Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coventry Match Thread 12:03 - Aug 27 with 28751 viewsPinnerPaul

Lets try and keep my unbeaten match thread starting run and the teams unbeaten run going.

Us 3 Them 1 - Charlie to score 1st

Feeling quite bullish about this one - both the team and the chances of me getting into the ground 1st time!

What could possibly go wrong!
Coventry Match Thread on 18:35 - Aug 28 with 3102 viewsMick_S

Coventry Match Thread on 18:30 - Aug 28 by saxbend

I wonder what Robins was thinking when he took Waghorn and Gyokeres off together early into the second half. Coventry were so much weaker without them. Conversely Warburton showed that with his Dykes for Chair substitution that it's utterly irrelevant that I can't see anything in Thomas and Kelman. Warburton can and that's good enough for me.

That was a bad move by Robins. Waghorn gave Dickie a difficult first half. No willy puns intended.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Coventry Match Thread on 18:37 - Aug 28 with 3086 viewsRs_Holy

Coventry Match Thread on 18:07 - Aug 28 by MrSheen

Jordy our best today over the whole game, kept us in it early. Dieng very solid and Dykes made a huge difference. Moses very lively going forward but seemed to be the hole Coventry ran into in the first half.
Two other things - the ref must be the founder of the Campaign for Free Kicks from the Right Place. Only idea in his head, ignored people kicking each other.
Real treat to see Coventry in their sky blue rather a generic away kit. Great support too, though the average age looked about 58.

Yep... MOM definitely a defender today and for me Jordy just about gets the nod. Coventry where good, Robbins has turned them into a very hard working, honest team. But i knew they would tire the longer the game went on. We look good all over the park and I love the way we just keep going and never seem phased by any team/situation.
Coventry Match Thread on 18:38 - Aug 28 with 3065 viewsMrSheen

Coventry Match Thread on 18:35 - Aug 28 by Mick_S

That was a bad move by Robins. Waghorn gave Dickie a difficult first half. No willy puns intended.

I just think he was gassed Mick. He’s always been good, but he was running round like a kitten chasing wool and he was all over.
Coventry Match Thread on 18:48 - Aug 28 with 2971 viewssoops

PinnerPaul, please start the Reading match thread this evening.
Thank you.
😁
Coventry Match Thread on 18:54 - Aug 28 with 2915 viewsMick_S

Coventry Match Thread on 16:37 - Aug 28 by EmpireStateRanger

If that first shot from Barbet went in...

That was absolutely magnificent.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Coventry Match Thread on 19:00 - Aug 28 with 2853 viewsLanhoop

Barbet MOTM for me. Made a number of key blocks in the first half, always available and moving the ball smartly, one amazing diag to Moses that begged a cross but both Moses and Ball ducked out of and then the shot and following up to make himself available to Chas.
Coventry Match Thread on 19:01 - Aug 28 with 2845 viewsHAYESBOY

It was travelling.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Coventry Match Thread on 19:05 - Aug 28 with 2798 viewssupahoopsa

Coventry Match Thread on 18:54 - Aug 28 by Mick_S

That was absolutely magnificent.

See Barbets half volley in all its glory here QPR 2-0 Coventry

http://www.skysports.com/share/12393727

What a hit!!

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Login to get fewer ads

Coventry Match Thread on 19:23 - Aug 28 with 2621 viewsStainrod

Coventry Match Thread on 17:40 - Aug 28 by CiderwithRsie

I'm sure that's at least partly true.

If we can see the high-press and early pressure is a weakness I'm sure Warbs can too. Maybe part of the response is to keep calm and tire the b*ggers out.

In the first year of Warbsball you knew we'd let at least one in but we hoped to get two or three back. This year it's more like we're sure we'll get at least one so even if we do go behind it's not the end of the world, and if we can hang in there we'll get two or three (like today and vs Hull)

Think that's fair.

Don't know why we are so ponderous to start tho', when we are capable of playing with such thunder and passion later in a game. I suppose the concern is that against Fulham or WBA we could be out of the game before we really get going. But maybe that's the difference between the Championship and Prem: hopefully there won't be that many massively clinical strikers we face this season, bar when facing a handful of clubs. Anyway, can't argue with 2nd so we must be doing something right and hopefully this slow start/ how to deal with the high press is something Warbs can wrestle with during the break. How much better to do that work on the back of a win!
Coventry Match Thread on 19:43 - Aug 28 with 2455 viewsLogman

Two great strikes. But there were also two very good first half saves from Dieng missing from those highlights.
Coventry Match Thread on 20:06 - Aug 28 with 2317 viewsManinBlack

Coventry Match Thread on 16:54 - Aug 28 by derbyhoop

Currently second. Although WBA play this evening.

