Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Lumley has gone...... 16:09 - May 19 with 8428 viewsSilverfoxqpr

........to Middlesbrough.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/joe-lumley-departs-for-middlesbrough-190521
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:28 - May 19 with 1820 viewsbakerloo8

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:17 - May 19 by Juzzie

Fickle fans innit. He got pelters from the fans when Cardiff scored an injury time consolation goal when we beat then 6-1.

Sure, it would have been nice to have not conceded but ultimately it didn't matter, I got over it in about 30 seconds. It was actually a good goal rather than bad keeping and made no difference whatsoever.

I was happy, my boy (his second ever game and first win) was ecstatic we won and saw so many goals yet people were leaving the ground fuming, actually fkin' fuming despite scoring SIX goals. Beggars disbelief why some people even bother going.

Anyways, best of luck Joe.

[Post edited 19 May 2021 17:21]

Literally nobody went home fuming from a qpr perspective did they? Really?
Or is it an excuse to coat off fans who's opinions may differ to yours?
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:34 - May 19 with 1799 viewsAntti_Heinola

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:50 - May 19 by daveB

Shame he's going, thats 4 good young prospects who have left for nothing in the last year (assuming Smyth goes this month), for all the good work that's been done that's something we have to do better on

Struggling to see what else we could have done with Joe, dave? Certainly didn't warrant a contract renewal 2 years ago and was offered one start of the season we've just had. Can't be held to ransom, and actually, unpopular opinion, but i think there was little the club could have done in any of those cases imo. Too many fans reacting with benefit of hindsight.

Bare bones.

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:37 - May 19 with 1780 viewsPinnerPaul

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:34 - May 19 by Antti_Heinola

Struggling to see what else we could have done with Joe, dave? Certainly didn't warrant a contract renewal 2 years ago and was offered one start of the season we've just had. Can't be held to ransom, and actually, unpopular opinion, but i think there was little the club could have done in any of those cases imo. Too many fans reacting with benefit of hindsight.

Indeed and I'm not having Ryan Manning is a prospect, young or not!

I MAY have mentioned him once or twice before!
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:49 - May 19 with 1730 viewsAntti_Heinola

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:28 - May 19 by bakerloo8

you obviously don't sit where i sit.
Really irritatingly I wasn't at this game as was abroad, but I absolutely guarantee there would be some nobheads about who genunely would be fuming about it. There's a guy who sits couple of rows behind me who gets restless if we don't hump it forward at every opportunity and I have genuinely heard him coating off the team when we're 4-0 up.

Bare bones.

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:59 - May 19 with 1682 viewsrobith

Not everyone, but enough people were legit fuming - iirc correctly we hadn't kept a clean sheet in ages and it was the last kick of the game. There were plenty talking of nothing but Lumley where I walked out
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:03 - May 19 with 1659 viewsTGRRRSSS

Assume it's another one where we've got nothing though which is disappointing, not sure he'll get gametime there though, slightly odd from Boro's POV?

What am I missing?
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:15 - May 19 with 1617 viewsBklynRanger

Right decision for him I think. Best of luck to him too - I was very impressed with how supportive and motivated he came across as number 2 this season.

Wonder if that means Motherwell loose out on Kelly?
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:31 - May 19 with 1542 viewspaulparker

Good luck to the lad he seems a fan so I hope he goes on to good things, he has all the attributes, tall,loud and not a bad shot stopper
He had enough appearances to cement a place but couldn’t , we have better so me move on

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:37 - May 19 with 1527 viewsed_83

Sorry to see him go but absolutely right that he looks for regular first-team football, which he wasn't going to get here with Seny.

Huge respect for the way he carried himself this season, both in terms of his attitude and presence on the bench, and for stepping back into the team so superbly when called on. Hope he has a successful time at Middlesbrough, except for giving away a couple of Luton-esque howlers against us.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:40 - May 19 with 1515 viewsBoston

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:16 - May 19 by robith

Fun game.

