Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Palace match thread 13:26 - Jul 23 with 26552 viewsbosh67

I think we may get beaten. I’ll say 2-1 them but would be good if we could hold them.

If we lose…

Beale out
Everyone is rubbish
New signings terrible
Relegation scrap
That Eze lad looks useful

Just some of the things I expect to see if we do lose.

If we win…

Champions League by August or sack everyone

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Palace match thread on 11:51 - Jul 24 with 2465 viewsQPsyR

Palace match thread on 16:35 - Jul 23 by Antti_Heinola

I think they're fantastic.
We need more of that attitude at our club instead of the whingey, sarcastic cr@p we put up with at LR.
Not directed at you Brian.

Sorry mate but the Surrey Nigels are absolute wrong un's....a disgrace to South East London they make Charlton ( The trainspotters FFS) look normal

If you want to aspire (not that QPR need to - see below) to something else it's definitely not Palace

But We Are QPR the biggest small club in the world...

Palace Palace who the Fck are Palace
[Post edited 25 Jul 2022 13:12]

FKA AcidPixie

Palace match thread on 12:09 - Jul 24 with 2371 viewsParkRoyalR

Palace match thread on 09:40 - Jul 24 by distortR

Dykes movement, the game that exemplified for me was the defeat at Preston, we're on top but nothing happening, they go up, their forward gambles on the near post and they're ahead. I thought at the time, why doesn't Dykes do that? How do we get the best out of him?

If you watch Scotland he does, and he has scored very similar goals, albeit with a creative midfield that will give and go, cross early etc.

How do you get the best out of Dykes for us?

Ask, beg, plead with Ilias Chair to get his head up and release the boy early in the way that Willock and Eze do. Do not judge Dykes (or any of our forwards) when playing with Chair alone.

If you watch Dykes's goal versus Reading at home last season, he sees Willock has the ball, he knows the type of player Willock is (ie head up immediately looking for options) and Dykes goes....if that was Chair on the ball he would be well within his rights to hold his run and wait until Chair has had his obligatory 5 touches and then consider a forward run, by which time the defence would have been set and waiting.

If Shodipo and Taylor Richards can step up and play on one side the way Willock does, Dykes can get goals in this division, as can Bonne.

Most of the above criticisms from yesterday of Dykes yesterday are just the usual factually incorrect rehashes...

Did'nt look interested - not sure what this look is but looked interested enough when trying to get through 2 premier league centre halves to get onto Shodip's late cross
Did'nt win any headers - yes he did, 2 good knockdowns, maybe 4 flick-ons with no-one running on to, plus some very good lay-offs on the deck (plus one poor one)

Does he need to show his aggressive streak more (those Aussie Rules flying leaps) yes,
Can we build a goal-scoring attack around him, with Willock, as was seen last year when they played together, yes. These two need to be supplemented by another winger type or no 10 who can move the ball quickly and cross early.
Palace match thread on 12:13 - Jul 24 with 2359 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Palace match thread on 12:09 - Jul 24 by ParkRoyalR

If you watch Scotland he does, and he has scored very similar goals, albeit with a creative midfield that will give and go, cross early etc.

Ask, beg, plead with Ilias Chair to get his head up and release the boy early in the way that Willock and Eze do. Do not judge Dykes (or any of our forwards) when playing with Chair alone.

If you watch Dykes's goal versus Reading at home last season, he sees Willock has the ball, he knows the type of player Willock is (ie head up immediately looking for options) and Dykes goes....if that was Chair on the ball he would be well within his rights to hold his run and wait until Chair has had his obligatory 5 touches and then consider a forward run, by which time the defence would have been set and waiting.

If Shodipo and Taylor Richards can step up and play on one side the way Willock does, Dykes can get goals in this division, as can Bonne.

Most of the above criticisms from yesterday of Dykes yesterday are just the usual factually incorrect rehashes...

Did'nt look interested - not sure what this look is but looked interested enough when trying to get through 2 premier league centre halves to get onto Shodip's late cross
Did'nt win any headers - yes he did, 2 good knockdowns, maybe 4 flick-ons with no-one running on to, plus some very good lay-offs on the deck (plus one poor one)

Does he need to show his aggressive streak more (those Aussie Rules flying leaps) yes,
Can we build a goal-scoring attack around him, with Willock, as was seen last year when they played together, yes. These two need to be supplemented by another winger type or no 10 who can move the ball quickly and cross early.

Good to read.