Where did that Huddersfield result (4-0 vs Reading) come from?

I suspect Huddersfield winning 2-1 away to Sheffield United in the South Yorkshire Derby has given them confidence and Reading have not made a good start.

I am pleased with today's win as Coventry had also started the season well and have improved on last season. It was pleasing that we got stronger again late on as Coventry have scored stoppage time winners twice this season so are clearly a fit team. When we won 3-0 against them last season the Coventry local rag described us as mediocre so I am not sure whether they still hold that opinion of us after their team controlled the first half.

This slur on us is not true for the year 2021 where we would have finished third last season on form shown this year had the season only been 23 games of course.

I hope the break now will do us good and allow us to start games better and that it doesn't disrupt the momentum. So far we have largely got away with indifferent starts in this league but if we do cause a sensation and go up then starts like we have been making will see us four down by half time in the Premier league.
Coventry Match Thread on 20:07 - Aug 28 with 2311 viewskensalriser

Slightly stunned to realise that was my first win at the KP since we beat Villa in October 2018. Not many games to be fair but even so.

A little fortunate not to concede in the first half when Gyokeres especially was frequently getting the better of Dickie, but once we got to 60 mins Coventry were out of steam and we might have scored a third. As others have said, our possession game seems to leave us with more energy than the opposition as the second half progresses - it's not a coincidence that 9 of our 11 league goals have come in the second half and four of the five we've conceded have come in the first half.

Thought Cov were a decent side before we got on top with the two forwards plus Dabo and O'Hare all having good games. Moses looked good for us, up for it, always looking for the ball, hates making a mistake even when he hasn't.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Coventry Match Thread on 20:24 - Aug 28 with 2221 viewsjoe90

A good atmosphere at Loftus Road today, topped off by two good goals and a comfortable win.

Thought Coventry were okay. They really didn't look threatening upfront and never felt like they would score.

I actually don't mind our slow start, I feel we're more measured in our approach and handled the game much better through the different phases.

Subs were spot on today and Dykes was brilliant. Before he came on I was thinking we should swap Odubajo for Adomah to kick some life into the game, but Warbs made the right choice.

I thought McCallum looked a bit timid first half but got better as the game went on. Will be interesting to see how he progress's.

Not much else to say other than well done Rangers!
Coventry Match Thread on 20:27 - Aug 28 with 2203 viewsMaggsinho

Coventry Match Thread on 20:24 - Aug 28 by joe90

A good atmosphere at Loftus Road today, topped off by two good goals and a comfortable win.

Thought Coventry were okay. They really didn't look threatening upfront and never felt like they would score.

I actually don't mind our slow start, I feel we're more measured in our approach and handled the game much better through the different phases.

Subs were spot on today and Dykes was brilliant. Before he came on I was thinking we should swap Odubajo for Adomah to kick some life into the game, but Warbs made the right choice.

I thought McCallum looked a bit timid first half but got better as the game went on. Will be interesting to see how he progress's.

Not much else to say other than well done Rangers!

Dykes was like a man possessed when he came on. He knew he could curl them in with the outside of his foot like that?
Coventry Match Thread on 20:37 - Aug 28 with 2153 viewsBlackCrowe

Easy to be magnanimous in victory, but until we scored thought Coventry looked a very good side, who will cause trouble for many teams this season. The first half was pure end-to-end entertainment, just a great afternoon.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Coventry Match Thread on 21:02 - Aug 28 with 2016 viewsBoston

Coventry Match Thread on 20:37 - Aug 28 by BlackCrowe

Easy to be magnanimous in victory, but until we scored thought Coventry looked a very good side, who will cause trouble for many teams this season. The first half was pure end-to-end entertainment, just a great afternoon.

Another game of two halves.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Coventry Match Thread on 21:04 - Aug 28 with 2004 viewsslmrstid

The game itself...very much felt like "first to score will win" and so it proved.

But I loved it. I loved the crackling atmosphere. I love a happy Loftus Road. I loved it when R Block and P Block started singing to each other.

