Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Lumley has gone...... 16:09 - May 19 with 8427 viewsSilverfoxqpr

........to Middlesbrough.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/joe-lumley-departs-for-middlesbrough-190521
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 21:41 - May 19 with 2100 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Best of luck Joe

We'll miss you.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 21:59 - May 19 with 2040 viewsDorse

Sad to see him go. He is a class act and a gentleman.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:03 - May 19 with 2034 viewsAntti_Heinola

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:15 - May 19 by daveB

I just think that's 4 players who had/have potential to either be worth a few quid or become regulars for us and for a variety of reasons it hasn't worked out. I just think if we are quite rightly going to celebrate the success such as Eze, Chair, Deing etc we can and need to learn from the ones that should have worked but didn't.

So what would you have done differently?

Bare bones.

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:33 - May 19 with 1961 viewsdaveB

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:03 - May 19 by Antti_Heinola

So what would you have done differently?

I don't have an answer to be honest just raising a concern and wondering if there is anything they can do better. I just think 3 years ago you had Smyth, Lumley, Bright and Manning all looking like they would go on and be good players for us and possibly go onto bigger things so for a club who are trying to have a model where you develop players do you just say that didn't work onto the next one or is there something they could do differently?

We have a batch at the club at the moment such as Masterson, Bettache, Kakay, Kellman and Walsh who seem to be highly thought of as Lumley and co were a few years back and I would hope they don't end up going the same way.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:46 - May 19 with 1935 viewsMyke

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:58 - May 19 by PinnerPaul

Don't think Joe - 26 and over 120 1st team games can be called 'young' or a 'prospect' Dave!

Not in footballing terms anyway!

You are making the common mistake Pinner of placing goalkeepers in the same development and age bracket as outfield players. Keepers can ( and often do) play into their late thirties or up to forty, they also often play their best football in their early/mid thirties. Which means that Lumley, if he can stay fit an injury free, has another 12/14 years ahead of him and may not reach his full potential for another 6/8 years. Equating that with an outfield player would place them somewhere between 20 and 22. Therefore, in goalkeeping terms, Joe is indeed, both young and a prospect.
I, for one, am very sorry to see him go. Disgracefully treated by some 'fans' and, at the very end by Warburton too - not much evidence of his much chronicled 'respect is the most important thing' in his final dealings with Lumley.
It is the right move for Joe - but not for us.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:49 - May 19 with 1928 viewsMyke

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:28 - May 19 by bakerloo8

Literally nobody went home fuming from a qpr perspective did they? Really?
Or is it an excuse to coat off fans who's opinions may differ to yours?

Can't comment on fans because I wasn't there,but Clive hammered him for it in his match report
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:59 - May 19 with 1899 viewsMyke

Warburton wants Walsh to go out on loan, but I think that depends on where we are goalkeeper wise nearer the start of the new season. Hopefully Dieng stays for another season, Barnes or Kelly his back up and Walsh gets enough experience elsewhere to be ready to step up in 12 months time
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 07:31 - May 20 with 1736 viewsgazza1

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:46 - May 19 by Myke

You are making the common mistake Pinner of placing goalkeepers in the same development and age bracket as outfield players. Keepers can ( and often do) play into their late thirties or up to forty, they also often play their best football in their early/mid thirties. Which means that Lumley, if he can stay fit an injury free, has another 12/14 years ahead of him and may not reach his full potential for another 6/8 years. Equating that with an outfield player would place them somewhere between 20 and 22. Therefore, in goalkeeping terms, Joe is indeed, both young and a prospect.
I, for one, am very sorry to see him go. Disgracefully treated by some 'fans' and, at the very end by Warburton too - not much evidence of his much chronicled 'respect is the most important thing' in his final dealings with Lumley.

Keepers can ( and often do) play into their late thirties or up to forty, they also often play their best football in their early/mid thirties........Evidence please??

Disgracefully treated by some 'fans' and, at the very end by Warburton too .....what has MW done wrong??
[Post edited 20 May 2021 7:32]
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 07:36 - May 20 with 1728 viewsgazza1

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:42 - May 19 by robith

Sorry mate, I'll update my post to ensure it excludes you

Thankyou, not sure what abuse he got fired at him by others.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 08:28 - May 20 with 1674 viewsNorthernr

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:49 - May 19 by Myke

Can't comment on fans because I wasn't there,but Clive hammered him for it in his match report

Did I? I said it was a poor mistake (it was), he should have saved it (he should), and he was having a bad time of it (he was).

