Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry Match Thread 12:03 - Aug 27 with 28394 viewsPinnerPaul

Lets try and keep my unbeaten match thread starting run and the teams unbeaten run going.

Us 3 Them 1 - Charlie to score 1st

Feeling quite bullish about this one - both the team and the chances of me getting into the ground 1st time!

What could possibly go wrong!
Coventry Match Thread on 23:05 - Aug 28 with 2863 viewsGroveR

Coventry Match Thread on 20:06 - Aug 28 by ManinBlack

I suspect Huddersfield winning 2-1 away to Sheffield United in the South Yorkshire Derby has given them confidence and Reading have not made a good start.

I am pleased with today's win as Coventry had also started the season well and have improved on last season. It was pleasing that we got stronger again late on as Coventry have scored stoppage time winners twice this season so are clearly a fit team. When we won 3-0 against them last season the Coventry local rag described us as mediocre so I am not sure whether they still hold that opinion of us after their team controlled the first half.

This slur on us is not true for the year 2021 where we would have finished third last season on form shown this year had the season only been 23 games of course.

I hope the break now will do us good and allow us to start games better and that it doesn't disrupt the momentum. So far we have largely got away with indifferent starts in this league but if we do cause a sensation and go up then starts like we have been making will see us four down by half time in the Premier league.

If we're 4-0 down by half time in a Premier league game we'll be about £200m better off and 4-0 down.

I want Rangers to win with every fibre of my being but can live with the 2-3 years of financial security a well-managed - but humbling - season up there will give us.
Coventry Match Thread on 07:08 - Aug 29 with 2589 viewsManinBlack

Coventry Match Thread on 23:05 - Aug 28 by GroveR

If we're 4-0 down by half time in a Premier league game we'll be about £200m better off and 4-0 down.

I want Rangers to win with every fibre of my being but can live with the 2-3 years of financial security a well-managed - but humbling - season up there will give us.

I understand the financial point and if it means continually bouncing between the divisions like Norwich, Fulham and West Brom then we get one great season every two years.

However, I don't want us suffering Southampton style humiliations. It was bad enough conceding six to City, Fulham and Chelsea once without it becoming a two yearly event. I want us to be able to compete and not just exist in the top division.
Coventry Match Thread on 07:39 - Aug 29 with 2519 viewsNorthantsHoop

Looking good so far this season, got that winning mentality. If we go up I think we could do fine with sensible purchases and building on what we have under Mark Warburton. To be honest in the 2014/15 last shot at the Prem the club was all over the place, including the management. Anyway let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and just enjoy what is going on at the moment.
Coventry Match Thread on 07:47 - Aug 29 with 2492 viewsnix

Coventry Match Thread on 07:08 - Aug 29 by ManinBlack

I understand the financial point and if it means continually bouncing between the divisions like Norwich, Fulham and West Brom then we get one great season every two years.

However, I don't want us suffering Southampton style humiliations. It was bad enough conceding six to City, Fulham and Chelsea once without it becoming a two yearly event. I want us to be able to compete and not just exist in the top division.

e thing about Norwich and West Brom though was that they've been building a team to win the Championship rather than a team to stay in the Premiership. Less so Fulham, I think.

It's very hard to completely change your team once you go up and expect them to hit the ground running.

One thing our people are trying to do is buy players who might transition into the Prem, with people like Willock, Chair and Field. I honestly think that if we had the resources from a year in the Prem plus the parachute payments we'd have even more chance to do that.

So one season of purgatory might be worth it to secure our future going forward. At least this time we wouldn't be buying Caulkers, Fers and Wright Phillips-type players. You only have to look at the 2014/15 squad to see how much it's packed with the wrong sort of players that this management team wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
Coventry Match Thread on 09:59 - Aug 29 with 2265 viewscpgerber

Dunno if it was mentioned already, but interesting to see Coventry playing in their 1st kit. I prefer to see teams play in their 1st kit wherever possible, so this was quite refreshing to see.
Coventry Match Thread on 10:50 - Aug 29 with 2196 viewsQPROslo

Coventry Match Thread on 09:59 - Aug 29 by cpgerber

Dunno if it was mentioned already, but interesting to see Coventry playing in their 1st kit. I prefer to see teams play in their 1st kit wherever possible, so this was quite refreshing to see.