I don't see games live so this is encouraging.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Palace match thread on 12:34 - Jul 24 with 2275 viewsdmm

I've been a staunch supporter of Dykes until this preseason but have now lost patience with him. I get what you say, and it's a well observed view, but I think he has so consistently failed to do the basic business a No 9 needs to do - even in the friendlies - that I now believe a new signing is needed for us to progress.

Maybe he'll sort out his short comings under Beale. I'd really like to think so as he does have ability.
Palace match thread on 12:40 - Jul 24 with 2237 viewsPinnerPaul

Palace match thread on 19:59 - Jul 23 by francisbowles

If none of the injured recover and we can't get a striker in before next week, I would start with Dykes and Bonne up front with Chair 'in the hole'. We tried that for a while second half and Chair was getting plenty of space.

Sinclair Armstrong and Albert on the bench to add pace if needed later on.

MB said all 4 WOULD be available and are in full training.

"As is stands we have no injuries" he said on offy.
Palace match thread on 12:42 - Jul 24 with 2226 viewsPinnerPaul

Palace match thread on 19:59 - Jul 23 by francisbowles

If none of the injured recover and we can't get a striker in before next week, I would start with Dykes and Bonne up front with Chair 'in the hole'. We tried that for a while second half and Chair was getting plenty of space.

Sinclair Armstrong and Albert on the bench to add pace if needed later on.

If we haven't played 2 up top in all pre season, can't see it happening Saturday and wouldn't be a great idea would it?
Palace match thread on 12:44 - Jul 24 with 2211 viewsPinnerPaul

Palace match thread on 08:00 - Jul 24 by Maggsinho

Yes, him, Amos and Roberts are all fit for Blackburn, albeit behind on their fitness.

and Richards
Palace match thread on 12:46 - Jul 24 with 2207 viewsMick_S

Palace match thread on 12:34 - Jul 24 by dmm

I've been a staunch supporter of Dykes until this preseason but have now lost patience with him. I get what you say, and it's a well observed view, but I think he has so consistently failed to do the basic business a No 9 needs to do - even in the friendlies - that I now believe a new signing is needed for us to progress.

Maybe he'll sort out his short comings under Beale. I'd really like to think so as he does have ability.

Same here, David.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Login to get fewer ads

Palace match thread on 12:46 - Jul 24 with 2193 viewsParkRoyalR

Palace match thread on 12:13 - Jul 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Good to read.

I don't see games live so this is encouraging.

Lots of questions from yesterday Brian

But the usual Dykes / Bonne click-bait type criticisms would'nt have made my top 5 from yesterday's game, my top 5 would be:

1) A clear game-plan. We all know how MW's teams played (maybe a weakness as so did the oppo) but I can't see a clear game-plan / pattern of play at the moment. Right now, we do not have the players to suit a 4-3-3, in defence, midfield or even attack.

2) Slow transition through midfield, it seems even slower this year than last, Bonne plays on the shoulder (or a yard past it!) and Dykes made a couple of good early runs yesterday, we just don't look for that Eze to Nakki Wells type ball enough. SJ looked very ponderous (likely against a Premier League team) but if he starts this season like he finished last (albiet with a niggle) we will need a Plan B for the deep sitting play-maker (why not Chair?)

3) Ossie's a great lad, but loses possession way too easy in advanced positions exposing Dickie, who when in a 2 and not a 3, will be easily exposed for pace. Goes without saying we need a pacy RB who plays like Paal (early days but plays a bit like Patrice Evra) and can cover Dickie's lack of pace.

4) Dozzell, usual game, one excellent pass, but does'nt do enough or work in a midfield 3 for me, especially with SJ being in the 3, Field will be run-ragged.

5) Dykes, needs to play in a 2 or with 2 no 10's playing off him as again yesterday was too easily isolated and no-one near enough to benefit from some decent knock-downs

They would be my top 5 from yesterday, foremost being formation, as I can see a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 with our current playing squad but not a 4-3-3.
Palace match thread on 12:53 - Jul 24 with 2147 viewsParkRoyalR

I get why your losing patience but I am still optimistic that he can recover his pre-Forest injury form.

I had a bad view at Crawley so can't comment too much on that game, but thought was decent playing as the lone striker against two premier league centre halves yesterday and scored a clever header against Wealdstone (similar to one incorrectly disallowed last year where he headed it back across the keeper) a decent penalty and also a couple of good lay-offs around the box (granted had time and space you won't get as easily in the championship)

I just think on what we've seen so far (albeit without Willock who carried our attack last year) we have bigger concerns than Dykes's, who we know when fit, can be an effective big-man type striker at this level.
Palace match thread on 12:54 - Jul 24 with 2140 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Palace match thread on 12:46 - Jul 24 by ParkRoyalR

Lots of questions from yesterday Brian

But the usual Dykes / Bonne click-bait type criticisms would'nt have made my top 5 from yesterday's game, my top 5 would be:

1) A clear game-plan. We all know how MW's teams played (maybe a weakness as so did the oppo) but I can't see a clear game-plan / pattern of play at the moment. Right now, we do not have the players to suit a 4-3-3, in defence, midfield or even attack.