That really should have been that. Referee England took a half with three goals, two reasonably serious injuries and six substitutions and added one minute to it. An assessor-displeasing mercy killing if ever I saw one, but QPR being QPR couldn’t get through it without conceding a 25 yarder from Will Vaulks that Joe Lumley saw all the way and still somehow flapped into the top corner of his own net. Another desperately poor mistake from a troubled goalkeeper agonisingly short of a moral-boosting clean sheet and beautifully executed first half assist for which his team mates were all quick to congratulate him for. We’re just not allowed to have nice things are we?
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 08:30 - May 20 with 1663 viewswestberksr

seems like a nice lad and when he first stepped into the first team the signs were very encouraging; particularly given how young he was. enjoyed actually hearing a vocal keeper instructing defenders and contributing when we had so few 'talkers'.

his form did dip but the stick he got was excessive (always is with some of our 'fans') and seemed to affect him, as did the kick in the head at Villa. But always conducted himself really well, even when loaned out and then coming back in; a real team player.

Really pleased for him to get a couple of really decent performances in before leaving to hopefully remind a few people that he's not bad after all. Good luck at Boro Joe.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 10:21 - May 20 with 1571 viewsBazzeR

Can the club afford to loan out Joe Walsh being as Senny could certainly be included in Senegal’s CONCAF World Cup qualifiers which are now rumoured to begin in Sept 2021
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 10:31 - May 20 with 1543 viewsCamberleyR

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 10:21 - May 20 by BazzeR

Can the club afford to loan out Joe Walsh being as Senny could certainly be included in Senegal’s CONCAF World Cup qualifiers which are now rumoured to begin in Sept 2021

I get it that he wants to play international football but this is the sort of thing that worried me when he opted for Senegal rather than wait for the eventual call from Switzerland. There is also the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations taking place over four weeks in January/February next year.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 14:42 - May 20 with 1430 viewsfrancisbowles

I don't think it's been mentioned recently but Lumley, Bright and Manning were all offered contract extensions but turned them down.

Myke, without knowing what really happened, I think your being a bit harsh on Warburton. His first choice keeper was available (rightly or wrongly) and he made a decision. Lumley may have kicked off but he was leaving anyway and it was good to get Walsh involved on a couple of match days. You may have disagreed with his decision but to question his integrity?

Anyway, I wish Lumley all the best, thanks for your ten years of loyal service and I am sure you can be number one for 'brough.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 14:55 - May 20 with 1385 viewsjoe90

Good luck Joe. Conducted himself very well and ended with two good performances.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:04 - May 20 with 1305 viewsPinnerPaul

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:46 - May 19 by Myke

Fair enough, ignore his age, with 120+ games, I think it would be unusual to suddenly improve now, but agree he's decent keeper, just can't ever see him being better than Seny
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 22:44 - May 20 with 1186 viewsMyke

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 07:31 - May 20 by gazza1

Keepers can ( and often do) play into their late thirties or up to forty, they also often play their best football in their early/mid thirties........Evidence please??

Disgracefully treated by some 'fans' and, at the very end by Warburton too .....what has MW done wrong??

Seriously? - Where do I start. I'll just throw one name at you - Buffon; just retired, aged 42

Warburton has always said whoever has the shirt, has the right to keep it and it's up to his contender to take t off him. Deing gets red-carded and picks up a nasty facial injury. Lumley comes in, makes two outstanding saves. Plays v Swansea and keeps a clean sheet. Dieng straight back in, despite wearing a mask and throws one into the net v Norwich. Lumley's 'reward' for playing excellently and behaving excellently prior to Dieng's injury (our most vocal supporter) is to be bombed out of the squad for the last two games and ultimately the club.
I wonder if we needed a result v Norwich (or if Warnock had not mistakenly believed they were still on the pi$$ after winning promotion) would he have chanced a half-fit Dieng and stuck a rookie on the bench?
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 23:05 - May 20 with 1155 viewsMyke

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 08:28 - May 20 by Northernr

Did I? I said it was a poor mistake (it was), he should have saved it (he should), and he was having a bad time of it (he was).

That really should have been that. Referee England took a half with three goals, two reasonably serious injuries and six substitutions and added one minute to it. An assessor-displeasing mercy killing if ever I saw one, but QPR being QPR couldn’t get through it without conceding a 25 yarder from Will Vaulks that Joe Lumley saw all the way and still somehow flapped into the top corner of his own net. Another desperately poor mistake from a troubled goalkeeper agonisingly short of a moral-boosting clean sheet and beautifully executed first half assist for which his team mates were all quick to congratulate him for. We’re just not allowed to have nice things are we?

Firstly, Clive, you didn't just call it a 'poor mistake' you said it was 'another desperately poor mistake' 'Another' unnecessarily highlighted his previous errors, while the use of the adverb disproportionately exaggerated the magnitude of this one, both in the the seriousness of the mistake - he didn't 'flap it into the top corner'; it was a very decent shot, if we had scored it (eg Eze v Luton ) we'd have been well pleased - and in the overall context of the game/result.
Secondly, leading on from the latter point, you dedicated a full paragraph to it, when it barely deserved a byline. It was a non-event in what was our most dominant performance (certainly in terms of goals scored) of the season.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 23:33 - May 20 with 1118 viewsNed_Kennedys

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 23:05 - May 20 by Myke

Firstly, Clive, you didn't just call it a 'poor mistake' you said it was 'another desperately poor mistake' 'Another' unnecessarily highlighted his previous errors, while the use of the adverb disproportionately exaggerated the magnitude of this one, both in the the seriousness of the mistake - he didn't 'flap it into the top corner'; it was a very decent shot, if we had scored it (eg Eze v Luton ) we'd have been well pleased - and in the overall context of the game/result.
Secondly, leading on from the latter point, you dedicated a full paragraph to it, when it barely deserved a byline. It was a non-event in what was our most dominant performance (certainly in terms of goals scored) of the season.