On the official tweet annoucing it - take the twitter handle of people saying letting him go was a bad decision and put it in the search bar with "lumley"

Their opinion was probably slightly different even oh say 5 months ago

To be fair to the twits, although a popular player with this board, he still fell in and out of favour as the first team starter on at least two occasions.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:43 - May 19 with 1507 viewsslmrstid

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:15 - May 19 by BklynRanger

Right decision for him I think. Best of luck to him too - I was very impressed with how supportive and motivated he came across as number 2 this season.

Wonder if that means Motherwell loose out on Kelly?

Given Walsh and Barnes are still on the books I wonder if Kelly would be off too? Senior keeper in Dieng as #1, youngster in Walsh as #2, or Barnes #2 with youngster Walsh #3 and the odd loan...
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:45 - May 19 with 1498 viewscolinallcars

I wish him all good fortune but as we always say, not when he plays against us.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:46 - May 19 with 1498 viewsLeedsR

Best of luck Joe. Probably the best outcome for all in the circumstances. He would want regular first team football, and as is the current state of things, wasn’t going to get it with us with the emergence of Dieng.

Decent keeper, top bloke by all accounts. Deserved a bit of criticism when it got tough, but certainly not to the extent of the vitriol that was aimed his way.

Always gave it his all. Was coming back to the form and command he had before his injury at Villa. He deserves another shot and I think he is easily good enough to be a decent Championship keeper.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:49 - May 19 with 1489 viewsGuppy

Cue MOTM performance in next seasons fixture
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:50 - May 19 with 1480 viewsstevec

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:50 - May 19 by daveB

Shame he's going, thats 4 good young prospects who have left for nothing in the last year (assuming Smyth goes this month), for all the good work that's been done that's something we have to do better on

On the other hand, if the salary alluded to was correct, including gross national insurance that’s another 400 grand a year we can add back to the wage kitty.

I think the club maybe getting its mojo back.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:53 - May 19 with 1476 viewsBoston

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 18:43 - May 19 by slmrstid

Given Walsh and Barnes are still on the books I wonder if Kelly would be off too? Senior keeper in Dieng as #1, youngster in Walsh as #2, or Barnes #2 with youngster Walsh #3 and the odd loan...

I'd say you're itk on that opinion.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:11 - May 19 with 1435 viewsdaveB

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 16:58 - May 19 by PinnerPaul

Don't think Joe - 26 and over 120 1st team games can be called 'young' or a 'prospect' Dave!

Not in footballing terms anyway!

Meant more he was a young prospect came through from youth team, played a lot of games for us was seen as one who would be sold for big money or play for us for many years. To lose him for next to nothing much the same as Manning, Smyth and Bright is a failure on the clubs part
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:15 - May 19 with 1421 viewsdaveB

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 17:34 - May 19 by Antti_Heinola

I just think that's 4 players who had/have potential to either be worth a few quid or become regulars for us and for a variety of reasons it hasn't worked out. I just think if we are quite rightly going to celebrate the success such as Eze, Chair, Deing etc we can and need to learn from the ones that should have worked but didn't.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:18 - May 19 with 1409 viewsJuzzie

Nothing to do with differing opinions, just OTT reactions. There were people around me fuming because we conceded a goal after being 6-0 up.

Here’s the match thread and from when Cardiff scored people were complaining about Lumley and there were other people, including me!, who thought the complaints were not called for.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/252225/page:9
[Post edited 19 May 2021 19:51]
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:33 - May 19 with 1369 viewsaston_hoop

Good luck Joe, always comes across as a good lad and I'm delighted his final performances for us were positive.

Next season If we can have Dieng with Kelly happy to be his number 2, Walsh getting some experience on loan as Warbs mentioned earlier in the week then things are going to be fine in that department.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:41 - May 19 with 1349 viewsbosh67

Good luck Joe. His last 2 performances for us were outstanding and he never stopped loving the team from the sidelines. All the best. Really good guy and excellent keeper.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 20:02 - May 19 with 1300 viewskensalriser

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 19:15 - May 19 by daveB

I just think that's 4 players who had/have potential to either be worth a few quid or become regulars for us and for a variety of reasons it hasn't worked out. I just think if we are quite rightly going to celebrate the success such as Eze, Chair, Deing etc we can and need to learn from the ones that should have worked but didn't.