2) Slow transition through midfield, it seems even slower this year than last, Bonne plays on the shoulder (or a yard past it!) and Dykes made a couple of good early runs yesterday, we just don't look for that Eze to Nakki Wells type ball enough. SJ looked very ponderous (likely against a Premier League team) but if he starts this season like he finished last (albiet with a niggle) we will need a Plan B for the deep sitting play-maker (why not Chair?)

3) Ossie's a great lad, but loses possession way too easy in advanced positions exposing Dickie, who when in a 2 and not a 3, will be easily exposed for pace. Goes without saying we need a pacy RB who plays like Paal (early days but plays a bit like Patrice Evra) and can cover Dickie's lack of pace.

4) Dozzell, usual game, one excellent pass, but does'nt do enough or work in a midfield 3 for me, especially with SJ being in the 3, Field will be run-ragged.

5) Dykes, needs to play in a 2 or with 2 no 10's playing off him as again yesterday was too easily isolated and no-one near enough to benefit from some decent knock-downs

They would be my top 5 from yesterday, foremost being formation, as I can see a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 with our current playing squad but not a 4-3-3.

Superb info.

Will watch the game again during the week as I really didn't pay enough attention yesterday. Was trying to do ten things at once and failed to do any of them right!

Thanks for the effort of two cracking posts.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Palace match thread on 13:07 - Jul 24 with 2090 viewsDannytheR

Same here. I was optimistic about Dykes for the first season and a half, and though the second half of last year was all a bit of a headscratcher, still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But he was disconnected from the rest of the team yesterday. It wasn't that he was physically isolated as a lone striker often is — he just didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as anyone else. Wouldn't claim that he isn't putting the effort in - I don't know enough about his fitness or what goes on in his head to say. But he was a spare part while on the pitch.

And from where I was, the couple of times he outjumped the Palace defence in the second half looked less like clever flick-ons, and more like a player taller than either Palace centre back getting randomly smacked in the face by the ball.
Palace match thread on 13:20 - Jul 24 with 2035 viewsBushRanger82

Same shit, different day.

Could well sum up the upcoming season.
Palace match thread on 13:26 - Jul 24 with 2001 viewsstanistheman

I watched the game and also noted Dykes failing to get on the end of a couple of decent crosses and also that he doesn't make near post runs.

If Willock is fit for next week he will play instead of Adomah and might just help improve our goal scoring chances as well as helping Dykes' game.

I also agree that Johansen. as the deep lying midfielder is not a great option , but perhaps the best one for him if he is to start games.

Maybe Richards will start next week in place of Dozzell. If not fit, play Amos as the No.8.

I agree that Armstrong should be given a chance during August and then deciding if a loan until January is best for him. However, I still think we need to sign another striker.

Whether it's Archer, Parrot, Wells or perhaps Balogun or A.N.Other we will need to add to our CF options as Bonne does not look like the answer for the Championship on what I have seen in pre season. He has scored goals, but is offside too often and his control looks weak. Maybe he can do a job as a sub, but as a starter in Beale's preferred formation the answer is a no from me.

Kakay had a good game yesterday but I doubt he will perform like that on a regular basis and so we still need to sign a new right back , preferably in time for the Blackburn game.
Palace match thread on 13:54 - Jul 24 with 1931 viewsessextaxiboy

You cant use the Reading game as an example , they were awful not even League 1 standard

He will get odd goals, maybe a 3 or 4 hot streak then revert to the dross , back on his heels not anticipating anything and being bossed by ordinary defenders.

Thought he was going to be an Aussie Duncan Ferguson imposing himself on the opposition , instead we have a tattooed Duncan Norvelle .

Bonne isnt great but his movement and touch is better than Dykes ... IMO
Palace match thread on 14:58 - Jul 24 with 1757 viewsBoston

I think he's been weighed down by his tattoos.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Palace match thread on 15:20 - Jul 24 with 1689 viewsParkRoyalR

Palace match thread on 13:54 - Jul 24 by essextaxiboy

You cant use the Reading game as an example , they were awful not even League 1 standard

He will get odd goals, maybe a 3 or 4 hot streak then revert to the dross , back on his heels not anticipating anything and being bossed by ordinary defenders.