We get that you really liked Lumley but he was a keeper who made numerous and regular mistakes and was way behind Dieng in all areas as our goals against column this season proves.

He’s gone: time to move on.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 00:27 - May 21 with 1081 viewsCiderwithRsie

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 07:31 - May 20 by gazza1

I don't entirely agree with Myke's argument here, especially not about Warburton, but its bloody obvious that keepers are generally at their best a bit later than outfield players, and it tends to be in their early-mid-thirties.

Example 1: David Seaman of this parish, born September 1963, played for us 1986-90 aged 22-27, played for Arsenal 1990-2003 aged 27-40, at his best around 1996-2002 when he was England's first choice keeper aged 33-39, though he was still England's No 1 for another two years.

Example 2: Shilton displaced Clemence as rival c.1982 aged 33 and carried on as England's first choice until 1990 aged 41

Example 3: Gordon Banks was only 28 in '66 but was probably at his peak in 1970 with the Pele save, aged 32; he was only 34 when he retired but that was due to his car crash, he was still "Keeper of the year" in the US at 40 with a dodgy eye.

It'd be harder to name an outstanding keeper who was at his best younger than 30, any who are are usually ones who dropped away badly (Rob Green?). I think it's a positive that Dieng is six months older than Lumley but debuted for us two years after Lumley became our first choice, it's a good sign that as a club we aren't having to throw kids into this role any more, along with actually owning our strikers instead of relying loans.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 07:48 - May 21 with 1005 viewsdistortR

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 08:28 - May 20 by Northernr

reads more like a match report then character assassination.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 07:58 - May 21 with 994 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Before Dieng replaced him, he was not playing well and I certainly had little faith in his ability to make even basic saves so it's fantastic that he got those two games at the end as he played well and looked like he had got his confidence back.

Perhaps it was that kick at Villa that affected him. He has always stayed on his line too much and you definitely saw the difference with Dieng who is very strong off his line and coming for crosses. He was always an excellent shot stopper and that's what he lost when his form dipped. All the best in the future.
[Post edited 21 May 2021 7:59]
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 08:33 - May 21 with 966 viewsQPROslo

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 23:33 - May 20 by Ned_Kennedys

We get that you really liked Lumley but he was a keeper who made numerous and regular mistakes and was way behind Dieng in all areas as our goals against column this season proves.

He’s gone: time to move on.

Behind Dieng, yes, but not way behind. As we apparently made him a new offer, the Club probably thought that too. Lumley looks as good as, or better than Dieng in making saves on his goal line, but I think Dieng is better at the rest, command of his area and footwork /distribution in particular. Dieng also lost some form towards the end of the season, hope he has it back again in August.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 08:55 - May 21 with 922 viewsCamberleyR

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 00:27 - May 21 by CiderwithRsie

I don't entirely agree with Myke's argument here, especially not about Warburton, but its bloody obvious that keepers are generally at their best a bit later than outfield players, and it tends to be in their early-mid-thirties.

Example 1: David Seaman of this parish, born September 1963, played for us 1986-90 aged 22-27, played for Arsenal 1990-2003 aged 27-40, at his best around 1996-2002 when he was England's first choice keeper aged 33-39, though he was still England's No 1 for another two years.

Example 2: Shilton displaced Clemence as rival c.1982 aged 33 and carried on as England's first choice until 1990 aged 41

Example 3: Gordon Banks was only 28 in '66 but was probably at his peak in 1970 with the Pele save, aged 32; he was only 34 when he retired but that was due to his car crash, he was still "Keeper of the year" in the US at 40 with a dodgy eye.

It'd be harder to name an outstanding keeper who was at his best younger than 30, any who are are usually ones who dropped away badly (Rob Green?). I think it's a positive that Dieng is six months older than Lumley but debuted for us two years after Lumley became our first choice, it's a good sign that as a club we aren't having to throw kids into this role any more, along with actually owning our strikers instead of relying loans.

I think to gazza's list you could also add:

Domestically - Pat Jennings, Phil Parkes, Peter Schmeichel, Neville Southall, Nigel Martyn

Internationally - Dino Zoff, Sepp Maier, Iker Casillas, Edwin van der Sar, Hugo Lloris

Loads more examples.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 09:11 - May 21 with 874 viewsBazzeR

Looking from the outside having 3 very capable Keepers last season produced a competitive edge which clearly benefited the club and all parties involved.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024