As far as Smyth and Lumley go I think it's clear they didn't reach the performance levels that would lead to big money moves, and you could possibly add Manning to that given he hasn't been able to oust Bidwell as first choice. I don't see how the club can really be blamed for that.

I wonder if Lumley will be first choice at Boro.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 21:06 - May 19 with 1150 viewsdaveB

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 20:02 - May 19 by kensalriser

As far as Smyth and Lumley go I think it's clear they didn't reach the performance levels that would lead to big money moves, and you could possibly add Manning to that given he hasn't been able to oust Bidwell as first choice. I don't see how the club can really be blamed for that.

I wonder if Lumley will be first choice at Boro.

Oh yeah I'm not saying they should have gone for big money of course with Lumley and Smyth you were not going to get much for them but I just look back and think they signed new deals 2/3 years ago now with high hopes for the pair so is there something the club could have done to avoid that happening.

I'm not looking to blame anyone really and not sure anyone really is to blame but just think we have 4 players there who promised a lot and have just faded away so I would hope the club look at that and see what they can do differently next time.

I'd look at it at the moment and you have this keeper Walsh, the strikers Kellman and Armstrong plus Bettache who there seems to be high hopes for, what can the club do differently to ensure they don't go the same way as these 4 have.

We have of course had success stories with Eze & Chair and I'm in no way looking to have a moan or pop at the club i just thing there must be something the club can learn from this whether it is the loans they picked for these players or the lack of first team opportunities or something else. We need to have a very high success rate with these players being developed for the first team or to be sold and there is room for improvement here.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 21:06 - May 19 with 1144 viewsrsonist

Can only see Kelly staying as backup with a contractual gun to his head, or I guess in some unlikely scenario we keep him farmed out perma-loaned awaiting the day a bid comes in for Seny. The time he's had back in Scotland he'll probably be fuming he's not in the Euros squad if not even in contention for the starting spot.

It's not easy judging keepers, clearly. Even loans out don't paint a full picture - Dieng was no better for Donny than Lumley was for Blackpool, probably less convincing in fact. It's not like any of us could say Kelly is bad exactly on the basis of how he performed either. And then when they get kicked in the head...

The nature of the position being what it is though I've never really gotten on with our strategy in that area. To me having three competing young-but-not-that-young keepers of the same age and profile around guarantees wastage in terms of confused development and a near-impossibility to render value from sale.

The Barnes signing always got the attention but he was at least a backup that knows his place, not someone whose career we were toying with. Signing Kelly was way weirder, regardless of his quality.

Platonic ideal old as time - undisputed #1 you stick with, backup who's either a designated/career backup who has a squad presence or an old keeper in a semi-coaching role, hungry young one waiting for #1 to properly lose his place.

But then if I was in charge we'd probably never have ended up with Dieng now.

All hail the great Brian Murphy.
Joe Lumley has gone...... on 21:30 - May 19 with 1079 viewsQPR_John

Joe Lumley has gone...... on 21:06 - May 19 by daveB

Oh yeah I'm not saying they should have gone for big money of course with Lumley and Smyth you were not going to get much for them but I just look back and think they signed new deals 2/3 years ago now with high hopes for the pair so is there something the club could have done to avoid that happening.

I'm not looking to blame anyone really and not sure anyone really is to blame but just think we have 4 players there who promised a lot and have just faded away so I would hope the club look at that and see what they can do differently next time.

I'd look at it at the moment and you have this keeper Walsh, the strikers Kellman and Armstrong plus Bettache who there seems to be high hopes for, what can the club do differently to ensure they don't go the same way as these 4 have.

We have of course had success stories with Eze & Chair and I'm in no way looking to have a moan or pop at the club i just thing there must be something the club can learn from this whether it is the loans they picked for these players or the lack of first team opportunities or something else. We need to have a very high success rate with these players being developed for the first team or to be sold and there is room for improvement here.

“ I just look back and think they signed new deals 2/3 years ago now with high hopes for the pair so is there something the club could have done to avoid that happening. ”

But what could the club have done. Given them longer contracts at the time. In the case of Lumley, unless Dieng suffered a long term injury or a drastic loss of form, he knew he would not be number one as would the club. Should they have renegotiated his contract six months ago and would he have signed one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024