Thought he was going to be an Aussie Duncan Ferguson imposing himself on the opposition , instead we have a tattooed Duncan Norvelle .

I used the Reading game as an example more so to highlight Willock's ability to play with his head-up, take 1 touch (not 3, 4 or more) and play a first time cross. Worth a watch.

If you or I were playing centre forward off Willock we would make those early runs, just like Wells and Hughill did off Eze, as you know the cross is coming. No surprise goals dried up for Wells and Hughill (both players on treble Dykes's wages) when not being serviced by a player like Eze. Similar to Dykes poor end of season without Willock.

Dykes is a better player for Scotland (including hitting the near post) same as when he plays with Willock as we all know he is the type of striker who needs service rather than being a Clive Allen type who creates his own goals, which Dykes rarely does.

Regards not getting on the end of Shodipo's cross (it was just over him and he was squeezed out by 2 premier league CB's) and going at another with his feet (rather than maybe a diving header), fairly harsh criticisms imo.

Regards only winning flick-ons b'cos the ball hit him in the face, and not being connected to the team (maybe they could get closer or even run past him once in a while) being dis-interested etc, I'll leave those for twitter.
Palace match thread on 15:54 - Jul 24 with 1615 viewsDamo1962

Palace match thread on 15:20 - Jul 24 by ParkRoyalR

I used the Reading game as an example more so to highlight Willock's ability to play with his head-up, take 1 touch (not 3, 4 or more) and play a first time cross. Worth a watch.

If you or I were playing centre forward off Willock we would make those early runs, just like Wells and Hughill did off Eze, as you know the cross is coming. No surprise goals dried up for Wells and Hughill (both players on treble Dykes's wages) when not being serviced by a player like Eze. Similar to Dykes poor end of season without Willock.

Dykes is a better player for Scotland (including hitting the near post) same as when he plays with Willock as we all know he is the type of striker who needs service rather than being a Clive Allen type who creates his own goals, which Dykes rarely does.

Regards not getting on the end of Shodipo's cross (it was just over him and he was squeezed out by 2 premier league CB's) and going at another with his feet (rather than maybe a diving header), fairly harsh criticisms imo.

Regards only winning flick-ons b'cos the ball hit him in the face, and not being connected to the team (maybe they could get closer or even run past him once in a while) being dis-interested etc, I'll leave those for twitter.

Think we all know that without a better striker than Dykes...we are going to struggle to be in the top half of the table. Our home form is still woeful as well. Get these two problems sorted, drop Johansson, and we should have enough to stay out of trouble. As always with QPR...my expectations are not very high. Prove me wrong Mr Beale.
Palace match thread on 16:08 - Jul 24 with 1576 viewsRs_Holy

Palace match thread on 13:54 - Jul 24 by essextaxiboy

I thought Dykes could have had a bit of the Niall Quinn’s about him initially but he just hasn’t progressed as we had hoped ☹️
Palace match thread on 16:12 - Jul 24 with 1545 viewsDannytheR

Palace match thread on 16:08 - Jul 24 by Rs_Holy

I thought Dykes could have had a bit of the Niall Quinn’s about him initially but he just hasn’t progressed as we had hoped ☹️

I wouldn't worry. Apparently the problem is that we just don't understood how good he really is.

I'm certainly relieved.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 16:13]
Palace match thread on 16:13 - Jul 24 with 1537 viewsTonto

Shall we just agree that Dykes will be our boo boy for the year (becuase we know having a boo boy is essential and always helps) and move on?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Palace match thread on 16:28 - Jul 24 with 1473 viewsDannytheR

Palace match thread on 16:13 - Jul 24 by Tonto

Shall we just agree that Dykes will be our boo boy for the year (becuase we know having a boo boy is essential and always helps) and move on?

Don't rule out Chair. Clearly the weak link in the team.

(Only half joking, given that people straight-facedly blamed him for us falling off a cliff in the second half of last season.)
Palace match thread on 16:29 - Jul 24 with 1471 viewsessextaxiboy

I would neverr boo him at a game
Palace match thread on 16:31 - Jul 24 with 1454 viewskensalriser

On his day Dykes is an adequate Championship striker but those days are too infrequent by way of repeated injuries and lack of form. And he's the best we have.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2022 16:32]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Palace match thread on 18:27 - Jul 24 with 1164 viewsRs_Holy

Nope we will probably back him and sing his name a lot as per last season… (even when he hadn’t scored for many games). He’s got all the attributes to be a real handful for oppo defenses if he could just put himself about a bit more and take a gamble on making incisive runs. I would love to be proved wrong btw.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024