To be honest for me them wearing similar colours to us made it hard to see who was who in the distance on the stream, rather than "refreshing".
Coventry Match Thread on 11:42 - Aug 29 with 2122 viewsdavman

Coventry Match Thread on 07:47 - Aug 29 by nix

e thing about Norwich and West Brom though was that they've been building a team to win the Championship rather than a team to stay in the Premiership. Less so Fulham, I think.

It's very hard to completely change your team once you go up and expect them to hit the ground running.

One thing our people are trying to do is buy players who might transition into the Prem, with people like Willock, Chair and Field. I honestly think that if we had the resources from a year in the Prem plus the parachute payments we'd have even more chance to do that.

So one season of purgatory might be worth it to secure our future going forward. At least this time we wouldn't be buying Caulkers, Fers and Wright Phillips-type players. You only have to look at the 2014/15 squad to see how much it's packed with the wrong sort of players that this management team wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

It will be a real hard test of this board.

Once they get there, they'll want to stay there, so will be tempted to buy a "better" team. FFP will not be so much an obstacle and so some restraint will be necessary. The hope would be that there is a collective spirit to keep the momentum going and we buy the right characters who fit in straight away. That, and the hope that the players who get us up get rewarded so that any new players are not on oodles more than those already there.

Still, that's getting well ahead of ourselves, isn't it?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Coventry Match Thread on 11:43 - Aug 29 with 2128 viewsPinnerPaul

Coventry Match Thread on 17:07 - Aug 28 by DylanP

Oh yeah, one more thing ... from now on Pinner has to start every match thread. we have a run going so lets not mess with it!

Nice one Pinner

Indeed. No one DARE start the Reading one early!
Login to get fewer ads

Coventry Match Thread on 11:45 - Aug 29 with 2117 viewsPinnerPaul

Coventry Match Thread on 17:24 - Aug 28 by QPRSteve

How did they get away with only one booking?

16 fouls to our 5.

Be interesting to see what Clive makes of the ref.

At least two from memory, without looking anything up.
Coventry Match Thread on 11:47 - Aug 29 with 2108 viewsStainrod

I would just question how much money the board have, given the state of Air Asia.

If (and it is a massive if) we were to go up, think we would go for the Norwich approach this time.
Coventry Match Thread on 12:00 - Aug 29 with 2082 viewsFerdy

The back 5 pushed 10 yards further forward in the second half. Moses had an average 1st half but excellent 2nd. McCallum also improved as the game went on he looks promising useful throw on him to.

Shoutout for johansen thick yellow dark arts trip in the first half.
Coventry Match Thread on 12:21 - Aug 29 with 2029 viewsEsox_Lucius

Coventry Match Thread on 11:47 - Aug 29 by Stainrod

I would just question how much money the board have, given the state of Air Asia.

If (and it is a massive if) we were to go up, think we would go for the Norwich approach this time.

I imagine the money would be from Ruben & Westports Malaysia these days.

The grass is always greener.

Coventry Match Thread on 13:13 - Aug 29 with 1938 viewsLythamR

Coventry Match Thread on 12:21 - Aug 29 by Esox_Lucius

I imagine the money would be from Ruben & Westports Malaysia these days.

I can't believe we are discussing this at all, lets see how we do in September before planning our next premier league strategy!
Coventry Match Thread on 13:21 - Aug 29 with 1920 viewssoops

Coventry Match Thread on 12:00 - Aug 29 by Ferdy

The back 5 pushed 10 yards further forward in the second half. Moses had an average 1st half but excellent 2nd. McCallum also improved as the game went on he looks promising useful throw on him to.

Shoutout for johansen thick yellow dark arts trip in the first half.

Warbs said some of the players were running on empty but it was fantastic to see Stef with a high press on the central backs in the last minute.
Coventry Match Thread on 13:39 - Aug 29 with 1895 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Coventry Match Thread on 11:47 - Aug 29 by Stainrod

Remember QPR is owned by a consortium. Only 2 of the 4 board members are Air Asia; the largest stakeholder is Ruben Gnanalingam, CEO of Westports Malaysia.

If and when QPR achieve promotion to the PL, I'd be in favour of a more prudent approach. The hyper-spending of yesteryear was frankly embarrassing and unnecessary.

