for an attacking minded young player like him,a Hodgson type would play him left midfield and want him to track back.

No doubt the 3 at the back has limited his chances of playing further. However having seen Bonne and Dykes not convince I would be tempted to play him next to charlie with Chair buzzing around too.
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 09:06 - Feb 3 with 3211 viewsCamberleyR

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 07:04 - Feb 3 by nix

I think he's got a hell of a lot of potential. He's got good feet, reads the game well, seemingly a good attitude and can put in a great cross. He lacks confidence, experience at this level and a bit of bulk but that's improving. The other thing is I thought there was something about him from the first time I saw him, which happens rarely with new players.

If he can grow in confidence enough to start imposing himself on a game he could be another real find. There are signs already this is happening and it says a lot about him that he wanted to come to somewhere like QPR. He obviously wants to do an Eze and improve and learn rather than sit on a Premiership bench and count his earnings.

He was also at Arsenal in the past alongside his brother getting his 'academy education' so beloved of Warbs.

I like the fact that he was willing to leave Arsenal at 19 years of age and try his luck abroad at Benfica rather than stay there picking up contract renewals, the occasional league cup game and endless loan spells elsewhere. It didn't work out for him there not getting in the first team but it says a lot about his attitude.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 09:22 - Feb 3 with 3172 viewsbosh67

I think if he could put on about half a stone in muscle bulk to be more physical then he could be a real baller. Feels slightly lightweight at the moment but has bags of talent and he's quick across the pitch.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 09:24 - Feb 3 with 3162 viewsLazyFan

Good scouting by QPR here, £750k for him is very cheap for a 22-year-old with such skills and potential.

Also then we had to convince him to move, which for him at the stage of his career is a big move as he needs it to work or he could fall down the leagues and never realise the big monies that could set him up for life.

Sure you can say they should want to play football, but desires do not pay for mortgages.

zzzzzzzzzz

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 09:43 - Feb 3 with 3129 viewsMalintabuk

Similar age to BOS and even with his limited development IMO he produces more end product than BOS
Possibly not as quick physically but in thought process on end product he is ahead (no pun)
Think he as the makings of a good player and certainly a decent prospect
Login to get fewer ads

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 09:44 - Feb 3 with 3132 viewsessextaxiboy

I wasnt sure when he arrived but i like his energy and commitment .

Just as long as he has doesnt have a decent 18 months , establish himself in the team and start to believe he is the next big thing , find an agent who advises him badly ,, does a moody on us and finds himself on the next plane to ..... I dunno ..... Turkey ?
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 09:50 - Feb 3 with 3108 viewsOakR

I like him, a lot.

Great feet, looking for those difficult through balls , I think he's going to be a great player for us.

If Chair's not playing, I think he could almost be given a free role across the pitch.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 10:01 - Feb 3 with 3082 views00calben

Better player than Chair IMO, did 10x more in his 20 mins that Chair in 80 mins against Watford despite the commentators seemingly believing Ilias in the new Zidane in the first half!

That sounds like a criticism of Chair, sorry it’s not meant to be. I just think we pin a lot of hope on him when there are actually better players in the squad.

Agree with previous poster who mentioned confidence - this is where Austin is massive for us. Without Austin we lose that game to nil, no question (see Bonne’s chance 2 mins before the equaliser). With him in the side suddenly we are scoring chances we create and dragging ourselves back in to games, picking up points when previously we would have lost. This is massive for the likes of Willock and Chair because they are not yet at the stage where they can grab the game/team by scruff of the neck and turn it around themselves, but with Austin in there all they need is to create a half chance or two and suddenly they’re creating goals and playing with real confidence.

It’s also great that he’s proving he can play in the current system. I was pretty concerned with how many wingers we signed to then abandon playing with wingers and go to 5 at the back (although I agree with the tactical switch because of the weakness in defence) so it’s a pleasant surprise to see him thriving in this set up
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 10:09 - Feb 3 with 3070 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Excellent cameo on Monday but let's not get too carried away. There's tangible signs of quality there but there's work to do if he is to realise his potential. If he can add some consistency, we could well have a player on our hands.
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 10:31 - Feb 3 with 3010 viewssdm1508

I think he looks a real talent. Sadly at the moment the only position I think he could play in our current setup is Attacking Midfield. Maybe if Stefan when up to speed is holding the midfield together and Willock puts on a bit of bulk he could play centre midfield. Didn't do to bad there the other week. Currently we play with 2 holding players and 1 advanced, in Chair. Maybe with Stefan, we could play with one holding midfield player and 2 advanced in Willock and Chair, dropping back when we don't have the ball.