I love this team and the potential it has. We have people to be scared of, and we have no reason to fear anyone else. We're not going to win every game of course, but it was just wonderful to taste victory at home again (couldnt go Wednesday).

Probably all go to pot by January. But for now...well made up.

You R'sssssss
Coventry Match Thread on 21:13 - Aug 28 with 1952 viewsCiderwithRsie

Coventry Match Thread on 20:27 - Aug 28 by Maggsinho

Dykes was like a man possessed when he came on. He knew he could curl them in with the outside of his foot like that?

If you didn't see it, look at his second in the friendly v Man Utd (the video's still on the Offish, goal at 59.20). I don't think it's a fluke, the skill is in there to be developed.
Coventry Match Thread on 21:19 - Aug 28 with 1923 viewsBoston

Oooh look Mr McCarthy, there's a bloke in QU wearing a Kerry Football shirt.

Coventry Match Thread on 21:41 - Aug 28 with 1847 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Coventry Match Thread on 21:19 - Aug 28 by Boston

Oooh look Mr McCarthy, there's a bloke in QU wearing a Kerry Football shirt.

What???

Is this allowed?

Missed the game today due to a funeral, but just watching the highlights.

Three points:

1) Dykes's anticipation and movement for the goal, class
2) Barbet's first strike - sweet Jesus!
3) Austin's reaction to Barbet's goal - hands aloft, then starts berating himself, fifteen seconds later and he's still giving out to himself!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Coventry Match Thread on 22:02 - Aug 28 with 1737 viewsBoston

Busy thread, must be posts every 30 secs during the game, then we score and...

Edit...ha ha, was referring to Coventry's main mb, which I appear to have omitted or edited out!
[Post edited 29 Aug 2021 17:05]

Coventry Match Thread on 22:21 - Aug 28 with 1671 viewsLythamR

Coventry Match Thread on 19:00 - Aug 28 by Lanhoop

Barbet MOTM for me. Made a number of key blocks in the first half, always available and moving the ball smartly, one amazing diag to Moses that begged a cross but both Moses and Ball ducked out of and then the shot and following up to make himself available to Chas.

Barbet for me as well

2 blocks saved almost certain goals and that cross was sublime

many players certainly centre backs would have just stood and admired his shot, the fact that he then popped up in the box to score shows some serious desire to win, credit to Barbet, the team and Warburton.

I thought Willock had a really decent second half showing strength and resilience as well as flair, some people have been disappointed in Johansson so far and he has started games slowly but he has thrown in another big second half performance today.

Dickie had a fairly torrid first half but he stuck at it, whole team is to be commended.
Coventry Match Thread on 22:40 - Aug 28 with 1581 viewsterryb

Coventry Match Thread on 19:00 - Aug 28 by Lanhoop

And for me, his blocks in ther first half kept us in the game.

Jordie was also very good & Seny didn't make a mistake, but the alternative forMOM was Dykes. Lyndon was superb after coming on & won almost everything.

Cast your mind back to the away match at Coventry last season & how they nearly scored from every corner. They had quite a few again today, but I can't remember one that we didn't win unless they overhit it for a goal kick.

I rather like this team of ours!
Coventry Match Thread on 22:46 - Aug 28 with 1559 viewsted_hendrix

Coventry Match Thread on 22:40 - Aug 28 by terryb

And for me, his blocks in ther first half kept us in the game.

Jordie was also very good & Seny didn't make a mistake, but the alternative forMOM was Dykes. Lyndon was superb after coming on & won almost everything.

Cast your mind back to the away match at Coventry last season & how they nearly scored from every corner. They had quite a few again today, but I can't remember one that we didn't win unless they overhit it for a goal kick.

I rather like this team of ours!

They had 11 corners, we had 5.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Coventry Match Thread on 23:04 - Aug 28 with 1496 viewsDorse

Coventry Match Thread on 18:07 - Aug 28 by MrSheen

Jordy our best today over the whole game, kept us in it early. Dieng very solid and Dykes made a huge difference. Moses very lively going forward but seemed to be the hole Coventry ran into in the first half.
Two other things - the ref must be the founder of the Campaign for Free Kicks from the Right Place. Only idea in his head, ignored people kicking each other.
Real treat to see Coventry in their sky blue rather a generic away kit. Great support too, though the average age looked about 58.

Jordy de Wijs: a man so hard that he recently won a staring contest with the sun.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024