In any case, such talk is extremely premature. Let's not get ahead of ourselves; enjoy this season and see where it takes us.
Coventry Match Thread on 13:49 - Aug 29 with 1866 viewsDylanP

Coventry Match Thread on 13:39 - Aug 29 by Benny_the_Ball

Remember QPR is owned by a consortium. Only 2 of the 4 board members are Air Asia; the largest stakeholder is Ruben Gnanalingam, CEO of Westports Malaysia.

If and when QPR achieve promotion to the PL, I'd be in favour of a more prudent approach. The hyper-spending of yesteryear was frankly embarrassing and unnecessary.

In any case, such talk is extremely premature. Let's not get ahead of ourselves; enjoy this season and see where it takes us.

*I, for one, cannot believe you went there!! That is, I can't believe you successfully managed to spell Ruben's last name.

Well done Benny!!
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 13:49]

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Coventry Match Thread on 16:57 - Aug 29 with 1754 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Coventry Match Thread on 13:49 - Aug 29 by DylanP

*I, for one, cannot believe you went there!! That is, I can't believe you successfully managed to spell Ruben's last name.

Well done Benny!!
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 13:49]

The miracle that is copy and paste. Just don't ask me to pronounce it!
Coventry Match Thread on 17:07 - Aug 29 with 1719 viewsBoston

Coventry Match Thread on 23:04 - Aug 28 by Dorse

Jordy de Wijs: a man so hard that he recently won a staring contest with the sun.

Oh yeah, how old is his son?
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 17:07]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coventry Match Thread on 20:08 - Aug 29 with 1553 viewsGloryHunter

Coventry Match Thread on 09:59 - Aug 29 by cpgerber

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when teams wear their "away" strip when it is not necessary for colour-clash purposes. However, in this case, it was blue vs blue, so a bit difficult for the sight-challenged - especially against the backdrop of the ultra-bright perimeter advertising hoardings.
Coventry Match Thread on 20:11 - Aug 29 with 1545 viewsGloryHunter

Coventry Match Thread on 11:43 - Aug 29 by PinnerPaul

Indeed. No one DARE start the Reading one early!

If they accidentally do, can you buy it off them, like with domain names?
Coventry Match Thread on 23:04 - Aug 29 with 1457 viewsMrSheen

Coventry Match Thread on 20:08 - Aug 29 by GloryHunter

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when teams wear their "away" strip when it is not necessary for colour-clash purposes. However, in this case, it was blue vs blue, so a bit difficult for the sight-challenged - especially against the backdrop of the ultra-bright perimeter advertising hoardings.

Much nicer blue than Manchester City this season, lovely to see it again yesterday, good to have them back.
Coventry Match Thread on 12:59 - Aug 30 with 1248 viewsEsox_Lucius

Coventry Match Thread on 13:13 - Aug 29 by LythamR

I can't believe we are discussing this at all, lets see how we do in September before planning our next premier league strategy!

I concur with that sentiment, I was pointing out where the money will be coming from.

The grass is always greener.

Coventry Match Thread on 07:49 - Sep 3 with 943 viewsHantsR

Coventry Match Thread on 07:21 - Aug 28 by HantsR

5yr old grandson coming to KPFS for his first ever football match today, together with his 6yr old brother, for only his second. Their Dad and I will of course be with them, so looking forward to a great day out. 3 - 1 would be even greater!

Thought some here might like to know that this was indeed a great day out. The club responded positively to my request to put a message plus photo of the two boys on the big screen. We were delighted with that, then even more so a couple of days later, when to my surprise, they sent me a keepsake photo image. This may be standard, but it made us feel very special. I think we've got 2 new Rs fans!
Coventry Match Thread on 09:43 - Sep 3 with 841 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Coventry Match Thread on 07:49 - Sep 3 by HantsR

Thought some here might like to know that this was indeed a great day out. The club responded positively to my request to put a message plus photo of the two boys on the big screen. We were delighted with that, then even more so a couple of days later, when to my surprise, they sent me a keepsake photo image. This may be standard, but it made us feel very special. I think we've got 2 new Rs fans!

Brilliant!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Coventry Match Thread on 09:45 - Sep 3 with 833 viewsLeedsR

Coventry Match Thread on 07:49 - Sep 3 by HantsR

Sorry - down arrowed this by accident, meant to up arrow it, but can’t work out how to change it!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024