It might be also the case that if Chair is the next one to go, even with his new long term contract (means we get more money for him) we have a ready made replacement. In some ways I like Willock in that role a bit more as he releases the ball a bit quicker and seems a bit more decisive a the moment but that could just be a confidence thing, where maybe Chair is lacking slightly at the moment and second guessing himself
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 12:05 - Feb 3 with 2930 viewsTacticalR

When he first arrived he looked a skillful player, but he had this 'I'm a Premiership player don't tackle me' vibe, and got targetted by the opposition. It took him a while to realise that the oppo could get away with stuff in the Championship that wouldn't be allowed in the Premiership. He seems to have adapted now.

Air hostess clique

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 12:26 - Feb 3 with 2866 viewsPeterHucker

I think we need to be starting with either Willock or Adomah.
People have been a little critical of Chair recently but if you looking at the recent starting lineups, Chair is the only player out there likely to create any service for the strikers.
As discussed on other threads, I think the plan is that the wingbacks will also do that but that's not really happening is it.
So with Chair being the main threat, opposition just stick men on him to nullify that. If we had Willock or Adomah on the pitch as well then that would take some pressure off Chair.
Not sure how we fit either of them in whilst playing 2 up front and 3 at the back though!
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 13:38 - Feb 3 with 2798 viewsdanehoop

I think probably give credit to the club with how they are handling some of the younger players, bringing them is carefully, giving some good game time, but also being sensitive to protecting them and developing them.

Willock is a good example of that, clearly lots of potential, but needs to be coached correctly to make the best of it. He has I think started to bulk up more than when first arrived and seems to have much better clarity or what his role is and what is expected of him. Each appearance he seems to grow a little more and, as others have mentioned, the arrival of Charlie really seems to have started to instil confidence and belief that was previously lacked. He will also be learning no end from working with Chris Ramsay and the rest of the coaching team, not to mention following how Uncle seems to handle himself.

I think we have good one here, not the finished product by a long shot, but this time next season, all being well, he should start be delivering more consistently for the side, hopefully adding a zero and additional multiple to his value.

Never knowingly understood

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 13:56 - Feb 3 with 2761 viewsTonto

Its a pleasant conversation to be having - Willock is one of a few youngsters who, as many have said, are improving and increasing their potential transfer fees. I know its the Brentford model, but it does feel like there is a decent "business model" being installed, and that is good for the long term future of the club.

I think its too soon to anoint Willock as the second coming of Eze, as he has only played in fits and spurts. As Clive often says in his reports, you need to have 80 odd games under your belt before we can really see what potential you have. THats why its a shame BOS chose to decant rather than stay and continue to improve.

we will win some and lose some though, and as long as we win more than we lose we should be happy. Willock has passed go, so lets keep our fingers corssed.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 14:02 - Feb 3 with 2749 viewsaston_hoop

I'm reminded that at 16, Arsene Wenger believed he could be some player in the future

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/21/arsene-wenger-16-chris-willock-

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 14:04 - Feb 3 with 2738 viewsBklynRanger

Wenger praised Willers' technical ability a long time ago so the quality is there, and he's quite unpredictable in the way he plays - seems to have a knack of keeping defenders slightly off balance.

Most of it seems to be about fitness and form which looks to be most definitely beginning to arrive, so all very encouraging.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 14:09]
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 14:10 - Feb 3 with 2719 viewsBklynRanger

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 14:02 - Feb 3 by aston_hoop

I'm reminded that at 16, Arsene Wenger believed he could be some player in the future

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/21/arsene-wenger-16-chris-willock-

Yeah - that!...
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 15:41 - Feb 3 with 2615 viewsMyke

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 07:04 - Feb 3 by nix

I think they let the bro out on loan too
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 16:03 - Feb 3 with 2578 viewsnix

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 15:41 - Feb 3 by Myke

I think they let the bro out on loan too

Yeah they did. It was just a gag really but it's also true that they released Chris but Joe is only out on loan after having a couple of games in the first team.

Obviously in the real world we're nowhere near knowing what the differing potentials are of the two players after such a short period with us.
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 16:38 - Feb 3 with 2518 viewsNorthantsHoop

Progressing very nicely, gets his first goal at Cardiff, delivers a peach of a cross for Charlie's goal on Monday. I like the way he is so direct and gets a shot away, also good control and has the ability to go past players. Now that BOS has gone, his opportunity to shine is going to improve.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2021 16:39]
Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 17:07 - Feb 3 with 2472 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I thought the ball for Thomas in the build-up to the second goal was real quality. Nice footwork, gets free, head up, spots the run and a (yes, here it comes) a slide-rule pass!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Willock: How Good Can He Be? on 17:18 - Feb 3 with 2451 viewsQPROslo

Willock has looked good since he joined us and is clearly improving. My worry with him is his fitness level as he seems to be blowing after playing 30 minutes or so Hopefully this is improving too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024